Menu

Brain changes in teens who didn't do maths

12 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Hmmm, super interesting. I wonder if that's correlation or causation? I see they took some pains to distinguish but I'd want to know more. 

• Like 2

Wouldn’t the inverse statement be more correct?  Math education into the early 20s for most people is a relatively  new development in human history so it would be more accurate to say that continuing math education causes certain brain changes?  Not that that’s a bad thing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Wouldn’t the inverse statement be more correct?  Math education into the early 20s for most people is a relatively  new development in human history so it would be more accurate to say that continuing math education causes certain brain changes?  Not that that’s a bad thing.

Yeah, that occurred to me too. Also I wondered if it was doing 'hard and new' stuff, so like if you started a new language, whether that would have a similar effect. But I'd have to look at the study rather than just the summary, lol. 

• Like 1

It's cool that they've found a specific chemical, but I don't think this sort of thing is surprising.  I'd expect that similar papers could be written for various neurotransmitters or 'activity in X part of the brain' associated with a lot of activities - pleasure reading, reading of dense material, foreign language, music, athletics, driving, etc.  There have been interesting studies on people who do 'The Knowledge of London', a hugh memory test for taxi drivers in London that people spend a year or more studying for - that amount of study changes the brain.  I think these studies are great for telling us what we are doing to our brains, but I am sometimes concerned that people will start to think that we need to force everybody to do all the things so that they have a 'properly developed' brain, when the reality is that most people can't do a ton of everything because being good at something takes a lot of time.  There is an argument to be made that if people can set themselves up for future success by doing a little bit of something every day then schools should require it, but I'm guessing that it takes more than just putting a math lesson in front of a 17yo - doing the work is what causes the change, and time spent doing math is time that isn't spent doing something else that affects another part of the brain.  

• Like 1