Menu

Can you reccomend your face sunscreen?

Alicia64

FTR, I’m really far skinned so not positive mine actually wouldn’t look white on someone else (reviews are pretty good for others though), but my favorites are Farmacy Green Defense and BeautyCounter Countersun. I order these online. The only stores bought one I like is Sunbum (I also love their scalp one with the little nozzle for the part in my hair).

Edited because I realized you probably wanted non mineral sunscreen recommendations. Oops - that’s all I use.

Edited by Joker2
  • Like 1

The Australian Gold mineral facial sunscreen is tinted to counteract the typical white sheen and works well. My dh was initially skeptical about the tint, but he wears it happily now. I use the Elta mineral sunscreen right now (we only use physical sunscreens here), and it is similarly tinted. 

• Like 2

I just use Lubriderm moisturizer with SPF 15.  It's not at all greasy and I just reapply it as often as I need.  You used to be able to get this everywhere (CVS WM etc) but it's become less available in my area at least... but I can still get it if WM ships (not delivers, ships through the USPS).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I buy a lot of different tinted mineral sunscreens, and ones I like have been listed above already. One that I just finished and will rebuy is Bliss, bought from Target. I’ve been gravitating towards Bliss and Sunbum recently. There are ones in compacts (spf 50+) for touch-ups during the day. But I only use those after I’ve put the initial morning tube sunscreen and not as initial application.

• Thanks 1

I’ve used CeraVe daily moisturizer with SPF for years, but I just ordered sunscreen from Glossier that I’m excited to try. My face doesn’t need the moisturizer in summer and the new one is supposed to feel like a primer, easier to layer when I want. I’ve been loving Glossier products lately so I'm hopeful the sunscreen will feel as luxurious as their other products do on my skin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

EltaMD is fantastic but expensive.

Neutrogena Age Shield is my current every day go-to.

I have very fair very sensitive skin that burns. YMMV.

I'm not sure why, but I couldn't tag you. I want to say thank you so much.

I'm keeping this thread forever.

I think I'm going to try all of these suggestions.

Thank you again!

• Thanks 1

Disclaimer-  I am Allergic/ sensitive to most sunscreens especially on my face.These are what I can actually use without issues. 

Suntegrity- one of the very few I am not allergic to on my face and the first one I discovered I could wear. It costs a bit more but you can order samples on their website.  And it lasts as you don’t need too much. I tend to use this one for when I will be outside all day.  No issues ever with it. 

These I switch out for daily- Juice Beauty - they have a nice one that is oil free. 
Kiehls-  they have one that is nice and you can find it on sale a bit.  
Derma E-  great but a little thick to me for daily wear.  

Skin Aqua- I haven’t used this one yet personally but it pops up quite a bit on a forum I am on.  It is often recommended by so many with sensitive skin I ordered it on Amazon.  I will let you know if it really is any good.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

I love this for face use.  It is a zinc oxide product but doesn't go on thick, sticky and glaring white like other zinc oxide products I have used.  It is a solid, so it's super easy to put on.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Neutrogena-Pure-Free-Baby-Mineral-Sunscreen-Stick-SPF-60-0-47-oz/12167165?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2077&&adid=22222222227010186335&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40842486872&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-78655163192&wl5=9019541&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113506175&wl11=online&wl12=12167165&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwqvyFBhB7EiwAER786ZZtaWdVicDlGcD1lFO3howQwSWl6T-2utFVj1JNXUJLqiIsuSEOwhoCloIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

FWIW, we have a friend who had stage 4 skin cancer.  His dermatologist told him to tell everyone far and wide to avoid sunscreens that use the active ingredient oxybenzone.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one is hands-down my favorite. 

My skin is sensitive, on the dry side, and acne-prone. Chemical sunscreens sting my face, so mineral with a tint is a must for me. This has been the best one I’ve found. My runner up is the Australian Gold one mentioned above, but it tends to dry my face out over the course of the day. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I use Neutrogena moisturizer with SPF15 for everyday year-round; Neutrogena Ultra Sheer 85 or 100 if I know I'm going to be out in the sun.  I really want to try Glossier, though, I keep reading about them!

I should get mine next week—I’ll try to remember to update. 🙂 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

The first one is what I've been using for a few years. I've tried a few others but I never like them as much as this one. It's not greasy at all and I'm a pale person prone to burning and don't burn when I wear it so it must be effective.

• Like 2

If it helps, Neutrogena ultra sheer is my preference over Age Shield. My Target has just been out for a while and I go through a bottle a month. I have used the Neutrogena Pure, and like it, but I do ghost a bit with it, which is why I didn’t mention it.

I have tried the Badger stick, and it made my skin sticky when I was in a high heat/high humidity environment. I haven’t tried it here, where there is little humidity in summer.

Elta’s tint is warm-skin toned. It looks off on me. They do make a non-tinted version, and I do not ghost with it. I just can’t spend $30/month on sunscreen. 

2 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I like the French LaRoche-Posay sunscreens. I buy them from a store that imports them from French pharmacies. 

I like the Elta MD tinted sunscreen. The tint is a good match for me and it seems to have some kind of a color corrector in it. I will layer it with the LaRoche Posay sunscreen because I don't think it protects enough about hyperpigmentation. 

Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen is okay. It layers well with makeup. I won't wear it during the summer though. 

Can you share the store? I keep hearing recommendations and this may be my splurge for an event where I will be outside and need to wear makeup.

I use neutrogena.  I think it's spf 60.  They now make an age shield that is a 100+ spf that I'll probably try next.  They also make clear skin and sensitive skin versions.  

I can only do spf 15 in the winter.  My complexion laughs at spf 15.

Edited by KungFuPanda

7 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

His dermatologist told him to tell everyone far and wide to avoid sunscreens that use the active ingredient oxybenzone.  

Can you elaborate on this? The sunscreen my kids use has this (5%).

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I like the French LaRoche-Posay sunscreens. I buy them from a store that imports them from French pharmacies.  

Same. Anthelios specifically. This pandemic has my supplies dwindling. My idea of heaven is a French pharmacy. 
I have used eltaMD in a pinch, it’s also good.

my Cc creme, erborian, has SPF.

• Like 1

I am super sensitive to the chemical sunscreen usually known as oxybenzone. I break out in hives if I use it on myself and if I use it on my kids and touch my skin after touching them I break out.

I use Coola sunscreen. The tinted one for my face and avoid the white-ness on my face. I use the mineral spray for body for me and the kids. 

A bit of warning about the tinted sunscreens. They can get on clothes and dye them when you are putting it on. Make sure it is fully dry before getting dressed if you are wearing light colored clothes. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tap said:

A bit of warning about the tinted sunscreens. They can get on clothes and dye them when you are putting it on. Make sure it is fully dry before getting dressed if you are wearing light colored clothes. 

Thank you! Super great advice!

One of the things that bug me about mineral sunscreen is that they'll mess up the interior of the car too (if you apply in the car).

Today I only apply in the house and let it dry.

Thank you so much for the tint tip!!

Just now, Alicia64 said:

Thank you! Super great advice!

One of the things that bug me about mineral sunscreen is that they'll mess up the interior of the car too (if you apply in the car).

Today I only apply in the house and let it dry.

Thank you so much for the tint tip!!

Yep, one of dd's freinds left white smears on my black leather from her legs. My xh took the girls to a water park in my car, and forgot to tell them to sit on towels. :( I never completely got it off my leather. I was able to get most off, but not completely gone. 

• Like 1

Listening in.  

I've loved the Australian Gold after a rec here but the 50SPF is not quite strong enough for really heavy exposure. I didn't burn or get red but had some coloration that I'd like to avoid. I think I'll try the Neutrogena 100 mentioned here. 

And I'm curious about the other tinted varieties mentioned for the lighter exposure days. Australian Gold has worked great but face does get dry and the PP makes me.consider if that is something to change. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Soror said:

Listening in.  

I've loved the Australian Gold after a rec here but the 50SPF is not quite strong enough for really heavy exposure. I didn't burn or get red but had some coloration that I'd like to avoid. I think I'll try the Neutrogena 100 mentioned here. 

And I'm curious about the other tinted varieties mentioned for the lighter exposure days. Australian Gold has worked great but face does get dry and the PP makes me.consider if that is something to change. 

For me Australian Gold is not drying because I have oily t-zone, though more balanced since using tretinoin. So I like a matte finish because it looks better throughout the day, and I don’t need to powder.

Elta and Paula’s Choice tend to leave a shine. There are spf tints by Kosas and Ilia, but they make me look way too dewy. These might work better for drier skin.

I’ve never tried an spf 100. We don’t get high temps that often.

13 hours ago, RootAnn said:

For me and Dd we have photo allergy from this. So when I was a teen with no idea of the differences between mineral and chemical, I could never use sunscreen because I thought all sunscreens would break me out in hives.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, RootAnn said:

34 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Lake Tahoe. Don’t need high temps to get sunburns.

30 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

For me and Dd we have photo allergy from this. So when I was a teen with no idea of the differences between mineral and chemical, I could never use sunscreen because I thought all sunscreens would break me out in hives.

I do layer moisturizer before sunscreen to reduce sensitivity.

https://sugaringsouthlake.com/chemical-physical-sunscreen/

If you go this route avoid these ingredients: Oxybenzone & Octinaxate

These ingredients were banned in Hawaii because they has been shown to cause harm to coral reefs. Aside from that, Oxybenzone is a form of synthetic estrogen, according to theEnvironmental Working Group, and can cause a disruption in your hormones. These ingredients have been shown to cause skin allergies, and in animal studies, have had effects on the reproductive system and thyroid.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/hawaii-ban-sunscreens-oxybenzone-how-to-choose-coral-safe-sunscreen-2018-7

“As a 2018 briefing from the International Coral Reef Initiative explains,"[s]ome sunscreen chemicals, in certain situations, cause coral larvae to stop swimming, change shape, and ultimately die."

Oxybenzone in particular disrupts the development of coral, according to that briefing: "Oxybenzone has been shown to be an endocrine disrupter, causing the outer epidermal cells of coral larvae to turn into skeleton at the wrong stage in their development."

Corals that are stressed by heat or carbon dioxide — or chemicals like sunscreen — lose the colorful algae that help them derive nutrition from photosynthesis. This process is known as bleaching, and as bleached corals turn white, it makes them vulnerable to disease, harmful forms of algae, and death. 

It's possible that some mineral sunscreens could have a negative environmental impact as well, but in general, most experts think they are a safer choice for reefs. Some experts say they can be better choices for people, too.

"I typically recommend those [mineral blockers] to my patients because they have much less risk of being irritating to the skin, and you're getting that broad-spectrum coverage," dermatologist Kathleen Suozzi from the Yale School of Medicine recently told my colleague Hilary Brueck.”

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I'm currently at the beach and --despite my copious sunscreen use -- am starting to see some melasna. I'd love to know what keeps that at bay for others. 

Sunhat (beach and hiking,https://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Afternoons-Adventure-Medium-Black/dp/B002GF10EM/), sunglasses and sunscreen (every 2hr). UV protection long sleeves tops, mostly from Columbia Sportswear because I am near their outlet store. I wear jeans to the beach, I am scared of wind chills but love watching the surfers and the big waves. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Lake Tahoe. Don’t need high temps to get sunburns.

I do layer moisturizer before sunscreen to reduce sensitivity.

https://sugaringsouthlake.com/chemical-physical-sunscreen/

If you go this route avoid these ingredients: Oxybenzone & Octinaxate

These ingredients were banned in Hawaii because they has been shown to cause harm to coral reefs. Aside from that, Oxybenzone is a form of synthetic estrogen, according to theEnvironmental Working Group, and can cause a disruption in your hormones. These ingredients have been shown to cause skin allergies, and in animal studies, have had effects on the reproductive system and thyroid.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/hawaii-ban-sunscreens-oxybenzone-how-to-choose-coral-safe-sunscreen-2018-7

“As a 2018 briefing from the International Coral Reef Initiative explains,"[s]ome sunscreen chemicals, in certain situations, cause coral larvae to stop swimming, change shape, and ultimately die."

Oxybenzone in particular disrupts the development of coral, according to that briefing: "Oxybenzone has been shown to be an endocrine disrupter, causing the outer epidermal cells of coral larvae to turn into skeleton at the wrong stage in their development."

Corals that are stressed by heat or carbon dioxide — or chemicals like sunscreen — lose the colorful algae that help them derive nutrition from photosynthesis. This process is known as bleaching, and as bleached corals turn white, it makes them vulnerable to disease, harmful forms of algae, and death. 

It's possible that some mineral sunscreens could have a negative environmental impact as well, but in general, most experts think they are a safer choice for reefs. Some experts say they can be better choices for people, too.

"I typically recommend those [mineral blockers] to my patients because they have much less risk of being irritating to the skin, and you're getting that broad-spectrum coverage," dermatologist Kathleen Suozzi from the Yale School of Medicine recently told my colleague Hilary Brueck.”

Thanks for this, @Arcadia. Dh was insistent on mineral block back in '09. It sounds like they've made headway into less-lifeguard-nosing it.

That's a term, right?

Thank you again for this good info. I don't miss a whole lot from CA, except Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe I miss.

Sunhat (beach and hiking,https://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Afternoons-Adventure-Medium-Black/dp/B002GF10EM/), sunglasses and sunscreen (every 2hr). UV protection long sleeves tops, mostly from Columbia Sportswear because I am near their outlet store. I wear jeans to the beach, I am scared of wind chills but love watching the surfers and the big waves. 

Thanks. The area where we are vacationing isn't super-sun conscious, lol. We did a local water park on Sunday, and my kiddos and I were the only people in long sleeved rash guards. 😂

• Like 1

I used a hat and sunglasses and regularly applying sunscreen (my spf50 AG) and still had some color. I really want to get some Columbia SPF clothes, I'm really regretting that we didn't make it to the outlet while on vaca.

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

I'm currently at the beach and --despite my copious sunscreen use -- am starting to see some melasma. I'd love to know what keeps that at bay for others. 

Every summer, I undo 11 months of chemical exfoliation. 

Yes, I hear you. I'm hoping going up to 100 will help. 

• Like 2

I tend to burn more on cooler days.  If the weather is nice and breezy, I don't notice I'm being fried until too late.  I do try to slather on the high spf on most days in the spring and summer, but every now and then I THINK I'd going to be indoors and find myself outside.  I'm a pale, freckled redhead, so the sun really is out to get me. I can burn in just a few minutes.  It really is ridiculous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Check your area’s UV index. My weather now is showing UV index 9 even though temperature is only 18degC/65degF.

https://www.epa.gov/enviro/uv-index-overview

image.gif.0b0f18124c3503ac86f06d445c31498e.gif

7 minutes ago, Soror said:

I used a hat and sunglasses and regularly applying sunscreen (my spf50 AG) and still had some color. I really want to get some Columbia SPF clothes, I'm really regretting that we didn't make it to the outlet while on vaca.

Denim has a high protection factor though denim shirts/jackets might be too hot for most places. 
https://www.ewg.org/sunsafety/tips-sun-clothing.php

UPF clothing is distinguished from regular clothes by lab tests that show it shields the body from UV rays by a factor of 15 or greater. For everyday use, most clothing without a UPF label can provide adequate sun protection. A white cotton shirt's UPF may hover around 10. A colored shirt's UPF is higher. Denim jeans can have a UPF value of 1700 (Geis 2012). The reason: tighter weaves, dark or bright colors and thicker fabrics block more UV rays. If the fabric is wet, stretched out or too tight, it will block fewer UV rays. Some chemical additives like titanium dioxide, zinc oxide and Tinosorb FD are infused into fabric to improve UV filtering, but we don't advise buying clothes with chemicals.”

• Like 2

I've done a lot of experimenting with the zinc sunscreens.  So far my favorite all around 20%+ zinc oxide is hello bello SPF 50.  It runs in much better than anything else I've tried.  FWIW, one of my kids has a sensitivity to something in the formulation, but he has been sensitive to something in everything we've tried except for aveeno, so he uses that on his face and hello bello for arms.  I did try the nano/sheer neutrogena, but it was no better for color than the non-nano.

• Like 1

@RootAnnin addition to the environmental issue with oxybenzone, it is also absorbed readily through the skin.  It mimics estrogen in the body and for at least the last ten years, the American Association of Pediatrics has recommended that children don't use it at all because of this.

• Like 2

I’ve been using eucerin daily facial 30 spf for about the last 25 years. I hope it’s ok to use! It’s the only one I can lather everywhere and it doesn’t bother my eyes. 
I did just order some of the beautycounter brand above though. I like their products so I thought I’d give it a try. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

LOL. This is my dh. He doesn’t care about looking normal. 😜

Exactly. 🙂

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Thank you for these. I need a hat.

Check your area’s UV index. My weather now is showing UV index 9 even though temperature is only 18degC/65degF.

Denim has a high protection factor though denim shirts/jackets might be too hot for most places. 

UPF clothing is distinguished from regular clothes by lab tests that show it shields the body from UV rays by a factor of 15 or greater. For everyday use, most clothing without a UPF label can provide adequate sun protection. A white cotton shirt's UPF may hover around 10. A colored shirt's UPF is higher. Denim jeans can have a UPF value of 1700 (Geis 2012). The reason: tighter weaves, dark or bright colors and thicker fabrics block more UV rays. If the fabric is wet, stretched out or too tight, it will block fewer UV rays. Some chemical additives like titanium dioxide, zinc oxide and Tinosorb FD are infused into fabric to improve UV filtering, but we don't advise buying clothes with chemicals.”

I check the weather everyday, but thank you! Checking UV is a phenomenal idea!

LOL, yes, way too hot here for denim. Great point to check the UV level.