Menu

Matt Walsh & AOC’s abuela’s GoFundMe...what would you have done?

pinball

If you had the chance to get this money for a loved one for much needed repairs, would you have taken it, despite the fact you didn’t agree with the politics of the person who started the fundraiser?

https://nypost.com/2021/06/04/conservative-host-raises-more-than-50k-for-aocs-grandma/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app&utm_source=reddit.com

I don’t think the article has been updated to reflect that go fund me said someone from the family refused the donations so the go fund me was closed and all money would be returned to donors.

• Like 1

I just realized I didn’t answer your actual question.

Oops! 😊

If I had a loved one who really needed that money, and there were no strings attached, I would tell them to graciously accept it. 

Pride doesn’t pay the bills.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 16

8 minutes ago, pinball said:

If you had the chance to get this money for a loved one for much needed repairs, would you have taken it, despite the fact you didn’t agree with the politics of the person who started the fundraiser?

https://nypost.com/2021/06/04/conservative-host-raises-more-than-50k-for-aocs-grandma/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app&utm_source=reddit.com

I don’t think the article has been updated to reflect that go fund me said someone from the family refused the donations so the go fund me was closed and all money would be returned to donors.

I’m guessing that if some family member wanted others to donate to a Go Fund Me Account for the grandma, they would have set it up themselves and still could do so. It all sounds like one big publicity stunt by the host and in general, I don’t think such things should be rewarded by participation, regardless of whether or not I agree with someone’s politics.

But I do agree with Catwoman that the grandma should have the final say. Although if she wasn’t consulted before it was set up, I think that is disrespectful. 

Edited by Frances
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Frances said:

I’m guessing that if some family member wanted others to donate to a Go Fund Me Account for the grandma, they would have set it up themselves and still could do so. It all sounds like one big publicity stunt by the host and in general, I don’t think such things should be rewarded by participation, regardless of whether or not I agree with someone’s politics.

I’m sure you are right, but I think it depends on how badly Grandma needs the money, and whether or not her family members are stepping up to help her so she doesn’t have to accept help from strangers with questionable motivation.

• Like 1

Just now, WildflowerMom said:

Grandma gets to decide.   And I really hope no one did this fundraiser without grandma’s ok.   

It sounds like that’s exactly what happened.

It appears that the  guy started the campaign to make AOC look like a terrible granddaughter.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I’m sure you are right, but I think it depends on how badly Grandma needs the money, and whether or not her family members are stepping up to help her so she doesn’t have to accept help from strangers with questionable motivation.

I would really like to know whether or not grandma was consulted before the account was created. It’s one thing to start a general account for hurricane victims, but quite another to start one for a specific person without their consent. I’ve never heard of the guy before, but he sure sounds like a real winner. Not.

Edited by Frances

Just now, Catwoman said:

It sounds like that’s exactly what happened.

It appears that the  guy started the campaign to make AOC look like a terrible granddaughter.

If that’s true (that grandma wasn’t asked), that’s just **really disrespectful** to grandma, like mean.  

• Like 11

Just now, Frances said:

I would really like to know whether or not grandma was consulted before the account was created. It’s one thing to start a general account for hurricane victims, but quite another to start one for a specific person without their consent.

I’m sure she wasn’t consulted. 

It is a bizarre situation!

Just now, Pawz4me said:

Never heard of him/know nothing about him, but -- solely based on that article it certainly appears that jerk is an accurate description.

I agree!

If he had at least made it seem like he genuinely wanted to help the lady, it would have been different!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, pinball said:

I’m curious about your take on the situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pinball said:

I’d take the money if it was the only way I could help my loved one.

So you would take it on her behalf even if she was not asked and did not consent to have the account set up and according to one poster, turned down the money herself?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Frances said:

So you would take it on her behalf even if she was not asked and did not consent to have the account set up and according to one poster, turned down the money herself?

Yep.

id sleep with Matt Walsh if it got my grandma a new roof.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, pinball said:

I’d take the money if it was the only way I could help my loved one.

That’s pretty much my take on it, too. 

If my grandma was desperate for money and her house wasn’t safe for her to live in, and I wasn’t able to find any other way to help her, I’d tell her to take the money.

Also, some of the contributors may have genuinely felt sorry for the lady and wanted to help her.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ailaena said:

Yeah, but it’s not this guy’s money, it’s other people who maybe think they’re helping.   

In the past few years I've lost any sympathy I had for people who are so easily conned (or scammed or whatever you want to call it) out of their money.

• Like 2

Just now, pinball said:

Yep.

id sleep with Matt Walsh if it got my grandma a new roof.

Why wouldn’t you just set up a Go Fund Me account yourself if she consented? Now that the jerk has gotten the publicity he desired, I’m sure many people would be interested in truly helping her and others in a similar situation. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

Yeah, but it’s not this guy’s money, it’s other people who maybe think they’re helping.   

Oh, I agree with you. And if she really needs the home repairs, then the people really would be helping her.

I was only kidding about Grandma donating the money to AOC’s campaign!

3 hours ago, Frances said:

Why wouldn’t you just set up a Go Fund Me account yourself if she consented? Now that the jerk has gotten the publicity he desired, I’m sure many people would be interested in truly helping her and others in a similar situation. 

Because I’m more comfortable with            than asking for straight donations.

Edited by desertflower
Crass language
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

Just now, Ordinary Shoes said:

Those people weren't trying to help. It was just sh#tposting. 

Regarding fundraising, this right-wing, COVID denying priest has raised more than $300K so far. There are children sleeping on the streets but "own the libs, take my credit card!" 

Updated: Altman blames 'pansy babies' for dispute with bishop, raises $160K

Such wonderful, godly people they are with their hearts in the right place. Such beautiful examples of Christ’s love. Oh how I love the beautiful intertwining of politics and religion in this country. We should all be so proud.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Shouldn't the question be, "Would you take the money to repair your house if you were AOC's grandmother?" GoFundMe would only give it to Grandma, right, or did I miss something?

It seems to me that both MW and AOC are using Gramma's house in their attempt to shame the other side.  I feel sorry for Gramma.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Matt Walsh is such a jerk. 

My first thought when I saw the thread title was "Really? Matt Walsh is still around?" Apparently he is, and worse than ever.

25 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Bingo. And he didn't respond to what AOC actually said to clarify the situation. 

• Like 2

Just now, Catwoman said:

That might be all the more reason to take their money.

I laugh, but such people are doing real, serious harm in this country, all the while declaring themselves the moral, Christian true patriots. It’s sickening and the sooner it ends the better for all of us and the US. And whether they realize it or not, also the better for Christianity.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PeppermintPattie said:

It seems to me that both MW and AOC are using Gramma's house in their attempt to shame the other side.  I feel sorry for Gramma.

Agreed. I think it was a huge blunder on AOC's part to tweet about her grandmother in a political way. 

• Like 18

1 minute ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Yeah, I know. I'm sure you felt the love of Christ in his words. 

I just can't get over how shallow all of this is. This is what the great 2K year old tradition of Christianity has come down to? Sh#tposting, owning the libs? "Pansy babies," how deep you are, Father. Matt Walsh reading the Bible and the Fathers and praying...oh wait...got to post something on Twitter to own the libs and trigger the "pansy babies." 

This priest gave an interview and said [paraphrasing] that women can't be priests because we talk too much and ask, "does this dress make me look fat?" SMH...

It reminds me of when some on this board were singing the praises of John McArthur and defending his stance on defying pandemic restrictions at his church. They urged us to go and actually listen to his words, so I did. I walked away shocked that any Christian would hold him up as an example of Christian leadership and godliness. What I heard sounded most like a politician trying to rally support by dividing people, instilling fear and anger, and scapegoating others (primarily gays in his case, although what that has to do with the pandemic I still haven’t figured out). It was like nothing I ever heard in any of the 25 years I attended church. But very much like what I’ve heard when listening to speeches of terrible political leaders throughout history.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PeppermintPattie said:

Shouldn't the question be, "Would you take the money to repair your house if you were AOC's grandmother?" GoFundMe would only give it to Grandma, right, or did I miss something?

I am not clear if Abuela actually refused the money bc did not see that specifically.

i only saw that go fund me said a family member did.

perhaps more has been released, but I haven’t seen it.

Hopefully, some nice people not associated with AOC (so she doesn’t get in any trouble for somehow unduly influencing people/using her power as a member of Congress) will fix the house so it is nice and livable again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Frances said:

It reminds me of when some on this board were singing the praises of John McArthur and defending his stance on defying pandemic restrictions at his church. They urged us to go and actually listen to his words, so I did. I walked away shocked that any Christian would hold him up as an example of Christian leadership and godliness. What I heard sounded most like a politician trying to rally support by dividing people, instilling fear and anger, and scapegoating others (primarily gays in his case, although what that has to do with the pandemic I still haven’t figured out). It was like nothing I ever heard in any of the 25 years I attended church. But very much like what I’ve heard when listening to speeches of terrible political leaders throughout history.

I remember that, too, but I think it was just one person. Did anyone agree with her? I didn’t think so, but I may be forgetting some of the details. 

43 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Matt Walsh is such a jerk. 

Agreed. He is a horse’s ass. Pardon the insult to horses. 

16 minutes ago, PeppermintPattie said:

Yep. I think they are both being asses at her grandma’s expense, literally and figuratively. 

Also. I despise go fund me aka popularity publicity contests.  I’d have a lot more respect for that generosity if people put it in social policy changes so that grandmas and little kids and people with cancer or car wrecks wouldn’t need go fund me for medical care, food and housing needs.  

eta: I don’t despise the people who are reduced to using go fund me. I hope they get what they need. But I think it’s horrible that they are reduced to begging like that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, pinball said:

Because I’m more comfortable with whoring than asking for straight donations.

I think if this is what TWTM has devolved too, I am right in my assessment it’s about time for me to go...

As a right wing nut job who has no love for Matt Walsh. Stay classy folks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I despise MW and AOC, and think that both are using Grandma as a political pawn.  AOC and grandma's other kids and grandkids should be helping her out, not exploiting her.  And its not the governments job to take care of every single thing!  She's your grandma!  Do it yourself!  From experience,  sometimes elderly don't want things fixed, not bc they can't afford it, but maybe they get anxious about others in the house, decisions and changes, mental health challenges that just aren't worth upsetting grandma over etc.  They don't want house cleaners,  health workers or others in the house.  I cannot imagine broadcasting that nation-wide.  Honestly this is my gut feel for the situation- but that may be colored due to my own family things going on.  AOC should be ashamed of herself, and her family should call her out for using Grandma.  

Edited by BusyMom5
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Frances said:

John MacArthur is an abusive cult leader.

Spiritual abuse is the hallmark of his authoritarian Grace Community Church and Master's College. Horrible stuff.

The more one learns the truth of his "church" the more shocking it is that he gets away with it.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Spy Car said:

John MacArthur is an abusive cult leader.

Spiritual abuse is the hallmark of his authoritarian Grace Community Church and Master College. Horrible stuff.

The more one learns the truth of his "church" the more shocking it is that he gets away with it.

Bill

It continually amazes that people seem to learn nothing from history about the dangers of giving power and leadership roles, whether religious or political, to fundamentally unfit, bad people with enormous egos whose primary tactic is scapegoating.

• Like 10