Jump to content

Menu

Apple watch with ECG feature


Recommended Posts

Does anyone have this watch for the ECG feature?  I have AFib.  Two years ago my EP recommended I get it....I am wondering if anyone here has it for that feature and how does it work.  I am feeling more and more off and I would like to monitor it to  see if there is any real concern.  But I also don't want to spend $400 on it.....although it does have a lot of other cool features....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dh has that feature. I have played with it some. It will do an occasional scan or you can prompt it to capture a rhythm. It’s not continuous monitoring like a cardiologist would use with a take home 24 or 48h halter test. It will tell you “abnormal rhythm detected” but I am not sure if you can save it. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dh has that feature. I have played with it some. It will do an occasional scan or you can prompt it to capture a rhythm. It’s not continuous monitoring like a cardiologist would use with a take home 24 or 48h halter test. It will tell you “abnormal rhythm detected” but I am not sure if you can save it. 
 

I haven't looked in to it closely but my EP told me I could forward the scans to him so I am assuming I can save them.  I would be using it to capture when I feel weird.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Does anyone have this watch for the ECG feature?  I have AFib.  Two years ago my EP recommended I get it....I am wondering if anyone here has it for that feature and how does it work.  I am feeling more and more off and I would like to monitor it to  see if there is any real concern.  But I also don't want to spend $400 on it.....although it does have a lot of other cool features....

I have it. It seems to work well enough, although sometimes you will need to redo it. You can send the reports per scan as PDF to yourself and then your doctor if you wish. 

Another nice feature is if you are at any time worried of falls or losing consciousness the watches have a 911 fall alert, and can tell if you fall down and will call 911. When the fall is detected a count down starts and you can elect not to call 911 by pressing a button on the watch,  but if you aren't awake to do so the watch will contact emergency services for you. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My DH has used it for that purpose. 

Mine does it too, and I have used it a few times to figure out if what I was feeling was something cardiac, or if it was esophogeal stuff. (It was not Afib, turns out). So was nice to be able to check while dealing with the symptoms. (I have a hiatal hernia and history of esophogeal stuff but it was nice to be able to check and know not to worry, it's just my normal stuff causing weird chest feelings)

And although I was hesitant to get an Apple Watch I have to admit, I LOVE the thing. I'm NOT a tech geek. At all. But it truly is really great. I love being able to decline scam phone calls without having to pick up my phone. I LOVE that I can hit an icon and it will "ping" my phone when I can't find it - which is daily. It does a great job of motivating me to be more active - with move, exercise, and stand rings that you close. I can pause my audio book by tapping my wrist. I can use it to add items to my Alexa shopping list, ask Siri a question, etc. 

And the fall feature is great too. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Holmesschooler said:

I have it. It seems to work well enough, although sometimes you will need to redo it. You can send the reports per scan as PDF to yourself and then your doctor if you wish. 

Another nice feature is if you are at any time worried of falls or losing consciousness the watches have a 911 fall alert, and can tell if you fall down and will call 911. When the fall is detected a count down starts and you can elect not to call 911 by pressing a button on the watch,  but if you aren't awake to do so the watch will contact emergency services for you. 

 

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My DH has used it for that purpose. 

Mine does it too, and I have used it a few times to figure out if what I was feeling was something cardiac, or if it was esophogeal stuff. (It was not Afib, turns out). So was nice to be able to check while dealing with the symptoms. (I have a hiatal hernia and history of esophogeal stuff but it was nice to be able to check and know not to worry, it's just my normal stuff causing weird chest feelings)

And although I was hesitant to get an Apple Watch I have to admit, I LOVE the thing. I'm NOT a tech geek. At all. But it truly is really great. I love being able to decline scam phone calls without having to pick up my phone. I LOVE that I can hit an icon and it will "ping" my phone when I can't find it - which is daily. It does a great job of motivating me to be more active - with move, exercise, and stand rings that you close. I can pause my audio book by tapping my wrist. I can use it to add items to my Alexa shopping list, ask Siri a question, etc. 

And the fall feature is great too. 

You two talked me into it!  Which model do you have?  I am getting the 6 model.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Scarlett said:

 

You two talked me into it!  Which model do you have?  I am getting the 6 model.

 

Pretty sure that is what I have. We got it through Tmobile, so you just have a monthly payment, which worked for us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ktgrok said:

Pretty sure that is what I have. We got it through Tmobile, so you just have a monthly payment, which worked for us. 

Well, we just both got new phones so we have monthly payments on those.....So I want to pay cash for this and I think I can keep the price to $400 if I get the less expensive band and frame.  I can always get different bands later I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Scarlett said:

Well, we just both got new phones so we have monthly payments on those.....So I want to pay cash for this and I think I can keep the price to $400 if I get the less expensive band and frame.  I can always get different bands later I guess.

Makes sense - we had just finished paying off my phone, so it was good timing to add this in as a payment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the way--the SE sells for less but does not have the ECG and oximeter that the 6 has.  It has everything else, including "fallen and can't get up."

I got the SE but my friend got the 6 because she has that low blood pressure/fainting thing, and the oximeter alerts her to 'danger zone." 

I held out for a long time but I am glad I got it.  the SE alerts me to heart arhythmia and tracks heart rates, and I can send that to my MD for tracking purposes.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Resilient said:

By the way--the SE sells for less but does not have the ECG and oximeter that the 6 has.  It has everything else, including "fallen and can't get up."

I got the SE but my friend got the 6 because she has that low blood pressure/fainting thing, and the oximeter alerts her to 'danger zone." 

I held out for a long time but I am glad I got it.  the SE alerts me to heart arhythmia and tracks heart rates, and I can send that to my MD for tracking purposes.  

Yes I read all about the SE and I thought it sounded great all the way up to it doesn't do the ECG....and that is the very thing I need it for.  I am sure most people don't though and it would be a great option for most people.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Yes I read all about the SE and I thought it sounded great all the way up to it doesn't do the ECG....and that is the very thing I need it for.  I am sure most people don't though and it would be a great option for most people.

I just wanted to let people know that the SE also does all the rest...just not those two features.  I thought really hard about it, and I suppose my next one will have those features.  

Edited by Resilient
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have the 3 and my husband has the SE. He would like to upgrade for the ECG thing (he’s been concerned about heart stuff because both his dad and grandfather had heart issues in their 40s and early 50s).  I am thinking about doing it for his birthday and then snagging his SE and passing the 3 to our son (who isn’t a very diligent watch wearer).  I hope you like yours.  Looking at prices, I am seeing them for under $400 which was not the case when my husband opted for the SE.  

I resisted smart watches for a long time but the heart rate tracking and the reminders on my wrist is absolutely fantastic.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

My have the 3 and my husband has the SE. He would like to upgrade for the ECG thing (he’s been concerned about heart stuff because both his dad and grandfather had heart issues in their 40s and early 50s).  I am thinking about doing it for his birthday and then snagging his SE and passing the 3 to our son (who isn’t a very diligent watch wearer).  I hope you like yours.  Looking at prices, I am seeing them for under $400 which was not the case when my husband opted for the SE.  

I resisted smart watches for a long time but the heart rate tracking and the reminders on my wrist is absolutely fantastic.  

Same here.  I have now totally justified the 'need' for it, but I am so excited by the fun part of it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yes, you have a really good reason to get it! The 5 and up have the “always on” face. That’s really nice. I have the 3.  You have to raise your wrist toward your face to activate the face on my model.
 

You will really love it! Which color did you get?

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Yes, you have a really good reason to get it! The 5 and up have the “always on” face. That’s really nice. I have the 3.  You have to raise your wrist toward your face to activate the face on my model.
 

You will really love it! Which color did you get?

 Silver Aluminum Case with Tomales Blue Solo Loop 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2021 at 3:34 PM, Resilient said:

I just wanted to let people know that the SE also does all the rest...just not those two features.  I thought really hard about it, and I suppose my next one will have those features.  

I just got the SE for Mother's Day. I still barely know how to use it. LOL I'm sure it's way more functional than what I use it for. I might start a spin-off to get some ideas.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know if the newer ones come with a pedometer now, but mine did not. There are apps you can put on your watch for that and you can even have it show your daily steps by adding it as a complication on your chosen watch face. Maybe the new ones do have a pedometer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...