Jump to content

Menu

Loki


klmama
 Share

Recommended Posts

MCU fans, what did you think of Loki???  

I'll start:  WOW!!!!!  What an interesting premise.  This is going to be a great series!  😀  Tom Hiddleston is wonderful, as always.  I liked Owen Wilson's character, Mobius. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was fun! I was especially tickled by the scene where he waited in line with a ticket, while watching a cartoon video on the wall. It was so much like the experience of waiting in line for a ride at WDW.

Loki and Mobius play well together, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of their interactions. I'm wondering if Owen Wilson will stick with his new hairstyle or go back to his signature golden mop.

I'm expecting it to get better and better as we learn more about what is going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OWEN WILSON!!! 
 

A long time celebrity crush. I haven’t seen Loki yet but definitely plan to. I hope this means Owen will be included in a future big screen feature (like Jeff Goldblum stole the show in Ragnorok). 

Edited by Seasider too
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My teen and I watch these Marvel shows together. Cool bonding time with a prickly teenager.

I loved Wanda. Just "eh" on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

I've been waiting for Loki! It sounds great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved it! Very interesting; I was a bit confused (my 20 yr old had to remind me about Loki's history before we started), and I was glad for the little intro scene. 

Based just on the first episode, I like it better than Wandavision or Falcon/Winter soldier. Very curious to see where it's going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gah. We're currently camping at the beach and haven't watched it. We were tempted go up to the clubhouse/general store (where there's actually wifi) and crowd around my iPhone to watch the first episode, lol, but decided to wait. 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 1:32 PM, Alicia64 said:

My teen and I watch these Marvel shows together. Cool bonding time with a prickly teenager.

I loved Wanda. Just "eh" on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

I've been waiting for Loki! It sounds great.

Dh and I are watching these shows but it was dss and ddil who recommended them to us. We recently finished watching all the Marvel movies in chronological order then started on the shows. At first we didn't like The Falcon and the Winter Soldier but several people told us to keep watching. I'm glad we did because we really liked it. We haven't watched Wanda Vision yet because it looks so weird but we're going to give it a try. Loki is also on our list but we want to finish the second half of Lucifer season 5 first. We're about halfway through - due to dh's work schedule we have limited tv time together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Dh and I are watching these shows but it was dss and ddil who recommended them to us. We recently finished watching all the Marvel movies in chronological order then started on the shows. At first we didn't like The Falcon and the Winter Soldier but several people told us to keep watching. I'm glad we did because we really liked it. We haven't watched Wanda Vision yet because it looks so weird but we're going to give it a try. Loki is also on our list but we want to finish the second half of Lucifer season 5 first. We're about halfway through - due to dh's work schedule we have limited tv time together.

Wanda Vision is great. The first two or three episodes are kind of weird, but it gets traction. So far, Wanda has been my favorite.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm supposed to watch Loki with my teens, but I couldn't get them off their video game, so...I snuck down to my room and watched it by myself. 😲 Don't judge me. 

Loved it, btw. And I'll be more than glad to watch it again with the girls when they finally get around to it!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed this week's episode. Still awed at the design, so cool. Still slightly confused but that's ok. My little boy's eyes widened at some of the philosophical discussion and you could just see the wheels turning in his mind; he was trying to express it, the idea of being outside time, but couldn't quite put it into words. It was cool though. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2021 at 11:23 PM, bookbard said:

Really enjoyed this week's episode. Still awed at the design, so cool. Still slightly confused but that's ok. My little boy's eyes widened at some of the philosophical discussion and you could just see the wheels turning in his mind; he was trying to express it, the idea of being outside time, but couldn't quite put it into words. It was cool though. 

I'm really enjoying it so much. Very curious to see where it's going, but loving the ride to get there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, we're hooked. It's been a while since we started watching something that isn't already finished or from a streaming service that doesn't drop the entire season at once. We have to wait a week for each new episode! 

We're two episodes in on WandaVision and though it's still weird it's starting to make sense. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Okay, we're hooked. It's been a while since we started watching something that isn't already finished or from a streaming service that doesn't drop the entire season at once. We have to wait a week for each new episode! 

We're two episodes in on WandaVision and though it's still weird it's starting to make sense. 

Wanda Vision continues to improve, hang with it. 

And yes, it's so weird the streaming services that drop once/week. Gah. DH is a pro at subscribing, unsubscribing, resubscribing, etc. so he waits until we have either lots of different once/week shows (like with Apple TV) or until the whole thing is released (we did the first season of Mandolorian that way) to minimize our time subscribed/maximize our usage of whichever service.  (I keep waiting for the services to wise up to this, but so far they all seem fine with a month or two on, three or four months off, a month or two on, etc...)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm loving it. I didn't have high expectations. I really loved Wandavision, but felt subtly let down by the ending, which was just okay. I found Falcon and Winter Soldier very meh. It had some good moments, but I didn't love it. This, though, holy carp. 

The aesthetic of both the opening and ending credits is perfection. The general look and feel of the TVA! Miss Minutes! It's SO divine. I have loved Gugu Mbatha-Rau for years and she's great in this. And so is Sylvie! And the whole premise. I'm withholding final judgment, but gosh I really love it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dh pointed out tonight that the music is always different for the end.  I'm not positive that's true for episodes 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 both had songs with lyrics, and they weren't the same.  

I'm really, really enjoying this show.  🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, klmama said:

When you watch today's Loki episode, be sure to keep it on through the mid-credits scene!  It's an interesting set-up for next week! 

We learned long ago to always stick with the credits when watching anything Marvel. 😄 

We usually don't get a chance to watch until Thursdays due to dh's schedule but were able to watch it tonight. Wow!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

We learned long ago to always stick with the credits when watching anything Marvel. 😄 

We usually don't get a chance to watch until Thursdays due to dh's schedule but were able to watch it tonight. Wow!

We are totally trained!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, one other thought... Loki has a very anti-Doctor Who feel to me. Like, both Loki and the Doctor come from destroyed planets where they are one of the few survivors. Both are "gods" in a sense - but opposites - the conception of the Doctor as the "lonely god" versus the god of mischief. Both have all of time and space and the episodes definitely had a jumping from place to place feel to them at first. But the Doctor uses all of time and space to roam about fixing random wrongs and Loki uses it to create chaos and destruction, even when he doesn't totally mean to. In Doctor Who, the world is a beautiful mystery and humans are amazing. In Loki, the world is a bureaucracy that limits everyone's potential and the world is cruel.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really wondering where they're going to take Loki in the upcoming movies, assuming he survives this series.  His character is growing by leaps and bounds -- self-awareness, honesty, concern for others... what's next???

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, klmama said:

I'm really wondering where they're going to take Loki in the upcoming movies, assuming he survives this series.  His character is growing by leaps and bounds -- self-awareness, honesty, concern for others... what's next???

Oh, I hope he survives this series!! All that growth would be such a waste if this is it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have mixed feelings about his survival. I mean, I'm not against it, I'm pulling for him, etc. etc. But there is this way that Marvel has of never letting the consequences stick that undermines every death scene. Like, is the scene in Infinity War where Gamora dies - arguably the HEART of the whole film! - as good a scene now that we know that an alternate universe Gamora is now back? Sure, there's some consequences and isn't it sad that she doesn't remember Peter Quill, yada yada yada... But come on. She's back. She'll certainly be part of the next Guardians film in some form. She didn't really die. I get weary with all these resets. It's like, look, I need there to be some sort of emotional consequences sometimes.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Farrar said:

I have mixed feelings about his survival. I mean, I'm not against it, I'm pulling for him, etc. etc. But there is this way that Marvel has of never letting the consequences stick that undermines every death scene. Like, is the scene in Infinity War where Gamora dies - arguably the HEART of the whole film! - as good a scene now that we know that an alternate universe Gamora is now back? Sure, there's some consequences and isn't it sad that she doesn't remember Peter Quill, yada yada yada... But come on. She's back. She'll certainly be part of the next Guardians film in some form. She didn't really die. I get weary with all these resets. It's like, look, I need there to be some sort of emotional consequences sometimes.

This is all very valid, and from a cinematography, story-writing standpoint -- you are 1000% right. 

I fully and freely admit that I am that kind of person who frankly still today cannot rewatch Infinity Wars because of all the horrific death in it.....even though I know there's a happy ending on the other side for the most part. I'm firmly in camp "No Emotional Consequences, Pretty Please."  It's a flaw I can live with about myself 😉 

 

ETA: To explain -- after we did see Infinity War the first time, I was so sucker punched, and so upset, we literally went out for pho after, and I just sat, sipping my soup, really, truly feeling like I was in mourning, or leaving a funeral, or.....I *hate* sad endings. Hate, hate, hate, cannot handle in the least, hate them.  So my viewpoint may well be even more skewed towards "Please give me a happy ending,." 

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mom31257 said:

I'm loving the series! I'm not a person super knowledgeable of the comics. Does anyone have a clue who the people were in the clip at the end of this last episode?

That threw me, too. My guys said, judging from I guess the costumes, they are all alternate Lokis.  That did not seem obvious to *me* at all, but all of my guys were in instant agreement on this, no argument at all, so......???

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

I'm loving the series! I'm not a person super knowledgeable of the comics. Does anyone have a clue who the people were in the clip at the end of this last episode?

They're apparently other Lokis.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheReader said:

That threw me, too. My guys said, judging from I guess the costumes, they are all alternate Lokis.  That did not seem obvious to *me* at all, but all of my guys were in instant agreement on this, no argument at all, so......???

It makes sense in a way that they could all end up the same place. The TVA has most likely captured and pruned others. I wouldn't have thought that, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

I'm loving the series! I'm not a person super knowledgeable of the comics. Does anyone have a clue who the people were in the clip at the end of this last episode?

Yes, dh picked up right away they were other Loki's- I'm not that attentive. Nerdist has a article detailing who they are and how they come into the comics.

https://nerdist.com/article/loki-episode-4-post-credits-reveal-explained/

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 3:08 PM, TheReader said:

ETA: To explain -- after we did see Infinity War the first time, I was so sucker punched, and so upset, we literally went out for pho after, and I just sat, sipping my soup, really, truly feeling like I was in mourning, or leaving a funeral, or....

This was me! I was just traumatized by the ending of Infinity War. I was in a funk for days. 

I'm interested in how Loki will end. I like the character growth of *this* Loki, but he's not the Loki who went through so much with Thor in Ragnarok, so their relationship (if he survives this series) will obviously be different. I just got home from seeing Black Widow, and the set-up for another story line with those characters really feels like they are replacing all the original Avengers to remake the name and bring in all new people. It makes me a little sad...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

This was me! I was just traumatized by the ending of Infinity War. I was in a funk for days. 

I'm interested in how Loki will end. I like the character growth of *this* Loki, but he's not the Loki who went through so much with Thor in Ragnarok, so their relationship (if he survives this series) will obviously be different. I just got home from seeing Black Widow, and the set-up for another story line with those characters really feels like they are replacing all the original Avengers to remake the name and bring in all new people. It makes me a little sad...

We had the same thoughts about Black Widow, too. 

And I agree on Loki -- I like how this Loki is growing....but he's still not the old Loki, and that one was so good. I'm curious how it will end up, and where on earth they're going with the MCU from here.....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't too happy with it. It answered questions, I guess. But it felt anticlimatic to me - maybe that's before I knew there'd be a Season 2 (stamped on a file in the credits). Definitely setting up for the new bad guy(s). I'm very curious as to what Miss Minutes gave Renslayer to read that made her leave.

I do find it interesting that you have so much character development in Loki, but Sylvie confirms that most Lokis don't experience that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually loved the ending. It was a cliffhanger in some ways (I especially would have preferred to see the judge's plot wrapped up a little more, though I didn't dislike what happened to her), but Jonathan Majors was such a good choice for that role. It resolved a lot of the questions and brought the theme back to the question of free will, which was present in the first episodes but sort of slowly faded into the background. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have liked the ending MUCH better if we'd known going in that there would be a Season 2.  As is, it left me feeling very tricked and hoodwinked and annoyed. But then, possibly that was intentional, because, Loki. So we should walk away feeling like that, right? 

Now that I've had time to disengage my emotions, LOL, I admit the ending was good, and I'm curious about what's coming up next.

DH said they probably had to stagger the seasons (b/c I was very annoyed about, "if it's going to be a 2 season thing, give us at least a full season/13 episodes! If it's only going to be 6 episodes, wrap it up, geez!") or that they had to cut it off where they did b/c they're setting up for the Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness, and we'll maybe get the wrap-up after that. Or something.  So I guess that's fair. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also wondered if Multiverse of Madness needed to come out before they could resolve everything.

I was really satisfied by a lot of the resolution of the deeper questions on the show. Like, is Loki trustworthy, can Sylvie trust, do we have free will and what are the consequences of free will. Not that they were all resolved per se, but I was very pleased by the level of exploration and the stopping point those questions got in the narrative.

The narrative itself... obviously that was on a cliffhanger to a large extent. I mean, In some ways it was tied up like a Ray Bradbury short story. Like, a twist is a way that some stories are resolved. The question was not, what will happen, but what will they do and who's behind it. We found out what Loki and Sylvie did about the void and about the man who remains and what was really behind the TVA. 

I am curious about what happens next, of course. And I'm really hoping they don't mess it up by making it all nonsense. Series that go on too long have a tendency to do that. But the MCU has traditionally had the main storylines really well planned way, way in advance (side romances, relationships, and little things not withstanding). So hopefully it works in the end.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I do agree with all of that on this one, now that I've gotten over being annoyed. Marvel tends to bring out strong emotions in me, LOL! I'm not a logical person with movies and things, so it takes a bit for me to process the emotions and then view it from a non-emotional standpoint and then decide what I think of it. 

Having done that, though, I think your assessment is pretty spot-on, @Farrar.  I liked all the time they spent on characters, and that the big things were more or less answered, and now we see there's still more to it, and that it will be interesting, and at least everyone's not dead, so that's good. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...