Menu

meal after an afternoon at the pool

kfeusse

I mix canned chicken breast, cream cheese, diced celery together as a sandwich spread for bread or crackers, boil a dozen eggs,  put out a tray of fruit, a tray of veggies and dip, and some sliced cheddar or Swiss. I am generous with the amount, and just let the boys descend on it like vultures on road kill.

• Like 2

we have a pool in our backyard and right now we're out for 2 hours after breakfast and 2 hours before or after dinner.  For dinner after the pool I've really been wanted non heavy foods.  So, grilled meat, veggies, and a fresh salad have been great.  Heavier meals have not been appealing at all unless I do laps while I'm in the pool.  Then I'm so hungry I could eat anything and everything

55 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

we have a pool in our backyard and right now we're out for 2 hours after breakfast and 2 hours before or after dinner.  For dinner after the pool I've really been wanted non heavy foods.  So, grilled meat, veggies, and a fresh salad have been great.  Heavier meals have not been appealing at all unless I do laps while I'm in the pool.  Then I'm so hungry I could eat anything and everything

This is the problem I have, that half of my family thinks of being "at the pool" as an opportunity to read a book in the nice cool water, or watch the children play, which puts us in the mood for something light and refreshing, like gazpacho, fake ceviche, fresh fruit.

Meanwhile, the other half of the family, thinks being "at the pool" means race each other up and down the length of the pool non stop for a few hours, which puts them in the mood to eat giant quantities of meat and carbs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, QueenCat said:

I order pizza and make an easy salad if I've been at my friend's house all afternoon. Or leftovers/sandwiches. That's about twice a week in the summer. 

This. Although we do frozen pizza, because son has celiac and I don't trust restaurant gluten free pizza to be actually gluten free. And it is even easier really, since no deciding what to get and from where, just turn on the oven, then grab it out of the freezer.  Make salad while it cooks, or before you go outside. Bagged salad kits are totally acceptable. 

8 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

This is the problem I have, that half of my family thinks of being "at the pool" as an opportunity to read a book in the nice cool water, or watch the children play, which puts us in the mood for something light and refreshing, like gazpacho, fake ceviche, fresh fruit.

Meanwhile, the other half of the family, thinks being "at the pool" means race each other up and down the length of the pool non stop for a few hours, which puts them in the mood to eat giant quantities of meat and carbs.

And this is why.  Those who are not as hungry eat salad, feel free to have cheese/crackers with it, or some diced chicken to top it with for protein. Again, precooked - either home cooked or store bought - is the way to go here. I cook up shredded chicken twice a week to put on salads and such. Those who are starving eat up the pizza. 

Or, if this is at a home and not a community pool, grill some chicken if you have a grill by the pool. You can cook it while they are swimming. Or cook up some hot dogs/burgers/portbello mushrooms/etc. 

I like to grill while the kids swim so I feel useful. We have a home pool, so we are out there a lot and I have to watch them, but I can grill too. Only so many times I can sweep off the patio, clean the filter, etc, lol. 

• Like 1

Oh! Or a rotisserie chicken and pasta salad if people eat carbs. Grilled chicken if you can grill while they swim. Pasta salad made ahead of time chilling in the fridge. Our favorite (even kids eat it and mine are picky!) is a pesto pasta salad with chunks or shredded mozzarella and halved cherry tomatoes. 

I miss carbs. And pasta with gluten. Sigh. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

oh we have days like that even with having a pool at home.  I almost always have a carb already made in the fridge.  Either quinoa, brown rice, roasted potatoes, chickpeas, or some for of bean.  So, usually I can make the light meal and they can add the carb food if they want.

I find that if I have that "can't eat because of the heat" feeling a big bowl of fruit is good--it can be refreshing and hydrating.  Some yogurt can add protein.

We also do: chicken salad,  hot dogs, hamburgers on the grill, pasta with chicken.  If kids are going to want something more substantial I will do something like taco meat or frito pie in the crock pot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kfeusse said:

What do you like to eat for supper after spending the afternoon in the sun at the pool?  Nothing seems appetizing, but I have to figure something out. 

Sheet pan dinner--roasted veggies, for certain. Maybe with meat added. If you need carbs you can quickly make rice.

Stir fry would be easy if you had things cut up before you left.

Omelets. Breakfast is dinner, lol.

Grilled cheese or ham & cheese sliders or BBQ pork sliders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

Cereal is always my go-to for something quick, easy, and cold.   It's one of my favorite foods.

During one of my pregnancies that was my dinner most nights. All I wanted. I remember coming back from the grocery store and DH saying, "Um...did you get anything for dinner?" And I looked at the 4 boxes of cereal I had just brought home and was utterly confused for a minute. Then realized non pregnant people might actually want something else. Oops. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2