Menu

Matt Walsh & AOC’s abuela’s GoFundMe...what would you have done?

pinball

I've been at the hospital literally hours per day for the past week with my mother*, so forgive me for skimming, but even based just on what's in this thread....

1. Matt Walsh is awful, he is not motivated here by any sense of compassion or pity, only by a desire to be a jerkass. Why should anybody help him with that?

2. I don't know how badly damaged this house is, but I can tell you right now that we had our roof replaced this summer - replaced, not repaired, I know that makes a difference - and the cost came to easily $35k. A little more, but we also had the porch done. Even at a fairly high income, that's not chump change.

2a. If I have a pothole in front of my house, and the government delays and delays and delays on its obligation to repair it, nobody tells me that I should've fixed it myself. And that's what's going on here - the USA government has an obligation to do the things it said it would do, and that includes FEMA repairs in a timely fashion.

2b. Anyway, Puerto Rico can rightly be considered occupied territory, so, the government has an even bigger obligation to do what it promises.

* She's not on her deathbed or anything like that, she just really, really, really hates being alone at the hospital and I have the free time to go visit with her.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm just sitting here wondering what sort of frail, shrinking violet grandmothers everyone has that they can swoop in and manage her affairs how you think they should be managed.  I cannot relate.

Well in the end it appears one of two things happened:

1. Grandma swallowed this pride so many of you are sure of and accepted somebodies money for the repairs.

2. Or perhaps AOC's political influence moved Grandma to the front on the line with FEMA.

On 6/6/2021 at 6:46 PM, Fritz said:

AOC makes approximately $174k/year. I would think if she really wanted G'ma back in her home she could have scraped together the cash over the last 4 years to make the needed repairs. No blame shifting at all just pointing out the obvious that leaky roofs fixed early require less repair than leaky roofs left unrepaired. 

Does money really make resources materialize? Like, there are only so many workers and materials to go around, and it's not like her grandmother's situation is an isolated incident. And if AOC used her wealth to jump the line you'd sit back and be like, cool, she loves her grandmother? No, you'd call her a hypocrite.

Admit it, in your mind AOC can do nothing right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

44 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

Does money really make resources materialize? Like, there are only so many workers and materials to go around, and it's not like her grandmother's situation is an isolated incident. And if AOC used her wealth to jump the line you'd sit back and be like, cool, she loves her grandmother? No, you'd call her a hypocrite.

Admit it, in your mind AOC can do nothing right.

It's been 4 years! I'd hardly call it jumping the line if AOC found the money and resources in that time to fix the roof etc..

If (as the original question was) this had been me and my grandma, I would have paid to get the repairs done as soon as possible if I could afford them. I would have wanted the damage to be as limited as possible, fix the roof asap to avoid the potential for the development of mold/ mildew , rot etc... And I would not blame AOC or anyone else for doing what they could for their family member in need. If the money was not there and this fellow offered to raise money for the repairs, I would have happily accepted the money, made the repairs, and used the leftover money to help others make their repairs as well. But that's just me.

As I said before I believe this is more of a someone said something uncomfortable about AOC issue on this board,

Edited by Fritz