Menu

Ideas for an Edgy Alternative to Cartilage Piercing?

NewIma

My dd14 had her ears pierced a few years ago and it didn't go well. She lost an earing early on and couldn't get it back in. She had them repierced and it wasn't done right and created a lot of scar tissue. This is a BIG deal to her. 

She wants to get a cartilage piercing. I am not necessarily opposed, but she desperately wants it AND is anxious that as a swimmer, she won't be able to swim for half a year or so while it heals.  This is a ongoing obsession/debate and wearing us all out.

So...is there anything she could do that would be edgy but not a piercing that I can suggest? She has a side of her head shaved already.

Thank you for brainstorming with me. 

4 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

She definitely wants to make a permanent change to her body? 

Why is it so important to her to be “edgy?” There are so many other ways to express her individuality.

Edgy is her word. That is something her peer group is interested in I guess. I'll take other ideas too! lol

• Like 1

Just now, NewIma said:

Edgy is her word. That is something her peer group is interested in I guess. I'll take other ideas too! lol

I would definitely encourage the non-permanent options, and remind her that today’s edgy is tomorrow’s passé, so she should try to stick with temporary options if at all possible.

• Like 3

Yeah, I actually don't think of piercings as all that permanent, because you can generally just take them out.  My oldest researched and decided eyebrows were less painful than ear cuffs.  I would not be cool with a tongue piercing, because of dental damage.  

Just now, Terabith said:

Yeah, I actually don't think of piercings as all that permanent, because you can generally just take them out.  My oldest researched and decided eyebrows were less painful than ear cuffs.  I would not be cool with a tongue piercing, because of dental damage.  

I was told this is fine with plastic.

Just now, Slache said:

Are all piercings that drastic, healingwise? Like what about a teeny nose one? I always wanted my eyebrow done.

It is hard for me to tell. I can't seem to find a good source, only vague directions not to swim until the wound is healed which in cartilage could take up to a year. That seems crazy to me. 

Just now, NewIma said:

It is hard for me to tell. I can't seem to find a good source, only vague directions not to swim until the wound is healed which in cartilage could take up to a year. That seems crazy to me. 

Ask her pediatrician.

Cartilage piercings hurt A LOT.  Anytime someone wants one, I definitely suggest an ear cuff.  Since she’s had trouble with regular piercings I would expect she wouldn’t have an especially easy recovery from a cartilage piercing.  

My nieces (12, 14 in a week and 19) like chunky rings on their fingers and lots of bracelets (braided, leather, cuffs).  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NewIma said:

I was a competitive swimmer when I had cartilage piercings and never had a problem. I did have them done by a highly recommended professional piercer, not some random mall person (if they are even allowed to do that…?) FWIW.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tap said:

Ear cuff? Henna tatoo on the neck? (something pretty, not scary)

1 minute ago, LucyStoner said:

Cartilage piercings hurt A LOT.  Anytime someone wants one, I definitely suggest an ear cuff.  Since she’s had trouble with regular piercings I would expect she wouldn’t have an especially easy recovery from a cartilage piercing.  

My nieces (12, 14 in a week and 19) like chunky rings on their fingers and lots of bracelets (braided, leather, cuffs).  

I like the ear cuff idea, because there are a lot of fun options, yet when she gets sick of them, she stops wearing them, and that’s it. She will have no permanent holes or scars.

She is only 14. The permanent edgy thing she loves now may be her biggest regret by the time she’s 20.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

Are all piercings that drastic, healingwise? Like what about a teeny nose one? I always wanted my eyebrow done.

Nose piercings are odd healing wise.  It’s hard to know how fast the healing will be for different people.  Some people get a tiny stud and find that if they take it out even after a very short time, they have a permanent scar.  Some people have them for decades, take them out and it completely heals, no scar.  I was in that later category- I had a tiny nose stud for almost 20 years, it got knocked out roughhousing with my kids and I couldn’t get the thing back in 5 minutes later.  Within a two days, you couldn’t see that it had ever been there.  I’ve never bothered to get it redone.  

• Like 2

We like ear cuffs here. I don’t find that they hurt if I adjust the tightness to fit my ear. All of my daughters and I wear them for an “edgy” look but without the commitment of a cartilage piercing. One of DDs has one that connects to a matching earring with a chain that she wears if she wants something a little more bold. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Well, tongue piercings heal very quickly… 

Otherwise, I’d go with hair dye. I mean, a tattoo is certainly edgy, but I suspect 14 is a little young for that.

I don’t think tattoos are edgy anymore. Too common. I mean, where I live everyone from teenagers from grandparents have them. It is more edgy to not have one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I don’t think tattoos are edgy anymore. Too common. I mean, where I live everyone from teenagers from grandparents have them. It is more edgy to not have one.

That’s funny, because that was my other thought: go totally straight to be edgy.😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My DD is a slooow healer. Her ear piercing (done by a pro body piercing studio) took a year to heal. 

She likes cartilage piercings but isn't willing to go through it again. Instead, she wears a cuff there often. It looks like this: 

https://www.helloadorn.com/products/double-up-ear-cuff?currency=USD&variant=32810182803531&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8IaGBhCHARIsAGIRRYrTxhaX-XKFPQ9B7hIbkzR_9CDPYnThwtk91BOBA6tjKOSmk2vWcWQaAguoEALw_wcB

(but I think a jewelry-making friend made hers...)

19 hours ago, NewIma said:

That is too crazy for me! LOL

19 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I was actually sitting here thinking, PLEASE don’t let anyone suggest she pierce her tongue... PLEASE!!!  😂

Me too, but it reminded me of this sitcom bit from 20 years ago -

Edited by SusanC
shpeling
  • Haha 3

My dd had a cartilage piercing (you're talking upper ear, right?) when she was about 14 because her earlobes were too small to be pierced.  It was quite painful for awhile (she couldn't sleep on that side for weeks), but I sure don't remember being told that it takes that long to heal!  She was in our town's summer swim club every year, and she never had to skip that.  I think 1.5 years is wrong.

She also got a small tattoo on the back of one shoulder about that age.  Very small and delicate, a picture that has to do with her name, and honestly is covered under her clothes 99% of the time.  I guess I'm not sure if that's allowed in the US.  We were living in Latin America at the time (near where my little picture is from, next to my name!), and they certainly didn't have any age limits there.

Another dd got a belly piercing at age 16.  She thought it was very cool and edgy although barely anyone ever saw it.  🙂  She was on the swim team and of course those are always one-piece suits!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

They make faux septum rings if you don’t want her to actually get her septum pierced. Or just go for the piercing. 🙂 

It’s amazing how real the faux septum rings look — and for a 14yo, the appearance may be good enough, at least until she has had some time to try different options and see if she really likes any of them enough to make a more permanent choice.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Me too, but it reminded me of this sitcom bit from 20 years ago -

Shut up, that was NOT 20 years ago. Can't be. Was like...5....maybe. Otherwise I'm old, and that can't be true...

Also, I LOVED LOVED LOVED that show. I got pregnant with my oldest when I was 21, which although not a teen mom felt really young compared to many women, and we got married after, so I just identified a lot iwth the show. Except I was never as cool as that mom. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Haha 2

On 6/9/2021 at 10:38 PM, AngelaR said:

I’m assuming she already has a pair of Dr Martins?  Bc they’re always edgy and won’t permanently alter her appearance. Unless she loves them of course! 

This is a great idea! I will suggest that for sure!! 

Thank you all so much for your ideas! I knew the hive would come to my rescue!

A tongue piercing is a hard no from me, but a lot of the other ideas are super intriguing! I especially love the ear cuff, funky jewelry, and doc martens ideas. I'm going to wait until she brings it up again, but now I feel like I have something to offer to the discussion. Thank you all so much!!

• Like 2

My dd17 has a nose ring that looks like a piercing but isn’t. She got it from clares in like a three pack. I wore one of them around for a few days and it was not uncomfortable at all. I second the ear cuffs too. Dd16 also  has one that hooks to a chain to a regular earring, she got them from clares too.
What about an early Madonna look with lots of necklaces and the lace gloves! Dd16 is liking that look right now (without the religious jewelry) or the plaid skirts with the big safety pin, black boots and tights and a flannel shirt. I gave mine to dd16 heehee

8 hours ago, NewIma said:

Thank you all so much for your ideas! I knew the hive would come to my rescue!

A tongue piercing is a hard no from me, but a lot of the other ideas are super intriguing! I especially love the ear cuff, funky jewelry, and doc martens ideas. I'm going to wait until she brings it up again, but now I feel like I have something to offer to the discussion. Thank you all so much!!

Not to sound uncool, but I’ve read from reputable sources that tongue piercings can cause damage to teeth, especially if they are worn for longer periods of time.  Just so you are informed…