Menu

British Literature

I had an excellent British Lit class in high school that I'd like to use as a basis for my older son's literature next year. I can probably find most of the poems, plays, etc., but part of the fun of the course was reading about the history that went with the literature. It was far lighter than a history course, but more interesting than most anthologies. I have no idea how to get this kind of history run down, and I don't know what anthology we used in high school. 

Any ideas for a good supplement? 

• Like 1

A friend of mine was teaching a brit lit class and I found this brief overview of the history and she thought it was helpful. It's not really a supplement, but a sort of discussion of literature over time.

The link was taken down. I am going to PM you the file.

Edited by cintinative
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure to what degree it is covered, but you could check out the This Literary Life podcast with Angelina Stanford. She spends a good amount of time covering the context and literary forms of the time period in her live classes. It's possible she has also done that for some works they have covered on the podcast. I think that they also do a sort of read along sometimes which I assume would cover those things. 

For example, they are starting Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in August.

Here's a link to the read along part of their page, but they also have other podcasts linked elsewhere.

https://www.theliterary.life/category/read-along/

• Like 3

The older Scott Foresman lit books from the late 80's/early '90s (America Reads: Classic Edition) have nicely done history sections throughout the book.

England in Literature is the English Lit one 😉

Scholars Online uses SF' s England in Lit ... https://www.scholarsonline.org/Info/coursedesc.php?id=1532

ETA:  found a thread with the ISBN numbers for England in Literature...

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Prentice Hall literature books from the 90's also have a nice little section with history articles and context throughout - the British lit one was called The British Tradition. I know you feel it was better than an anthology... but I'm not sure where other than a literary anthology you'll find the sort of brief overview you'd like to see. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Farrar said:

The Prentice Hall literature books from the 90's also have a nice little section with history articles and context throughout - the British lit one was called The British Tradition. I know you feel it was better than an anthology... but I'm not sure where other than a literary anthology you'll find the sort of brief overview you'd like to see. 

Actually, what we had was an anthology, just "better" (more interesting) than I remember compared to other anthologies that I used in school. It's possible that one of the anthologies mentioned here would work very well. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

The older Scott Foresman lit books from the late 80's/early '90s (America Reads: Classic Edition) have nicely done history sections throughout the book.

England in Literature is the English Lit one 😉

Scholars Online uses SF' s England in Lit ... https://www.scholarsonline.org/Info/coursedesc.php?id=1532

ETA:  found a thread with the ISBN numbers for England in Literature...

We really liked this book. We did the whole thing. It has some full-length works in it, but I did add full-length Beowulf with the audio and maybe something else? The writing assignments are solid and I did have dd do some of the the questions at the end of the works. Not the most basic level, but some of the ones that required some synthesis. 

• Like 1