Menu

cooling cloths...do they really work?

kfeusse

do these really work?  I have 2 sons who are doing yard work this summer as part of their summer job and I have always wondered if these actually work or not? 

Has anybody purchased some thing like this?  I would imagine, just like other things, some brands might be better than others....so if that is the case and there is a brand I should stay away from...or actually get, please advise me. 

thanks. 

Yes, they do!

We have Frog Toggs, which are similar but a little heavier.  Our family does several bike rides in the summer that go anywhere from 15 miles (ds and I) to 50 (dh), and do fun runs.  These are great for the end of the course to help bring body temperature back down.  I don't sweat much, but I can get overheated pretty easily on humid days.

Will they work for long periods? I don't know.  We throw them in a cooler with an ice pack after the first round if we're going to need them off and on.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Yes, they do!

We have Frog Toggs, which are similar but a little heavier.  Our family does several bike rides in the summer that go anywhere from 15 miles (ds and I) to 50 (dh), and do fun runs.  These are great for the end of the course to help bring body temperature back down.  I don't sweat much, but I can get overheated pretty easily on humid days.

Will they work for long periods? I don't know.  We throw them in a cooler with an ice pack after the first round if we're going to need them off and on.

thanks.  I am wanting to try these...

Do they work?  Yes. I find them better than nothing. But sometimes I want it to be more cooling.   

I’ve tried frog togs (Walmart has them for pretty cheap, sometimes at the B&M store) and a more fabric-y one like you linked. I found the fabric-y got stinky much faster than the frog togs and warmed up faster than FT.   And I’ve had one of blue FTs bleed onto a light green FT. 

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Only until your body heat warms the water on them. I don’t find them any more useful than a wet washcloth, which is to say not at all.

I run really hot though, maybe they are more helpful for people who don’t?

Same experience. It was just a wet cloth on my neck, nothing crazy. Weird fabric - like those sort of reusbable sort of disposable cloths you can buy next to the sponges. 

But maybe it is just too humid here for them to be worth much. They warmed up fast, then you just had body temperature wet fabric on your neck. 

• Like 1