Menu

Can probiotics upset your GI tract?

ktgrok

Thank you! I eat veggies at every meal, plus some fruit, so I'm not too worried about fiber. This is just gas...the bloating kind where my belly is visibly bigger. 
What's annoying is I meant to order one of their other probiotics, not this one. And this one doesn't seem to agree with me. 

Huh. Now I'm wondering the same thing myself. I recently started taking a probiotic that I bought from my gynecologist (she also treats a number of women's issues so it's not weird that she sells probiotics). Ever since I started taking them I've been feeling bloated. I do have several gut issues so I didn't make the connection until I saw this post. I'm going to stop taking them and see if it goes away.

12 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Huh. Now I'm wondering the same thing myself. I recently started taking a probiotic that I bought from my gynecologist (she also treats a number of women's issues so it's not weird that she sells probiotics). Ever since I started taking them I've been feeling bloated. I do have several gut issues so I didn't make the connection until I saw this post. I'm going to stop taking them and see if it goes away.

Yeah, I do NOT usually get abdominal bloating like that. Not even with an upset stomach. This was visible, and got better when I stopped it, then I took them for two days and got worse. Ugh. 

• Like 1

Yes.  We encouraged probiotics for my dad, and it actually made him very sick.  I think his situation is a little unusual, and maybe has to do with his age (93).  But still -- yes.

I talked with an infectious disease doc at Mayo and asked him which probiotic my dh should be taking for his health concerns (including needing to take antibiotics indefinitely), and he told me just plain natural yogurt.  Much more gentle on your stomach and with the same effect.  So, my dh takes about 1/4 cup of that every day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Oh! My teen recently tried a medication that should have had no impact on the gut, but produced a lot of intestinal gas. A little research found that it had a dairy component in the filler, and this kid is lactose intolerant. With the pharmacist’s ok, started taking lactaid at the same time. Eliminated the gi problem immediately. Doc eventually switched her to something dairy free. 

It's crazy how deceptive "normal" items can be when it comes to allergens. I had no idea that some pizza chains use peanut butter as a sauce thickener until we made friends with a homeschool family whose child had* a severe peanut allergy. I would never in a million years have thought such a thing. Dairy, gluten, tree nuts, even eggs and other food allergens - they're often in food and non food items where you just wouldn't expect them to be.

*I said had a peanut allergy but I guess it's something they'll always have. They successfully completed OIT several years ago but will always need to eat some form of peanuts for life as maintenance, or at least until a complete and permanent cure is found.

Edited by Lady Florida.

Mystery solved! Just actually checked the inactive ingredients - xylitol is the first ingredient! And malitol is the second! I can handle a LITTLE malitol, but only a tiny amount or get wicked gassy... and xylitol I can't have AT ALL. Their other products I've used don't use those sugar alcohols - didn't even think to check for xylitol!

UGH! No wonder! 

About to order more phazyme or gasx, cause I'm still miserable a day later. (I did also eat a bunch of fresh cherries yesterday, have had peppers/onions/brocoli, etc, so lots of other gas producing foods, but normally I'm fine)