Jump to content

Menu

Kids Covid test related WWYD


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This is not a JAWM.

My youngest two(9 and 6) are signed up for two weeks of camp this summer. It’s one week on, one week off.  It’s overnight for my 9 year old and day camp for my 6 year old. NYS initially said every kid would have to get a Covid test, but the rapid, which isn’t as painful, was fine.

The rules just changed again and now it’s got to be the PCR test, within 72 hours of the start of each camp. When my 9-year-old had that done after an exposure it was horrible—they had to hold her down, lots of tears and she was traumatized for two days.  My 6-year-old would be much, much worse getting it done.

I want to just pull my kids from camp.  It will likely mean quitting my new job because all of our intended childcare for the summer has now fallen apart(they were going to a summer rec program that got cancelled yesterday).  DH wants to put them through the pcr test and just send them.  I don’t personally think it’s worth it. We almost never fight, but we are having a huge one over this. I truly just don’t think it’s worth putting my kids through a traumatizing experience not once but twice just to go to camp and help us with summer childcare.  I love my new job, but it’s not paying much and even if I’m much happier there than on an ambulance, it’s not worth that much to me.  My kids love camp and look forward to it, but I don’t think this is worth it.

WWYD?

(NYS doesn’t care about antibodies; which we know my 9 year old has and most likely so does my 6 year old)

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you check different locations to see how they are currently doing PCR tests? Around here most of them are saliva tests, and some of the nasal ones are just the front of the nose.

Not all PCR tests are the tickle-your-brain kind.

The saliva ones might even be available as a home test mail-in option.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, maize said:

Can you check different locations to see how they are currently doing PCR tests? Around here most of them are saliva tests, and some of the nasal ones are just the front of the nose.

Not all PCR tests are the tickle-your-brain kind.

The saliva ones might even be available as a home test mail-in option.

No saliva tests are allowed according to the camp director.   I asked that too.  
So far I haven’t found any place that isn’t the tickle your brain sort unless it’s the rapid test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

No saliva tests are allowed according to the camp director.   I asked that too.  
So far I haven’t found any place that isn’t the tickle your brain sort unless it’s the rapid test.

Interesting. I think saliva tests are by far the most common in my state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it is the tickle your brain one, I would pull them.  I won’t put my kids through it ( and say this for many reasons but the big one is that the test people would be traumatized by one child).   I completely get how bad this would be to your youngest. 
 

I was sending DD ( my one that would do somewhat ok on a good day with the test) to a camp but they require a test before and after.  If it was a saliva test that wouldn’t bother her as much as the require poke your brain version. It is a no go.  I did find a few day camps that don’t require the poke your brain version or no testing and that is what we are considering now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Junie said:

I would tell my kids what is expected if they go to camp and let them decide whether they want to do the testing or not.

My 9 year old will understand. The 6 year old has cognitive delays and won’t understand what we’re explaining at all.  I am okay with letting my 9 year old decide; she’s had a PCR test and I suspect she will decide not to go. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

How badly do the kids want to go to camp?   

I don’t know.  They were looking forward to it. My husband really wants them to go.

the major issue with the mail in tests is time. The tests have to have been collected within 72 hours of the start of camp. Camp starts 8am Monday morning, so that’s cutting it really short on getting a test done Friday morning and sent it and a result.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think your 9-yo can decide for herself, but unless the camp was absolutely necessary, I kind of think that the fun of camp isn’t going to outweigh being held down and traumatized for a medical procedure.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I don’t know.  They were looking forward to it. My husband really wants them to go.

the major issue with the mail in tests is time. The tests have to have been collected within 72 hours of the start of camp. Camp starts 8am Monday morning, so that’s cutting it really short on getting a test done Friday morning and sent it and a result.

If you don’t get the results in time, you could just have the kids miss the first day or two of camp, until the results come in.

And you might be able to pay extra to get the tests to you sooner. Or maybe Amazon sells them.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

If you don’t get the results in time, you could just have the kids miss the first day or two of camp, until the results come in.

And you might be able to pay extra to get the tests to you sooner. Or maybe Amazon sells them.

but then the collection time wouldn't be within 3 days of starting camp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you have Walgreens? They have a pcr test for travel, you do the nose swab yourself. The results are available the next day at the latest. 
 

In the past year my kids have been Covid tested 4-6 times, every single time was a nose swab. They all preferred doing it themselves. None would say it was fun, but having control of your own swab you don’t hit anything painful.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

but then the collection time wouldn't be within 3 days of starting camp. 

Ooh! That’s right! I wasn’t thinking about that. 

I was just thinking that she could get the tests sooner to be sure she had them on-hand exactly when she needed to use them and send them back in.

I would probably overnight the tests back so the results would come in ASAP. 

There must be a way to make this work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

This is not a JAWM.

My youngest two(9 and 6) are signed up for two weeks of camp this summer. It’s one week on, one week off.  It’s overnight for my 9 year old and day camp for my 6 year old. NYS initially said every kid would have to get a Covid test, but the rapid, which isn’t as painful, was fine.

The rules just changed again and now it’s got to be the PCR test, within 72 hours of the start of each camp. When my 9-year-old had that done after an exposure it was horrible—they had to hold her down, lots of tears and she was traumatized for two days.  My 6-year-old would be much, much worse getting it done.

I want to just pull my kids from camp.  It will likely mean quitting my new job because all of our intended childcare for the summer has now fallen apart(they were going to a summer rec program that got cancelled yesterday).  DH wants to put them through the pcr test and just send them.  I don’t personally think it’s worth it. We almost never fight, but we are having a huge one over this. I truly just don’t think it’s worth putting my kids through a traumatizing experience not once but twice just to go to camp and help us with summer childcare.  I love my new job, but it’s not paying much and even if I’m much happier there than on an ambulance, it’s not worth that much to me.  My kids love camp and look forward to it, but I don’t think this is worth it.

WWYD?

(NYS doesn’t care about antibodies; which we know my 9 year old has and most likely so does my 6 year old)

If the testing won’t work for your situation..then take the next step.

If you want the job, pull them from the camp and  start lining up childcare, looking at any or all possibilities, no matter how out there or unusual.

if you don’t want the job, pull them from the camp and move on to Plan B for the summer. Maybe take everyone camping as a family for a couple days.

 

if you don’t want the job, just pull them from camp 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I really wanted this job and wanted my kids to go to camp, I would drive further for a saliva test, get an at home test option, I would request something for anxiety from the pediatrician, make more calls, let your DH take them, etc to make it work.  It seems like a big decision to quit your job so your kids don't have to undergo something that will take seconds.  And my kids have always had awful medical anxiety.  I have had to do stuff like this many times with my own kids.  I had to take my 20 year old personally to get a covid vaccine.  He 100% wanted one but was just super anxious about it.  He fainted a couple times as a younger teen.

If you are looking for a reason to quit a job that isn't a great fit, just do that and own it.  

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

This is not a JAWM.

My youngest two(9 and 6) are signed up for two weeks of camp this summer. It’s one week on, one week off.  It’s overnight for my 9 year old and day camp for my 6 year old. NYS initially said every kid would have to get a Covid test, but the rapid, which isn’t as painful, was fine.

The rules just changed again and now it’s got to be the PCR test, within 72 hours of the start of each camp. When my 9-year-old had that done after an exposure it was horrible—they had to hold her down, lots of tears and she was traumatized for two days.  My 6-year-old would be much, much worse getting it done.

I want to just pull my kids from camp.  It will likely mean quitting my new job because all of our intended childcare for the summer has now fallen apart(they were going to a summer rec program that got cancelled yesterday).  DH wants to put them through the pcr test and just send them.  I don’t personally think it’s worth it. We almost never fight, but we are having a huge one over this. I truly just don’t think it’s worth putting my kids through a traumatizing experience not once but twice just to go to camp and help us with summer childcare.  I love my new job, but it’s not paying much and even if I’m much happier there than on an ambulance, it’s not worth that much to me.  My kids love camp and look forward to it, but I don’t think this is worth it.

WWYD?

(NYS doesn’t care about antibodies; which we know my 9 year old has and most likely so does my 6 year old)

I’m a little confused.

You love your new job, but you also say it isn’t worth that much to you. 

Even if it turns out that this particular camp won’t work out, shouldn’t you look for other childcare options before you quit a job you love?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Catwoman said:

I’m a little confused.

You love your new job, but you also say it isn’t worth that much to you. 

Even if it turns out that this particular camp won’t work out, shouldn’t you look for other childcare options before you quit a job you love?

 

I do love the job—but it pays $14 an hour and that’s at a master’s degree level.  I will pay more in childcare. Initially I was using our county’s summer rec program and these two weeks of camp, but our summer rec program got cancelled yesterday.

So while I love the job, it’s more of a volunteer situation than anything because the pay is so low.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our NY state camp( private camp but in NYS) just sent us a link to a test company ( mail in) that they are partnering with. It sounds like a saliva test. Maybe check with the camp to see if they are doing this. They are saying we should get the results in 1-2 days ( test Thursday, mail fedex and results by Saturday

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I do love the job—but it pays $14 an hour and that’s at a master’s degree level.  I will pay more in childcare. Initially I was using our county’s summer rec program and these two weeks of camp, but our summer rec program got cancelled yesterday.

So while I love the job, it’s more of a volunteer situation than anything because the pay is so low.

Yes, but I thought you considered this to be a steppingstone toward a higher paying position, and that’s why you weren’t as concerned about the low pay. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have worked your new job (many years ago but still about the same pay).  I liked it too but there are much better paying gigs out there.  (I don't know your particular area though.) 

Both staff and parent hesitation regarding covid testing requirements is why the camp where I am a director is only offering a day camp option this year and not overnight camp.  I understand the requirements but many people find it a barrier. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I do love the job—but it pays $14 an hour and that’s at a master’s degree level.  I will pay more in childcare. Initially I was using our county’s summer rec program and these two weeks of camp, but our summer rec program got cancelled yesterday.

So while I love the job, it’s more of a volunteer situation than anything because the pay is so low.

I would be just absolutely gutted if my job fell through like this. I’m really sorry.

Have you actually started yet? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

NYS doesn’t care about antibodies; which we know my 9 year old has and most likely so does my 6 year old

This is the part that is so maddening! I honestly believe natural immunity is better than vaccine-induced immunity. And for the 6 year old going to day camp, it seems the PCR test is not worth anything at all since the child can be exposed to COVID every night/evening.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would ask around — I heard the nasal swabs were horrible here earlier on, and then the people doing them got better at it or something, because then subsequent ones for the same people weren’t as bad.

My kids and I got a nasal swab once and it was up far but it wasn’t like I had heard described.  
 

I don’t know if that can help your 9yo who has already had a bad experience, though, unless she did want to try it.

 

But it might help the 6yo if you did hear it wouldn’t be as bad as in the past.

 

This really is what I have heard locally.  
 

Also, I would consider seeing the the camp director would accept a doctors letter saying the other test needed to be accepted.

 

I think this is often a work-around for special needs and anxiety.  
 

It doesn’t always work, but a lot of “we are so strict and can’t possibly compromise” stuff goes away with a doctors note.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I do love the new job. I took it knowing that even when I do get a pay bump, I still won’t be anywhere close to what I’m making now, but we thought the sacrifice would be worth it if I was happier. DH is in nursing school during the day starting this summer(which is why we needed childcare during the day now, as he mostly works overnights), so it’s not even a case where daycare is being deducted from a larger double income.

but that was relying on the reasonably priced summer rec program, which has been cancelled(school needs unexpected renovations and won’t have a/c over the summer, and that’s the only place around that had the facilities to hold it).  DD9 wants to go to camp regardless of testing; DS6 is where I hesitate. He just has no understanding of the test or why or anything.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly — it might be over very quick for him, then.  He might be very upset at the moment, but then move on from it.

Or, it might go quickly for him, too.

Honestly I would take some favorite cookie or candy and offer it to him as soon as it’s over, and take it out right before the swab is going to happen and count down that that is when he gets the cookie or candy.

I have had success with that with my son with autism when he was younger.  Does it make things perfect?  No.  Would he move on to “I am eating Oreos” quickly?  Yes.

I understand that would not work for everyone, but it did work for my son.  He is someone who did move in quickly if he had something to move on TO, like — now watch a cartoon, now eat some cookies.  If he didn’t have anything to move on to, he would dwell. It was best to try to plan something he loved to give him immediately.  

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will also say — this is just life, sometimes kids cannot have things explained to them, but they still have to happen.

This is a case where it is optional.

But, I think if camp would be a good experience, the long time of camp would make up for the short time of the nasal swab.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think, too, maybe you could try, but say ahead of time, if it isn’t done fairly short/easy, you will pull the plug.

So you could say “no, he won’t be held down, we will just leave if it gets to that point.”

But then if he was tolerating it better, you could try it.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't pull a kid from camp for this unless they were absolutely adamant they couldn't do it (and then I'd explain the consequences were going to be hours and hours of babysitting, because there's NO WAY I'd quit my job for this.) If your 6-year-old isn't likely to understand the issue, then it's probably only going to be a bit of temporary unpleasantness for him. 

I don't think this test is actually traumatic for most kids or most people -- just unpleasant. I'm sorry your 9-year-old had such a bad reaction, though 😞 . 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

Haven't read all the responses but CVS will let you do your own test; they guide you as you do it. It wasn't bad at all and is just a small q-tip size thing. 

CVS also has self-administered tests here. They're PCR, but don't need to go in deeply. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If you want to keep the job, I'd call your pediatrician, CVS, Walgreen's and your local board of health until you find the front-of-the-nose type swabs, show your kids how you do it on yourself with a Q-tip, then let the older decide if they want to do their own. And sure, cookies or something when it's done. Whatever incentive works. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My understanding is that the Walgreen's test (which I think is the PCR but correct me if I'm wrong) can be self administered even by children under supervision.  https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ext=gmb

There are school systems around us that have kids doing their own testing, and they say it's PCR.  I would assume that means it's not "tickle your brain".

I have a friend who teaches kids with ID at a school that requires testing every two weeks, with nurses coming in to do the testing, and they have no problems with getting the kids to do it, which makes me think that they are using nasal swabs that don't go as far.  When I've been tested, it's always been PCR and there has been a pretty big variation in how invasive they've been. 

I'd look pretty hard for a provider that is gentler before I gave up a job that you've posted about loving. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I honestly think that PCR testing is going to be a way of life for a while.  I'd lean toward finding something like the CVS or Walgreens.  Here you do your own swab even at the local health department.  Our school district had testing three days a week for contact sports this last school year without issues.  They do not need to be brain tickling anymore.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Danae said:

Vault offers at-home kits for saliva PCR tests.  You mail it in, the lab report will say PCR on it.  https://www.vaulthealth.com/covid

My state offers the Vault tests for free. It can be ordered in advance. You have to be online with a test supervisor to spit in the tube. It is sent back via UPS Air overnight, and results are usually back by email within 2 days (and I live in the boonies where “overnight” scan take 3-4 days)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I  did more research.  The test we are doing is nasal, but not the brain picking one.  Dd had one a few months ago and it's just quick swab in the nose.  She said the strep swab she got at the same visit was much worse.  Could you maybe start a regular nasal swab with 6 year old.  Like first just touch tip of nose, then after a few days the edge, then in?  I don't know how much time you have, but if you gave chocolate or something as a reward maybe you could work him into accepting it.

And I'm with the ones who say I'd do my best to make camp happen this year. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I do love the new job. I took it knowing that even when I do get a pay bump, I still won’t be anywhere close to what I’m making now, but we thought the sacrifice would be worth it if I was happier. DH is in nursing school during the day starting this summer(which is why we needed childcare during the day now, as he mostly works overnights), so it’s not even a case where daycare is being deducted from a larger double income.

but that was relying on the reasonably priced summer rec program, which has been cancelled(school needs unexpected renovations and won’t have a/c over the summer, and that’s the only place around that had the facilities to hold it).  DD9 wants to go to camp regardless of testing; DS6 is where I hesitate. He just has no understanding of the test or why or anything.

But it seems like several people have given you testing options that wouldn’t even be particularly unpleasant for your kids.

If you don’t really see a benefit of keeping the job, that’s fine, but the Covid testing issue shouldn’t really be enough to make you quit if you really want to stay. If you want to keep the job and your kids want to go to camp, there are options available to you, and they aren’t the “brain swab” type of testing, so I think you should at least give them a try. But if you don’t really want the job, the Covid testing is a non-issue, anyway.

I hope everything works out for the best! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I wouldn't pull a kid from camp for this unless they were absolutely adamant they couldn't do it (and then I'd explain the consequences were going to be hours and hours of babysitting, because there's NO WAY I'd quit my job for this.) If your 6-year-old isn't likely to understand the issue, then it's probably only going to be a bit of temporary unpleasantness for him. 

I don't think this test is actually traumatic for most kids or most people -- just unpleasant. I'm sorry your 9-year-old had such a bad reaction, though 😞 . 

I would quit the job if my kids really didn’t want to go to camp, but it sounds like the kids actually do want to go. And it appears that gentler testing options are available, so I would at least try to get the kids to try them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a draconian rule.

That said, my kid got her PCR test drive-through at CVS and it was not bad at all.  At the drive thru, kids over a certain age can do their own (9 might be too young though), and the younger kids' parent does it.  I wonder if you could have an older person do their own test (in front of the kids), then the least frightened of the kids, and then the other kid?

Honestly, I think being held down is often what terrifies kids. 

I hope you find a solution.  Or maybe they will change that stupid stupid rule.  😕

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

But it seems like several people have given you testing options that wouldn’t even be particularly unpleasant for your kids.

If you don’t really see a benefit of keeping the job, that’s fine, but the Covid testing issue shouldn’t really be enough to make you quit if you really want to stay. If you want to keep the job and your kids want to go to camp, there are options available to you, and they aren’t the “brain swab” type of testing, so I think you should at least give them a try. But if you don’t really want the job, the Covid testing is a non-issue, anyway.

I hope everything works out for the best! 

It would honestly just be the last straw when it comes to the job. I had three childcare plans in place just in case and all three have fallen through.  Camp is only two weeks out of the summer; I still have 7 other weeks to figure out. 
$14/hour is okay until it’s going to cost me $16/hour to pay for childcare. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is your second or third attempt at a non-ambulance job, though, right? You have a ton on your plate with the kids you have and either school or childcare issues have interfered with that. Each time there was some discretion as to whether you stayed or left. Each time you chose kid>job.

I am not saying I disagree with your choices.

I do think this is a particular issue that might merit some deeper analysis. You went on to get additional education to be better qualified for a transfer into this field, at a not-minimal sacrifice...what would you need to make this work?

Honestly, I would PCR my kids and I would stick with the job for at least a year to get a resume listing in the field. But I totally understand why you might make different choices. I haven’t been able to relaunch into employment because my kids’ needs are too high. Short of employing a nanny who could take kids to medical appointments, drive, and do errands, a landscaper, and some other people to replace me I am likely not making it to paid employment for several more years.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

No saliva tests are allowed according to the camp director.   I asked that too.  
So far I haven’t found any place that isn’t the tickle your brain sort unless it’s the rapid test.

All our covid tests have been at CVS drive through. Just self swabbing inside nostrils, nothing invasive.  Any CVS near you?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This is your second or third attempt at a non-ambulance job, though, right? You have a ton on your plate with the kids you have and either school or childcare issues have interfered with that. Each time there was some discretion as to whether you stayed or left. Each time you chose kid>job.

I am not saying I disagree with your choices.

I do think this is a particular issue that might merit some deeper analysis. You went on to get additional education to be better qualified for a transfer into this field, at a not-minimal sacrifice...what would you need to make this work?

Honestly, I would PCR my kids and I would stick with the job for at least a year to get a resume listing in the field. But I totally understand why you might make different choices. I haven’t been able to relaunch into employment because my kids’ needs are too high. Short of employing a nanny who could take kids to medical appointments, drive, and do errands, a landscaper, and some other people to replace me I am likely not making it to paid employment for several more years.

Second time.  The first was just when my youngest was diagnosed with multiple delays and I needed to be home to manage his myriad of therapies.  I had a nanny set up this time, but she took a better paying job and the backup plan of summer rec at the school fell through too.  We thought we’d planned for all contingencies lol.  Fortunately, if the bank lawyers ever do their job, we are soon to close on a house in an area with fantastic and affordable child care options.  
 

I honestly think I’ve been completely spoiled working one day and two nights a week for ten years making three times what I can make in a human service job, and I’m going to initially struggle adjusting to a five day a week schedule doing anything.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My kids had the PCR test yesterday.  The testers were good they asked my youngest to sit on his hands while he had it so he wasn’t tempted to grab the swab but there was no pinning or holding down.  If testing is free I’d be tempted to go and try to get the test done but not force the issue if the kids didn’t comply.  Even if you only manage to get the oldest done it leaves you having to find childcare for one kid not two which might make things cheaper/easier and the motivation of the camp would probably help.  I do want my kids to understand that they get to consent or not to any medical procedures so we always explain what’s required and so far so good.  I did hold oldest to get antibiotics into him when he was two but that was before I’d given this much thought.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...