Menu

Just a laugh for you hot climate people

Laughing 'cause you said we could, but I so get it, that climate/temperatures are so variable & relative to the location. 

Here of course, that's pretty mild for summer. But then our "winter" temps can shut down our electric grid, apparently, if they happen too long, so.....(well, and that was unusual winter temps, not like stuff we normally get, but still....).

Do you have A/C to cope, or no?  Stay hydrated!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Laughing 'cause you said we could, but I so get it, that climate/temperatures are so variable & relative to the location. 

Here of course, that's pretty mild for summer. But then our "winter" temps can shut down our electric grid, apparently, if they happen too long, so.....(well, and that was unusual winter temps, not like stuff we normally get, but still....).

Do you have A/C to cope, or no?  Stay hydrated!

😄

We haven’t put our widow unit back in yet. It’s barely June, lol.
Fortunately, it’s not usually a problem unless/until there are multiple nights when the temp doesn’t drop back down. We’ve got lots of shade!
The worst thing that tends to happen is that I’ll be sitting outside in a sweatshirt at home and then run out to do errands where there is no shade and I roast.

Cold temperatures, in and of themselves, don’t usually affect our electric supply. The ice on wires and trees, otoh... 

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Ah, but what's the humidity? LOL. 

I'm not necessarily in a hot climate (NC) but we do regularly get mid/upper 90s in the summer. But, oh, the humidity!

Yes! I know people joke about the "it's a dry heat" thing in the desert, but having lived in AZ, NC, and SoCal - the humidity definitely makes the heat more unbearable.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I always thought that meteorologically (is that a word?) you can't say hot until 90 degrees.

ETA - I just looked this up and can't find anything.  But I know I heard a meteorologist say this! 

Edited by Kassia

10 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I am one of those hot climate people--and the high is forecasted to be lower than that here today.  It has been very odd to be the beginning of June and have highs in the upper 70s

Here too.  So weird.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I always thought that meteorologically (is that a word?) you can't say hot until 90 degrees.

ETA - I just looked this up and can't find anything.  But I know I heard a meteorologist say this! 

Our 'hot' is usually around 21 degrees C, so low 70s.  Anything above that is 'officially' a heatwave.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/31/thousands-of-sunseekers-flock-to-beaches-across-uk-during-25c-heatwave-14679869/

25 degrees C is 77 degrees F.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

CB46B8F3-82DF-45A5-9175-0EB9A2975779.jpeg

It took me a minute to get the 'joke'....I couldn't figure out why they were saying 'very Hot' with those temps.  Funny how different things are in different areas.

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Ah, but what's the humidity? LOL. 

I'm not necessarily in a hot climate (NC) but we do regularly get mid/upper 90s in the summer. But, oh, the humidity!

True! But it doesn’t tell me that, lol.

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

image.png.76c31a9a14bc4485e1a1813cd26c5a0d.png
https://www.osha.gov/heat/heat-index/about

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Our 'hot' is usually around 21 degrees C, so low 70s.  Anything above that is 'officially' a heatwave.

Where I am from, 23 deg C is what the office air-con thermostat is usually set at. Temperature there is 29 to 31 deg C today.

Where I am in California, it is 13 to 24 deg C with 59% humidity. After 15 years here, it still takes getting to 30 deg C before I feel that it’s a heatwave. 

• Like 1

I will laugh but I also laugh at the locals here who say that 80 is too cold to swim.  I have lived in many climates so I find most people's weather freak outs and perceptions kind of funny. But also understand that when you aren't used to something or prepared it can be extreme.  People have had a rough week here because it leaped from like 70 to 105 and a lot of people weren't prepared for the heat yet and had to rush around getting ac tuned up and such.

We came to AZ in December to look at houses and there was a cold front. It was in the 50s. We saw people with gloves and coats on. It was crazy. 

Now I'm probably one of those people who complains about how cold it is when it's in the 50s. 

It is supposed to be 105 degrees here today. 

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/31/thousands-of-sunseekers-flock-to-beaches-across-uk-during-25c-heatwave-14679869/

25 degrees C is 77 degrees F.

Husband and I marvel at Monty Don wearing a light jacket when gardening in the summer in the UK.  But then he and I have lived through 123F/50C so our warms and hots are calibrated differently than a Brit's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Yes! I know people joke about the "it's a dry heat" thing in the desert, but having lived in AZ, NC, and SoCal - the humidity definitely makes the heat more unbearable.

But what many people who haven't lived in both humid and dry don't realize, is that's only true when the temperatures are the same.  A dry 90 degrees always feels much cooler than a humid 90 degrees. That humid 90 degrees can easily be surpassed in the misery scale when you're at a dry 115+.  115+ sunny, and dry with a hot wind (no cool breezes and cloud cover in the desert) is a different animal entirely.  This assumes someone is outside in both situations.

Let me explain.  You know that feeling when you first realize you're getting a sunburn because your skin has that prickly sensation?  That's what happens the moment you step outside in 117ish+.  It's not a instant sunburn, it's just so hot your skin feels like it's being burned. 90 degrees and humid is more tolerable.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

image.png.76c31a9a14bc4485e1a1813cd26c5a0d.png
https://www.osha.gov/heat/heat-index/about

Where I am from, 23 deg C is what the office air-con thermostat is usually set at. Temperature there is 29 to 31 deg C today.

Where I am in California, it is 13 to 24 deg C with 59% humidity. After 15 years here, it still takes getting to 30 deg C before I feel that it’s a heatwave. 

My a/c is currently set at 23, with a forecasted high of 33 out today, which is down from 36 yesterday. I'm working on cleaning my basement today where it's probably about 18 or 19 with the a/c running. 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Husband and I marvel at Monty Don wearing a light jacket when gardening in the summer in the UK.  But then he and I have lived through 123F/50C so our warms and hots are calibrated differently than a Brit's.

Monty is a good bit south of us. If I watch his shows a week or two late then they match the garden here. Yes, jackets most days. I was in short sleeves most of today, but that's not common.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

CB46B8F3-82DF-45A5-9175-0EB9A2975779.jpeg

That's perfect weather! It's not even a little bit hot. 😄 

Also, 60s at night is either open the windows because it gorgeous or hey it's a little chilly so get out an extra blanket. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

When we first moved to live in the low desert in SW USA, I distinctly remember one weather forecaster saying the next week would be a cool spell with highs only hitting 95 degrees. 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rebcoola said:

I will laugh but I also laugh at the locals here who say that 80 is too cold to swim.  

Is that air temperature or water temperature? If it's air temp I agree. If it's water temp that's perfect! I prefer not to swim until the water hits 80. 

1 hour ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

But what many people who haven't lived in both humid and dry don't realize, is that's only true when the temperatures are the same.  A dry 90 degrees always feels much cooler than a humid 90 degrees. That humid 90 degrees can easily be surpassed in the misery scale when you're at a dry 115+.  115+ sunny, and dry with a hot wind (no cool breezes and cloud cover in the desert) is a different animal entirely.  This assumes someone is outside in both situations.

Let me explain.  You know that feeling when you first realize you're getting a sunburn because your skin has that prickly sensation?  That's what happens the moment you step outside in 117ish+.  It's not a instant sunburn, it's just so hot your skin feels like it's being burned. 90 degrees and humid is more tolerable.

I agree that it would be better to be in 90 degree humid weather than 115 dry weather but the thing about humidity is your body can't cool off. The air can only hold so much moisture so if it's very humid and you're sweating, that sweat can't evaporate to cool you off. And when you walk outside in that humid 90 degrees you start sweating the moment you walk out the door.

The humidity works against you in cold weather too. When we would visit dh's grandmother in Tennessee and it was 45 degrees, that 45 was much warmer than our Florida 45 because it wasn't humid. Humid + cold = freezing to the bone!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Is that air temperature or water temperature? If it's air temp I agree. If it's water temp that's perfect! I prefer not to swim until the water hits 80. 

Air temp I don't know the water temp.  But where I grew up if we only swam when it was over 80 that would like 2 weeks a year.  

The first night the outdoor waterpark was open at our gym was like 78 and we did have to take the toddler into the warm tub indoors after about an hour because she was cold but everyone else was fine.  

• Like 1

This is us today:

Untitled1.jpg.16e7489110f469815514617059f7f405.jpg

And in Fahrenheit for the States folks: 🙂

Untitled.png.38f3d1133f6bf8a1b53013fcd97ee5e9.png

With humidity, it's 100F.  This is Central Canada.  This is HOT for early June but more common later in the summer.

We also have to be prepared for these kinds of temps:

Untitled2.jpg.4b1271e417358481513f23804da80c15.jpg

Those are the minimum temps for this past February (dates on the left).  The max temps for those days are the first column of temps.

I have central heating and central A/C.  Our houses are typically very well insulated which helps in both extremes.  I'm almost in the center of the continent.  Weather without large oceanic bodies nearby can have pretty wild swings!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I agree that it would be better to be in 90 degree humid weather than 115 dry weather but the thing about humidity is your body can't cool off. The air can only hold so much moisture so if it's very humid and you're sweating, that sweat can't evaporate to cool you off.

The sweat evaporating to cool you is very brief and the heat is continuous.  We hike in the desert and people are often fooled by that temporary cooling, then they quickly experience dehydration and heat stroke.  That's why people who visit AZ in the late spring-early fall have to be medevaced off of hiking trails-they don't understand how much the higher temps (even in the lowe 100s) and dryness take a toll on their bodies.

I've worked outside in my garden in Raleigh in the summer during the middle of the day for the last 3 years. No way would I have tried that in PHX even in late spring (May) or early fall (Sept.) in all the years I lived there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fraidycat said:

I live in Central Texas now; before that I was in California for 30 years. A California friend came to visit me one April. She had always lived in either California or Nevada. So when she came in April, the weather was quite nice, really, but the humidity almost knocked her over, and it was low for us.

17 hours ago, rebcoola said:

I will laugh but I also laugh at the locals here who say that 80 is too cold to swim.  I have lived in many climates so I find most people's weather freak outs and perceptions kind of funny. But also understand that when you aren't used to something or prepared it can be extreme.  People have had a rough week here because it leaped from like 70 to 105 and a lot of people weren't prepared for the heat yet and had to rush around getting ac tuned up and such.

When the temps get to the low 70's here, the weather service puts out a water temperature warning. The air temperature is hot  and seems perfect for swimming/boating but the water is still in the 50’s.