Menu

Matt Walsh & AOC’s abuela’s GoFundMe...what would you have done?

pinball

AOC saw *first hand* that aid was still desperately needed in PR.  She was pointing that out using her eye witness account.  I don't see anything exploitive about that.

No one has ever said AOC isn't helping her grandmother.  My grandmother would have massive issues and tell no one.  We would have to see it.  "Gram! Why didn't you tell us!"

Besides there's a good chance that the whole neighborhood is in the same boat and repairs aren't readily available.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I remember that, too, but I think it was just one person. Did anyone agree with her? I didn’t think so, but I may be forgetting some of the details. 

I recall at least two people defending him (including one long, detailed defense)  in addition to the one urging us to go listen to him and several liking their posts. 

• Like 4

I think someone could be a jerk while people who follow him do actually care about AOC's granny, FWIW. I know nice people who follow him, but I can't explain how that works, sigh. If I were them, my brain would break with the mental gymnastics.

Whether individuals fix granny's home, or the government does, or it's done on both levels is a legit debate about the role of government that will be ongoing, but I don't think either side in this case is likely to do so in a way that isn't polarizing and positioning granny in the middle of a game. Even if I believe in a more robust social policy, I hope I would help my own grandmother out, when needed (mine actually qualifies for many services even in an area with fairly scarce resources). It's definitely a case of both/and with my grandmother--sometimes we provide the intangibles or labor to go with those services. Where I am from, people embrace both/and. Anyway, people of goodwill can disagree and still help, but MW is not my idea of goodwill, and I think AOC should've left granny out of it.

I think more attention needs to be brought to how the US handles issues in PR--I feel like my own knowledge is sketchy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

If that’s true (that grandma wasn’t asked), that’s just **really disrespectful** to grandma, like mean.  

Mean is his norm. 

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

I bet he claims to be a Christian, doesn’t he?  

Yup. Pretty sure Jesus has words to say about that, though. 

53 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I wonder how many people he personally has pushed away from Christ.   But, hey, He has xx number of followers, so it’s all good, right? 🤦🏻‍♀️

He certainly didn't help keep me Catholic. I can't blame him, but yeah..didn't help. 

48 minutes ago, Danae said:

Grandma should sue Matt Walsh for using her identity to raise money/garner publicity without her permission and use that money for the roof.

This is a FANTASTIC plan, lol. 

40 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

My first thought when I saw the thread title was "Really? Matt Walsh is still around?" Apparently he is, and worse than ever.

Bingo. And he didn't respond to what AOC actually said to clarify the situation. 

Yup, he's gotten way worse. I used to be able to read his stuff and find some good mixed up with the terrible. Bu after a while, it was just meaner and more awful with nothing redeeming left in it. 

25 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Agreed. He is a horse’s ass. Pardon the insult to horses. 

Yep. I think they are both being asses at her grandma’s expense, literally and figuratively. 

Also. I despise go fund me aka popularity publicity contests.  I’d have a lot more respect for that generosity if people put it in social policy changes so that grandmas and little kids and people with cancer or car wrecks wouldn’t need go fund me for medical care, food and housing needs.  

eta: I don’t despise the people who are reduced to using go fund me. I hope they get what they need. But I think it’s horrible that they are reduced to begging like that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world. 

Agree with this all. And the idea that say, who gets cancer treatment based on how photogenic they are or whatever sickens me. 

15 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

John MacArthur is an abusive cult leader.

Spiritual abuse is the hallmark of his authoritarian Grace Community Church and Master's College. Horrible stuff.

The more one learns the truth of his "church" the more shocking it is that he gets away with it.

Bill

Yup and Yup. Also, not on topic, but one of the Duggar Family son inlaws is "studying" at that seminary now. Mind you, GCC ordained him as a Pastor BEFORE he set foot in the seminary.....cause that makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Both sides should be ashamed of themselves for exploiting the situation with this older woman.
Can’t get much lower than using one’s own family member as a political pawn.

And the other side, call out the ugly, fine, but this classless fund raiser? SMH.

I'm not sure that relating first hand stories is exploitive. I mean, if she wants to talk about it in human terms she needs to talk about somone in particular. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, happi duck said:

My grandmother would have massive issues and tell no one.  We would have to see it.  "Gram! Why didn't you tell us!"

Besides there's a good chance that the whole neighborhood is in the same boat and repairs aren't readily available.

Good points. Even if/when aid is available, the labor, time, and materials can definitely lag! Logistically, it takes time to get things done, and there are times when bringing in outside help could decimate local economies. I am pretty sure I watched a documentary that talked about how some good businesses in Haiti were wiped out in the aftermath of the big earthquake when outside aid groups brought in their own supplies rather than working with locals to help them get supplies and keep their businesses running. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Frances said:

I recall at least two people defending him (including one long, detailed defense)  in addition to the one urging us to go listen to him and several liking their posts. 

Wow.  I do remember the original person who posted about how wonderful he was, because I had never heard of the guy and when I looked him up, I was incredibly disgusted that anyone here would have admired him. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I think if this is what TWTM has devolved too, I am right in my assessment it’s about time for me to go...

As a right wing nut job who has no love for Matt Walsh. Stay classy folks. 

You know she was only joking, right?  

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Those people weren't trying to help. It was just sh#tposting. 

Regarding fundraising, this right-wing, COVID denying priest has raised more than $300K so far. There are children sleeping on the streets but "own the libs, take my credit card!" 

Updated: Altman blames 'pansy babies' for dispute with bishop, raises $160K

I wish people like this would not identify themselves as pro-life. 😞 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pinball said:

Yep.

id sleep with Matt Walsh if it got my grandma a new roof.

What a ghastly thing to say! 
Holy hell, that’s practically saying you would be fine as a prostitute so long as the money is really needed. 
Even as hyperbole...no

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Frances said:

I learned things about MacArthur here that I didn't know before. Keep in mind that in a conversation, minds may be changed! Or we can hope. 🙂 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I think if this is what TWTM has devolved too, I am right in my assessment it’s about time for me to go...

As a right wing nut job who has no love for Matt Walsh. Stay classy folks. 

Please reconsider. I really appreciate your wisdom here, and also want to keep up with how you're doing. I'm sure many others feel the same.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

More from Matt Walsh...

Okay. Don't crucify me, but continued molestation after abortion actually is a problem. As one example, a local abortionist got into trouble for not reporting underage abortions as required by law. Under a certain age, it's proof that rape has occurred. He even stated himself that he deliberately did not report the rape of a 10-year-old to police. This is the same guy who hid over 2,000 dead human beings in his garage and liked to say profane things to elderly ladies and try to hit people with his car. I witnessed the last two things first hand. [ETA: Forgot that he also threatened to murder a couple tree-trimmers hired by the city who dared come on his property. Yes, seriously. I was there.]

I don't know how widespread a problem it is. I do know it happens.

This is not in any way, shape, or form an endorsement of Matt Walsh. He gives pro-lifers a bad name.

***Please don't quote due to personal identifying info.***

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Okay. Don't crucify me, but continued molestation after abortion actually is a problem.

I’m sure it is.  I’m also sure that a man raping his 10 year old daughter who takes her to a sleazy abortion doctor who doesn’t report an underage pregnancy could also find a sleazy delivery doctor who wouldn’t report an underage pregnancy.  The idea that outlawing abortion is going to lead to the rescue of that 10 year old is wishful thinking.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Danae said:

I’m sure it is.  I’m also sure that a man raping his 10 year old daughter who takes her to a sleazy abortion doctor who doesn’t report an underage pregnancy could also find a sleazy delivery doctor who wouldn’t report an underage pregnancy.  The idea that outlawing abortion is going to lead to the rescue of that 10 year old is wishful thinking.

Oh, sure. Plenty of sleazy abortionists to go around; two out of three clinics at which I've protested had physicians with subpar records and/or other problems. (I didn't look into the third one.) And before someone jumps on me, I'm quite aware my sample size is small. 😉 

That said, plenty of professing pro-lifers are looking pretty sleazy themselves right now. It's an extremely sorry state of affairs.

I do think abortion should be outlawed, but not for the reason you mentioned.

• Like 1

I know of one situation where abortion was used as a cover for abuse.  While the person could certainly have used a sleazy doctor for pregnancy it would have been very difficult to hide the pregnancy from the community where the abuser was well respected.  Not that I think all ten year olds should be forced to carry a pregnancy that might kill them.  Just that abortion can also be a tool used in coercion and abuse.

Fixing it for just one person doesn't address the larger systemic issue. I don't really know the details of whose "fault" the larger systemic issue is (seeing as this seems to be a partisan spat), but by saying "your family should just take care of you" is just deflecting from government ineptitude and/or corruption, and does nothing to actually solve what's really the problem.

So no, I wouldn't accept the money, or if I did it would immediately be donated to a different charity/organization that could help the entire neighborhood/community. At that level of helplessness/disaster/poverty, every man for himself doesn't go very far; we're all in it together.

Money can't fix everything.

It seems a lot of times to break it more.

• Like 6

The only point that matters in this sordid mess is that the grandmother turned it down. She didn't want the money. Who cares why not? It's her right to turn it down, and just because someone doesn't like AOC doesn't suddenly render her grandmother deficient in making her own decisions. J*C.

As for abortion, I'm curious why no one seems to be thinking of what the 12-yo might need/want in that situation. Why does she not matter? The only comments are on what the adults around her will do / not do. I find it hysterical that people actually think a father raping his own daughter would actually *not* take her for an illegal abortion...will he suddenly develop a conscience? Will it actually not occur to him that a 12-yo giving birth would raise questions he might not want to answer?

And outlawing abortion will no more stop it than outlawing drugs has stopped drugs or outlawing alcohol stopped alcohol.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There's no way I'd take that money. I'd say that if he really cared about the plight of people in PR, he should donate it to one of many charities doing work there to continue the long rebuilding efforts. And that he could even choose a Christian or Catholic charity if he so chose.

I can't tell if reading through this mess of a thread whether or not it was clarified at any point that AOC shared the photos to show the state of the grandmother's home that she is still waiting to get fixed because of numerous delays, not the state of the conditions she's actually residing in. Good grief.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

In the past few years I've lost any sympathy I had for people who are so easily conned (or scammed or whatever you want to call it) out of their money.

Fair point.

You know, I was going to agree with you 100% but once I started typing, I started thinking about how easy it is to emotionally manipulate people - especially people who are possibly not well educated or familiar with manipulation or erroneously place trust in a leader who is supposed to be trustworthy  - and maybe I’m reserving a tiny bit of sympathy for some of them. 

• Like 6

I wonder if AOC consulted grandma before using her for a political pawn? 

It's been since 2017 that grandma's roof has been leaking and AOC nor family has found the time or money to fix the roof. And now it's the government's failing of grandma?

I don't know Matt Walsh, but I would have taken the money if it would get the repairs needed. After this amount of time with a leaking roof grandma will likely need more than just a new roof.

I like the idea of donating the money to relief efforts in PR.

And to you, Pinball, I hope your grandma appreciates the depth of your devotion and commitment to her 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you were entitled to an insurance or government benefit worth a lot of money and had a safe place to live outside your home and believed that the money would come through even if there were some delays, would you spend tens of thousands or even more in order to get it done faster? Because I feel like that's what's being alleged here - that the grandmother should have done that with her granddaughter's money and left the money she was entitled to get on the table. I'm sure she did not anticipate it would take this long. When you're in the midst of dealing with a bureaucratic situation, you often think it's going to happen a lot sooner. Which would be reasonable. And once you've lost the time, you think, surely it's going to be soon now.

• Like 11

I'll add also - if I was the victim of a disaster and not getting the aid that I was entitled to get, then I would absolutely not feel like I was the one being somehow manipulated if a close relative with a huge platform and lots of connections agreed to share my story in order to bring attention to my and my community's plight. I'd be grateful. And if someone tried to twist that into saying that my relative was the one victimizing me, rather than the system that kept me waiting for aid, I'd be pretty ticked.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Is all of PR in bad condition still?   I thought repairs had been made.  

According to my former housemate's relatives in PR, it's still in bad condition.  Some repairs have been made, but it was something of a drop in a bucket.  

• Sad 8

16 minutes ago, pinball said:

All right...who got offended by the wh0r!ng?

im sorry!

next time I will use “fancy lady”

Offended .... not so much as deeply saddened by how casually people half-joke about sex trafficking as though it’s not a huge ugly nasty evil market based on the debasing in every way of our fellow humans.

But calling it something else wouldn’t change that and I’m tough enough to handle it.  And given how many people don’t make it on Go Fund Me, I suspect there’s plenty of people literally making that decision.  And my being offended by that fact won’t make it any better for anyone. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Offended .... not so much as deeply saddened by how casually people half-joke about sex trafficking as though it’s not a huge ugly nasty evil market based on the debasing in every way of our fellow humans.

But calling it something else wouldn’t change that and I’m tough enough to handle it.  And given how many people don’t make it on Go Fund Me, I suspect there’s plenty of people literally making that decision.  And my being offended by that fact won’t make it any better for anyone. 

If I say I’d sl@@p with someone if it was the only way for me get XYZ, it’s not s#x trafficking.

Unfortunately, it’s true that women have s#x for money bc they need the money. There is no reason to shame them.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I assume this would fall under FEMA and from what I know of FEMA (from someone I know that has worked for FEMA) AOC/family could have had this fixed back in 2017. FEMA will reimburse for what work done with receipts proving the work was done.

• Like 2

Just now, pinball said:

If I say I’d sl@@p with someone if it was the only way for me get XYZ, it’s not s#x trafficking.

Unfortunately, it’s true that women have s#x for money bc they need the money. There is no reason to shame them.

It’s all types of sex trafficking. That’s exactly what sex trafficking is. Taking someone in a bad situation and making them trade sex to get their needs met. Just because the person “agrees” to it doesn’t make it not sex trafficking.  It’s not much of an “agreement” to say for example to a person that need insulin that they agreed to have sex to get money to buy it.  There’s some things we legally cannot agree to bc the laws reflect that some things shouldn’t be sold. For example, I cannot sell myself into slavery or indentured servitude anymore.   Because we recognize that only desperate people or mentally ill people who should not be taken advantage of would agree to such a thing.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

It’s all types of sex trafficking. That’s exactly what sex trafficking is. Taking someone in a bad situation and making them trade sex to get their needs met. Just because the person “agrees” to it doesn’t make it not sex trafficking.  It’s not much of an “agreement” to say for example to a person that need insulin that they agreed to have sex to get money to buy it.  There’s some things we legally cannot agree to bc the laws reflect that some things shouldn’t be sold. For example, I cannot sell myself into slavery or indentured servitude anymore.   Because we recognize that only desperate people or mentally ill people who should not be taken advantage of would agree to such a thing.  

I’m not going to argue with you about the definition of sex trafficking so carry on without me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fritz said:

I assume this would fall under FEMA and from what I know of FEMA (from someone I know that has worked for FEMA) AOC/family could have had this fixed back in 2017. FEMA will reimburse for what work done with receipts proving the work was done.

Ok, I am officially an idiot.

I read your post and the first thing I thought of was, “Wait — s*x trafficking falls under FEMA now?” 

I blame you for staying on the actual topic of the thread!!! 😉 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

It's amazing how many people make political decisions based on flawed assumptions. 

FEMA works perfectly and AOC is a terrible for exploiting her grandmother. <eyeroll>

Thankfully I've never had to rely upon FEMA but I've heard plenty of nightmare stories. 

They lost homes in Hurricane Maria, but didn't have deeds. FEMA rejected their claims.

These are American citizens (yes, I know the wrong kind of American citizens) and they deserved better. But AOC is just grandstanding. She lives rent free in the heads of many conservatives. 

If you actually care the truth and not just political grandstanding, read this articles. 

In the Eye of an Organizational Storm; Emergency Mismanagement by FEMA and the Puerto Rican Government during Hurricane Maria

The continuing disaster aid crisis in Puerto Rico, explained.

Correct me if I'm wrong but AOC posted about G'ma waiting since 2017 for repairs. This man started an GFM account to pay for said repairs. AOC had the option to make those repairs rather than wait for FEMA to get to them should she choose to do so. Clearly she chose not to make those repairs. I never said FEMA was perfect, in fact my point was she could have made those repairs herself, submit those receipts to FEMA for reimbursement rather than wait for FEMA. Perhaps the reimbursement would have taken some time, idk, but at least G'ma would not have a leaky roof and the further damage that has likely been done by now. 

I do wonder if you would be so charitable in your giving family member a pass on this if the tables were turned and it was this Matt fellow posting about his grandma and AOC starting the GFM page?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fritz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but AOC posted about G'ma waiting since 2017 for repairs. This man started an GFM account to pay for said repairs. AOC had the option to make those repairs rather than wait for FEMA to get to them should she choose to do so. Clearly she chose not to make those repairs. I never said FEMA was perfect, in fact my point was she could have made those repairs herself, submit those receipts to FEMA for reimbursement rather than wait for FEMA. Perhaps the reimbursement would have taken some time, idk, but at least G'ma would not have a leaky roof and the further damage that has likely been done by now. 

I do wonder if you would be so charitable in your giving family member a pass on this if the tables were turned and it was this Matt fellow posting about his grandma and AOC starting the GFM page?

While I'm not the person you quoted, 

The man didn't start the account to pay for the repairs as much as to shame a political opponent; I do not believe his intentions were pure. the money for repairs was a byproduct of a political stunt.

We don't know if AOC had the option to make the repairs. However, AOC affirmed that the family did take care of the needs of their grandmother in other ways. Any extra damage done because of the length of time is not on them, that is shifting blame. 

I have no idea if FEMA would approve of said receipts, or say it cost too much, reject it for not being a whatever vendor, etc. Maybe they would, even after a long time, but I wouldn't make the assumption it would just "work out eventually".

Again, your assertion of what AOC/family could have done or should have done does not excuse the government ineptitude/neglect/corruption that has led to this situation in the first place.  THAT was what AOC was addressing. Even if AOC fixed her grandmother's house, this would STILL be an issue.

I couldn't care less if AOC or Walsh or the tooth fairy started the GFM or didn/n't make repairs to a family home, or if the "tables were turned." My reactions would be the same and the fact you think that someone's reactions must be based on their political bias is telling in itself. I'm a conservative without a home since 2015/2016, I don't ned to carry water for any of these people. Or I was what was known as a conservative, anyway, IDK if I generally want to be labeled that anymore, even though most of my views haven't changed all that much.

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, Fritz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but AOC posted about G'ma waiting since 2017 for repairs. This man started an GFM account to pay for said repairs. AOC had the option to make those repairs rather than wait for FEMA to get to them should she choose to do so. Clearly she chose not to make those repairs. I never said FEMA was perfect, in fact my point was she could have made those repairs herself, submit those receipts to FEMA for reimbursement rather than wait for FEMA. I do wonder if you would be so charitable in your giving family member a pass on this if the tables were turned and it was this Matt fellow posting about his grandma and AOC starting the GFM page?

Even if AOC can make the repairs for her grandma, how about the many other families who don’t have an AOC to make the case for them? Do you think if the hurricane happened in a ‘ fancier’ part of the USA, they would still be without repairs 3 or more years out? That is the issue that needs to be addressed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Lilaclady said:

Even if AOC can make the repairs for her grandma, how about the many other families who don’t have an AOC to make the case for them? Do you think if the hurricane happened in a ‘ fancier’ part of the USA, they would still be without repairs 3 or more years out? That is the issue that needs to be addressed.

And I agree with you. My point is AOC did not have to wait for FEMA to make those repairs. Others not as fortunate as her did not have that option.

9 minutes ago, Fritz said:

And I agree with you. My point is AOC did not have to wait for FEMA to make those repairs. Others not as fortunate as her did not have that option.

This is NOT AOC's house!     She doesn't get to walk in and start doing something to GRANDMA'S house!    

• Like 5

On 6/5/2021 at 1:17 PM, Ordinary Shoes said:

Those people weren't trying to help. It was just sh#tposting. 

Regarding fundraising, this right-wing, COVID denying priest has raised more than $300K so far. There are children sleeping on the streets but "own the libs, take my credit card!" 

Updated: Altman blames 'pansy babies' for dispute with bishop, raises $160K

I just realized this guy is a priest very close to where I grew up and where much of my family now lives. Thank goodness they are trying to remove him. It’s absolutely sickening that any Catholic would look to him as some sort of hero, especially given his views on lynchings. And wow, what an ego! You would think that kind of an ego on a parish priest would be a huge red flag to any Catholic. But I guess if he’s saying out loud the vile lies you’ve been thinking for a long time, then you’re going to rally to support and defend him. And I just love how he thinks he is the arbiter of who is a “good” Catholic. Wow, just wow. Once again, it looks like someone didn’t follow their true calling as a politician and is instead trying hide behind a veneer of religion.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lilaclady said:

FWIW, we had a big earthquake here 2 1/2-ish years ago. I still have repairs waiting to be made and the only aid we were offered was $500 and a loan, which was pretty typical. We have to arrange our own repairs, and there are only so much availability. Covid slowed things down for us here as far as getting work done too. There are people here who lost their houses altogether because they could not get funds to repair homes that were made unsafe for occupation. Supposedly the State was supposed to distribute funds, but that never happened. Most of us are fine. In our case, at this point I just need to get someone to show up and do the work 🙂 But my observation of FEMA at work did not leave me impressed. I feel certain that the overhead costs involved with FEMA’s work is likely significantly higher than the funds/practical help offered by the agency. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

We don't know if AOC had the option to make the repairs. However, AOC affirmed that the family did take care of the needs of their grandmother in other ways. Any extra damage done because of the length of time is not on them, that is shifting blame. 

I

AOC makes approximately $174k/year. I would think if she really wanted G'ma back in her home she could have scraped together the cash over the last 4 years to make the needed repairs. No blame shifting at all just pointing out the obvious that leaky roofs fixed early require less repair than leaky roofs left unrepaired. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Hey now, you know how this is supposed to go. 

AOC wrote something that is uncomfortable. 

Gotcha! She should have made the repairs herself. FEMA is so easy to work with! Why is she politicizing her grandmother? 

Matt Walsh, out of the goodness of his Christian heart, wanted to help the poor grandmother who was politicized by evil, crazy, "socialist" AOC. 

Rinse, lather, repeat. 

Gotcha! Gotcha! Gotcha!

Let's NEVER have a serious discussion about the relationship between Puerto Rico and the United States. What's that you say about how Puerto Ricans are more likely to serve the USA in the military despite lacking representation in Congress? 

No look at that! AOC did something! Gotcha! Gotcha! Gotcha! 

I think it's more that somebody said something uncomfortable about AOC1

Edited by Fritz

1 hour ago, Fritz said:

AOC makes approximately $174k/year. I would think if she really wanted G'ma back in her home she could have scraped together the cash over the last 4 years to make the needed repairs. No blame shifting at all just pointing out the obvious that leaky roofs fixed early require less repair than leaky roofs left unrepaired. 

So, if you were entitled to an insurance or FEMA repair costing tens of thousands of dollars or more and you believed it was truly on its way, you'd feel comfortable leaving that money on the table and taking it from your grandchild? Because there's no way in hell my grandmother would have done that. She was pretty docile about a lot of things, but taking money from her grandchildren would have been a hard no for her and I suspect that's true of a lot of that older generation.

If I had to maintain my household here and have a household in NYC and had to have security on both, that salary would barely cover it. Since she's single and not a family of four like I have, I'm sure she's doing okay, but that's not an especially impressive amount to me in terms of disposable income. Like, I'm sure she could have figured it out if grandma had wanted the money in the first place. But this isn't a situation to me like if Jeff Bezos's grandmother was waiting for repairs. Because he clearly has so much disposable income that it would be obscene. This is not anywhere near that scale.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Fritz said:

45 minutes ago, Fritz said:

Hmm. Not to get too into the weeds here, but:

1. "Jut pointing out the obvious that leaky roofs fixed early require less repair than leaky roofs left unrepaired." <-- agree, not blame shifting. But that's not really all you said, so the "just pointing out" is not entirely accurate.

2. "If she really wanted G'ma back in her home she could have scraped together the cash" <--- uh oh, getting a little close to blame shifting with that "she could have". Some people would say square in Blame Shift Territorial Bounds, but I think there's wiggle room on interpretation.

3. "AOC had the option to make those repairs... at least G'ma would not have a leaky roof and the further damage that has likely been done by now." <-- Now, this IS blame shifting because you are putting the onus for the repairs on a party not responsible for it, then saying their not doing the thing [that they are not required to do] caused more damage. [And you could fill in the ... I made with the rest of your post, I did it for brevity, but the point will still stand.]

And again, you are focusing on the AOC's role in her Grandma's housing issue, when it is her not responsibility to fix, not her PLACE to fix since it isn't her house, and she may not have permission to fix. Also assumptions of how much it will cost to fix, other issues that may be blocking her/the family from being able to take action themselves, and again, ignoring that it is Not Her Responsibility. Also, you are downplaying the damage to just "a leaky roof" when we don't know the actual extent of damage (or maybe you guys do, but I don't) in an effort to make it seem like it would be easily done if they "really wanted to". This is, I regretfully inform you, blame shifting. Instead of focusing on the fact that others who ARE responsible for fixing it "the last 4 years to make the needed repairs" as you so rightly said, and still have not.

So, I have to ask if you think FEMA has done the best possible job here, and that's why you don't want to address that? Do you think that the government action (or inaction) in this case is justifiable? Or if not the best possible, at least understandable, or adequate?

I think, if you want to absolve the government of any blame here, the better take would be "It's really HARD to make these repairs to so many houses in only 4 years with the amount and type of damage done". But that would mean that individual citizens would be running into the same problems, without the backing, funds, coordination, experience, ability to whole-scale changes, and gravitas of The United States Government Department of FEMA to swing around and get things done faster. 

Again: AOC's particular Grandma's house is not the issue, it's a red herring. Her point was about the government's role and job so far in handling the disaster relief and repair efforts.

• Like 5

My quoting is screwy... I tried.  

I don't actually care for AOC (number 10,000 of my unpopular posts today).   I wouldn't care if the roles were reversed and this was AOC raising money for Matt W's grandma's house.  It wouldn't matter.   What I find so flipping disturbing about this thread is that some people have just pushed grandma into a corner and have ignored the fact that she's a freaking adult who gets to decide what she wants.  My grandmas would never take money from me.   And can you imagine what it would be like for the other family members if grandma took her granddaughter's money (or Matt w's money, if we're switching things around)?    Do you understand what that would be like for family dynamics?   AOC has no right whatsoever to walk into her Grandmas house and do jack crap to it.   The issue is that our govt that owns PR has done a shit job and someone was trying to bring attention to it.  I'm glad she did because I didn't realize PR was still having problems.   In that sense, I'm glad Matt W is a jerk, because what he did was highlight a huge issue with the US and their relationship with PR.   

Edited by WildflowerMom
  • Like 7