Menu

Cordless Dyson

Elizabeth86

Miele makes one that works satisfactorily. Battery life is I guess reasonable for what it is. It can do a large carpet, one room, quite thoroughly. That's probably all you want it for anyway, right?

The dirt can is NASTY btw. I let my dh deal with that. But for low pile rugs, stairs, quickie scenarios, it's nice.

• Thanks 1

I have a Dyson V8 Animal cord-free vacuum.  I bought it two years ago, and wow, what a difference in my attitude about vacuuming!  I haven't used any of the other cord-free vacuums though so I can't compare it with others, but we've been really happy with it.  We often have two dogs running around and it does a great job getting up the hair.  So far, no problem with the battery.   We live in a 1600 sq. ft. apartment now, all carpeted, and I usually do a thorough job of half of it at once, and the battery lasts for that.  I don't think I could do a thorough job of the entire apartment on one charge, but could do a quick job of it on one charge.

Last month, it suddenly began shutting down after just a few minutes, and I thought something had gone haywire.  Then I read that it was because the filters needed rinsing -- something I should have been doing all along I guess!  Anyway, they (two filters) were simple to remove and rinse in the faucet.  That solved everything and it works perfectly once again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I bought a Dyson Animal Stick v7 or 8 (forget which one).  It's awesome - lightweight, nice attachments, etc.  BUT, the "hopper" or dust/hair container is NOT large.  It's used to quickly remove dirt, dust, pet hair.  I have no complaints over than the hopper is small.  I thought my battery fizzled out too so I called company and they sent us a new battery at no charge b/c we are under warranty.  Later when I went in to "try" the Dyson, to my amazement it worked.  It's always plugged in.  The wall switch turns it on/off that is also connected to our table lamp so I'm thinking every time we enter our spare bedroom/guest room and turn on the light switch, the light comes on but the Dyson starts charging. I'm thinking the power surge is not good all the time and that's what was happening. A constant current does not hurt it according to directions and sales rep.  You only need to let motor cool down before charging.  On regular speed use is about 40 min and max speed is only 8 min.  It's doable for what I'm using it for but our big sweeper just konked out so dh and I are looking for another big sweeper.  I posted for sweeper recs just a few weeks ago.  On the list for consideration of a new sweeper are: Dyson, Miele has Peter Pan suggested and a few others mentioned in my post.   Think I'll try to find it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I have a Dyson V8 Animal cord-free vacuum.  I bought it two years ago, and wow, what a difference in my attitude about vacuuming!  I haven't used any of the other cord-free vacuums though so I can't compare it with others, but we've been really happy with it.  We often have two dogs running around and it does a great job getting up the hair.  So far, no problem with the battery.   We live in a 1600 sq. ft. apartment now, all carpeted, and I usually do a thorough job of half of it at once, and the battery lasts for that.  I don't think I could do a thorough job of the entire apartment on one charge, but could do a quick job of it on one charge.

Last month, it suddenly began shutting down after just a few minutes, and I thought something had gone haywire.  Then I read that it was because the filters needed rinsing -- something I should have been doing all along I guess!  Anyway, they (two filters) were simple to remove and rinse in the faucet.  That solved everything and it works perfectly once again.

Yes, I forgot to mention filters. The filters are supposed to dry before reinstalling. I wash mine after I've used the machine.  Knowing I won't have to vacuum for a few days I then soak them for 5 minutes, rinse and let dry for 2 days.  Shorter in hot, summer weather and longer in cooler weather.  And, I'm with ya - I do not have a bad attitude about using the vacuum.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes, I forgot to mention filters. The filters are supposed to dry before reinstalling. I wash mine after I've used the machine.  Knowing I won't have to vacuum for a few days I then soak them for 5 minutes, rinse and let dry for 2 days.  Shorter in hot, summer weather and longer in cooler weather.  And, I'm with ya - I do not have a bad attitude about using the vacuum.  

Could you get an extra set of filters while the others are getting cleaned? How often do they need cleaning?

7 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Could you get an extra set of filters while the others are getting cleaned? How often do they need cleaning?

Right, good question.  I bought ours at start of pandemic lock down or shortly thereafter.  I called in with a question and she sent me, free of charge, another filter.  There are 2 filters.  One looks like a small hotdog or "stick" and the other goes on the end like a "cap".  I don't know what the directions say about cleaning.  I could look for manual and lyk if you like.  I clean don't use my Dyson everyday.   If I'm using it more often I will still only switch the "stick" filter every 2 weeks.  I try to clean them the first of every month as it's easy for me to remember.  I give Shiloh her monthly dog meds (flea/tick and interceptor) the first of every month as well as dh changing HVAC filter and seasoning my wooden/bamboo cutting board with mineral oil for preservation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I only vacuum about once/week these days, but I'll probably get in the habit of cleaning the filters at least once every 6 months now that I know I'm supposed to clean them!  And yes, you do need to let them air-dry, which can take a day or sometimes two.

Also, to help anyone visualize how light it is --  🙂  -- My dd lives about 3 blocks away and doesn't yet have her own vacuum so she borrow ours.   So I carry it to our mid-way point and she picks it up and carries it to her apartment.  😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, sheryl said:

56 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I only vacuum about once/week these days, but I'll probably get in the habit of cleaning the filters at least once every 6 months now that I know I'm supposed to clean them!  And yes, you do need to let them air-dry, which can take a day or sometimes two.

Also, to help anyone visualize how light it is --  🙂  -- My dd lives about 3 blocks away and doesn't yet have her own vacuum so she borrow ours.   So I carry it to our mid-way point and she picks it up and carries it to her apartment.  😁

I'm glad to hear it is so light.  That means my little helpers can use it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I'm glad to hear it is so light.  That means my little helpers can use it!

Yes, are you interested in the "stick" cordless or "full" sweeper?  The animal stick, unless they redesigned in the last year, has a push button operation.  That is kinda a drawback was wasn't a deal breaker for me.  You have to keep your finger "pressed" to "run/operate" unit.  Once your finger comes off the button, the sweeper stops.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes, are you interested in the "stick" cordless or "full" sweeper?  The animal stick, unless they redesigned in the last year, has a push button operation.  That is kinda a drawback was wasn't a deal breaker for me.  You have to keep your finger "pressed" to "run/operate" unit.  Once your finger comes off the button, the sweeper stops.

I’m looking at the stick cordless.

I have a V11, I got a refurbished one for half price from either nordstrom or nordstrom rack online.  I love the vacuum.  I don't expect the battery to last long.  I have kids and a dog and I usually have at least one area of the house that needs vacuumed daily. If I let kids take snacks in the living room, twice a day. The cordless means I can pull it off the charger hung on the wall, vacuum that one area, and put it back to charge again.  I've never run out of battery, but I probably only do the main floor, the steps upstairs, and the kids rooms at once.  I rarely have more than 45 minutes at a time to clean, so I do the other areas on a rotational basis as I need. I also VERY RARELY put it on MAX because that setting is so strong it pulls my carpets up off the floor.  Most of the time I use it on medium unless I've removed the head to vacuum the baseboards or edges of the stairs or air vents or something.  I've probably had it 6 months.  I don't expect batteries like this to last much longer than 3 years, although my husband has cordless tools that have lasted 6.

If I wanted to vacuum my whole house in one go it might not be the best option, but the point of cordless is that I use it so often it never gets so bad I need to do the whole house at once. It's so quick to pull out & use that I use it whenever there's a mess, and it takes less time to get done than it does to set up & put away with the corded vacuums.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I have two and I wash one when I've finished vacuuming each week.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

Yeah, that was a no go for me. Shark cordless do not have that issue. 

I'd definitely watch the Vacuum Wars videos. 

Also, Shark has a cordless upright - not a stick - that is supposed to be amazing. Easier on the hand because the weight is on the floor rather than the engine/whatever up in your hand. Amazing suction for a cordless, etc. It can be a bit harder to find, but he has a video review of it. It's the vacuum I'd love. Cause I LOVE LOVE LOVE my shark duo clean upright, but hate having a cord. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Also, Shark has a cordless upright - not a stick - that is supposed to be amazing. Easier on the hand because the weight is on the floor rather than the engine/whatever up in your hand. Amazing suction for a cordless, etc. It can be a bit harder to find, but he has a video review of it. It's the vacuum I'd love. Cause I LOVE LOVE LOVE my shark duo clean upright, but hate having a cord. 

Oooh that sounds like the perfect option for when our current Shark needs to be replaced! Off to go watch vacuum wars now. (Sentence I never thought I'd write)

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I did watch a bit of the "wars" lol.  Shark is under consideration as well as a few others but they are pricey so idk.  Riccar, Miele and then there's Oreck and Electrolux.  Like any reviews, I've seen mixed.  Reviews are ok but not always all-telling.  I needed a new vacuum yesterday!

V7 is on sale at Home Depot (hopefully still) and I was just thinking of getting one. Our husky can produce a fur coat with the amount she sheds.

Is V7 good enough? Or spend a little more for the V8? I don’t need good battery life, but I need strength to suck up all the hair in the car and rugs.

11 hours ago, sheryl said:

Right, good question.  I bought ours at start of pandemic lock down or shortly thereafter.  I called in with a question and she sent me, free of charge, another filter.  There are 2 filters.  One looks like a small hotdog or "stick" and the other goes on the end like a "cap".  I don't know what the directions say about cleaning.  I could look for manual and lyk if you like.  I clean don't use my Dyson everyday.   If I'm using it more often I will still only switch the "stick" filter every 2 weeks.  I try to clean them the first of every month as it's easy for me to remember.  I give Shiloh her monthly dog meds (flea/tick and interceptor) the first of every month as well as dh changing HVAC filter and seasoning my wooden/bamboo cutting board with mineral oil for preservation.

Thank you for this. I have wanted one of these forever, but could never bite the bullet to spend the money, and always worried about the reviews about the battery and such. We ended up being given one as a gift, and it has changed my vacuuming life!! I definitely regret not having gotten one long ago. Although, maybe the older ones weren’t as good. I never knew this about the filters, though. I empty the collection cup every time I use it (and I can’t believe how much it picks up, even from carpets!), but I didn’t know there were filters in there.

9 hours ago, sheryl said:

This is the one drawback to me as well. I actually don’t mind that it comes on and off, as it seems like that conserves battery, but the location of it makes it almost impossible to not accidentally pull the trigger when I’m carrying it around. I also do find it tiring for my hand, but hand strength is an issue for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Thank you for this. I have wanted one of these forever, but could never bite the bullet to spend the money, and always worried about the reviews about the battery and such. We ended up being given one as a gift, and it has changed my vacuuming life!! I definitely regret not having gotten one long ago. Although, maybe the older ones weren’t as good. I never knew this about the filters, though. I empty the collection cup every time I use it (and I can’t believe how much it picks up, even from carpets!), but I didn’t know there were filters in there.

Sure.  Yes, despite a couple weaknesses it's a powerful yet gentle tool.  Look at your model to find where the filter are or call Dyson.  On my 8 the "round cap" at the top end of the unit just twists off.  This circular "puck" faces "up" when sweeper is standing. Soak in lukewarm water for 5 min.  I use my finger to gentle rub the inside and then swish it around in the pool of water.   Rinse.  Same with the other filter.  On my 8 the cylinder looking filter is embedded "near" the top but facing outward.  It has a little nub by which you pull it outward.  Clean and insert by pushing in.

1 hour ago, KSera said:

This is the one drawback to me as well. I actually don’t mind that it comes on and off, as it seems like that conserves battery, but the location of it makes it almost impossible to not accidentally pull the trigger when I’m carrying it around. I also do find it tiring for my hand, but hand strength is an issue for me. 

My hand is always accidentally pushing "on" the vacuum.  It's just what I expect to do now.  

*****  Do NOT plug in your dyson to charge immediately after using.  Let sweeper/battery cool down and then you can keep it plugged in until next use.  Directions were given to me by Dyson customer service.

And, lastly, I agree with you that vacuuming is not so much a chore now.  Very easy to use.  🙂  

• Like 1