Menu

Needing a swimsuit

vonfirmath

I need a new swimsuit. I've got one I bought (I think from Lands End) several years ago and it has gotten stretched such that it doesn't really work.

I love my daughter's tankini with a 3/4 sleeve rashguard on top and board shorts on bottom. BUT-- I've found I can't find anything like that for adults with a built in bra and sufficient support. 

In addition, if I want to swim at camp, I Must have a 1 piece suit (even though the 1 piece suits by and large are not as modest as a good 2 piece tankini. I understand this is easier to enforce than allowing some 2 piece suits and not others)

I'm even thinking of purchasing a basic 1 piece suit with the support I need and then purchasing a rashguard and board shorts to wear over it -- but those two layers are not exciting to me.  OTOH I do like the idea of not having to rely on sunscreen as much to avoid burning.

Any ideas/suggestions? I love to swim and be in the water and so I need to get something.

I got a suit at Target this year that is a one piece zip-up. The top is like a short sleeve rash guard. I'm a smallish person who has nursed four kids in the last 9 years, and it provides plenty of support. It isn't skimpy in the rear, but not as covering as shorts. My current #1 criterion for swim suits is "could a flailing child make this come off me." This one isn't perfect, but it's pretty ok.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Boy, I don't really know when it comes to a one piece. I have a pair of swim capris that I love and a swim dress, retro style, that goes with it. I am very comfy and can still swim laps, much less sunscreen to worry about. 

I wonder if there might be something from REI that would work.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Boy, I don't really know when it comes to a one piece. I have a pair of swim capris that I love and a swim dress, retro style, that goes with it. I am very comfy and can still swim laps, much less sunscreen to worry about. 

I wonder if there might be something from REI that would work.

I've been thinking swim dress if I can find one with built in support. Or maybe I go the swim bra + Swim dress way.

(And yes, when I'm not supervising children, my main pool activity is swimming laps)

Edited by vonfirmath

2 hours ago, Resilient said:

Do the people who make the one-piece rule ever have to use a bathroom? 

Given swim time is no more than 2 hours in a day, going to the restroom is not that big a deal. Do it as you dress and if you're healthy you shouldn't need to again until after.

7 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Given swim time is no more than 2 hours in a day, going to the restroom is not that big a deal. Do it as you dress and if you're healthy you shouldn't need to again until after.

But lots of people spend more than 2 hours in a day swimming - going to a pool, going to the beach, water park, etc. Unless the suit is only for camp where swim time has a designated start time, ease of bathroom use is a real factor. It definitely is one for me - and no, I can't always go 2 hours without peeing. Especially when I'm in water. 

• Thanks 1

This bra is made out of a similar material to a swimsuit - just thinner. Dries fast like a swimsuit. I actually went in the pool yesterday in this bra and a pair of yoga shorts!( I'd been exercising while supervising kids swimming, and they wanted me to come in with them and it seemed silly to go inside and change. I just took off my tank and went in wearing what I had on and was comfy and dried as fast as if I was in a bathing suit. )

Would easily work under a rash guard. https://amzn.to/3xccske

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

But lots of people spend more than 2 hours in a day swimming - going to a pool, going to the beach, water park, etc. Unless the suit is only for camp where swim time has a designated start time, ease of bathroom use is a real factor. It definitely is one for me - and no, I can't always go 2 hours without peeing. Especially when I'm in water. 

Until very very recently (when I started buying tankinis for my daughter) I only ever had a one piece swimsuit and I managed.  (include at swim meets when I was a kid when I definitely sometimes went to the restroom) So I guess I don't figure this is a big reason to argue against a policy that was probably set to avoid the arguments they would get for allowing some 2 piece swimsuits and not others.

Edited by vonfirmath

11 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Until very very recently (when I started buying tankinis for my daughter) I only ever had a one piece swimsuit and I managed.  (include at swim meets when I was a kid when I definitely sometimes went to the restroom) So I guess I don't figure this is a big reason to argue against a policy that was probably set to avoid the arguments they would get for allowing some 2 piece swimsuits and not others.

Well, it is a factor, and as their policy leaves room for skimpy one pieces but no full coverage two piece suits, the whole thing is silly and not going to do what they planned anyway, I'd bet. I've been looking for a new suit and a lot of the one piece suits are WAY skimpier than the two piece suits. 

It comes down to preference and practice.  When I am at the beach a couple of times a year, I put the swim suit on when I get dressed because I am in and out of the water 5 times a day. But I wear clothes when I am not in the water, so it is a hassle to use the bathroom with a one-piece. That was the scenario I was thinking of in my response.  

53 minutes ago, Resilient said:

It comes down to preference and practice.  When I am at the beach a couple of times a year, I put the swim suit on when I get dressed because I am in and out of the water 5 times a day. But I wear clothes when I am not in the water, so it is a hassle to use the bathroom with a one-piece. That was the scenario I was thinking of in my response.  

Right. IF it is JUST a once piece it can be a pain to drag up and down when wet, but no horrid. But if it is a one piece PLUS a rash guard over it, you have to mess with both wet, clinging items, then pull down the wet board shorts if you are wearing them as the OP mentioned, THEN the one piece down the rest of the way. 

Maybe it's just me, but I pee way more after swimming - between the temperature of the water, and the water pressure squeezing out any fluid in the tissues so it gets returned to the blood vessels and kidneys...I pee every 45minutes to 2 hours in the pool.