Menu

Mom in Va. who lived through Cultural Revolution addresses school board regarding Critical Race Theory

Fritz

1 hour ago, Fritz said:

I think this likely very true as well as the tendency to return children to white repeat drug offenders. It is maddening!

Yep, I have seen kids get returned who shouldn’t be and kids get taken out of the home when wraparound services to the family could strengthen and preserve the family. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LucyStoner said:

15 years ago if asked for my opinion about CPS, I would have said underfunded people trying to do good work and I believed that if CPS was removing kids they had a good reason/it was the right call.  What I have observed in the last decade has shown me that sometimes, and not just rarely, they get it horribly, horribly wrong.  Often times the primary target in DV looks less stable on paper- my sibling’s situation isn’t a one off. 

You'd think a history of DV would make that easy, though... ugh. That sounds more than suboptimal 😕 . 

12 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

You'd think a history of DV would make that easy, though... ugh. That sounds more than suboptimal 😕 . 

Abusers are very good at claiming that really, they are abused or the abused person is crazy.  

The same skills that allow abusers to groom their targets often allow them to groom and lie to other people, like social services.  In the wake of experiencing DV, people often appear to behave in irrational ways and may be in need of mental health services.  Accessing certain kinds of mental health services in a custody dispute though is a fantastic way to have one’s fitness as a parent successfully challenged.  

One of my sibling’s friends lost her kids in large part because she decided to go impatient for her mental health and that was used against her.  She has visitation and despite the documented history of DV, the primary aggressor has primary custody and decision making.  My sibling has managed to keep decision making and almost split parenting time but, informed by his friend’s experience, he’s probably gotten less medical care for his mental health needs than would be optimal.  

ETA:  Basically nothing about DV and custody disputes is easy.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Pen said:

not well afaik

Camden nj apparently has more policing, (not actually defunded but disbanded and restarted differently as article below explains)  and is still dangerous in comparison to other places in nj, though less dangerous than it had been 

https://progressive.org/latest/camden-didnt-defund-police-department-kalet-200630/

And that is something that is often done- in LA, when I lived there, a lot of the cities chose to contract with the Sheriff's dept.  

1 hour ago, LucyStoner said:

We have a program here that pairs diversion for mental health and poverty related low level crime with social service connections.  It’s a good program (I know people involved in running it personally). I’m not opposed to social services but it’s just a much more complicated landscape than “less policing, more mental health”

And police can help too- we had a police officer killed in my city in late 2019.  One of the facts that came out about him was his devotion to the homeless- he even made a notebook with names, photos, etc,  in order to help other policeman learn about the homeless living in our city.  

My city has upped mental health training by a lot and has contracted for mental health responders.

22 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

And police can help too- we had a police officer killed in my city in late 2019.  One of the facts that came out about him was his devotion to the homeless- he even made a notebook with names, photos, etc,  in order to help other policeman learn about the homeless living in our city.  

My city has upped mental health training by a lot and has contracted for mental health responders.

One of my high school classmates was just killed after 5 years on the police force when she stopped to help at the scene of an accident and was struck by another car.  Her job on the police force was centered around mental health.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...

https://1776unites.com/essays/our-open-letter-to-public-school-boards/

Thank you for the vital leadership role you play in ensuring schools empower all of our students to acquire the core American virtues and knowledge essential for citizenship in our racially diverse, multi-ethnic and pluralistic democracy. A peaceful and prosperous American future must be built on a shared understanding of our past that is accurate and truthful, but also celebratory and aspirational.

The prevailing narrative of racial grievance has been corrupting the instruction of American history and the humanities for many decades, but has accelerated dangerously over the past year. The most damaging effects of such instruction fall on lower income minority children, who are implicitly told that they are helpless victims with no power or agency to shape their own futures.

Also concerning are the results from the National Center of Education Statistics’ 2018 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP). Alarmingly, only 24 percent of eighth graders performed at or above NAEP Proficient standards for the Civics assessment and only 15 percent did so for the History assessment. These dismal achievements in gaining an understanding of democratic citizenship, government, historical facts and perspectives across time are low across all student backgrounds and virtually unchanged from the benchmarks established two decades ago.

We ask you, as stewards of public school systems around the country, to lead by example and embrace materials that will inspire the next generation, like those before them, to overcome challenges, achieve their goals, and live in a spirit of service to the common good.

We invite all those who are committed to quality education and fostering a genuine interest among our young people in how inspiring lessons from our past can inform our path forward to contact us at 1776 Unites (educate@1776unites.com), and to view and download our free lessons here.