Menu

First time mom..

2.5 years ago I became a mom. It's something I was told was impossible.. apparently not because here we are. I am not choosing to homeschool because of the events of 2020. I have planned on doing it since conception. As my child gets older, I try to introduce education through play. Really, I don't know what I'm doing! I've searched for homeschool communities near my area. The closest one is over 100 miles away. The forum route is the next option that will hopefully be equally informative. 

I'm looking for suggestions about books, games and activities to use

Also, I have been looking for parents of children with speech delays. I believe my 2.5 yo has a delay and I would like to get advice from parents that have been through or are going through speech therapy.

Thank you.

I have 2 friends who have had to do speech therapy for their young children. At your child's 3 year old appointment with the pediatrician mention it as a concern if the doctor doesn't, Then you'll get set up with speech therapy there; it may be considered a special education thing so it could be free. They will access what the problem is (whether there is a physical problem or just the kid needs a little nudge).

Education through play: At 2.5 the most important things they need to learn is how to take care of themselves, and interact with the world. So step back and give them time to do things all by themselves. In the morning, just say to them "Time to put on your clothes." Then, take a step back and wait for them to give you the confused look before intervening with "Do you need help?" Walk slowly through the steps, giving the time for your child to attempt, to show they can already do it, or to ask you for help. Toddlers find doing everyday routine things by themselves to be pretty fun.

Another one is ask your child open ended questions (meaning no right or wrong answer and you aren't going to provide an answer). Whatever your child responds with is going to be met with acknowledgement and interest from you (right, wrong or down-right silly react as if you are talking to a peer). If your child does not respond or stares at you blankly say "Hmm" ponderously and move on with your day. I think it shows children that you are interested in what they have to say and gives them reason to say things. As your child gets older and responds this is also where they learn to formulate and communicate their own thoughts.

Also start doing independent play (if you haven't already). 

As for academic skills , you can start doing "sound games" google that phrase you'll get tons of age appropriate activities - this is what I used to begin teaching my kids to read. For math/counting start asking your child how many of something they want and giving them the exact number they ask for. Once your child has mastered these basics you'll have a better clue as to how they like to learn.

My favorite book on toddlers is The Montessori Toddler by Simone Davies. A great book on preschool math is Kate Snow's Preschool Math at Home.

(As a note my educational experience is only with my two kids.)