Menu

would you.....

kfeusse

buy a mystery box worth $100 for $37.50 from a company you like or might use a lot of the products from but you don't know for sure?

I have never been brave enough to do something like for fear of not liking most of what's in the package....but I am so tempted. 

What is your experience with mystery boxes, packages etc??

Probably not. I have never been lucky with mystery boxes. 

Depending on the company, they may use the mystery boxes as a way to unload old inventory that nobody wanted to buy at full price or even on sale.

Have you looked on YouTube to see if there are any unboxing videos of mystery boxes from that company?

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

I wouldn't, but I am like @Homeschool Mom in AZ in that I'm trying to downsize more and more. I'm not at minimalist levels yet, but my lazy butt dreams of not having to look after, maintain, think about, organize, put away any, clean, or dust more items than necessary for my home to feel cozy and functional to me.

It's not the price that deters me, but the stuff itself.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

I might for the right thing. I'm also becoming more minimalist but I'll splurge on the right thing. If it was something that I genuinely use, then I might. Like, a $100 value box of art supplies or weird gourmet foods or something could be a fun one for me personally. Other people use makeup and so forth, so I get that would appeal to others. I see these sorts of mystery box things often where they're usually more "lifestyle" things and I'm not into that enough to do it - the products are too all over the place.

8 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

The company is Norwex. My consultant is adding an additional 25% what the company is offering.  

Checking for you tube videos is a great idea. 

I'd be very tempted for Norwex only because I feel like all of their products are usable. 

• Like 3

I used to do a monthly snack box.  But I was too lazy to "customize" and ended up with too many items I wouldn't eat, like jalapeno flavored this and that.

I still think it would be fun to do a one-off.

I do a monthly Birchbox for my 14yo.  I think this is her 3rd year getting it.  She still enjoys it, although I don't know that she uses everything in there.  Honestly, the only thing she really enjoys tinkering with is cosmetics, so it makes sense for her.

I have done this before with good results.  It was from a company that specialized in skin/body care products.  I had used a few, but the mystery box gave me a chance to try some of the others I hadn't invested in before.  I think only one of the products went unused (a weird cuticle cream that did not work).

Was it worth the stated value?  I'm not sure.  Some of the products were travel size, some of the least expensive were regular size, but it was a good value for what I ended up paying.

For something like Norwex, where you know you’re going to get cleaning supplies and you like those cleaning supplies? Yes.  For more broad product lines? Not so much.

I’ve done Michaels grab bags before because they’re so dang cheap, but that’s more like a fun raffle than trying to score a deal. You might hit the jackpot, or you might get “nothing”. (Something, just nothing you want.)

• Like 1

I did the FabFitFun box last year after our house fire. It was kind of a pandemic/house fire trauma thing. We didn’t have much stuff where we were staying so it seemed like a fun thing to do and I kept hearing about it on various podcasts I listen to. It was fun to get a package...it feels more like a gift when it’s a surprise. But I ended up being very underwhelmed by what was in there. I wasn’t sorry I did it in the situation and it took away the curiosity but I won’t do it again. 

I might do it if it’s a company that I knew well and liked their products. Or I would do it for a bookstore. 

Basically, I’d say do it if you are looking at it as a fun present to yourself. But if you really are looking to get specific things or are hoping for it to be a great deal, don’t do it. 

Edited by Alice

Nope.  After our friend kept giving dh stuff that he didn't want from his mystery boxes I decided they were likely all like that.  Filled with one or two things you like but the rest is fluff that ends up being wasted anyway.

12 hours ago, kfeusse said:

The company is Norwex. My consultant is adding an additional 25% what the company is offering.  

Checking for you tube videos is a great idea. 

I just looked at their website, and I’m changing my answer. 🙂 

If you already like their products, I can see the appeal of buying the mystery box to try more of their items without having to pay full price. Their stuff looks pretty practical and it’s attractive, too — nothing outlandish or weird from what I could see — so it seems like it would be hard to go too wrong.

If you do it, let us know what you get!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

If you already like their products, I can see the appeal of buying the mystery box to try more of their items without having to pay full price. Their stuff looks pretty practical and it’s attractive, too — nothing outlandish or weird from what I could see — so it seems like it would be hard to go too wrong.

I feel the same way.  Normally, I would say no to mystery boxes, but it seems like everything (or most) in it would be used and it would be fun to see what you get and you could end up with a great deal!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

39 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I feel the same way.  Normally, I would say no to mystery boxes, but it seems like everything (or most) in it would be used and it would be fun to see what you get and you could end up with a great deal!

3 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

I'd do if for Norwex - limited inventory and useful products.

thanks for this....I was beginning to doubt myself.   I normally don't do things like that either...I don't have extra money to spend, but I do like/love all of the Norwex products I have.   There are a few items in the catalog that I wouldn't use, probably, but maybe I just don't know I wouldn't use them.   I am secretly hoping they aren't doing this to get rid of certain inventory items like face masks.  We live in an area where they aren't required...and so yeah...there is that.   But, I love their towels and other clothes....their cleaners are good....so...I might take the plunge.....especially since my consultant is adding an additional 25% off.....thanks everybody. 

• Like 2

It sounds like you like and use most of their products so in this case I'd say yes. Normally it would be a no for me.

13 hours ago, SKL said:

I used to do a monthly snack box.  But I was too lazy to "customize" and ended up with too many items I wouldn't eat, like jalapeno flavored this and that.

I've done that with a produce delivery we used to subscribe to. Most of the time I'd customize but we wanted to try new foods so a few times we let them pick for us. They ALWAYS sent us kale, which none of us will eat. At all. Ever. 

**Before you (general you) start giving me ways to cook and eat kale, we tried all of them. We like other greens and are absolutely fine with never eating kale.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

It sounds like you like and use most of their products so in this case I'd say yes. Normally it would be a no for me.

I've done that with a produce delivery we used to subscribe to. Most of the time I'd customize but we wanted to try new foods so a few times we let them pick for us. They ALWAYS sent us kale, which none of us will eat. At all. Ever. 

**Before you (general you) start giving me ways to cook and eat kale, we tried all of them. We like other greens and are absolutely fine with never eating kale.

That happened to us, too!!!

What’s up with the kale???

We love greens like spinach, but we HATE kale, no matter how it’s prepared. HATE.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kfeusse said:

I am secretly hoping they aren't doing this to get rid of certain inventory items like face masks. 

I mean the mystery box phenomenon exists because it is filled with things that didn't sell and in a normal store would have ended up in the clearance section anyway. By wrapping it up in a mystery box and picking the price they likely make more money and move more inventory than just discounting things.

Not saying you'll just end up with face masks or you won't like what you get but in general the contents of these types of boxes are their slow movers or overly produced items.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I mean the mystery box phenomenon exists because it is filled with things that didn't sell and in a normal store would have ended up in the clearance section anyway. By wrapping it up in a mystery box and picking the price they likely make more money and move more inventory than just discounting things.

Not saying you'll just end up with face masks or you won't like what you get but in general the contents of these types of boxes are their slow movers or overly produced items.

I don't think they are all like that.  Based on what my kid gets in her Birchbox (very small size items), I think it's more that these are samples, sent in the hope that some of them will be re-purchased in larger quantities.

11 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't think they are all like that.  Based on what my kid gets in her Birchbox (very small size items), I think it's more that these are samples, sent in the hope that some of them will be re-purchased in larger quantities.

that is true.  there are mystery boxes like that as well and norwex may be like that given the nature of the products.  A quick youtube video watch of someone opening one it seems like that is the case with them