Menu

Do we have a Father’s Day gift thread?

Spryte

Instead of a tangible gift, the kids (and I) host the Annual Father's Day Ice Cream Taste Testing Contest! The kids (even now that they are older teens) help find a "prize" for the winner, make posters & decorate with streamers, and print out Official Ballots. My role is to find 5 different kinds of ice cream (nut free!), and scoop 1 large spoonful into a pre-numbered Dixie cups. So each contestant gets 5 Dixie cups, numbered 1-5, and we each take our best guess. You get 1 point for the general flavor, 1 point for the brand name (because we had to make it harder due to Grammy's amazing ice cream abilities), and 1 point for the EXACTLY WORDED name of the ice cream (had to make it even harder).

Afterwards we all argue over which one is best, and dish out leftovers to anyone who needs to "check #2 just one more time." 🙂

It's a hoot, we ham it up like crazy, make the dads feel special, and they don't need to store yet another tie or garden tool they don't really need. 

❤️

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 17

2 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Instead of a tangible gift, the kids (and I) host the Annual Father's Day Ice Cream Taste Testing Contest! The kids (even now that they are older teens) help find a "prize" for the winner, make posters & decorate with streamers, and print out Official Ballots. My role is to find 5 different kinds of ice cream (nut free!), and scoop 1 large spoonful into a pre-numbered Dixie cups. So each contestant gets 5 Dixie cups, numbered 1-5, and we each take our best guess. You get 1 point for the general flavor, 1 point for the brand name (because we had to make it harder due to Grammy's amazing ice cream abilities), and 1 point for the EXACTLY WORDED name of the ice cream (had to make it even harder).

Afterwards we all argue over which one is best, and dish out leftovers to anyone who needs to "check #2 just one more time." 🙂

It's a hoot, we ham it up like crazy, make the dads feel special, and they don't need to store yet another tie or garden tool they don't really need. 

❤️

That is wonderful!  What fun!

• Like 1

nothing for my dad other than a hug.  Maybe I'll make him a cup of coffee in the morning if my mom doesn't get to it first, the joys of living with your parents! For dh, probably nothing. He will have the entire day to do whatever the heck he wants.  He won't have to make any meals and I'll even cook him whatever meal he wants.  But I won't be buying him any gifts.  The kids will like not buy him anything either.  The ones that want will make him a card.  They'll all acknowledge it though and participate in whatever he wants to do.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

nothing for my dad other than a hug.  Maybe I'll make him a cup of coffee in the morning if my mom doesn't get to it first, the joys of living with your parents! For dh, probably nothing. He will have the entire day to do whatever the heck he wants.  He won't have to make any meals and I'll even cook him whatever meal he wants.  But I won't be buying him any gifts.  The kids will like not buy him anything either.  The ones that want will make him a card.  They'll all acknowledge it though and participate in whatever he wants to do.

A cup of coffee made by someone else is always a great gift.  😊

• Like 1

I am getting my dad a trail camera, hopefully so he can capture some images of the bobcat he's only gotten a fleeting glance at and whatever other wildlife passes by. Unfortunately, my parents don't have a pond or stream on their property, I have noticed that the log over the stream or pond-side view cameras are the best sited for wildlife watching.

My husband had a bad relationship with his own father and doesn't really celebrate Father's Day. When the kids were young, they made him cards. 

• Like 3

I'll be giving my husband a hodgepodge of gifts.

A couple of shirts (thrift store finds)

A book (thrift store find)

A movie that he mentioned (new)

A goodie or two (quite likely a chocolate cigar in honor of the chocolate cigars he handed out when our daughter was born)

I know that my daughter is intending to send a package from South Korea where she lives/works. She plans to include his favorite Korean treat.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I'm including what I've given my dad in the past. He lives in CA and I'm in GA so it's all by mail.

These were hits:

Chocolate covered strawberries (huge hit, but not inexpensive).

Books on his favorite sport's team (I just googled Amazon and found well-reviewed books).

Also, I'm giving my dad one of these cool gift cards:

Dads who golf.

Dads who BBQ.

Dads into music.

Dads into sports.

Dads at the beach.

You probably can tell that I have something due today. I get extra helpful when I'm on deadline.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm bringing my dad out to lunch for fathers day when I visit.  My mom can't get out like they use to and dad won't go to lunch by himself so gifting him a lunch out is a gift he loves and my mom loves it also for him to get out of the house.  He enjoys lunch then wants to hurry back to the house.  I just go with it and enjoy our time together.

• Like 1

I bought my DH a pizza grilling thing, so we can make pizzas on the grill.  No idea if he will like it or not, but he likes to use his grill and his smoker, so it seems like something he might like. I will get him some accessories to go with it. I also saw a bunch of grilling spices at Williams-Sonoma that look interesting. I might get him a few of them as well.

The dogs are giving him a "Dog Dad" sweatshirt. 😂

I will send my dad a card. 

• Like 2

I am getting Dh a flame thrower/weed thing - thank you for the suggestion, Bill - for his birthday (same weekend as Father's Day), and a 4" circular saw for using in tight spaces. He will be very happy.

But, with the drought we are having, he won't be able to use the flamer right away, poor guy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I am getting Dh a flame thrower/weed thing - thank you for the suggestion, Bill - for his birthday (same weekend as Father's Day), and a 4" circular saw for using in tight spaces. He will be very happy.

But, with the drought we are having, he won't be able to use the flamer right away, poor guy.

It’s almost cruel to get him a flamethrower he can’t use yet! 😉

• Haha 2

I'm giving dh a gift certificate to a spa for a deep muscle massage and as a family we'll bike or hike, depending on the weather, to a Palestinian-owned shawarma place that's new to us. The food gets rave reviews and looks homemade and scrumptious. Dh will probably enjoy the shawarma place most of all 🙂 

ETA: When dd19 was teeny we experienced the prior emergence of this year's cicadas, and she was inspired to tape cicada corpses onto his card. If the critters cooperate maybe she can recreate that legendary missive this year.

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Thanks to that thread, we now have a flame thrower, too!  It is very effective.

• Like 1

My husband has weird feet.  Totally flat and he gets a lot of pain from it.  He finally found a pair of shoes that, with his orthotic, give him the ability to exercise without pain.  I ordered him another pair of those so he doesn’t wear out one pair super fast.  

We will also make a nice meal and do the regular cards and such.  

• Like 3

My DH is getting a nice meal cooked by me, a chocolate dessert baked by the kids, and a trip to the ropes course close to our house for him to do something fun with all of us.  The ropes course is expense so it's always a special treat when we do this.

• Like 2

I sent my father a bouquet of meat sticks and meat flowers. I purchased single malt scotch caramels for my DH. He has an insane sweet tooth. We were slated to go to an outdoor burger fest but it was canceled. We’re also flying out to see my dad in August so that’s the biggie.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

My husband has weird feet.  Totally flat and he gets a lot of pain from it.  He finally found a pair of shoes that, with his orthotic, give him the ability to exercise without pain.  I ordered him another pair of those so he doesn’t wear out one pair super fast.  

We will also make a nice meal and do the regular cards and such.  

As a fellow flat-footed person I want to thank you for your spousal consideration regarding orthotics + good shoes. I am low maintenance with clothes etc but for shoes I go high end because I need support for my flippers 🙂 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Acadie said:

As a fellow flat-footed person I want to thank you for your spousal consideration regarding orthotics + good shoes. I am low maintenance with clothes etc but for shoes I go high end because I need support for my flippers 🙂 

I don’t thing much good comes from cheaping out on shoes in general but it’s definitely not an option for him.  The ones he found are Brooks.  

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 6:59 PM, Spryte said:

What are you giving to your father?  Your DH?  What are your kids giving?

My dd  bought him a crossword puzzle book (same brand and series we like).  He’s always doing ones he find in the papers and we’ll be on a laid back vacation this summer (visiting relatives), so lots of downtime.

On 6/6/2021 at 7:48 PM, Kalmia said:

I am getting my dad a trail camera, hopefully so he can capture some images of the bobcat he's only gotten a fleeting glance at and whatever other wildlife passes by. Unfortunately, my parents don't have a pond or stream on their property, I have noticed that the log over the stream or pond-side view cameras are the best sited for wildlife watching.

My husband had a bad relationship with his own father and doesn't really celebrate Father's Day. When the kids were young, they made him cards. 

Oooohhhh that’s a good idea for DH!  Thanks!

On 6/7/2021 at 4:31 PM, Faith-manor said:

OK, my dh NEEDS a flamethrower for weeds.  Does anyone have a link to a decent one from Amazon?