Menu

Intermittent fasters / insulin resistance warriors, please help me figure something out.

I have returned to my pre-weird-year habit of two meals a day, ideally at appx 11am and 5pm. Meals are generally low carb with a good balance of protein and quality fats. I’m usually quite satisfied by this routine. 

I now have an active swim class at 6 pm a few nights a week, so I’m eating a little earlier than 5pm. Problem is, after class at about 8pm I am super hungry. I need some ideas of what to eat at that hour that won’t trigger a big insulin response. Please help me out. 

Eating triggers insulin. You can have a lower calorie intake to lower the amount, but eating triggers insulin regardless. Protein triggers just as much as sugar, just slower, and in some people fat triggers insulin resistance even if it doesn’t trigger as much insulin itself. 

Something like a prepared protein shake is often about 160 calories and can help repair muscles. 

Years ago when I was into running they said 2% or whole  chocolate milk was an ideal muscle recovery drink; it had the right combo of carbs, protein, and electrolytes, and less calories than a protein shake. 

Any chance of shifting your eating window to better accomodate the swim time?

Otherwise, my suggestion is a nice leafy green veggie salad with a small amount of protein and dressing with some good fat in it. The salad will provide bulk and help you feel satisfied without piling on excess calories. 

• Like 1

It depends how your body responds to the food but maybe avocado, eggs, olives, salad, cooked spinach, roasted broccoli, 1/4 cup of nuts. Those are some foods I would eat if hungry. If you have to drive home, you could even have something to eat before the drive to give you time to feel satiated with a predetermined supply of food.

17 hours ago, Katy said:

Eating triggers insulin. You can have a lower calorie intake to lower the amount, but eating triggers insulin regardless. Protein triggers just as much as sugar, just slower, and in some people fat triggers insulin resistance even if it doesn’t trigger as much insulin itself. 

Something like a prepared protein shake is often about 160 calories and can help repair muscles. 

Years ago when I was into running they said 2% or whole  chocolate milk was an ideal muscle recovery drink; it had the right combo of carbs, protein, and electrolytes, and less calories than a protein shake. 

I'm in.  🙃

You can search "insulin index" for lists. Ideally, get a monitor to see how various foods affect you, specifically. The monitor and strips are pretty cheap, and you won't be doing it all the time. 

18 hours ago, Katy said:

But slower vs an insulin spike is hugely important.