Menu

small vent - update!

ktgrok

I KNOW we are incredibly lucky/blessed to have access to an educational savings account through the state for special needs students. But it is super annoying to realize minecraft is a preapproved expense, and a nintendo switch and mario kart are easily reimbursed, and I can purchase a VR headset for him through their online store....but a 3D printer is not a preauthorized expense, and from what I'm hearing getting one approved is tricky at best. 

That logic...is lacking. 

Just finished writing up the educational benefits, and a friend sent me a link to how 3D printers can be used to meet common core standards, so I'm hopeful. But it angers me that other parents are using the funds for their kids to play mario kart and my son has an real skill in 3d design and it has huge benefits and it is going to be a fight. 

Update: It was approved! Less than 24 hours after submitting the request!!!!! I'm SO happy, needed that win today. I had just finished another 45 minutes on the phone with Wells Fargo trying to untangle the mess they made of our mortgage, with no real result, so was hugely stressed and then opened my email to see the status had changed. Logged in and it was approved!!!!

DH is super excited and already ordering. Not going to lie, it's a top of the line printer - but we have been very very careful with the funds so I don't feel badly about that at all. DS will get a ton of use out of it, an it will give DH and DS something to do together as well. The nicer one will mean less frustration and more options. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 7

12 minutes ago, Katy said:

I wonder why anyone created that rule. 

I think they figured it wasn't a "kid" thing, but for adults, from what I hear. Which is nonsense. 

I'm seriously going to go mama bear on them if they don't approve it. My 8 yr old is digging into TinkerCad with no formal teaching creating his own 3D figures from looking at 2D clip art online, printing it, adjusting the design to address structural issues, etc. Not educationally relevant my behind!

• Like 4

They also no longer cover cooking stuff, due to parents buying themselves cookware with it. Greedy people messing it up for others. (although I gotta say, seems more likely people would buy themselves a switch than a new set of kitchen pans). 

14 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

They also no longer cover cooking stuff, due to parents buying themselves cookware with it. Greedy people messing it up for others. (although I gotta say, seems more likely people would buy themselves a switch than a new set of kitchen pans). 

Jerks always ruin it for everyone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

My mind is blown that Minecraft is automatically approved.  I definitely think Minecraft could be used in an educational way, but I don't think it makes sense for it to be automatic.  And the switch and Mario Kart???

Yup - hand eye coordination you know. 

I'm sure for some kids it is used that way, and for some games are the only way to encourage them to read - in order to read the directions. 

We did not seek reimbursement for those items, but we did use it for an ipad that he sometimes reads on (epic books), sometimes draws on or creates multimedia art with, but often watches Dan TDM videos on. So I guess I can't complain. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Danae said:

I think some Minecraft enthusiasts did a good job of framing it as an educational thing early in its lifetime and now a lot of people think of it that way.

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

My mind is blown that Minecraft is automatically approved.  I definitely think Minecraft could be used in an educational way, but I don't think it makes sense for it to be automatic.  And the switch and Mario Kart???

My son bought Minecraft when it was still in Alpha (nothing like an 11 year old asking if he can paypal some guy in Sweden $25, lol). I do think it can be educational, especially about spatial learning and some math - ds learned squaring or cubing or something like that from playing. 

I do hope you're able to get the 3D printer approved. Ds just bought one, I didn't realize they had come down in price so much. He's just learning right now, but they look like fun and educational. 

I am very familiar with Minecraft in particular being considered good for social skills.  Which I think — it can be that way for some kids, while other kids are playing alone.  

I assume the same for MarioCart.  It could be a great game for encouraging social skills bc you can comment so much on what other players are doing, practice sportsmanship with winning and losing, etc, and I think it is a real thing where some kids will just have the motivation because they do like the game and it can really have those elements.

Or again — it can be played alone.

Good luck with the 3-d printer — it sounds like the kind of thing that should be approved for your son!  How cool he has a knack for it!!!!!!!!

So many middle and high schools use it in their curriculum I think it's difficult to argue it isn't educational.  Although in our last town there were three of them in the library, you had to schedule time to use them around middle school and high school clubs and classes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I think they figured it wasn't a "kid" thing, but for adults, from what I hear. Which is nonsense. 

I'm seriously going to go mama bear on them if they don't approve it. My 8 yr old is digging into TinkerCad with no formal teaching creating his own 3D figures from looking at 2D clip art online, printing it, adjusting the design to address structural issues, etc. Not educationally relevant my behind!

If it helps there are specific library programs here to teach kids 3D printing skills so they clearly see it as educational.  Just in case you need more evidence.

• Like 2

• ktgrok changed the title to small vent - update!

Update: It was approved! Less than 24 hours after submitting the request!!!!! I'm SO happy, needed that win today. I had just finished another 45 minutes on the phone with Wells Fargo trying to untangle the mess they made of our mortgage, with no real result, so was hugely stressed and then opened my email to see the status had changed. Logged in and it was approved!!!!

DH is super excited and already ordering. Not going to lie, it's a top of the line printer - but we have been very very careful with the funds so I don't feel badly about that at all. DS will get a ton of use out of it, an it will give DH and DS something to do together as well. The nicer one will mean less frustration and more options. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Oh!!! So happy to read the update!!! (and so sorry to hear you are still fighting the mortgage stuff)

Thank you, on both counts. I'm so...weary...from it. 8 days ago I was told they were sending me the partial claim documents (again) by fedex. When I called today it turns out they were not sent. BUT...the guy I got today talked to me for a LONG time, looked through all the notes of previous conversations, FOUND the paperwork I already sent in (that the system says they never got), and talked to the manager for the whole department. She has him writing up a LONG email documenting everything and including the paperwork I sent in a month ago, and he's going to argue they just honor that paperwork and call it done. He gave me his direct extension, and said to call him Monday if I don't hear from him before then. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you, on both counts. I'm so...weary...from it. 8 days ago I was told they were sending me the partial claim documents (again) by fedex. When I called today it turns out they were not sent. BUT...the guy I got today talked to me for a LONG time, looked through all the notes of previous conversations, FOUND the paperwork I already sent in (that the system says they never got), and talked to the manager for the whole department. She has him writing up a LONG email documenting everything and including the paperwork I sent in a month ago, and he's going to argue they just honor that paperwork and call it done. He gave me his direct extension, and said to call him Monday if I don't hear from him before then. 

Oh, praying like crazy they do honor it and it is taken care of!!! So glad you finally reached someone who will actually *help!* 

• Like 2

Just now, Catwoman said:

Yay!!!

Which one are you getting?

Starts with a P? Prusia or something like that? It's pricey, but since we are not asking for reimbursements for multiple gaming systems and TVs and such...I feel okay with it. 

7 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Ooh! The Prusas are great!!! 

To say my DH is excited is an understatement. He's mostly excited for DS, but also just to get to use and see and experience the tech. He's a tech geek, and into graphic art a bit, so yeah...he's giddy. And although it is not FOR him, obviously he can use it too. And by using it, will be teaching DS more on how to use it, so win-win.

I'm about to tell DS...it is going to take a while to get here, but he can start working on more designs. And we got the upgrade approved, that allows you to use multiple colors of filament. So yeah, excitement here for sure. 

On the borrowed one that is small and persnickety they printed out a Bluey cookie cutter yesterday, and then DD and I made the cookies. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Danae said:

I think some Minecraft enthusiasts did a good job of framing it as an educational thing early in its lifetime and now a lot of people think of it that way.

Actually there's an entire "Minecraft Education" build of the software that is NOT the base game.

https://education.minecraft.net/

(They use this in our local elementary schools for the Hour of Code every year)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

To say my DH is excited is an understatement. He's mostly excited for DS, but also just to get to use and see and experience the tech. He's a tech geek, and into graphic art a bit, so yeah...he's giddy. And although it is not FOR him, obviously he can use it too. And by using it, will be teaching DS more on how to use it, so win-win.

I'm about to tell DS...it is going to take a while to get here, but he can start working on more designs. And we got the upgrade approved, that allows you to use multiple colors of filament. So yeah, excitement here for sure. 

On the borrowed one that is small and persnickety they printed out a Bluey cookie cutter yesterday, and then DD and I made the cookies. 

I nearly forgot— choose the FedEx shipping option. It’s FAST!

And if you can, choose pre-assembled over the kit option.

I know there is often a waiting list for Prusa printers, but they seem to be pretty quick lately. 

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I nearly forgot— choose the FedEx shipping option. It’s FAST!

And if you can, choose pre-assembled over the kit option.

I know there is often a waiting list for Prusa printers, but they seem to be pretty quick lately. 

Yes, we got preassembled. DH explained he COULD assemble..but...and I stopped him right there. He is about to upgrade his second job to full time (so two full jobs). He runs a non profit. He says he isn't in this other non profit but he sure is in on their board conference calls, does graphic design for it, etc...he's involved. He is finishing up repairs on the house. He doesn't have time to "try" to assemble it. 

He already ordered (within minutes of me telling him it was approved) so not sure what shipping he got. He sent me the invoice but the detailed receipt didn't come through in the email so he has to resend it to me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Starts with a P? Prusia or something like that? It's pricey, but since we are not asking for reimbursements for multiple gaming systems and TVs and such...I feel okay with it. 

Your son and husband will love it!  I bought one and assembled it for myself in March and then the school I work at bought one in May and the librarian and I assembled it.  They print so much better than anything else I have used!

On 6/3/2021 at 12:45 PM, Terabith said:

Yeah that is a lot more surprising than a 3D printer not being approved.