Menu

Mom in Va. who lived through Cultural Revolution addresses school board regarding Critical Race Theory

Fritz

17 minutes ago, pinball said:

What state allows NRA cards?

what state allows NRA cards but NOT tribal IDs?

Texas lets you use a state issued hand gun permit

I saw Texas allows voters to use a state issued handgun license as well as several other options

Yes, it’s a gun permit, not NRA card.  I’ll correct it.  It doesn’t make it much better though.  

Edited by HeartString

21 minutes ago, pinball said:

But does Texas NOT accept a tribal ID?

According to this…https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/voter-id.aspx#Details.  In Texas a handgun Permit is explicitly spelled out as an acceptable document while a tribal ID is not.  Make of that what you will.  

That CO wanted so badly to keep tribal IDs from being accepted that it had to go to the Supreme Court and then took 2  additional years to settle that is absurd. 

ETA: there are many places that take both.  But the fact that it’s an issue at all is telling.  If this was the ONLY issue that would be one thing, but it’s a tiny bit on a huge stack of issues. 

Edited by HeartString
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Plum said:

These two moms that both left China, who live on opposite sides of the country, are sharing the same sentiments and there's nothing to that?

While I certainly think it is worth listening to their perspective and I honestly haven’t decided what I think about all of this and am still processing, I’m guessing it would not be difficult to find people who grew up in China and disagree with them. As I mentioned earlier, this was a very common occurrence during the last presidential election. People who grew up in the same country before coming to the US and being strongly for one candidate or the other based on their experiences and views.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

But since when are wealthy districts like Cupertino and Seattle And Loudon county representative of what’s happening all over. Far more often I see reports of teachers holding slave auctions and asking students to pick cotton. It doesn’t make me want to educate LESS, but MORE and differently.

Seattle is a wealthy area but Seattle Schools are not what I would call a wealthy district.  It’s a district that is largely segregated and as you know has long standing issues.  Fully 1/5 of the students living in SPS don’t go to public school at all.  

The schools my nieces and nephews attend have 40% (Seattle)-nearly 100% (Federal Way) rates of families qualifying for free and reduced lunch.  That Seattle is a fairly affluent city doesn’t erase that most people here are not affluent and there’s a lot of poverty.  

There are serious problems here and funneling resources to shoddy consulting and professional development helps perpetuate that rather than solve it.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

Voting access had racial roadblocks placed for many years, but does it now?  A certain position makes claims about ID requirements and policies against handing out water in line as racist policies, but the only way that holds up is if you honestly believe minorities are less capable of acquiring an ID or bringing their own water.  Are there any actual racist roadblocks to voting access now? 

I’m sure you understand that a policy or law does not have to be straight up racist in order for it to result in disparate outcomes based on race? Here are just two articles with links to others articles and studies. There is much, much more out there on this topic if you are interested.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/07/poll-prri-voter-suppression/565355/

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-black-americans-still-face-obstacles-to-voting-at-every-step-2020-6

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LucyStoner said:

Seattle is a wealthy area but Seattle Schools are not what I would call a wealthy district.  It’s a district that is largely segregated and as you know has long standing issues.  Fully 1/5 of the students living in SPS don’t go to public school at all.  

The schools my nieces and nephews attend have 40% (Seattle)-nearly 100% (Federal Way) rates of families qualifying for free and reduced lunch.  That Seattle is a fairly affluent city doesn’t erase that most people here are not affluent and there’s a lot of poverty.  

There are serious problems here and funneling resources to shoddy consulting and professional development helps perpetuate that rather than solve it.  

Yes there’s a lot of poverty OUTSIDE the city. Most SPS schools tho are not majority low-income, not even half, and the loudest voices are not families in poverty or marginalized groups. The more people in poverty get pushed out by the expense of living there, the worse the place has become. It does have serious problems but, they’re left wing woke people problems, what Rev. Sharpton calls latte liberals. I don’t agree with those people either. I’m definitely to their right. I just don’t think Seattle is representative of where most of America is or what’s happening in most of America (having lived there and many other places) and I don’t think it’s right or fair for extremes to define the terms of debate/discussion. By that measure, I could conjure up any number of really offensive racist activities, incidents, and assignments in schools, not just from the last five years, that demonstrate an absolute need for intervention. I find most training outfits kinda fly by night and a waste of professional development dollars, separate and apart from this issue. We’re not gonna get from a place where the blind are leading the blind without removing the blinders tho.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

Yes there’s a lot of poverty OUTSIDE the city. Most SPS schools tho are not majority low-income, not even half, and the loudest voices are not families in poverty or marginalized groups. The more people in poverty get pushed out by the expense of living there, the worse the place has become. It does have serious problems but, they’re left wing woke people problems, what Rev. Shared ton calls latte liberals. I don’t think it’s representative of where most of America is or what’s happening in most of America and I don’t think it’s right or fair for extremes to define the terms of debate/discussion.

Quite a lot of the schools in Seattle serve a large number of marginalized students.  The most affluent portion of Seattle doesn’t utilize the public schools.  I can think of a number of Seattle schools that are serving 40-50% students who qualify for free lunch.  And many of the students who don’t are close to that.  Yes, the affluent parents are the loudest and they have engineered a system where a handful of public schools feel more like private schools but that’s not the norm.  I don’t think it’s a good idea to erase the reality of poverty in richer areas.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LucyStoner said:

Quite a lot of the schools in Seattle serve a large number of marginalized students.  The most affluent portion of Seattle doesn’t utilize the public schools.  I can think of a number of Seattle schools that are serving 40-50% students who qualify for free lunch.  And many of the students who don’t are close to that.  Yes, the affluent parents are the loudest and they have engineered a system where a handful of public schools feel more like private schools but that’s not the norm.  I don’t think it’s a good idea to erase the reality of poverty in richer areas.  

No one is erasing it. The complaints aren’t generally coming from parents in poverty tho. They’re just not. Why is that? It seems to me there’s an attempt being made to let the loud voices/complaints of well-resourced parents drown out everything else, not the other way around.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, HeartString said:

According to this…https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/voter-id.aspx#Details.  In Texas a handgun Permit is explicitly spelled out as an acceptable document while a tribal ID is not.  Make of that what you will.  

That CO wanted so badly to keep tribal IDs from being accepted that it had to go to the Supreme Court and then took 2  additional years to settle that is absurd. 

ETA: there are many places that take both.  But the fact that it’s an issue at all is telling.  If this was the ONLY issue that would be one thing, but it’s a tiny bit on a huge stack of issues. 

Thanks.

i found this...

“For some members of native tribes, their only means of identification is their tribal ID. Native American tribal documents are federally issued and establish both identity and employment authorization. In fact, getting a tribal ID in Texas is more rigorous verification process: both a birth certificate and DNA testing is required. Nevertheless, Texas does not include tribal IDs as an acceptable form of proving identity at the polls. “

https://lettexasvote.org/bold-solutions/accept-more-ids-for-voting/

IMO, It seems like a tribal ID should be accepted. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Fritz said:

When I started this thread I truly had no idea that many of you had either never heard that this was being taught in school systems across the country, or where unaware of the controversy over it's implementation. I have been hearing about this for awhile now. Maybe because I do read/watch Fox news. 

I haven’t seen that anyone is unaware of this controversy at all. Rather,  I think there is disagreement about the nature of the controversy. In particular is the fact that Fox News in particular has been greatly amplifying this over the past few weeks, and that’s why we’re suddenly hearing about it everywhere.

3 hours ago, Fritz said:

Paraphrasing from the video, "If you believe in kids and teach them to believe in themselves they will rise to the occasion and succeed." IMO, that's the secret sauce no matter gender, race, or sex! This starts at home with the parents. I realize not every kid gets that from their parents. Having the schools do a better job of this rather than studying the wheel of privileges' or focusing on our perceived differences based on race seems likely to bring about a better outcome for all kids. 

I don’t like the whole wheel of privilege thing, but I think it’s totally missing the point to think that structural racism can be overcome just by addressing it in the home.  Part of the whole point, is that our system is set up such that it does not take just the same amount of effort for all kids to succeed.

2 hours ago, Condessa said:

I missed the quote. It had to do with Rufo being a nut.  I  can’t resolve the exact wording to respond to, but basically I wanted to make the point that what he said is underlying so much of this current discussion, whether people realize that’s where it’s coming from or not.  It’s kind of similar to when people are espousing Q anon ideas, but don’t realize that that’s where they originated from. Now, that’s not at all to say but there aren’t lots of valid criticisms of how this is being taught in schools, and I think we’re having a discussion about that, but the current conversation being had in the US about it today is largely based on what Rufo  and his ilk are trying to do, right down to the exact same arguments being made in this thread are the ones that they’ve been making their rounds on Fox News. Marxism, the specific examples, etc.

See, even if a lesson doesn’t go as far as making kids identify themselves as oppressed/oppressor, things like this connected to CRT are going to be a big problem for a lot of people.  These are exactly the type of claims that are made without evidence other than disproportionate outcomes and expected to be accepted that make the less extreme implementations of CRT still a big problem for many people.

Commercial banking, real estate and lending were racist, and that suppressed the development of generational wealth in minority communities.  But is it racist now?  Are these industries still placing roadblocks to minorities?  

Voting access had racial roadblocks placed for many years, but does it now?  A certain position makes claims about ID requirements and policies against handing out water in line as racist policies, but the only way that holds up is if you honestly believe minorities are less capable of acquiring an ID or bringing their own water.  Are there any actual racist roadblocks to voting access now?  

In education practices, the most common form of racist practice seems to be of the lessened expectation type (which is actually pushed by some proponents of CRT, such as in this math educator course promoted by the OR department of education https://equitablemath.org/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery that says making kids do independent work and show their work in math class are symptomatic of white supremacy).  In higher education, actual concrete policies at many schools favor most minorities while impeding Asian students with an actual racist policy.  Are there policies or practices in place in our country actually seeking to impede other minorities’ educational progress?

We cannot logically assume that anytime there are disparate outcomes between races, it must be caused by racism.  Correlation does not indicate causation.  If it did, disproportionate rates of incarceration between genders would indicate that men are being overwhelmingly oppressed with unjust mass imprisonment, which is ridiculous.  This doesn’t mean that the cause isn’t racism, either, but we have to actually show evidence of that, not just teach it as gospel to be accepted on faith.  

Correlation can also be caused by other factors; for example, the strongest statistical correlation between an environmental factor and poor educational outcomes, juvenile delinquency, criminal behavior, and incarceration is the lack of an intact family with the biological father in the home.  Doesn’t it stand to reason, then, that communities where this home situation is less common would have higher rates of these problems?

I’ve got to go, so I’m going to have to come back to this one later.

Edited by KSera

Correlation can also be caused by other factors; for example, the strongest statistical correlation between an environmental factor and poor educational outcomes, juvenile delinquency, criminal behavior, and incarceration is the lack of an intact family with the biological father in the home.  Doesn’t it stand to reason, then, that communities where this home situation is less common would have higher rates of these problems?

And why is it that black families are less likely to have a biological father in the home?  Might historical patterns of racial disparities in policing and sentencing have a lot to do with it?  You can’t say it’s not racism because it correlates with this other thing without asking how the other thing is affected by racism.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stripe said:

Here’s one — two black girls were declared valedictorian and salutatorian of their high school. They had high GPAs due to AP and Honors courses. Parents, including from the main family in town, who are white, insisted the handbook did not include the extra points in calculating valedictorian/salutatorian, and pressured the school to install two other (white) kids as well., who had the same UNweighted GPA but a lower weighted GPA. This is in Mississippi, where other young black women have sued, alleging their schools are calculating erroneously and this excluding them as valedictorians.

I read the article on the Chicago Times bc I could access it

this looks like the school made an error based on their own student handbook.

i think they did only thing thing the could have done to fix it, which was to make co-valedictorians and co-salutatorians.

19 minutes ago, Plum said:

That NV charter school, Democracy Prep Agassi campus is an inner city 97% minority 100% economically disadvantaged charter school within the 5th largest school district. 

One does not equal generally. I haven’t seen ANY reportage that suggests this was anything other than a singular parental complaint. I looked. Have you?

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, HeartString said:

It's not hard to determine the reasoning for those rules. And it has nothing to do with "voting security".

But people will continue to focus on CRT while completely ignoring the fact that official IDs for a whole segment of voters are not considered valid enough for elections.

But, really, America isn't a racist country. 🤮

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, pinball said:

i think they did only thing thing the could have done to fix it, which was to make co-valedictorians and co-salutatorians.

It looks like Mississippi has a recurrent theme of white students being later inserted as co-valedictorians/salutatorians when black students have higher weighted GPAs.  You will notice in the case below, the white students were given better advice and more opportunities from their counselor(s) while the black student was given inaccurate advice and steered towards lower level classes

https://mississippitoday.org/2019/10/23/court-rules-against-former-student-in-cleveland-school-district-discrimination-claim-over-shared-valedictorian-title/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stripe said:

It looks like Mississippi has a recurrent theme of white students being later inserted as co-valedictorians/salutatorians when black students have higher weighted GPAs.  You will notice in the case below, the white students were given better advice and more opportunities from their counselor(s) while the black student was given inaccurate advice and steered towards lower level classes

https://mississippitoday.org/2019/10/23/court-rules-against-former-student-in-cleveland-school-district-discrimination-claim-over-shared-valedictorian-title/

That site kept crashing. So I can’t comment

however, the story from this year seems pretty straight forward. It was the school’s error in the first place and they fixed it.

5 minutes ago, Plum said:

The Jewish community is concerned about CA's AB-101 ethnic studies curriculum and requirements legislation I posted up thread. It's an example of how an entire group is against this curriculum and for valid reasons. The public school system and states may have good intentions but their follow-through is always a trainwreck and this isn't something that should be screwed up. 

SANTA CRUZ, California (Press Release) – More than a thousand Californians, including nearly 70 rabbis, today petitioned the California Legislative Jewish Caucus to oppose AB 101, a bill to make ethnic studies courses a high school graduation requirement. The California Assembly is likely to debate AB 101 next week.

Although AB 101 recommends that school districts use the Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum (ESMC) recently approved by the California State Board of Education, it allows for the use of any curriculum approved by local school boards, including the rejected antisemitic and anti-Zionist first-draft of ESMC. The first draft was opposed by 20,000 Californians, the vast majority of Jewish organizations, and the Jewish Caucus, which stated clearly that it would “marginalize Jewish students and fuel hatred and discrimination against the Jewish community.” Governor Gavin Newsom promised the original curriculum “would never see the light of day.”

Dear Members of the California Legislative Jewish Caucus,

Although there is still considerable disagreement in the Jewish community about the Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum (ESMC) recently approved by the State Board of Education, both in terms of its specific content and its Critical Ethnic Studies framework, that is not our primary concern now. Rather, we are profoundly alarmed that while AB 101 recommends school districts use the SBE-approved ESMC in developing courses that would fulfill the graduation requirement, it also allows the use of any curriculum “approved by the governing board of the school district,” even the inflammatory and overtly antisemitic first draft of the ESMC. For reasons that will be explained below, we believe that if AB 101 becomes law, many if not most school districts in the state will choose to adopt the discredited first ESMC draft — or an even more extreme version of it — in implementing the law, thereby forcing all public and charter high school students to take a course that will incite tremendous ethnic and racial division, bigotry and harm, especially for Jewish students.

If AB 101 becomes law, hundreds of districts will have to quickly decide which ethnic studies curriculum to adopt as the basis for the new requirement, and although the bill encourages adoption of the SBE-approved ESMC, we believe that many, if not most, districts will prefer the highly problematic “liberated” curriculum because of the overwhelming endorsement of the antisemitic first draft of the ESMC by teachers unions and the higher education community, as well as the successful efforts of those promoting the “liberated” curriculum to create pathways for teacher training and professional development using a Critical Ethnic Studies framework.

Despite claims that AB 101 contains safeguards to prevent ethnic studies courses from promoting “bias, bigotry and discrimination,” such language is simply a restatement of a statute in the CA Education Code that has been on the books for decades. And as we have seen from highly politicized ethnic studies classes taught at the college level, these so-called guardrails will do nothing to prevent a curriculum based in Critical Ethnic Studies — whether approved by the SBE or promoted by the Liberated group — from portraying Jews and Israel in anti-Semitic and anti-Zionist ways, and inciting animus and harm towards Jewish students.

Given that the Jewish community does not have the bandwidth to oppose the adoption of the antisemitic “liberated” curriculum in each of the hundreds of school districts where it is likely to be considered if AB 101 becomes law, we urge you to take the lead once again in opposing this dangerous bill. The safety and well-being of our children and our community depends on it.

AMCHA Director Tammi Rossman-Benjamin recently testified before the California Assembly Education Committee in opposition to AB 101, and AMCHA submitted a formal and comprehensive position letter to the committee. The letter details how and why any curriculum rooted in Critical Ethnic Studies can easily become a vehicle for inciting division and hate, including antisemitism, since the discipline portrays Jewish Americans as racially privileged oppressors and Israel as a white supremacist apartheid state. AMCHA also points out that the rejected curriculum and the state-approved model curriculum stand in stark contrast to what legislators intended when they approved the bill mandating the development of the curriculum, which calls for a non-political, multicultural approach to ethnic studies that would prepare students in one of the most ethnically diverse states in the nation “to be global citizens with an appreciation for the contributions of multiple cultures.”

https://www.sdjewishworld.com/2021/05/20/advocates-petition-against-california-ethnic-studies-bill/

Ok. So there’s a proposal that’s being debated and recommendations that are being/have been revised. That’s an example of systems working, no? Criticisms occurred, plans were changed, input is still happening. Exactly what’s the problem? Nothing has been finalized yet. It’s sausage making in progress. What’s your alternative, mandates without guidance/input or no guidance at all? What would you prefer to see happen?

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, pinball said:

And hopefully they will change the policy going forward to use weighted GPAs. It’s hard to imagine why they would not want the student with the highest GPA who took the hardest classes to be valedictorian. Although as a former valedictorian, I think doing away with the whole designation makes more sense. If they want to do honors, just designate GPA cut-offs and group students that way, as many colleges do.

While I can understand to some degree the white parents wanting the handbook policy followed, did they not stop and think about what they were fundamentally asking for and what message they were sending? To make their children, who took easier classes, be given the honors over students who took more challenging classes? And the parent who said they had been actively tracking this since middle school? Please, get a life and let your child live theirs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

what Rev. Sharpton calls latte liberals. I don’t agree with those people either. I’m definitely to their right. I just don’t think Seattle is representative of where most of America is or what’s happening in most of America (having lived there and many other places) and I don’t think it’s right or fair for extremes to define the terms of debate/discussion. By that measure, I could conjure up any number of really offensive racist activities, incidents, and assignments in schools, not just from the last five years, that demonstrate an absolute need for intervention. I find most training outfits kinda fly by night and a waste of professional development dollars, separate and apart from this issue. We’re not gonna get from a place where the blind are leasing the blind without removing the blinders tho.

Looping back to this to say that I heavily associate clunky CRT *with the latte liberals*.  

Latte liberals love to “do the work” and they love to lecture working class people of all racial backgrounds using language from academic and activist contexts that most people don’t understand.  They make it about individual actions rather than fixing systemic problems.  It’s the same approach to fighting racism that they use “to fight” climate change.  Drive their $50k electric vehicle to Whole Foods and use $10 reusable bags and $40 water bottles they keep losing so they have to rebuy them.  

A group of Seattle latte liberals who either didn’t want to pay private school tuition or didn’t have students getting accepted to Lakeside or whatever and didn’t want their kids bussed anywhere got themselves together and pushed the school district to open them a pretty small high school in a part of town that didn’t really need a new high school.  The high school they opened is ALL IN on critical theory.  My friend lived nearby sent her son who is on the spectrum there.  It was appealing because besides being close to their apartment, it was small and after being homeschooled K-8, a small high school seemed better than a big one.  At an assembly he inadvertently got himself labelled a racist by all of his peers because, in a loud assembly people were asked to stand if they agreed with this that or the other statements and he sat in the back, he didn’t hear well and wasn’t comfortable standing even if he had understood when to sit and when to stand.  The school itself is a product of systemic racism- the same parents who got it founded also got racial tiebreakers for school placement eliminated which drastically worsened segregation in Seattle schools.  But let’s have a series of assemblies with a pricey trainer to talk about power and oppression (completely ignoring that some of the content may not be accessible for all students) rather than allocate the full resources in this school district equitably.  My friend had to transfer her son elsewhere.  

It’s all about analyzing if Rosa Parks is the right kind of civil rights leader to name a school after (that is not hyperbolic though I seriously wish it were) rather than getting shit done to fix the real problems.  

We can say Seattle and SF and wherever are outliers but bullshit ideas I heard several or more years ago in Seattle do seem to have gained momentum and spread.  And why not?  Latte liberalism is a fantastic way for people to reassure themselves that they can be anti-racist all while not changing anything about their lives except ordering the right books and hammering the right signs into the lawns of their totally unaffordable neighborhoods.  People like easy.  So easy ideas do gain momentum.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, HeartString said:

Wow.  This is horrendous.  We need an investigation, both on the individual level of these appraisers and lenders involved here and on a large scale check on the industry.  The link indicates an HUD investigation into the complaint, but that seems insufficient.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Danae said:

And why is it that black families are less likely to have a biological father in the home?  Might historical patterns of racial disparities in policing and sentencing have a lot to do with it?  You can’t say it’s not racism because it correlates with this other thing without asking how the other thing is affected by racism.

Some sociologists attribute it to the way 1970s welfare policy was structured to disallow payments and services to families with men in the home.  

When my parents were struggling and applied for food stamps in the early 80s, my mom was told, to her face by the social worker, to kick my dad out the front door and let him in the back door. 

Welfare policy is a valid part of a multi-factor examination of why this has come to pass but it’s one that is generally taboo on the left to discuss.  Poor families of all races tend to be more likely to be headed by single parents.  The book “Promises I Can Keep” explores why women living in poverty choose to have babies when they aren’t married or in stable long term partnerships.  It’s written from a progressive perspective and is very well done.  Another factor is the shifting of our economy so that there are fewer jobs that can support a family which do not require a college degree.  Criminal justice issues are also important to consider.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Wow.  This is horrendous.  We need an investigation, both on the individual level of these appraisers and lenders involved here and on a large scale check on the industry.  The link indicates an HUD investigation into the complaint, but that seems insufficient.

I’m 99% sure that absolutely nothing will happen. This is one of a half dozen or more stories exactly like that appraisal story that I’ve heard in the last 3 months or so.  Excuses will be made, “but we aren’t racist” magic words will be said and the story will fade.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Plum said:

Yes. With thousands of comments, serious debates, multiple rewrites and loads of controversy, it passed. Unfortunately, everything the Jewish community addressed seems to be coming true. 

"A half dozen members of the advisory group behind the first draft have joined others to create their own organization, the Liberated Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum Coalition, to promote what they consider the purer version of ethnic studies to school districts in California." 

And this was removed from the final draft:

“Engaging topics on race, class, gender, oppression, etc., may evoke feelings of vulnerability, uneasiness, sadness, guilt, helplessness, or discomfort, for students not previously exposed to explicit conversations about these topics.”  - and this is for grades 9-12

Isn’t that how policy SHOULD be made? Again, what part of that democratic process is offensive to you and how would you like it to change?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeartString said:

(Edit)Gun permits are acceptable ID but not tribal cards.  Make that make sense. 

Okay, I was confused because I was off searching for anything referencing NRA IDs with voting, but I see you edited this.

So in this article concerning North Dakota, government IDs for voting purposes have to include residence address or be accompanied by supplemental documentation of residence or documentation obtained from their county 911 coordinator to show residence for homeless and others who don’t have other documentation for whatever reason.  Tribal ID was accepted, but residents who hadn’t yet obtained the newer tribal IDs which had addresses on them had to bring the additional paperwork.  I don’t really see why a government ID that meets the requirements shouldn’t be acceptable, whether or not it is related to gun ownership.  https://www.npr.org/2018/10/13/657125819/many-native-ids-wont-be-accepted-at-north-dakota-polling-places 

Showing residence in the state where one is voting doesn’t seem like an extremely far-out measure in a bill intended to reinforce voter confidence in the system to prevent voting fraud.  But it really seems like the state government should have done more to help with rushing the new ID turnover once everyone knew the bill wasn’t going to be overturned.  Even if everyone knew about the bill for years beforehand, the fact that it only went through weeks before the general election seems to put a greater burden on the state government to assist tribal governments with the strain on their systems.

2 hours ago, stripe said:

I don’t know about NRA cards, but gun permits are allowed in Texas but not state university student IDs.

Here is an article explaining why IDs can be hard for some people to obtain. It sites over 600,000 registered voters in Texas alone who don’t have the required ID. It also says 11% of Americans have no photo ID.

As a Texas voter I find this a bit ridiculous about photo ID.  You do not need a photo ID to vote, since you get a non-photo ID card that is color coded to the election cycle in the mail that is perfectly acceptable voting id.  I’ve used it myself, several times.  You just need to keep your address updated (which isn’t overburdensome since your address is what is used to determine eligibility to vote in certain elections) and most people do it when they change address at the post office.

3 hours ago, HeartString said:

Why do black people need to bring water to vote in the first place?  Fewer polling places. 
https://www.npr.org/2020/10/17/924527679/why-do-nonwhite-georgia-voters-have-to-wait-in-line-for-hours-too-few-polling-pl

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1774221002
Counties with larger minority populations – most of them the urban centers of large metropolitan areas – were left with fewer polling sites and poll workers per active voter,

Okay, but is that because of racist policies, or is that because states plan where to position polling stations based on distances voters have to travel as well as on polling stations per capita?  And like you said, urban centers with higher population numbers tend to have larger minority populations.  That right there might be related to the generational wealth gap that is a long-term effect of racist policies of the past.  And perhaps we need to take a long, hard look at what should be done to try to correct those long-term effects trickling down through the generations.  

But does it follow that it is racist to position polling stations considering distances required to travel vs. solely on population numbers?  I mean, if someone wanted to, they could write an article showing that statistically, counties with larger Republican populations — most of them rural areas — required voters to travel significantly larger distances on average to be able to exercise their voting rights.  It would be mathematically accurate and could be painted as discriminatory against certain voters, but we would all recognize it as hogwash.  Because placing polling stations solely based on travel times would be just as unreasonable as placing them solely based on population numbers.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Plum said:

I thought you were questioning who else besides a few moms in Cupertino is opposed to these studies? The democratic process isn't offensive to me. I'm saying they had legit fears and were ignored. 

Umm, no, I’m questioning why we should let outliers be the driving force for policy. Listening to complaints isn’t an issue to me, neither is addressing them. I just totally disagree that we should have outliers centered in the discussion.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Okay, but is that because of racist policies, or is that because states plan where to position polling stations based on distances voters have to travel as well as on polling stations per capita?  And like you said, urban centers with higher population numbers tend to have larger minority populations.  That right there might be related to the generational wealth gap that is a long-term effect of racist policies of the past.  And perhaps we need to take a long, hard look at what should be done to try to correct those long-term effects trickling down through the generations.  

But does it follow that it is racist to position polling stations considering distances required to travel vs. solely on population numbers?  I mean, if someone wanted to, they could write an article showing that statistically, counties with larger Republican populations — most of them rural areas — required voters to travel significantly larger distances on average to be able to exercise their voting rights.  It would be mathematically accurate and could be painted as discriminatory against certain voters, but we would all recognize it as hogwash.  Because placing polling stations solely based on travel times would be just as unreasonable as placing them solely based on population numbers.

Oh I’m sure it has nothing to do with which who lives in those locations, or how they are likely to vote.  I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.  There’s bound to be a perfectly logical explanation for why they could have polling places in certain locations during one voting cycle but not the next. Nothing to see here folks.  Just toss it up there on the stack of perfectly reasonable coincidences.  Yep…waaay up there.  Golly, it’s a big stack.  But I’m sure there’s a perfectly logical explanation for that too…

If only 1 party hadn’t admitted that when more people vote they lose, admitting they were trying to make it harder for people to vote. 

Edited by HeartString
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, HeartString said:

Minority school get $23 BILLION less in funding yearly.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1774221002
The researchers at EdBuild calculated that racially concentrated non-white districts receive, on average, only $11,682 of funding per student, in comparison to $13,908 for racially concentrated, white districts. Collectively, this means that, as EdBuild notes, "nonwhite school districts receive $23 billion less than white districts, despite serving the same number of students."

Because significant portions of school funding come from local taxation, and again, there’s the generational wealth gap that is a large contributing factor to having disproportionate numbers of minority students in lower income school districts.  Also, rates of single motherhood are very strongly correlated with poverty rates.  But rather than call the schools racist, why don’t we address the root causes of this disparity?

This could be done by trying to address minority poverty directly, or by changing the school funding system to no longer be linked to local taxes.  There would be major uproar, but it could be done.  However, this wouldn’t bring about equity of school funding totally, because parents still donate to their children’s schools. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Are there rural places where every small town doesn’t have a polling place? I grew up in the rural Midwest and my mom was a poll worker for many, many years. Every small town in our rural county had a polling station. So people would come to town to vote just like they came to town for everything else (church, groceries, banking, etc). 

I think the focus is on whether or not policies and laws have a disparate racial outcome. They may not have been designed to be racist (although it’s pretty clear in some cases they are), but that doesn’t mean they don’t disproportionally disenfranchise certain groups. All of the evidence pretty overwhelming shows that voter disenfranchisement is a much larger issue than voter fraud. Of course it’s understandable why some people want to ignore the research and claim otherwise given who is generally being disenfranchised and which direction they generally tend to vote.

It is puzzling to me though why some want to straight up lie and claim massive fraud where it does not exist and undermine one of the bedrocks of our democracy, all the while claiming to be the true patriots who love our country.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Because significant portions of school funding come from local taxation, and again, there’s the generational wealth gap that is a large contributing factor to having disproportionate numbers of minority students in lower income school districts.  Also, rates of single motherhood are very strongly correlated with poverty rates.  But rather than call the schools racist, why don’t we address the root causes of this disparity?

This could be done by trying to address minority poverty directly, or by changing the school funding system to no longer be linked to local taxes.  There would be major uproar, but it could be done.  However, this wouldn’t bring about equity of school funding totally, because parents still donate to their children’s schools. 

You’ve picked apart every link I provided.  You’ve definitely proven that there are no systems in this country that are even inadvertently racist.  Boy am I relieved. 

Edited by HeartString
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Condessa said:

I don’t think people are necessarily calling the schools racist. Rather, they are saying that certain policies or laws have disparate results based on race (or poverty) and/or are discriminatory. I think when people jump to claiming they are being called racist they are the ones generally trying to deflect from the real issues and concerns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I am all for voting rights.  The biggest reason that states can pull the crap they are pulling right now is that the SCOTUS overturned the enforcement provisions of the Voting Rights Act.  That said, the idea that high turnout means Democrats will absolutely win (an idea that I have help close to my heart as an active Democrat) was not borne out this last fall.  The Democrats had very middling results in the house and senate even in states that very much went for Biden.  We can talk districting and voter suppression.  We can also talk, and need to talk, about why it was that so many people weren't moved to support down ballot Democrats.  Most of the election postmortems that I saw weren't very honest about the deficits in Democratic strategy.  I honestly don't think that in the absence of the pandemic, Biden would have won.  I don't like that (not one little bit) but I think it's true.  

ETA: In my state, two congressional races I think could be made competitive if the Democrats focused on issues once again re-elected Republicans.  Right wing gerrymandering or voter suppression is certainly NOT an issue here (we have motor voter and all mail in voting here) so the issue is that Democrats are losing on the message, even with astoundingly high voter turnout.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Plum said:

The Jewish community is concerned about CA's AB-101 ethnic studies curriculum and requirements legislation I posted up thread. It's an example of how an entire group is against this curriculum and for valid reasons. The public school system and states may have good intentions but their follow-through is always a trainwreck and this isn't something that should be screwed up. 

Honestly, this is true about just about any curriculum change in public schools. We've seen it with math instruction, reading instruction, and all kinds of things. For some reason I can't figure out, schools seem to be terrible at being able to recognize what curriculum actually have good research base to support them, and they are forever adopting awful programs. One of the reasons I didn't feel like our public schools were even an option for us was Everyday Math and sight reading curriculum. So, it certainly doesn't surprise me that schools are not doing a good job with this. I don't think throwing the baby out with the bathwater by just deciding we won't address race issues in schools is a solution. As I've said, that viewpoint takes a "white" view as the default.

8 minutes ago, Plum said:

I don't have Twitter so I didn't read the thread.

I don't have a Twitter account either, but all that means is I can't follow accounts or comment. You can still read whatever you want on Twitter (unless someone has a private account, but I almost never run into that). When a Twitter link is posted on TWTM, for some reason I find I usually have to ctrl-click on the date and open in a new tab in order to view it. Maybe that's just me.

6 minutes ago, Condessa said:

The funny thing is, I've been finding the majority of all your examples you've been posting are actually very good examples of structural racism, and the kind of things that should be taught in schools. Pointing out structural racism isn't the same thing as calling schools or individuals racist. Not recognizing it makes it almost impossible to fix. I agree with whoever said in this thread or another that it would be better to call what we're talking about structural racism than CRT. CRT has become a trigger word applied to a lot of things that aren't even about CRT (by design to get a reaction) to the point it seems unhelpful at this time. It's been co-opted.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, stripe said:

North Dakota did not allow tribal IDs in 2018. Supreme Court refused to hear the case.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/13/657125819/many-native-ids-wont-be-accepted-at-north-dakota-polling-places

Yes they did, according to your own link.  
They had to either have the newer Tribal IDs or use their Tribal ID plus additional documentation to show residency.

4 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

I am all for voting rights.  The biggest reason that states can pull the crap they are pulling right now is that the SCOTUS overturned the enforcement provisions of the Voting Rights Act.  That said, the idea that high turnout means Democrats will absolutely win (an idea that I have help close to my heart as an active Democrat) was not borne out this last fall.  The Democrats had very middling results in the house and senate even in states that very much went for Biden.  We can talk districting and voter suppression.  We can also talk, and need to talk, about why it was that so many people weren't moved to support down ballot Democrats.  Most of the election postmortems that I saw weren't very honest about the deficits in Democratic strategy.  I honestly don't think that in the absence of the pandemic, Biden would have won.  I don't like that (not one little bit) but I think it's true.  

I agree.  I do think voting access and gerrymandering and such have a bigger impact on the outcome in the states than on the federal level.  Is it WI where Dens got 54% of the vote for state legislature but got 48% of the seats?  Here’s a good article about it.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/madison.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/2020-election-again-shows-lopsided-republican-legislative-maps/article_d0c11425-df16-5d0b-a3e8-4954e7897652.amp.html

But even if Dems lose, voting access is important because it’s right.  

Edited by HeartString
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, stripe said:

Here’s one — two black girls were declared valedictorian and salutatorian of their high school. They had high GPAs due to AP and Honors courses. Parents, including from the main family in town, who are white, insisted the handbook did not include the extra points in calculating valedictorian/salutatorian, and pressured the school to install two other (white) kids as well., who had the same UNweighted GPA but a lower weighted GPA. This is in Mississippi, where other young black women have sued, alleging their schools are calculating erroneously and this excluding them as valedictorians.

I wish I could read this article, but it’s behind a paywall.

3 hours ago, Frances said:

I’m sure you understand that a policy or law does not have to be straight up racist in order for it to result in disparate outcomes based on race? Here are just two articles with links to others articles and studies. There is much, much more out there on this topic if you are interested.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/07/poll-prri-voter-suppression/565355/

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-black-americans-still-face-obstacles-to-voting-at-every-step-2020-6

Most definitely.  And when a policy or law results in disparate outcomes, we need to look into why that is, and what can be done about it.  I think that searching out root causes and addressing those is far more useful, and more truthful, than making vague generalized claims such as “The construct of White is legally favored by law, health care policy, education practices, policing and voting, commercial banking, real estate and lending, non-profit organization, environmental policies, and every other social scaffold” and using this to justify teaching school kids to divide themselves into oppressor/oppressed classes.

Edited by Condessa
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Plum said:

Tried that. I keep getting a log in screen. I think I had it at one point so I could read something. 🤷‍♀️ I'm on Chrome on my pc. Ahh worked on my phone. 

If I just go to Twitter.com, I am on a login screen that I can’t do anything with. I always get there via a link. Either a link to something someone has shared, or a link I have bookmarked to a curated list I like to follow. From there, I can use the search function or whatever else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sdel said:

As a Texas voter I find this a bit ridiculous about photo ID.  You do not need a photo ID to vote, since you get a non-photo ID card that is color coded to the election cycle in the mail that is perfectly acceptable voting id.  I’ve used it myself, several times.  You just need to keep your address updated (which isn’t overburdensome since your address is what is used to determine eligibility to vote in certain elections) and most people do it when they change address at the post office.

I am always asked for photo ID when I vote. In Texas. While Black. Yes, I also have my unexpired Voter ID card, but I am still asked for it. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Plum said:

What Nevada’s growing Jewish community loves about living Jewishly in the desert

https://www.timesofisrael.com/what-nevadas-growing-jewish-community-loves-about-living-jewishly-in-the-desert/

This rabbi wants Jewish community involved in battles for social justice

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/this-rabbi-wants-jewish-community-involved-in-battles-for-social-justice-670738

Shall I go on? 

This seriously reminds me of my relative lecturing me for using the word Hispanic and that the correct term was Latinx.  Some members of the left have ideas about group terminology that doesn’t actually consult members of the group.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Most definitely.  And when a policy or law results in disparate outcomes, we need to look into why that is, and what can be done about it.  I think that searching out root causes and addressing those is far more useful, and more truthful, than making vague generalized claims such as “The construct of White is legally favored by law, health care policy, education practices, policing and voting, commercial banking, real estate and lending, non-profit organization, environmental policies, and every other social scaffold” and using this to justify teaching school kids to divide themselves into oppressor/oppressed classes.

In order for people to both be willing to look at disparate outcomes and work towards solutions, people have to want to follow the facts and research and acknowledge problems and be open to working towards solutions. I’m not entirely sure of the best way to do that, but I do think the local control aspect of our education system can result in students graduating woefully unaware of both such historical  and current issues. While I generally agree with your last statement, I think one must also admit that there is a not insignificant number of people out there who want to deny there are any disparate policies or laws and are even actively working to make more of them. It’s not at all surprising given our country is becoming more diverse in multiple ways and some in the long dominant groups are feeling threatened and uncomfortable with the changes. Change is hard.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Condessa said:

This seriously reminds me of my relative lecturing me for using the word Hispanic and that the correct term was Latinx.  Some members of the left have ideas about group terminology that doesn’t actually consult members of the group.

In general I think there is too much diversity within these groups for anyone to claim to speak for the entire group. When I asked two people very close to me the  term they preferred, they said they had never thought about it and did not care at all. I’m pretty sure I could have asked two other people and got exactly the opposite answer, that they cared very much and this is the correct term. I do think people on both sides can error though. For instance, refusing to use a preferred term in a particular case because they disagree or don’t think it is important.

• Like 3

There's something about the conversation that's so puzzling to me, and that's the rhetorical leap from 'concerns about CRT training in schools' to 'people are denying racism exists and just trying to hold on to power with their white/Jewish/Asian hands.'

It really is possible to hold two thoughts in one's head: that racism and racists exist, including in systemic ways, and that it's OK to listen to critiques of how CRT inspired ideas are manifesting in schools. 

As a feminist, I had to get my head around the idea that critiquing manifestations of  patriarchy really has very little to do with individuals in front of me.

Are there men with immense power? Sure. Are most men and boys around me drenched in patriarchal power?

Well, not so much, and when you see the disadvantage some of them deal with by virtue of class, family dysfunction, disability, homelessness - yes, in a highly theoretical way they possess 'power', but in material terms, what does it mean?

Again, it's possible to believe two things. Racism exists. It damages. AND in a school setting, students must be seen as individuals, not as representatives of their identity class (es).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Danae said:

3 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

Some sociologists attribute it to the way 1970s welfare policy was structured to disallow payments and services to families with men in the home.  

When my parents were struggling and applied for food stamps in the early 80s, my mom was told, to her face by the social worker, to kick my dad out the front door and let him in the back door. 

Welfare policy is a valid part of a multi-factor examination of why this has come to pass but it’s one that is generally taboo on the left to discuss.  Poor families of all races tend to be more likely to be headed by single parents.  The book “Promises I Can Keep” explores why women living in poverty choose to have babies when they aren’t married or in stable long term partnerships.  It’s written from a progressive perspective and is very well done.  Another factor is the shifting of our economy so that there are fewer jobs that can support a family which do not require a college degree.  Criminal justice issues are also important to consider.  

image.gif.09958a40c1581d3f703601c9664046fd.gif
Data from Centers for Disease Control, National Center for Health Statistics
https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and-inequality/report/marriage-americas-greatest-weapon-against-child-poverty-0#_ftnref13

It seems likely that a factor in the disparity goes back to slavery and its destruction of Black marriages and families.  How many newly-freed Black Americans at the time of abolition had had their families broken, or never had a nuclear family because of the rape of slaveowners?  We know that children growing up without intact families are statistically less likely to have an intact family structure as an adult.

This doesn’t tell the whole story, though.  75.5% of Black babies were born to married parents in 1964, which dropped to 40.7% in 1976.  (The War on Poverty welfare reform was in the 60s).  It has continued to fall and was at 27.6% in 2008.

• Like 3

The ‘rhetorical leap’ is there because many, not all, of the people expressing ‘concerns’ do not want race or structural racism or any consideration of privilege to be part of public education. Full stop. They disingenuously use ‘concerns’ about specific incidents to advance that cause—not the cause of reform, or modification, or improvement, but blissful ignorance. Those concerns are selected by provocateurs and broadly disseminated through a web of like-minded media outlets, bloggers and drone social media accounts. It is a very effective way to disguise both the intent of the amplifiers and the scope/breadth of any problem.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

There's something about the conversation that's so puzzling to me, and that's the rhetorical leap from 'concerns about CRT training in schools' to 'people are denying racism exists and just trying to hold on to power with their white/Jewish/Asian hands.'

It really is possible to hold two thoughts in one's head: that racism and racists exist, including in systemic ways, and that it's OK to listen to critiques of how CRT inspired ideas are manifesting in schools. 

Is it also possible to hold a third thought at the same time? That some people  actively deny that structural racism exists and/or want to purposely steer the conversation to one extreme for political purposes and to fan the flames of the cultural wars? I’m not saying anyone on this thread is doing so, but certainly there are many leaders and media sources who do so to their benefit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Frances said:

Is it also possible to hold a third thought at the same time? That some people  actively deny that structural racism exists and/or want to purposely steer the conversation to one extreme for political purposes and to fan the flames of the cultural wars? I’m not saying anyone on this thread is doing so, but certainly there are many leaders and media sources who do so to their benefit.

Sure. It's how the media landscape works, for one thing. Outrage = clicks. 

But here's a fourth thought - my ideological opponent may weaponise an issue. That doesn't mean the issue is illusory. 

Look, I'm largely sympathetic to CRT. The home education I gave my kids was roughly in alignment with CRT principles. 

But in school? I'm sorry, but I cannot effectively teach small children while considering them as 'holding power'. I can consider what it means to be teacher literally holding all power in a room where children are not all like me, and that's appropriate as part of professional development. 

I'm thinking through  my own objections, and ironically, it has something to do with power and who holds it. I feel as if focusing on student identities is a magician's trick - look over here at the functionally powerless while the functionally powerful (admin and above) do....nothing that threatens their pay/position/status. 

• Like 8