Menu

Sparkpeople is Closing in August. Alternatives? Especially Fitbit?

I have logged food, water and exercise daily for 13 years.  (Though technically the exercise part is logged by Fitbit and then shared with Sparkpeople.)  Yesterday (or maybe the day before) they announced that they are closing Sparkpeople in August and then opening some new format (which appears more limited? ) afterwards.  I am thinking that this is a good time for me to reevaluate and most likely move on to something else.  So today I logged my food on Fitbit instead.  And I tentatively joined a group in Fitbit to see if I can get some of the cheering support there that I have appreciated from Sparkpeople. 

Thoughts on Fitbit?  Other apps out there?  I prefer free if possible.  Again - my goals:  exercise, food, water tracking.  (My glucometer tracks my bloodsugars for me so I don't need a separate app for that.)  Encouragement in healthy eating and exercise goals is a bonus.  If there is a place for an occasional journal of some kind that might be good too?  Anyway - something to get me the help I need to lose these last 75 pounds? 

• Like 1

I use My Fitness Pal, the paid version.  I tried the FitBit app but then had this whole issue where my FitBit wouldn’t sync with my phone and the FitBit with the HR feature I needed fell apart and I just got an Apple Watch to replace it which syncs very well with my iPhone.  

I like MFP- the articles and links in the app have been helpful for me.  

• Thanks 1

Actually. I just checked and the version of MFP I am using is the free one.  

I know there are social/encouragement aspects to it but I have never paid any attention to it.  

I really liked the social/encouragement aspect of the WW app but WW is just way too restricted calorie wise for me so I cancelled it.  

• Thanks 1

I've used My Fitness Pal and Lose It. If you have an Iphone, I prefer Lose It. It is much more visually appealing, less clunky, etc etc. It is paid, although there is a free trial. 

Both of those will integrate with your fitbit. 

(I also may just have bad memories associated with MFP...but I do think Lose it is better)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have logged food, water and exercise daily for 13 years.  (Though technically the exercise part is logged by Fitbit and then shared with Sparkpeople.)  Yesterday (or maybe the day before) they announced that they are closing Sparkpeople in August and then opening some new format (which appears more limited? ) afterwards.  I am thinking that this is a good time for me to reevaluate and most likely move on to something else.  So today I logged my food on Fitbit instead.  And I tentatively joined a group in Fitbit to see if I can get some of the cheering support there that I have appreciated from Sparkpeople. 

Thoughts on Fitbit?  Other apps out there?  I prefer free if possible.  Again - my goals:  exercise, food, water tracking.  (My glucometer tracks my bloodsugars for me so I don't need a separate app for that.)  Encouragement in healthy eating and exercise goals is a bonus.  If there is a place for an occasional journal of some kind that might be good too?  Anyway - something to get me the help I need to lose these last 75 pounds? 

I am bewilderingly impressed by this first sentence.  

If nobody minds a little tangent, can anyone recommend a fitness tracker that accurately counts steps for the least amount of money? In my case, an accurate pedometer would probably be good enough.  I can always just plug the info into my phone. The Panda could stand to loose 20 pounds. I mean it this time.

and a scale.  I should probably own a scale.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rebcoola said:

I like to track in myfitnesspal best. Lose it is good to.  I don't like tracking in Fitbit since it adds my activity calories into my daily food allowance.

Sparkpeople did that too.  But I just ignored those numbers and went with my initial calorie goal (before it allowed more calories due to exercise). 

14 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I am bewilderingly impressed by this first sentence.  

If nobody minds a little tangent, can anyone recommend a fitness tracker that accurately counts steps for the least amount of money? In my case, an accurate pedometer would probably be good enough.  I can always just plug the info into my phone. The Panda could stand to loose 20 pounds. I mean it this time.

and a scale.  I should probably own a scale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PNYYL72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one a couple of months ago and have been happy. On the plus side it only needs a charge every month or so. It is as accurate as my Fitbit was but the interface isn't as nice.

re: apps- I used to use My Daily Plate and liked it but I didn't have a Fitbit or use any community aspects so I can't speak to that.

I never tracked food on Fitbit or connected to their community.

• Thanks 1

I use My Fitness Pal free version with my Apple Watch but I did at one time sync it with my Fitbit and I seem to remember being satisfied with that. But it’s been awhile. 

I like My Fitness Pal because it is rare I try to enter something and it isn’t already in their database. I find even local restaurants have items people have entered and it is pretty easy to find info on online recipes I try, etc. 

I know no one is asking about an Apple Watch and I didn’t think I wanted one either. But, dh went to replace my phone for me and came home with the phone and an Apple Watch they had a deal on. I have found it to be easy to use and adds a level of motivation to my workouts and daily activity and tracking. 

The one thing that irks me in MFP is the feature on the diary that tells you what you should weigh in five weeks if every day is like that day. I get the math behind it but it lies. Lies. The math doesn’t work that way for a lot of us. 😡

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Soror said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PNYYL72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one a couple of months ago and have been happy. On the plus side it only needs a charge every month or so. It is as accurate as my Fitbit was but the interface isn't as nice.

re: apps- I used to use My Daily Plate and liked it but I didn't have a Fitbit or use any community aspects so I can't speak to that.

I never tracked food on Fitbit or connected to their community.

Thank you for the recommendation. I impulsively ordered a slimmer/cheaper version in that same brand last night (scrawny wrists).  Here's to hoping it works as well.  I don't always wear pants with pockets, or carry my phone around the house, so the step count on my phone can be way off.  I've hit my personal highest weight so I need to get a handle on  . . . everything. Right now I'm in the planning-while-feeling-sorry-for-myself phase of the operation.  

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Thank you for the recommendation. I impulsively ordered a slimmer/cheaper version in that same brand last night (scrawny wrists).  Here's to hoping it works as well.  I don't always wear pants with pockets, or carry my phone around the house, so the step count on my phone can be way off.  I've hit my personal highest weight so I need to get a handle on  . . . everything. Right now I'm in the planning-while-feeling-sorry-for-myself phase of the operation.  

LOL, BTDT.