Menu

Over-abundance of cherry tomatoes.....suggestions???

5 hours ago, VickiMNE said:

For freezing I just wash, dry, de-stem, and lay on a cookie sheet. Package in a Ziplock when frozen solid. I don't bother with blanching....  I don't blanch when eating fresh.....

I also make dehydrated cherry tomato snacks. They work great as a savory tidbit, in salads, chopped up in breads/savory muffins, or anywhere dried tomatoes might be used.  Wash, dry, halve, lay on trays.  Sprinkle with some salt, some sugar, some basil, and drizzle the tiniest bit of olive oil over. (I have a special olive oil pourer--if you didn't have a way to spray or drizzle with control, I'd brush the halves FIRST with oil, then sprinkle with salt, sugar, basil.)  Dehydrate until pliable.  I store in the frig.  SO good.

If you didn't want to halve them, I would definitely prick them so the moisture can escape more easily.  Otherwise, it might take a very long time.....

I've also really enjoyed this Tomato Chutney recipe....  To my mind, it is a flavorful ketchup which is how I use it--any where I might want ketchup....  (As opposed to chutney eaten with Indian food)  I planning on making a triple batch this year.....

This is all really helpful, thank you! I'll look at the Chutney recipe tomorrow. It sounds intriguing! 

4 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I dehydrate cherry tomatoes every year.  I cut them in half and pop them in the dehydrator overnight.  I store them in zipper bags in the cupboard and use them as sun-dried tomatoes in pasta, on pizza, flatbread, etc.  If you warm a handfull in olive oil with a sliver of garlic you get an amazing sun-dried tomato oil to dip fresh bread in. 

Super simple, but there are a dozen variations of Tomato Toast.  Google brings up so many different ways to combine tomatoes and toast- you can defnitely use cherry tomatoes insted of full sized ones. 

This is also super helpful; I think I'll do a fair amount dehydrated, I love that option. 

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

They make a great little gift for neighbors! We gave away a lot last year. 

I eat them right off the plant (organic garden, wipe with a cloth), they taste delicious warm from the sun! Years ago when we were the go-to house, the neighborhood kids would keep the crop harvested for me, they loved the little tomatoes and banana peppers and I loved providing a healthy snack bar. 

When we hit peak I make pico and simmer some with olive oil and herbs before tossing with pasta. 

Simmered sounds good! Most of my close neighbors also all garden, so I'm not sure anyone is lacking in tomatoes! 

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Ooooh, you can make panzanella! Would it be a stretch to even call that a salad?

I don't know if it's a stretch, but we did make that and everyone ate it. It's on the list to do again, but still.....so.many.tomatoes. 

1 hour ago, KathyBC said:

Cherry Tomato Chutney, if that is something anyone might enjoy:
http://www.indobase.com/recipes/details/cherry-tomato-chutney.php

Thank you! I'll look at this! 

13 hours ago, Kebo said:

Pasta with 15 minute burst cherry tomato sauce.  It's good, we've made it several times.  My husband loves it, but I cook it a lot longer than 15 minutes.  

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pasta-with-15-minute-burst-cherry-tomato-sauce-56390060

I made multiple batches of this last year and froze it.  It tasted SO good in the middle of winter on a -40C night - a little bit of summer in our kitchen. 🙂  The fresh basil makes an enormous difference - make sure you use lots of fresh basil and fresh garlic. 🙂

• Like 3
21 hours ago, TheReader said:

This is also super helpful; I think I'll do a fair amount dehydrated, I love that option. 

Also, if you dehydrate them to the stage where they are completely dry and crispy, you can grind the tomatoes in a food processor/blender to make tomato powder.   It makes a fantastic addition to homemade taco meat, chilis, stews, etc where you just want to add a little depth of umami. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cherokee Purples are fabulous -- my favorite.  When you eat a good one, you can really understand that tomatoes are a fruit.  I have heard that Paul Robesons are even better, but I didn't get any from my seed started plants this year to compare.  

Edited by Kebo
1 hour ago, Kebo said:

Cherokee Purples are fabulous -- my favorite.  When you eat a good one, you can really understand that tomatoes are a fruit.  I have heard that Paul Robeson's are even better, but I didn't get any from my seed started plants this year to compare.  

Never heard of those-will have to look for them next year.

On 6/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, VickiMNE said:

Tomato Cobbler!  (It is a savory dish and SO delicious.  I freeze a dozen bags of cherry tomatoes so I can make this all year around....)  And, I most often just make my own version of biscuit topping, with or without cheese.  Leftovers freeze and reheat beautifully.  Works as a side or main....

I'm not a big cobbler fan, but I'm totally going to try this tomato part over polenta. Sometimes I make polenta, and sometimes I just slice the Trader Joe's, brush it with a bit of olive oil, and bake it for a few minutes until slightly browned. Either way, this sounds like an amazing topping for it.

4 hours ago, livetoread said:

Either way, this sounds like an amazing topping for it.

Yes, it will be delicious!  And, we love polenta here as well.... so thanks for the good idea! 

• Like 1