Menu

Sunday morning I woke up to the sound of someone banging on a door...

Laurie

Posted (edited)

It was almost 4:30 am and I was startled awake by the banging sound.   Then I realized that it wasn't our door, and I ran over to the window to see where the sound was coming from.   My first thought/worry was for an elderly neighbor who lives alone, but his porch light was on and no one was there.  Then I figured out it was the house next to us, where there had been a very loud party of young people going on when I went to bed.  But all the lights were off, even their porch light so I couldn't see anything.  But now there was a male voice calling out but I couldn't understand what he was saying, and I couldn't see him.  Then he started banging on a window.   I thought maybe there had been a guest passed out in the front yard  and now he had come to and wanted to get in to claim his booze backpack or something.  For a moment I thought about opening the window to tell him to be quiet, but decided that was a bad idea.   I would wait, and if I heard any glass breaking then I'd call the police.  

Someone must have let him in because all the noise stopped over there, but I couldn't get back to sleep because of the adrenaline.   My heart had been pounding, so now I'm lying there and all I can think of is the blood pressure PSA on the radio where the people tell you what their blood pressure was right before they had a stroke or cardiac arrest.  And my family slept through it all!

Then this afternoon I read a horrible story in the local news.    In another city, a homeowner woke up to someone banging on his back door around 4am Saturday morning,  and he thought he was trying to break in.  The homeowner called the police, but then he took his gun and went outside. told the guy he had a gun and to leave.  But the guy started to come at him so the homeowner shot him and he died at the scene.   According to the article, this was a teen who had attended a graduation party on Friday night.  I wonder if he was too drunk to get home and ended up at this other home by mistake?  

Edited by Laurie
  • Sad 19

Ugh, I'm so sorry you had that experience.  I had one of those heart stopping moments many years ago but I can still remember that feeling.  My oldest DD was a newborn (and nursing) so I was very sleep deprived.  Earlier in the evening my mom had called me to tell me that they may be bringing my grandfather to the hospital in my town (they live in a small community about 45 minutes from me and I live in my state's capital) with several large hospitals because of some issues he was having and if they did, my dad would be coming to my house once grandpa was settled so he wouldn't have to drive all the way home in the middle of the night.  So at some point during the night I hear banging on my door and then the doorbell ringing and hear a male voice.  Given my sleep deprived brain and based on the phone call earlier, I did what I would never do: I opened the door without checking for a vehicle first (because anyone I know would drive to my house and have a vehicle they parked in my driveway).  And it was NOT my dad.  I know I screamed as I tried to slam the door back shut this guy is shoving the door open trying to get in.  He was stronger than I and as he stumbled in the door and started to head down the stairs (we have a split level house so the stairs are right there), he's got a policeman holding on his other arm trying to drag him back out.  Long story short, it's the neighbor's teenage kid who is so high that he can't tell his house from any of the others (there are several the same style as his but mine is a completely different and he still didn't realize it wasn't his) and he had been going up and down the street banging on doors trying to get his parents to let him in not realizing most of the doors he was banging on didn't have his parent on the other side.  I was so glad the police was right there but yeah, no one in my family heard a thing and it took hours before the adrenaline settled down.  But yes it's very likely the person you heard was mind altered in some fashion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

We woke up one night around 3 am by a man running into our house (door hadn't been locked), banging on the door and screaming for help.  He had dementia and thought his caregivers were holding him hostage, which, I guess in a way they were.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I woke up to pounding and someone turning the doorknob and trying to enter. I called out that they had the wrong house and that I had called the police. It was 2:30 so right after bar closing time and I think  they had the wrong house. Of course it was when my husband was traveling and I had young children. It took forever for the police to drive by and check in.

Another time it was subzero and a young man rang asking to use the phone. He said he lived a few houses down and was locked out. It turned out to be true but the family kept to themselves so I'd never seen him. I did offer to hand a phone out, or call the police or a locksmith, but he declined and walked off. I did call the police, because it wasn't safe to be out at night in those temps. I felt a little guilty when my husband confirmed who he was, but again I was home alone and wasn't going to risk our safety. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

That is so tragic about the boy who got shot.  

When a man broke into our house when I was a child and carried me out of my bed, he tried to claim he mistook our house for his own when drunk. While that excuse might work for a break-in it doesn’t make a lot of sense for someone who picked 9 year old me up out of my bed before he got caught.  Fortunately he woke up my brother who quickly alerted my parents.  He also tried to claim that he knew my mom and my mom had given him permission to come and get me.  Eventually he pled guilty.  That man was lucky the police got there fast because I think my mom would have killed him with her bare hands had he used that excuse to her face that night.  🤣 

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Sad 7

10 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

When a man broke into our house when I was a child and carried me out of my bed, he tried to claim he mistook our house for his own when drunk. While that excuse might work for a break-in it doesn’t make a lot of sense for someone who picked 9 year old me up out of my bed before he got caught.  Fortunately he woke up my brother who quickly alerted my parents.  He also tried to claim that he knew my mom and my mom had given him permission to come and get me.  Eventually he pled guilty.  That man was lucky the police got there fast because I think my mom would have killed him with her bare hands had he used that excuse to her face that night.  🤣 

Wow.  Glad your brother woke up! Close call.

2 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Ugh, I'm so sorry you had that experience.  I had one of those heart stopping moments many years ago but I can still remember that feeling.  My oldest DD was a newborn (and nursing) so I was very sleep deprived.  Earlier in the evening my mom had called me to tell me that they may be bringing my grandfather to the hospital in my town (they live in a small community about 45 minutes from me and I live in my state's capital) with several large hospitals because of some issues he was having and if they did, my dad would be coming to my house once grandpa was settled so he wouldn't have to drive all the way home in the middle of the night.  So at some point during the night I hear banging on my door and then the doorbell ringing and hear a male voice.  Given my sleep deprived brain and based on the phone call earlier, I did what I would never do: I opened the door without checking for a vehicle first (because anyone I know would drive to my house and have a vehicle they parked in my driveway).  And it was NOT my dad.  I know I screamed as I tried to slam the door back shut this guy is shoving the door open trying to get in.  He was stronger than I and as he stumbled in the door and started to head down the stairs (we have a split level house so the stairs are right there), he's got a policeman holding on his other arm trying to drag him back out.  Long story short, it's the neighbor's teenage kid who is so high that he can't tell his house from any of the others (there are several the same style as his but mine is a completely different and he still didn't realize it wasn't his) and he had been going up and down the street banging on doors trying to get his parents to let him in not realizing most of the doors he was banging on didn't have his parent on the other side.  I was so glad the police was right there but yeah, no one in my family heard a thing and it took hours before the adrenaline settled down.  But yes it's very likely the person you heard was mind altered in some fashion.

I can't imagine how frightening that must have been!!!   

We woke up one night to a guy trying to get into our backyard...we keep our gate locked but he kept reaching over to try to open it not realizing there was a lock on it.  He was either having mental health problems or he was high on something given the way he was talking.   We were upstairs and had called the police, but my husband opened the window and firmly told him that the police were on the way.   And then the guy just sat down on our steps and waited.   And the officers talked to him and I think they put him in their car without any problem (it happened a long time ago).   Maybe they had dealt with him before and knew where he lived?

42 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

That's terrifying!  Did you have trouble sleeping after that happened to you?  

I was too little to remember this happening, but my mom told me about the time some man came to the door late one night.   He said something like "I'm here for the kid", but it was a father who ended up at the wrong address instead of the babysitter's house.  

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Laurie said:

That's terrifying!  Did you have trouble sleeping after that happened to you?  

I was too little to remember this happening, but my mom told me about the time some man came to the door late one night.   He said something like "I'm here for the kid", but it was a father who ended up at the wrong address instead of the babysitter's house.  

Yes I did have trouble sleeping.  I also as an adult always refused to live in a house where the kids bedrooms are on a different floor.  My brother and I shared a bedroom off the kitchen by the back door and my parents and older brother were upstairs.  I looked at a house with a configuration like that and immediately walked out.  The realtor was trying to sell me on it and I was just like “NEXT HOUSE!” On the off chance someone ever did break in for my kid, they will have to go through me.  I know this is *exceedingly unlikely* to happen but logic doesn’t work with that part of the brain.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

Yes I did have trouble sleeping.  I also as an adult always refused to live in a house where the kids bedrooms are on a different floor.  My brother and I shared a bedroom off the kitchen by the back door and my parents and older brother were upstairs.  I looked at a house with a configuration like that and immediately walked out.  The realtor was trying to sell me on it and I was just like “NEXT HOUSE!” On the off chance someone ever did break in for my kid, they will have to go through me.  I know this is *exceedingly unlikely* to happen but logic doesn’t work with that part of the brain.  

I'm the same way about houses, without having experienced a trauma like you did.  

My grandmother grew up in Poland and was kidnapped by gypsies when she was very young.   She was taken from her ground floor bedroom, but was later seen and recognized in town and was reunited with her family.  For the rest of her life, she refused to have a ground floor bedroom.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are people in this area who regularly bang on doors (though not necessarily in the middle of the night) to see if anyone is home.  If no one answers, they will break in.  If you do answer, they have an (often lame ) excuse.  I had it happen to me.  I opened an upstairs window (where I was safe) and called down to them to let them know that the house was occupied and that I was alerting the police to their presence. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

That is horrifying!  I'm so glad your brother took action and you were safe!  

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There are people in this area who regularly bang on doors (though not necessarily in the middle of the night) to see if anyone is home.  If no one answers, they will break in.  If you do answer, they have an (often lame ) excuse.  I had it happen to me.  I opened an upstairs window (where I was safe) and called down to them to let them know that the house was occupied and that I was alerting the police to their presence. 

This is why I always tell my kids when they first stay home by themselves to not hide if someone knocks on the door but to make lots of noise so someone knows they are there.  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

When my kids were little I had to call the police because I had seen 2 men on our neighbor's porch.   When they threw his newspaper into the bushes I knew they were trouble.   They didn't do anything else at his house, but then they came to our house and knocked on the door and rang the bell.  I was already on the phone with the police dispatcher, and then I was scared to death when I could see them walking around our porch by the windows.   They left, but the police found them nearby and talked to them.  Their story was that they were selling magazine subscriptions.   

This also reminds me of something I saw on the local news.  It was a warning about people who try to look like they're with a utility company by wearing a reflective vest and then they can case your property by pretending that they're inspecting something.   They had a homeowner's video of a man walking around trying doors and windows.

Before my mom passed away, she was living in her house alone.  I went to a meeting in her neighborhood when a local church was planning to host a tent city for the homeless.   The homeless group told us that one of the benefits to having them in the neighborhood was that their tent dwellers would regularly leave the church parking lot and go on a walking patrol around the neighborhood!   I was very suspicious about that...it sounded more like a cover story for casing the neighbors' homes and cars.   

• Like 1

We had a drunk guy enter our apartment when I was in my twenties.  DH was home and we were expecting his brother so the door wasn't locked.  Luckily the guy was a good natured drunk and was apologetic and happy to be helped to find the right apartment.