Jump to content

Menu

For fun-- if you had $500 to spend at Amazon, what would you get?


Recommended Posts

Books.  Soooo many books.

Right now, I think if I’m just frivolously spending, it would be on some new outdoor things.  

We could use some new marshmallow roasting sticks, and some outdoor hangout items.  Maybe a screen for the movie projector?  

Or, if they actually had any, an Intex pool since we aren’t heading to the pool this year.  🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably an Apple watch. I've been kinda sorta wanting one but can't justify the money for a tech toy that I totally do not need. But I wouldn't mind having a new laptop, either. Decisions, decisions . . . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably a $500 gift card bc I can never make up my mind. 

Then I’d fritter it away on medicine and household items and toiletries and charging cords and random needed stuff...but no one big fun thing.

Im a better window shopper than actual shopper.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I’d probably update my kitchenware. I would love a new set of pots and pans, nordicware cake pans, and Pyrex. Maybe a moderately priced espresso machine too!

Then again, I’ve been meaning to replace my fleece pullover, snow boots and hiking boots for past three winters. I should probably do that first. Boring!

Edited by AnneGG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Probably an Apple watch. I've been kinda sorta wanting one but can't justify the money for a tech toy that I totally do not need. But I wouldn't mind having a new laptop, either. Decisions, decisions . . . 

I'd definitely  look at tech that I don't *need* but would like to have. Maybe a new Surface Pro

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pinball said:

Probably a $500 gift card bc I can never make up my mind. 

Then I’d fritter it away on medicine and household items and toiletries and charging cords and random needed stuff...but no one big fun thing.

Im a better window shopper than actual shopper.

 

I am also a much better window shopper!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for me? 

New shoes- cute everyday sandals, dressy sandals, tennis shoes x2, brown loafer shoes, maybe even a pair if short boots 👟   I could spend the whole amount on shoes for me bc I'm the last one in the family to get them! 

Fit Bit or similar 

Kettlebell- 15 and 20lb

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Outdoor end tables for my living are outside.

A huge mirror for my family room. (I am trying to bring in more light)

Office chair

Duvet cover

I am sure that is way more than $500. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

A Roomba.  I've always wanted one. 

I just bought an OKP K2 robot vac for $112 on Amazon and I really like it! I’ve wanted one for a while but the price + not being too impressed with the performance of one in an AirBNB we visited, put me off. Decided it was worth the gamble for that price and I’m really enjoying it and things look so much nicer in the house with it doing it’s thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

nothing.

 I refuse to use Amazon 

Similar. My rule is only once per year and then only if I can’t find the item anywhere else. It’s usually some obscure stocking item as that’s all we do for Christmas gifts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tap said:

Outdoor end tables for my living are outside.

A huge mirror for my family room. (I am trying to bring in more light)

Office chair

Duvet cover

I am sure that is way more than $500. 

 

 

OT, but on that huge mirror … the previous owners of our home left a huge, huge mirror here - it was in the rec room, near a pool table.  It’s enormous.  They told us about it (we met for champagne and dinner before closing, and got the scoop on the house), and I thought it was really cool how they made it.  It’s the enormous, sink to ceiling mirror that was over the master bathroom vanity (long, double sink)!  We’d never have known, because they were also replacing wood flooring, and framed it with extra wood flooring planks - the mirror fit right into the grooves in the flooring.  I don’t know if something like that is a DIY fix for you, but it looks like it was made to match the house, and was a good solution.  Not that everyone has extra flooring lying around, or wants to replace a vanity mirror, but still pretty neat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

An air fryer is on the list for my next "big" purchase.  The problem is there is so many choices and I can't decide if it's better to get a small basket style for those times when the oven is overkill for a 1-2 portions or a tray style for making bigger quantities for feeding the family.  I keep going back and forth and since I can't decide I buy nothing.  That's not all bad but I really do want to get one soon.

 

Other items on my wish list are more beds for my dog.  I feel so bad every time he sleeps on on the floor because he wants to be near me but his bed is in another room.  If I go get the bed he always immediately gets up and crawls in so I know he would appreciate having more options around the house.

 

I would also buy some kind of outdoor hammock, adult chair swing kind of thing.  My daughter loves to read under the tree and has been wanting such a thing for years but there is always so many other things that end up knocking it off the priority list.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Spryte said:

OT, but on that huge mirror … the previous owners of our home left a huge, huge mirror here - it was in the rec room, near a pool table.  It’s enormous.  They told us about it (we met for champagne and dinner before closing, and got the scoop on the house), and I thought it was really cool how they made it.  It’s the enormous, sink to ceiling mirror that was over the master bathroom vanity (long, double sink)!  We’d never have known, because they were also replacing wood flooring, and framed it with extra wood flooring planks - the mirror fit right into the grooves in the flooring.  I don’t know if something like that is a DIY fix for you, but it looks like it was made to match the house, and was a good solution.  Not that everyone has extra flooring lying around, or wants to replace a vanity mirror, but still pretty neat.

It is funny you mention this. Sometime this year, I would like to have my floors redone. When I have that done, I would also like to have all my trim work redone to match the flooring. I was thinking...in a perfect world...I would have the mirror framed to match the window. There is a tall, door sized window in one corner of this room. The idea I have, is to place a mirror at the same height, on the other wall in the corner, to create the illusion that there is a doorway there. I have plants in that corner now, so it will reflect the window and  plants. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, TCB said:

I just bought an OKP K2 robot vac for $112 on Amazon and I really like it! I’ve wanted one for a while but the price + not being too impressed with the performance of one in an AirBNB we visited, put me off. Decided it was worth the gamble for that price and I’m really enjoying it and things look so much nicer in the house with it doing it’s thing.

Oh man, they have the pet hair version for $130 right now, I am so so tempted. Do you have pets? 

9 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

An air fryer is on the list for my next "big" purchase.  The problem is there is so many choices and I can't decide if it's better to get a small basket style for those times when the oven is overkill for a 1-2 portions or a tray style for making bigger quantities for feeding the family.  I keep going back and forth and since I can't decide I buy nothing.  That's not all bad but I really do want to get one soon.

I highly recommend the Ninja Foodi 8-quart, with two separate baskets that can each have their own temperature and time if you wish, or they can match. They're fairly big devices by their nature, so space-wise you might as well get a larger capacity rather than smaller, it doesn't take much more space. With the dual baskets, you can simply just use one of them when that's all you need. 

Baskets > trays because you can just shake smaller items, no flipping required. Bigger items, like large pieces of chicken and such, I usually go ahead and flip. Fries, veggies, etc, get shaken, with great results. 

We cook all kinds of things in it: meatloaf, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts and other veg, all kinds of chicken, it's great for reheating, and we just discovered it does an astoundingly good job on New York strip. Oh, and canned biscuits and crescent rolls! 

It's fairly noisy, like running the stove vent on high, but it's faster than the stove or oven and certainly creates less heat. 

Make it happen

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may change my mind about the robot vac; the poster family has a combination of unreasonable happiness and slightly distorted features only found in those who have mind-melded with their soulless alien appliances. And what the heck are they holding?  

 

image.png

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, katilac said:

 

Oh man, they have the pet hair version for $130 right now, I am so so tempted. Do you have pets? 

 

No indoor pets, except 2 parakeets, and it’s good at picking up bird seeds lol. I do have long haired daughters and it copes well with that too, so the pet hair one is probably good.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TCB said:

No indoor pets, except 2 parakeets, and it’s good at picking up bird seeds lol. I do have long haired daughters and it copes well with that too, so the pet hair one is probably good.

Maybe it will pick up the sunflower seeds I am forever dropping 😄

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have any big things I'd like from them right now. 3 things are on my list of rewards for myself in the near future, but they're not from Amazon. I might save all or some of it until Giving Week (August) and then use it for donations for charities with wish lists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A steam rug cleaner.  I was all set to buy one a few weeks ago when our regular vacuum cleaner quit.  Then my Chromebook quit, then a headphone jack piece got stuck in my phone which meant a replacement and now the rug cleaner has fallen way down the list again.  My printer also appears to have bitten the dust today.  My older kids say they are going to hide all tech from me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...