Menu

Update 8/1 Vaccine injury? (Not specifically Covid related)

So, dh has had deltoid/shoulder pain since a few days after his first Pfizer vaccine. I’ve been saying he didn’t even have a sore arm because it wasn’t the usual pain after a vaccine and it was a few days later. Neither of us really knew there were actually injuries like this from vaccines until today when I went to Google and read about SIRVA (I think that’s accurate?). The pain is getting worse now as well as a more limited range of motion. I’m going to call the doctor tomorrow and make an appointment, but is this something that will eventually go away on its own? Does anyone here know of things he could do to make it better? Any experience, info, or advice at all?

Update 8/1

I just wanted to update this since there is so much discussion out there regarding vaccine injuries, but dh’s issue is actually his spine. The doctor finally ordered several MRI’s after nothing was working but the pain was getting worse and includes most of the arm now. Poor dh’s back has always had some issues but it’s actually a mess. The timing of the vaccine was just a weird coincidence. We’ll find out soon if he has to have surgery (of course, Covid might delay it) but it’s looking that way. 

Edited by Joker2
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am almost two months out from my second shot and I still have some bicep (not deltoid or shoulder) pain and a tiny bit of limited motion when dressing, although these past few days it has suddenly improved quite a bit.

As I recall, mine also became worse a few days after vaccination. I did not have this problem with the first shot, which was in a different arm. 

I had a doctor exam and an x-ray. The x-ray showed nothing remarkable. The doctor said he could feel that my arm was inflamed. There was a "drop off" in the muscle, like part of the muscle was swollen. He said it was an immune response. 

He prescribed Aleve or Advil, capsaicin cream (a warming cream used for arthritis), and massage (because I told him it helped when my DH massaged it). The Aleve surprisingly did not help much at all. For whatever reason Advil has been much more effective. 

I think it's just going to take time. 

Hope your DH's arm improves more quickly than mine! Thankfully neither DH or DD has had this problem.

• Like 1

After my first Moderna shot, which was end of April, I had pain within the first 15 minutes of getting it. The pain was dull and started in my shoulder and arm on that side but eventually went throughout my whole body. For a few days it stayed that way but then eventually was just on the side I got the vaccine. But still throughout that side.

On day 10 after the vaccine my shoulder joint and hip on that side started hurting enough to make me take pain killers but they did nothing to the pain. By day 14 the pain was up my neck and into my jaw. It was so bad that day I could sleep and I was nauseous. I also could not move my arm on that side more than a tiny bit because of the shoulder pain.

Day 15 I went to the Dr and he told me it was not sirva and more likely and autoimmune response so I shouldn't get the 2nd shot. He put me on Prednisone for 5 days and gave me PT stretches to do and warned me that if I didn't fight through the pain and stopped using my shoulder I'd get frozen shoulder.

So, I've been doing that ever since and while most of my range of motion is back it is perfect. Stretching my arm across my body causes extreme shoulder pain but other than that it is mostly just stiff. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Joker2 said:

So, dh has had deltoid/shoulder pain since a few days after his first Pfizer vaccine. I’ve been saying he didn’t even have a sore arm because it wasn’t the usual pain after a vaccine and it was a few days later. Neither of us really knew there were actually injuries like this from vaccines until today when I went to Google and read about SIRVA (I think that’s accurate?). The pain is getting worse now as well as a more limited range of motion. I’m going to call the doctor tomorrow and make an appointment, but is this something that will eventually go away on its own? Does anyone here know of things he could do to make it better? Any experience, info, or advice at all?

Anti inflammatories and physical therapy and massage are generally what you need to do to avoid it getting worse. Shoulder muscles/tendons/ligaments are notoriously finicky and if you don't use them enough because it hurts to move your arm they tighten up and then you get MORE pain and lose range of motion until you end up with a frozen shoulder. It isn't that the initial injury keeps getting worse so much that the instinct to not move the arm makes it worse. Because shoulders are dumb. 

• Like 3

• 1234 changed the title to Update 8/1 Vaccine injury? (Not specifically Covid related)

Update 

I just wanted to update this since there is so much discussion out there regarding vaccine injuries, but dh’s issue is actually his spine. The doctor finally ordered several MRI’s after nothing was working but the pain was getting worse and includes most of the arm now. Poor dh’s back has always had some issues but it’s actually a mess. The timing of the vaccine was just a weird coincidence. We’ll find out soon if he has to have surgery (of course, Covid might delay it) but it’s looking that way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3