Menu

WTMA Physics For The Logic Stage?

Any experience with this?  The teacher is Monica Bennett. This is for my 13yo who is very science and math minded but does not like to read.  His auditory comprehension is very high and he is a great writer.  His mental math skills, problem solving, and engineering skills are incredible.  He just hates reading, I think because he spent several years avoiding it due to undiagnosed vision issues. He loves hands-on science.  I have not done a "rigorous" classical-style class with him because he has thrived with project-based learning.  But he needs to step it up for 8th grade.  I'm looking to up the challenge and prepare him for high school but not overwhelm him. 

From the syllabus for that WTMA Physics course, it does not sound like a match.
Your DS loves hands-on -- this class has no lab work (have to sign up for a separate lab course to get the hands-on).
Your DS hates to read -- in addition to reading the textbook, this class requires reading about labs, finding and reading something in order to write a "primary source analysis" (1st semester) and reading more sources to write a research paper (2nd semester).

Jetta of Clover Creek Science offers Conceptual Physics, using the same text, but with more videos and actual hands-on. However, alas, her class is also full.

If really needing to outsource, perhaps use the money you would have spent on a class and hire a local engineering college student to come in once a week and work with your DS as he goes through that Conceptual Physics text and do hands-on labs together?

JMO, but I would possibly reconsider heading toward a "classical" method for Science for several reasons -- mostly because it doesn't look like a good match for helping your DS make the most of his natural passion and strengths for science/engineering. If by "classical" you mean the WTM method of reading textbooks, note-taking, and doing some formal labs -- that sounds like a real joy-killer for your DS who has excelling with the projects-based learning. 

You mentioned "stepping up the rigor" as one of your goals. Rigor has to do with depth of study and materials used, not method. You can absolutely do rigorous science while not following a traditional "classical" method. 😄 

Check out past threads by @lewelma -- her DSs were doing amazing, rigorous science in elementary/middle school grades and through high school -- her oldest is at MIT now. (see her in-depth explanations of how they do science in these threads: Scientific Inquiry, and, Science again -- someone shoot me now) And @8filltheheart put together advanced science studies for her science/engineering-minded student -- who went on a full-tuition scholarship to a well-ranked engineering university and got to do some great research from early on, because of his rigorous deep studies tailored for him in homeschool high school. Neither family followed a traditional "classical" model, which allowed them to be extremely rigorous in the ways that complemented and encouraged their DC's strengths and interests in science/engineering.

Some ideas, take or leave as it helps/doesn't help 😉 -- maybe look for local things like:

local hands-on options, such as:
- a group that prepares for and participates in a regional Science Fair
- engineering or robotics team
- Olympiad team

local supplemental options, such as:
- 4-H rocketry
- all-ages rocketry club
- electronics club

self-teach himself computer coding and/or computer science basics:
Code Academy
Code.org
Khan Academy
Code Combat
Code Monster 
- Typing.com: Computer Basics
- Norton Security: Computer Guide for Students

self-exploration software involving engineering in a simple form:
Kerbal Space Program - fantastic game/software for creating vehicles and completing missions into space
- World of Goo

Tinker CAD - beginning/exploration CAD program for turning ideas into blueprints/designs

hands-on engineering possibilities:
Make, Do
Tinker Crate or Maker Crate or Eureka Crate
Lego MindStorm
Raspberry Pi projects
electronics kits

BEST of luck in finding what is rigorous and helps your DS explore his love of science/engineering! 😄 Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 3

@Lori D. Thank you!  I really appreciate your comments.  I don't know what to do with him, honestly.  He wants a teacher that he can interact with and ask questions and I think he would love the dynamic of an online class with peers.  We are moving out of state as soon as we can, but with no definite timeframe, so I don't want to set up anything for him in person that I will have to pull him from.  We have been doing Supercharged Science for over two years and he has thrived with the labs and projects.  He really enjoyed her live classes this year, but there are tons of kids in the class and very little personalized attention. At this point, he has done all the labs that interest him and he's pretty much outgrown her classes.  She does have high school level labs, but there is no accountability for working through a textbook and studying.  I don't think he needs a rigorous classical approach, but I do think some accountability from an "expert" (as opposed to me, lol) would be very beneficial. He responds so much better to another instructor!  

I'm looking at this one now.  It says about 2 hours of homework a week.  So maybe I could have him do this, and supplement with other labs and projects? https://www.clrconline.com/physical-science/ 

5 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Check out past threads by @lewelma

Lori I'm grateful for the link. @lewelma that was really lovely to read.

The counters on these forums say "1.5 million posts," I guess over two decades. Many of them must be just as terrific as lewelma's but the back-catalog here would be only a little bit harder to browse if it was on microfiche.

• Like 2

@Lori D. I think I can work in some of these suggestions along with the CLRC Physical Science class.  It will be an expensive year 😂 but would keep him going in the right direction.  He's starting a CAD class on outschool today so we'll see how that goes.  Thank you again.  You always have a wonderful list of recommendations!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

@Lori D. I think I can work in some of these suggestions along with the CLRC Physical Science class.  It will be an expensive year 😂 but would keep him going in the right direction.  He's starting a CAD class on outschool today so we'll see how that goes.  Thank you again.  You always have a wonderful list of recommendations!  

Yea! Have fun! That CLRC looks great. 😄 

• 1 year later...