Menu

If you have had a Covid loss, how do you feel about things re-opening?

Janeway

If you have had a Covid loss, whether it be your business or your family member or friend, how do you feel about things re-opening? I admit to not wanting anything to re-open once Dad died. I mean, everyone is going on with life while my dad did not even see the light of day since the lockdown began. I hope the governments and businesses get held responsible for what was doing to the elderly in all this. My one sister is still holding on to refusing to go anywhere, having everything delivered, and wearing a mask on the rare occasion she goes out. Meanwhile, my other sister is angry things were locked down and Dad suffered how he did and how his last year of life was spent being locked away like that. I completely get how both feel and feel both ways. 

How is everyone else doing with the re-opening if you have had a loss?

• Sad 9

6 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

My DH's passing didn't change a single thing regarding the pandemic....if nothing else, it confirmed pretty much every thought I had about it. 

I am so sorry! I did not realize your husband had died from Covid. I missed it. I am just so incredibly sorry. 

I feel like I do not know what to think about it. Even during everything I was wearing masks before anyone (and getting negative comments about it) to not wearing masks, to feeling a big "wtf" over everything.

My teen, who lost a dear friend, is downright anxious when there are kids in public without masks, and is still wearing one in public. A big piece of the anxiety is fear that as a young person, it might have been possible to spread it to more vulnerable people, and it’s hard to let that fear go despite being fully vaccinated, but now it’s moved from being afraid for adults to being afraid for kids.

I did not suffer a Covid-related loss, but I just want to say, Janaway, that your feelings about it and your sister’s feelings also, are very typical of grief. It is normal to feel anger or bitterness attached to whatever situation caused a loss for you. 

After my baby died at birth, I would feel annoyed for years when pregnant women would blithely assume everything would be fine in their pregnancies. Of course, it is completely normal to blithely assume everything will be fine in one’s pregnancy, and that is exactly what I had done before that happened to me. It wasn’t logical but it was normal. 

Many hugs to you and your sisters. 

• Like 6

I lost a lot of older people, and my son would have been hospitalized if he hadn’t been sick while hospitals were overloaded.  I’m pretty okay with the current and near-future openings in my area, because people here, for the most part, are being pretty smart, regardless of what they may be saying in private.  I can’t yet say how I’ll feel about fall and then winter activities.  But right now, summer, with all of my favorite people but youngest ds vaccinated and lots of outdoor activities, and my oldest ds’s visit from out of state later this month... I’m good.

• Like 1

In our state (NJ) masks aren't required for vaccinated people in many situations. We are all vaccinated, but we're still wearing masks in our immediate family for the most part. Dh didn't wear a mask at church this Sunday, but if it was a later Mass with more people he would have. I will wait a few weeks before I decide if I can go without in the store. I will probably get a haircut without a mask if possible, but I'm working up to that. As far as the general feeling of COVID being behind us, that really makes me scratch my head. I'd like to see how the coming winter will be, then maybe I'll change how I feel. I can't say I'm unhappy about business picking up - the industry we service was hit particularly hard, which eventually hit us. But things are starting to get better, and dh has even had a few masked meetings with very good precautions in place.

We lost my father-in-law early on, shortly after everyone started taking things seriously. He went from the hospital to rehab and the rehab/nursing home closed to visitors before any state mandates, but they were still taking outpatient rehab clients while confining inpatient rehab to their rooms, so we're angry about that, but I think these places were unprepared in general. I don't know what could have been done differently, thinking about how these places are run. I'm sure the virus was circulating before the state mandates took place, and with the immediate shortages of PPE, I'm not surprised what happened. The facility where he was doesn't list any COVID deaths, and that makes me more angry than anything else. They cater to a wealthy clientele for the nursing home end of things, and I'm sure they don't want to tarnish their image. He didn't die there, but he caught it there.