Menu

Substitute for baby powder?

alisoncooks

Somehow I'm just now finding out that J&J pulled their traditional (talc) baby powder, and now it's no longer available in my local stores. 

They have a cornstarch-based version, but I don't like the smell. And it feels weird to me. 

Has anyone found a replacement for old school baby powder? Similar in smell and feel? I'd be glad to switch away from talc, but I haven't liked the scents of any new ones I've tried. 😞

Not for babies. Mostly inner thigh chafing, after shower use. 

I like the smell of traditional, now discontinued, J&J baby powder. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for a new kind that has a similar smell. (I also think the cornstarch based J&J feels strange -- thin yet scratchy -- but I'm willing to ignore that if the scent is what I'm looking for...)

29 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Not for babies. Mostly inner thigh chafing, after shower use. 

I like the smell of traditional, now discontinued, J&J baby powder. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for a new kind that has a similar smell. (I also think the cornstarch based J&J feels strange -- thin yet scratchy -- but I'm willing to ignore that if the scent is what I'm looking for...)

I recommend Chaffing Gel for between thighs- https://www.monistat.com/vaginal-complete-care-products/chafing-relief-powder-gel
My Target carries it - like $7/tube - more expensive than powder, but this stuff lasts and does an excellent job. Very little smell to no smell that I notice. 

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have heard that baby powder is extremely bad for babies.

Talc is also associated with ovarian cancer in women. I'm pretty sure my ob/gyn's intake form now has a question on it that says something like, "Have you regularly used talcum powder for feminine hygiene?"

ETA: ACOG now says no proven causal link, just an observed association: https://www.acog.org/news/news-releases/2017/09/talc-use-and-ovarian-cancer

Edited by MercyA