Menu

What are you comfortable with for your unvaccinated kids right now?

mommyoffive

What are you comfortable with for your kids that cannot get a Covid vaccine right now? 

What are you doing with them for the summer?  

Indoor things?  Do they have to be masked for these things?

Are you doing outdoor things with them with others?  Masked or no? 

I am just trying to figure out the best things to do with my younger kiddos.  

Mine just spent all weekend with friends, outside, unmasked. It was glorious! But I’m talking OUTSIDE, outside. Running around on 30-something acres. Mostly with 3 other kids too young to be vaccinated, but a few others were around for a couple of hours.

I’m not really ready to face big indoor events (though he’s perfectly fine with masking.) He’ll be mostly indoors with one toddler for the next two days, but I’m feeling fine about that.

• Like 2

Here, outside camps are all unmasked.  Kids mask indoors.  If I had kids under 12, I'd be fine with that.

It seems all the kids I know under 12 have already had Covid, and none had symptoms worth worrying about.  Between that and cases decreasing in general, I think the benefits of camp outweigh the risks.

• Like 2

We signed up for a bunch of camps in June.  The outdoor ones I have picked are unmasked, but they aren’t high-contact camps (climbing and exploring).  Indoor ones are masked - BUT the local school district just said that starting tomorrow no masks in school buildings except unvaccinated kids 12+ and we backed right out of one camp (which was robotics, so groups of random kids sitting around breathing on each other).

Kiddo does both, gymnastics and climbing, at the team level - one of which recently stopped masking. but it’s a consistent group of kids, who have no choice but to be honest as both facilities are home to potential Olympians this year.  So Although I’m not exactly ultra-comfortable, the places have been on top of any potential covid issues.

I know very few kids who have had covid, but we don’t know many people outside of specific circles.  

My youngest is 12 and getting his second dose today but frankly, I don't think summer would look any differently for him if he were 11.  He has two day camp weeks centered on outside activities (horseback riding and archery/making a bow) and 1 week of sleepaway camp that is entirely a canoe trip- they will be camping outside the whole time.  He wears a mask at school and church and that will continue for now.  The rest of the summer, he will either be camping/traveling with us or be at home.  We allow unmasked visits on a case by case basis.  

Soccer starts on August and cross country not long after that.  

Edited by LucyStoner

My eldest did tee-ball in April and May. We started the season with coaches and other adults on the field must be masked but kids optional and ended the season with "everyone" masked at "all" times (snacks were available so people did not mask while drinking water or putting snacks in their mouths). I felt pretty safe, since baseball is not a high contact sport. I did like the everyone masked at all times ruling at the end, mostly because a few coaches from other teams were not good at masking.  

I like to see a few more months of opening up with kids before I remove the mask requirement for my kids indoors, even though to be honest I think my family already caught COVID last March. (We were mild symptoms to asymptomatic.)

For the unvaccinated in our family:

Outside stuff - unmasked.

Inside stuff - masked, per the CDC recommendations.

We are fine having vaxxed friends over, inside and out, unmasked.

Unvaxxed friends we meet outside for hang outs and play.  They can come here for outside play, and go in and use the bathroom if masked.

No indoor camps for the unvaxxed, but outside would be fine for us.

ETA: our area is only 40% vaxxed in adults, and very little masking.  Our state has a positivity rate that’s pretty good, but our county is exponentially higher.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Spryte said:

For the unvaccinated in our family:

Outside stuff - unmasked.

Inside stuff - masked, per the CDC recommendations.

We are fine having vaxxed friends over, inside and out, unmasked.

Unvaxxed friends we meet outside for hang outs and play.  They can come here for outside play, and go in and use the bathroom if masked.

No indoor camps for the unvaxxed, but outside would be fine for us.

ETA: our area is only 40% vaxxed in adults, and very little masking.  Our state has a positivity rate that’s pretty good, but our county is exponentially higher.

This is almost exactly us even though I live in a much higher vaxxed area with a lot of masking.  I am, however, letting 12 you dd go to sleep away camps that require testing before camp and during camp.  Our numbers have gotten so good and are still going down.  Between that and the low risk to her I am very comfortable with that decision. 

• Like 3

I opted out of indoor swim lesson for my kids.  Between Covid and that they are only offering lessons at the smaller cramped pool (both the pool and bleachers are small and it felt very cramped the last time we were there and that was precovid), I decided to just skip another year.  If they offered lessons at my normal indoor pool I may have considered because there is just so much more space but for some reason they opted not to use that location.

The kids are going to church camp.  Most of the time they are outside, the sleeping arrangements I'm not crazy about but I realize at some point I have to let them go back to activities even if I'm not super comfortable with it so I might as well start with the most important things first.

• Like 2

My almost 11 year old is doing outdoor sports this summer.  Summer swim, Rex baseball, and some soccer goalkeeper training through the end of July.  Right now they wear masks when they aren’t playing  (e.g. on the pool deck, on the sidelines, when the coach is talking to them). Then in August when I go back to work he’ll have half day outdoor soccer camp in the morning and virtual camp in the afternoon.

He is also playing outside with neighborhood friends, always with a mask unless they are swimming (a neighbor has a pool) or biking.  Our rule is only outdoors and he needs to mask or distance, but he consistently chooses to mask so he can play things like basketball. 

He also plays with his cousins.  They spend a lot of time outdoors and mask or distance indoors.  They are the only unvaccinated people he sees indoors.  Their mother is expecting a baby at the end of this month and protecting the baby is a reason we are choosing to be so cautious.

He sees various vaccinated relatives indoors, we don’t put restrictions there.

There are things we aren’t doing with him yet.  He’s not going to church, or eating at restaurants even outside, or going to stores. We won’t be doing things like movies or bowling or amusement parks that we might do.  But before the pandemic he spent most of his summer at sports or playing outside so it doesn’t feel that different.

His brother is vaccinated, and we are letting him do an in person indoor theater camp later this summer, and may add indoor piano lessons, but otherwise the restrictions are the same.

But they are both registered for public middle school with 900 kids this fall, so clearly I am optimistic!  

• Like 2

My piano students who are not able to be vaccinated yet and I are masked for lessons through the summer. It looks like most of the programs are having kids mask for indoor activities. The day camp/child care program is spending most of their time outside, so usually aren't masked.

The driver's Ed program is having their kids mask, even though they're all old enough to be vaccinated. I suspect the instructors simply aren't willing to be in a car with a possibly unvaccinated teen. 

• Like 2

I have one unvaccinated 11yo.  She wears her mask everywhere inside as do my two who are not quite fully vaccinated (2nd shot last week).  Next week though she has a couple days of basketball camp and I'm sure there will be no masks.  I'm ok with it.  Numbers are low in our state at the moment.  

• Like 1

We started going back to playgrounds once I was fully vaccinated.  They wear masks outside of our house and grandma’s house, period.  They don’t go to stores or restaurants.  That said, they are in school, they will go to day camp.  Their lives are way more open than the year they spent at home before I was vaccinated.  They (presumptively) had COVID last March and were totally fine.  I  don’t want them bringing it back to the house. I’m still dealing with Long COVID 15 months later. 

I’m fine with all normal activities.  Only dh has been vaccinated because he has a history of lung problems.  We only wear masks in the very few stores that still require it.  My teens have 2 camps they are going to this summer, little dd and I are going to the first in a few weeks (no masks at either).  Oldest dd is working. Employees are required to mask, but not customers.  We have been going to church (worship and Bibles class) unmasked for about 2 months, we wore masks there previously (state rules changed, so church leadership did too).

• Like 4

I'm lurking on this thread because once our church opens up I'll be working with can't yet be vaccinated kids. 

I know the comfort level of the families involved but it also helps to know what others are thinking.  I lean more cautious than the families at our church.  The Delta variant has me feeling even more cautious!

• Like 1

Locally, schools stayed masked (but won't be in the fall) but sports have been unmasked since last summer, whether inside or outside.  At this point, everybody who wants a vaccine has had a chance to get one (although people who weren't urgent about it may be just now doing it) so most people are going full-bore with all the things - slumber parties, sports, etc.  For the first time in a year, almost everybody seems to be at the same comfort level (whether because they were vaccinated, because they were never worried, because they've had it, or because new cases are mostly in the single digits) so people seem to be trying to make up for lost time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Normally I dislike the color-coded charts, since there is a lot of pseudo-science and opinion to them, but this one doesn’t seem terrible, especially because she puts the caveat about transmission rates and/or vaccination rates. 

Note that almost all states are below the rates of community transmission she lists, though of course you might want want to look at the more localized level especially if more risk-averse. (47 states are below 10/100,000, two are at 10, and one is at 12/. 37 states are at or below half that rate, <= 5/100,000).

So then the chart becomes unnecessary entirely, doesn’t it, because if community transmission is so low, nothing is actually “high risk,” unless perhaps someone has a particularly high risk person in their household and cannot take any risk at all. 

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Normally I dislike the color-coded charts, since there is a lot of pseudo-science and opinion to them, but this one doesn’t seem terrible, especially because she puts the caveat about transmission rates and/or vaccination rates. 

Note that almost all states are below the rates of community transmission she lists, though of course you might want want to look at the more localized level especially if more risk-averse. (47 states are below 10/100,000, two are at 10, and one is at 12/. 37 states are at or below half that rate, <= 5/100,000).

So then the chart becomes unnecessary entirely, doesn’t it, because if community transmission is so low, nothing is actually “high risk,” unless perhaps someone has a particularly high risk person in their household and cannot take any risk at all. 

Oh wow, really??  Where is that info from?  I have not kept track of any state but my own and even that not so much.  That is great news.

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, really??  Where is that info from?  I have not kept track of any state but my own and even that not so much.  That is great news.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage
Scroll to “state trends.”

You can also use drop down menus to see more granular data on each state.

• Like 1