Menu

ACS Chemistry

I know I've seen this program pop up here over the years but would love to hear more from anyone who has used it.  Any experiences to share? 

The price (free) can't be beat  and the lessons look solid, but the materials list makes me want to take a nap.  I swore I would never do another science program that didn't have a kit available.  OTOH ....DS16 will be doing AP Chem and surely the $300 lab kid I have to buy for that + the leftovers of his lab kit from 9th grade chem + all of other random science supplies lying around this house will include what we need (she says hopefully).  

Which one? The Inquiry in Action or Middle School Chemistry?

I only have experience with Middle School Chemistry.  It is a lab-intensive course, but very well done. It sounds like you probably will have enough around to run the experiments. We ended up using ice melt for the calcium chloride and Super Washing Soda for sodium carbonate because it called for a larger amount of those. I think I had to buy cupric chloride? 

It didn't take us a whole year to do it--I supplemented it with Carbon Chemistry by Ellen McHenry

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JennyD said:

Thanks for the feedback!  We'd do Middle School Chemistry. 

I forgot! There are some experiments that call for a cold pack or hot pack that you open and then use the chemical inside. If you email ACS, they will send single packs to you for free.  I couldn't find the ones that they indicated we should use at the stores, and online you had to buy 20 plus at a time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

I forgot! There are some experiments that call for a cold pack or hot pack that you open and then use the chemical inside. If you email ACS, they will send single packs to you for free.  I couldn't find the ones that they indicated we should use at the stores, and online you had to buy 20 plus at a time.  

Oh that is useful to know, thanks!  Clearly I need to go through this during the summer and sort it all out.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...