Menu

Why did no one tell me...

alisoncooks

...that those sugar-free Russell Stover candies were going to WREAK my stomach??!!

Holy. Heck. 

We're on vacation with my parents, and dad was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Mom brought some sugar-free snacks so he wouldn't feel left out.  Well, those dark chocolate turtles taste pretty darn good. I had a couple. Or a few.

(At lunch AND at dinner.)

I'm ruined. 😵 In a camper. With one bathroom. For six of us. Sigh...

• Sad 16

I'm so sorry! That sounds awful. 

Here we've discovered a couple things we need to avoid for health reasons, but that overall processed food wreaks havoc. 

I wish it were simpler--that we could just think of the one life-altering thing!--or that our food supply was not so messed up. 

What a joy if/when you find something that works for everyone. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the gummy bear laughs, lol. 

I feel okay, just soooo bloated and uncomfortably full. Lots of tummy gurgles. 😜

I never would've figured it out (traveling often disturbs my digestion), but then we began talking about digestion (or lack there of) of sugar alcohols and boom! Clarity! 😉

Get you some Gas X! BTDT....more than once. Stay away from sugar free ice cream as well, and certain protein bars. My parents bought popsicles for the kids once and I checked the label when I saw they wre sugar free and yup - malitol. Told them sorry, but no way were they eating those and then getting in the car for an hour and a half on a big stretch of highway with no bathroom!

But seriously, gas x will help. A lot. Also, Devrom helps deodorize the gas 🙂

• Like 3

Sorbitol, xylitol and/or manitol are often used in sugar free foods. They're polyols, which are common triggers for people with IBS. Sorbitol is the sugar that's in prunes. I have IBS and any of those will make me bloated, gassy and constipated--yes, the opposite effect they have on many people, but that's IBS for ya. I hope you're feeling better. Having an upset tummy of any sort is unpleasant, but it's awful in an RV.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Sorbitol, xylitol and/or manitol are often used in sugar free foods. They're polyols, which are common triggers for people with IBS. Sorbitol is the sugar that's in prunes. I have IBS and any of those will make me bloated, gassy and constipated--yes, the opposite effect they have on many people, but that's IBS for ya. I hope you're feeling better. Having an upset tummy of any sort is unpleasant, but it's awful in an RV.

I have the symptoms you list above. (Thankfully it didn't trigger diarrhea, like the gummy bears famously do.)  Still very uncomfortable but more manageable! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Just fyi: Eating too many bowls of cherries at once isn't a plan either.

@KungFuPandaThank you for the review. Hilarious and horrifying. Horrifarious!!

Where were you yesterday?

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Cherries have lots of sorbitol. And fructose, which is also a problem for lots of people.

So...that I just discovered my probiotic that I thought was causing me GI upset has xylitol as the first ingredient, and malitol as the second (and I do not tolerate xylitol AT ALL), plus then ate a bunch of cherries yesterday, which have sorbitol.....that may be why my belly is tight like a drum and I um, spent quality time in the bathroom this morning, lol? 

I took the last gas x in the house just now, took immodium this morning which Im regretting as maybe if I'd let it all out I'd not feel so bloated now...ordered more gasx to be delivered by 8am...as well as a new capsule based probiotic. But is there anything else I can do? I feel like I need someone to burp me, lol. 

And come to mention it, prunes do this to me too. Which sucks, cause I LOVE prunes...especially those lemon essence ones. And...when I was constipated during pregnancy my go to cure was to drink a bunch of apple juice...worked every time. So yeah...seems I'm pretty sensitve. 

And yet, I still want to go eat more cherries. I won't though, until I no longer feel like an overfilled helium balloon. 

• Like 1

Just now, alisoncooks said:

LOL, this is precisely how I felt yesterday! So uncomfortably *full.* Ugh. 

I'm all better today. I did catch myself considering that bag of sugar-free candies...but walked away. 

LOL. I can't buy a bag of them because I KNOW I will eat too many. Malitol I can have in small doses. Erythritol same. But I don't eat candy in small doses, lol. 

I'm supposed to do a yoga class via zoom tonight, with DH joining in. That might be interesting, lol. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

is there anything else I can do? I feel like I need someone to burp me, lol. 

Hot compress on the tummy, and chew some ginger slices if you have ginger in the house. Unsweetened ginger tea would help too if you don’t have ginger at home. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Hot compress on the tummy, and chew some ginger slices if you have ginger in the house. Unsweetened ginger tea would help too if you don’t have ginger at home. 

ooh, I do have ginger tea! Good idea. This is miserable! 

And now I'm reading up on low FODMAP because I have off and on diarrhea...and I know I react to too much fructose, can't tolerate inulin at all, or polyols. I actually checked the label because I was wondering if it had inulin in it - a lot of probiotic products add it as a prebiotic. Instead found the xylitol and malitol. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Where were you yesterday?

So...that I just discovered my probiotic that I thought was causing me GI upset has xylitol as the first ingredient, and malitol as the second (and I do not tolerate xylitol AT ALL), plus then ate a bunch of cherries yesterday, which have sorbitol.....that may be why my belly is tight like a drum and I um, spent quality time in the bathroom this morning, lol? 

I took the last gas x in the house just now, took immodium this morning which Im regretting as maybe if I'd let it all out I'd not feel so bloated now...ordered more gasx to be delivered by 8am...as well as a new capsule based probiotic. But is there anything else I can do? I feel like I need someone to burp me, lol. 

And come to mention it, prunes do this to me too. Which sucks, cause I LOVE prunes...especially those lemon essence ones. And...when I was constipated during pregnancy my go to cure was to drink a bunch of apple juice...worked every time. So yeah...seems I'm pretty sensitve. 

And yet, I still want to go eat more cherries. I won't though, until I no longer feel like an overfilled helium balloon. 

Skipping the Imodium might not have made any difference. With IBS it's believed that offending foods cause the GI tract to distend. IME once that distension happens only time helps ease it. The distension results in changes in intestinal motility so people with IBS end up with diarrhea or constipation or a combination of both. When mine flares I just have to wait for the distension to calm down, and of course be extremely careful with food choices while waiting. Mostly I try very hard to avoid my triggers. This is a fairly good, easily read explainer, but there are lots of scholarly articles about IBS, luminal distension and the FODMAP diet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

Skipping the Imodium might not have made any difference. With IBS it's believed that offending foods cause the GI tract to distend. IME once that distension happens only time helps ease it. The distension results in changes in intestinal motility so people with IBS end up with diarrhea or constipation or a combination of both. When mine flares I just have to wait for the distension to calm down, and of course be extremely careful with food choices while waiting. Mostly I try very hard to avoid my triggers. This is a fairly good, easily read explainer, but there are lots of scholarly articles about IBS, luminal distension and the FODMAP diet.

Thank you! For a while, I thought I was getting diarrhea (always in the morning) from eating sugar before bed - sugar can cause issues post bariatric surgery. But then I cut out the sugar and still had intermittant issues. Now, I'm wondering if this is the problem.  I'm eating healthier, but a lot of it is stuff that is fermentable, lol. I think adding in the stupid xylitol product, plus cherries, on top of the regular stuff, just put me way over the edge. Like, I might be able to have onions OR broccoli or cherries, but not all in the same day. You know, like I did yesterday. Plus the xylitol containing probiotics. Then had more onions at breakfast and lunch, plus broccoli for a snack today. Was feeling a bit better before that snack of broccoli (roasted and mixed with onions, actually). That was maybe the last straw. Dinner will be liquid - having a lactose free latte now, might have ginger tea later. No room for food right now. 

At least, thanks to this thread, I figured it out! There should be a freaking warning label on products with sugar alcohols in them!

• Like 2