Menu

What are your top skin care must-haves?

Indigo Blue

Mine:

My skin type is aging, dry, and VERY sensitive. What I would love to use and what I have to use are two different things. Things I can't use but would love to use are: Jergens cold cream, Aquaphor, and any petrolatum-based hand cream that is thick and rich. Petrolatum is the most effective thing on earth for dry skin, but it makes my face and skin itch. Jergens is petrolatum-based and too strongly scented. That stuff relieves my facial tightness like nothing else ever, but I can't use it. I don't generally want fragrances in my products, and I tend to buy things that have fewer and/or cleaner ingredients.

Things I have to use instead:

For my face: A humectant/emollient base layer (right now unscented Attitude cream). Next, a thin layer of olive oil, then a light layer of clear, odorless, pure lanolin (occlusive). (The olive oil makes the lanolin easy to spread). When all is applied,  I blot it with tissue because the lanolin is pretty heavy.  I'm going to try Waxelene to see if it would make a good Aquaphor replacement. If so, it will be good for hands, face, and even cleansing. I can use Weleda products, which are not petrolatum-based. 

For bathing: I use Dove bar unscented or Vanicream body wash. I put a few drops of olive oil in bath water in the winter months.

For facial cleansing:  I have to stay away from face washes and soaps of all kinds, or else I will have a tight face. I literally clean my face with anything oil-based, scent-free, and clean. If not, my face is uncomfortable all day. I just take a warm cloth and work it around, rinse the cloth, and wipe my face off again. I'm always trying different things for this. There are lots of cleansing balms on the market right now, but few of them tick all the boxes for me. I will be trying Waxelene Petrolatum alternative and the Nutrogena cleansing balm.

It's taken a long time to narrow it all down to these, and they do all work for my skin, finally.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2

My must haves?

Cetaphil for face and body washing.  I need PH neutral, fragrance free, allergy friendly stuff.

Zinc oxide based sunscreen in SPF 30 or higher. (30 for everyday, 60 at the beach or 30 with hourly applications)

I use vanicream for body lotion.

Face stuff: Cerave am and pm lotions in the summer.  I use more moisturizing stuff in the winter. 

I'm super simple and basic --

CeraVe moisturizing face wash. Will use Cetaphil in a pinch.

CeraVe moisturizing cream in the big tub. I use that for face and body.

Aquaphor for my hands and for my face when it's super dry (which it often is in the winter).

Dove sensitive skin body wash for bathing.

If I positively can't avoid being out in the sun -- Neutrogena sunscreen. DH prefers it, so it's what we keep on hand. Mostly I prefer to stay out of the sun. At my last checkup my PA commented that she didn't have any other patients my age with so few skin things. I said she probably doesn't have any other patients who despise the summer sun/heat/humidity as much as I do. 😉 

• Like 1

Um, my skin care routine is: 

1) Dr. Bronner's soap.  I use the lavender one in the shower and I think almond for washing hands and face.  We also have a bottle of peppermint I use on occasion.

2) Suave mint and rosemary shampoo

3) Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste

4) Secret unscented deodorant

Other things we have in our house but I don't use routinely:  Kroger generic sunscreen, some kind of generic lotion, there's a chapstick somewhere, other family members have their own deodorants, Listerine mouthwash, my kids have cheap nail polish and makeup, other family members use Head and Shoulders 2 in 1 Shampoo/ Conditioner and an Herbal Essences shampoo, Dove soap, Dial soap, hair dye but the last time anyone played with that was a year ago, although I'm thinking of dyeing my hair before we go visit my mom and colleges.  Oh, and we use mint dental floss.  My kids used to have some acne cleanser that I got from Target awhile back, but they ran out and haven't requested more and birth control pills cleared up my oldest's skin.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I'd love to find the perfect eye cream that actually moisturized for an entire day and had sun protection but that must be a unicorn because I haven't found it yet. 

Advanced Night Repair Serum Synchronized Multi-Recovery Complex (ETA: Estée Lauder) works as a daytime eye cream for me. I either have my glasses with transition lens on or my prescription sunglasses on so I didn’t look into sun protection for my eyes.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

Andalou Naturals moisturizer and body lotion

I just use warm water to wash my face

In the shower: Lush soaps, shower gels, and scrubs

Sun Bum sunscreen

I think eating loads of fruits and vegetables is the most important thing you can do to care for your skin

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

High spf sunscreen for hiking etc.

Some shampoo/soap for the shower.

I don't use any other cosmetics products. 

I'm similar except that my hands get dry and sore. I use Garnier Hand Repair, then rub any excess on my forearms and elbows.

• Like 1

I'm pretty simple, wrt skincare. Dedicated, but simple. 

Cerave SA wash

Paula's Choice Pore Reducing or BHA/Clear toner 

Cerave PM face lotion (morning and night)

sometimes Cerave retinol or The Ordinary Azelaic acid  

Dove sensitive body wash

Cerave cream in the tub/pump

sunscreen - was Australian Gold but I think it's been reformulated and so I'm currently experimenting with a K-beauty brand...

• Like 2

I use the big tub of Eucerin cream for my face every morning. My skin loves this and the $15 tub lasts more than a year. I'll use a zinc oxide sunscreen if I have to be out in the sun, but mostly I'm not out in the sun. I like the Aveeno oatmeal lotion (Costco 2-pack) for arms and legs. And Neutragena Norwegian Formula hand cream for my hands at bedtime.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 1

Must haves here are pretty simple.

Skin: coconut oil for most of me, Burt's Bees foot cream for my heels.  It's beeswax, vitamin E, and a few other ingredients, but super thick to stay put overnight.  I used to use olive oil, but coconut oil travels better.

Shower:  a shampoo bar (I have a few I rotate through), a locally made bar of soap

Facial cleanser: coconut oil.  I rub about a teaspoon's worth in before my shower and wipe away during the shower with a hot cloth.  It leaves my face super soft and not dry or itchy.

• Like 2

Sunscreen.  Everywhere that's exposed from March through November.  If I make it to fall without a farmer tan, I've done my job.  I tend to fail. 

I upgraded my lotion when Trader Joe's changed their Midsummer's Night Cream to something else.  Now I use Cetafil or Cera Ve.  I tested them side by side and the results are virtually identical.

When my kids were little I considered it my job to make sure that they had no tan lines.  I did much better with them than I do with myself.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

Prescription Retinoids but they’re way too $$$ in the US so I get overseas. I’m out now and not very happy about it. I used to order from India or Mexico but that formulation is drying. If anyone has figured out how to order by mail  the renova formulation (or, Ketrel in France or Retirides in Spain), please let me know.🙏

sunscreen—also used to get the euro ones like Anthelios but there are decent ones here now.

viramin C serum but I’m spoty about using these because I’m not convinced they haven’t gone bad. I keep in fridge.

And lastly once in a while I use acids. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Terabith said:

1) Dr. Bronner's soap.  I use the lavender one in the shower and I think almond for washing hands and face.  We also have a bottle of peppermint I use on occasion.

My face likes to switch things up from very oily to super dry.  I’ve found that Dr. Bronner’s (I use unscented) keeps it completely balanced.  I don’t even remember what got me to switch. Maybe I ran out of other cleanser? I’m just in shock that something so cheap and simple is so great.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

My face likes to switch things up from very oily to super dry.  I’ve found that Dr. Bronner’s (I use unscented) keeps it completely balanced.  I don’t even remember what got me to switch. Maybe I ran out of other cleanser? I’m just in shock that something so cheap and simple is so great.

Dr. Bronner’s, or Castile soap in general, is awesome. I also love the really thick Eucerin creams. Sadly, I can’t use them. 

Im hoping the small tube of Waxelene I ordered will be something I like. It’s a natural Vaseline alternative. 

19 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Trader Joe's changed their Midsummer's Night Cream to something else

It makes me mad that TJ's changed their lotion.  It was the perfect lotion before they messed it up.  Now it is good but not nearly what it was before.   It seems the main ingredients are the same, but the lotion feels different and it isn't as moisturizing as the old formula.

My routine since December.  Honestly, my face was never bad but it really looks great now. I used to just use a cream with spf in it. 

Morning- Juice Beauty Antioxidant Serum, Skintastic sunscreen when I will be out  and Either Acure brightening cream or derma e brightening cream.  

Evening- derma e vitamin c serum, either derma e night hydrating cream in winter or khiels face cream in summer.  I do use the body shop CBD face oil once a week.  

My face wash at night is the Body Shop tea tree face wash for those really sweaty, dirty days or Khiels face wash for both morning and night. 

• Like 1

Excema runs in my family.

Long ago a dermo told me to use Lubriderm -- Costco sells it at a good price -- on all parts of my skin after I shower in the morning.

In the evening, I wash my face with Cetaphil (also at Costco) and finish it up with more Lubriderm.

I know what you mean by face-tightness. Sometimes after I've put on make-up I still feel a little tight, so I very gently pat some Lubriderm onto my face and neck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Prescription Retinoids but they’re way too $$$ in the US so I get overseas. I’m out now and not very happy about it. I used to order from India or Mexico but that formulation is drying. If anyone has figured out how to order by mail  the renova formulation (or, Ketrel in France or Retirides in Spain), please let me know.🙏

sunscreen—also used to get the euro ones like Anthelios but there are decent ones here now.

viramin C serum but I’m spoty about using these because I’m not convinced they haven’t gone bad. I keep in fridge.

And lastly once in a while I use acids. 

I just thought dryness was par for the course. I also get mine from overseas, but now you have me wondering if it is the formulation???

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

I just thought dryness was par for the course. I also get mine from overseas, but now you have me wondering if it is the formulation???

It’s absolutely the formulation. The ones i cited are almost oily to the feel (in a good way), like a thinner nivea cream. Used to be able to get it from alldaychemist. But now the retinoids from there as well as some other formulations (say, the Greek one) are like putting liquid chalk on your face. So unhappy. 

• Like 1

I double cleanse at night. First I use Banila Co Clean it Zero cleansing balm. It's great for removing zinc oxide sunscreen. Then I use Hada Labo hydrating foaming facial cleanser to remove any oily residue. 

Then I apply a watery urea moisture lotion that's made in Japan.

Next comes The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 5%. This is until I can get back in with my dermatologist. I really want to use Refissa again.

A layer of Hyaluronic Acid by The Ordinary or Hada Labo.

Then a moisturizer to occlude the HA.

My favorite sunscreen for face/neck is Shunly. I order it from Costco. I used to order the European chemical sunscreens like Anthelios etc because their UVA filters are so much better than the chemical sunscreens we have here, but I never found one that felt good on my face. They were all sticky. The Shunly truly doesn't leave a whitish cast, so I'm sticking with it. The Shunly is a tad heavy, but it works well under the Missha BB cream I use when I need some base/foundation to cover redness.

In the mornings I do nothing except sunscreen if I'm going to be outside--which is most days. I live in a humid climate, so I don't normally need any additional moisturizer in the morning.

If I start Refissa (tret) again, my routine will have to change because your face has to be COMPLETELY dry--like 20 minutes after washing face dry-- before you can apply it. Such a pain but I do really think tret is good for your skin. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2