Menu

I didn’t brace myself for illnesses.

Carrie12345

My 17yo was sick last week. Fever kept coming and going and she went back and forth between feeling fine and rotten. She’s got some important things coming up, so she got a COVID test just in case, and it was negative.
My 19yo, who is in her own place now, about 45 minutes away, was sick yesterday and trying to tough it out, but wound up going to the ER in the middle of the night. She’s got the flu!  In June! Sigh.

Both of them are flu and COVID vaxxed. It’s (basically) summer.  Both are pretty cautious.  I’m genuinely shocked. I wasn’t expecting any issues until at least October. 😛 

• Sad 20

My 14 year old got sick a few weeks ago. I was so disoriented!!!! What do I do? No one has been sick in this house for over a year!!!! It was almost comical. 

strep, COVID, and mono tests were all negative. So it was just a cold. 

• Like 5

So sorry! The flu vaccine doesn't last all that long. My DH prefers we wait until absolutely the last minute to get ours (when the first couple of flu cases show up locally) to make them last longer. We didn't do that last fall as we heard more people than typical were getting the shot, and because we were somewhat concerned about going on in public to get them as numbers climbed. 

This is probably another reason for us to use masks in crowds until the next flu shot.

• Like 2

Yeah the 2 yr old got sick a few weeks ago.  It was a shock and I was kind of upset at first.  But than I realized it was the first time she had been sick in over a year.  She had croup last February, which is nuts 2 yr olds are always sick. I am mentally preparing myself for her to get sick on our trip this month and quite a bit in the next few months.

Yep--DH brought home our first cold in a year and a half after a week of end of the year socializing with teacher friends. All six of us got it in short order. I'd totally forgotten how miserable a bad cold can be. We usually pass around one cold a winter, so I'm a little annoyed that apparently we didn't miss out on it after all by wearing masks and staying outside; we just delayed it. Not fair!

• Like 2

Here too. In this case, it appears to be allergy stuff. Ds mowed the lawn on Friday, but was feeling a bit bad before he started. I'm sure the mowing didn't help. Since Friday afternoon, he has spent most of the time in bed or on the couch. No fever, but he has used up an enormous amount of Kleenex.