Menu

Swimming Period Emergency!

DD got her period a few months ago and she started yesterday afternoon. She's going to a slumber party tonight and the mom just texted to remind the girls to bring their suits if they want to swim. They have a backyard pool. 

Bad mom! I'd meant to buy DD a period swimsuit but hadn't gotten around to it yet and it doesn't appear that you can buy them in the stores. I don't think she's ready to wear a tampon.

I've been googling this morning and saw mention of waterproof pads but can't actually find a pad described as waterproof. 

This is a little dicey because there will be girls that DD doesn't know well at this party and she's going to go to school with them next year. 

Any advice? 

I don’t think there are waterproof pads you can buy in stores, and I think it would be very obvious that she was wearing a pad in a swimsuit anyway.

There are tampons specifically for teens; maybe one of those would be easy enough for her to apply?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My 14 year old is a swimmer. When she got her first period, she figured out how to use tampons right then. She uses playtex sport brand. She has never missed swimming because of her period, so it seems to work. 

• Like 8

Would she be comfortable just hanging out by the pool, maybe dangling her legs in? 

If her flow is super light she could probably get away with an absorbent liner if she checks it often.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MercyA said:

Would she be comfortable just hanging out by the pool, maybe dangling her legs in? 

If her flow is super light she could probably get away with an absorbent liner if she checks it often.

She might be but that could be awkward too. She's the only one of her friends who has started her period which makes this more awkward for her. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Just had this issue yesterday. Dd started in the fall so first summer with swimming as an issue. She wasn’t ready to try a tampon until she got an invite to go swimming at a friends house. She decided to give it a try and she did great with it and she is so happy to have this new option. (She is just turned 13 yo).

The products today are much more user friendly than when I was 12 and having swimming emergencies! I went to target and bought every variety of “light” size. They are pretty small. Then I brought them home and we opened them all up and studied them (LOL) and she decided which she wanted to try. She did great with it. So, Saturday she didn’t think she was ready to try, yesterday she tried because she wanted to swim with a friend, today she is wearing them even not swimming just because she thinks it is the greatest option and so much more comfortable than a pad. 

So that is just an encouragement to maybe see if she wants to try. I couldn’t believe it went as smoothly as it did. We both did a serious happy dance that she has this option now. I really had thought this was going to be a much harder thing to do than it ended up being. 

Good luck. I, also, had forgotten my plans to order a period swimsuit before this came up. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

Tampax Pearl used to be my favorite, but now I swear by U by Kotex, the Click ones NOT the "Security" ones. The click ones are plastic applicator which slides in well, expand evenly, and are both more narrow and shorter than the Tampax or other brand ones in my experience (more like OB in that respect). After a few kids my cervix is lower and in a weird position, so I need a short tampon. 

They are also easy to "hide" in a pocket because they are half size until you slide out the applicator and individually wrapped. Nice when you want to be discreet and not have to take your purse into the bathroom at someone's house, you know? And if people DO see them or she decides she doesn't care, the wrappers are bright, fun colors 🙂

These are them - easy to find at any store https://www.ubykotex.com/en-us/products/tampons/click-regular-tampon

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

now I swear by U by Kotex, the Click ones NOT the "Security" ones. The click ones are plastic applicator which slides in well, expand evenly, and are both more narrow and shorter than the Tampax or other brand ones in my experience (more like OB in that respect). After a few kids my cervix is lower and in a weird position, so I need a short tampon. 

Yes! Katie recommended these when I had my period on a cruise, and they worked well. I generally hate tampons (maybe because of my tilted uterus) and these were the easiest I've tried. I have some waiting for my DD when she is ready.

• Like 3

My best suggestion, if it’s possible for her,  to be able to be discrete would be a Tampon, small size, slippery tube like a plastic outer tube and with lubricant gel if needed to help get it in.  Out again can also be an issue if too dry, so some lubricant can be useful for the reverse trip also.  (Long ago  swim  team / swim teacher etc experience)    If trying that I suggest testing one out ASAP before the slumber party starts. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Here is a really good tampon explanation video.  

A hand curled into a loose fist also makes a pretty easy demo tool, lol, if your kiddo will sit there and watch. That's what I did. 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When it happened to me, so wanted to swim so badly that I leaned to use a tampon quite quickly, and that was before there were all the choices now. For dd, I bought the American Girl book "Care and Keeping of you" and sent her into the bathroom with it and a teen, slender Tampax tampon. She figured it out right away. That book was great for just a lot of issues for girls going through puberty.

• Like 3

FYI to anyone reading- I’m sure many of us are dealing with this issue right now. I went to the store looking for a “teen” or “slender” tampon as I remembered seeing that in the past. All I found was “light”. It was perfect so no biggie but just in case anyone can’t find the “teen” ones being recommended. I’m sure I’ve seen them in the past but I didn’t see any at Walgreens or Target. I think the winner here was a Tampax Radiant Light. But the others I picked up were similar and I think would have worked fine. Seriously so much better than the old cardboard things. 

And it was slightly amusing and I felt solidarity with other tween moms...the shelves were out of all the light ones at Walgreens and the stock of light was thinner at Target too. So I envisioned alot of swimming period emergencies for the new menstruaters this weekend. So you are not alone, OP!

• Like 3

Oh man, we JUST had this issue too! My poor DD is only 10. She's had her period for a while now, but this is the first swimming emergency. I'm happy to help her with tampons, but she's just not ready for it. We ended up skipping a couple of pool days 😞

When I was a teen, I couldn't use tampons (let's just say that no one would have doubted my virginity, if anyone had cared). I was on the swim team, and it made for some very unpleasant, awkward practices.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When this happened to my youngest, she just said she didn't really want to swim.

I told the host mom that my kid was on her period, so she would understand and not make things more awkward.

(ETA we do have period swimwear, but my kids don't want to use it.)

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, regentrude said:

somewhat off topic: period swimwear???? That really works?

I cannot believe it would be reliable. I think I would be constantly worried. That said, I think it would be perfect as a tampon backup. I ordered some bottoms for both my dd and myself so I’ll let you know in a couple weeks. 🙂

• Like 2

i’ve never heard of period swimsuits.

I did buy some period underwear to use with pads at night for back up, and....let’s just say, I am totally unimpressed. They absorb nothing, they’re just really thick and not attractive. They don’t stain, though, I will say that for them. But everything just passed merrily through onto the bed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

How did things go for her?

Sorry, I forgot to update. It turned out okay because it was just spotting and she didn't actually start her period until the next day when she was home. So we dodged a bullet but I need to buy a period suit for her so we don't have this problem again. 

• Like 6

This thread got me to buy those Kotex tampons @ktgrok mentioned. I'm hoping they work out for my youngest DD -- we leave tomorrow for a week+ at the beach...and both of our cycles are due any moment now. Boo! Plus, her 13th bday is Sunday and I bought all-day passes for a waterpark that day. 😳😳 She's had her cycle for 2-3 years now, but she's only tried tampons a few times. This week might be trial by fire...

• Like 4

On 5/31/2021 at 1:14 PM, Ordinary Shoes said:

DD got her period a few months ago and she started yesterday afternoon. She's going to a slumber party tonight and the mom just texted to remind the girls to bring their suits if they want to swim. They have a backyard pool. 

Bad mom! I'd meant to buy DD a period swimsuit but hadn't gotten around to it yet and it doesn't appear that you can buy them in the stores. I don't think she's ready to wear a tampon.

I've been googling this morning and saw mention of waterproof pads but can't actually find a pad described as waterproof. 

This is a little dicey because there will be girls that DD doesn't know well at this party and she's going to go to school with them next year. 

Any advice? 

Why isn't she ready to wear a tampon?

When I first started my period -- that very first day I was shown how to use a tampon. Sometimes I used a pad with it but, from day 1, I was wearing a tampon. And my dad explained it to me as allowing me to continue to do the things i loved easier -- including swimming.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, stripe said:

I did buy some period underwear to use with pads at night for back up, and....let’s just say, I am totally unimpressed. They absorb nothing, they’re just really thick and not attractive. They don’t stain, though, I will say that for them. But everything just passed merrily through onto the bed.

This is why I wouldn't trust period swimsuits to keep the blood and not just pass it into the water of the pool.

• Like 3

My DD is 10 (almost 11) and just not psychologically ready to wear a tampon. She's actually slightly horrified at the thought. A lot of people don't like inserting things into their bodies--tampons, suppositories, needles, contacts. Not always super pleasant!

She knows she has my full support to use them whenever she's ready.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

When I first started my period -- that very first day I was shown how to use a tampon. Sometimes I used a pad with it but, from day 1, I was wearing a tampon. And my dad explained it to me as allowing me to continue to do the things i loved easier -- including swimming.

She's freaked out by the idea of tampons. I didn't wear tampons until I was in my late teens. I'm sure it will be less scary to her in a few years. 

• Like 5

I have adult friends who can't or won't use tampons.  So it doesn't surprise me with a young girl.

I bought my kids some small size tampons early on, but they were afraid to even try them for the first couple years.  And now (age 14), one of them still won't use tampons.  The other, I think she uses them sometimes, like for sports, but I don't really ask about it.  I haven't had to replace the first box so far.

It's OK, it just means they can't do certain things at certain times, just like women throughout history.  At least today's girls have a choice.  🙂

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

My roommate in college had never worn a tampon because she was told they were for sluts!  Same with wearing a tank top.  So strange.

How awesome that you had such a close relationship with your dad that he could discuss tampons with you!  🙂  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Sorry, I forgot to update. It turned out okay because it was just spotting and she didn't actually start her period until the next day when she was home. So we dodged a bullet but I need to buy a period suit for her so we don't have this problem again. 

I’m glad to hear that everything worked out okay!

• Like 2

Awkward tmi, but I can’t wear tampons because they don’t work. Like, the blood just goes around the tampon and never gets absorbed.  Some pads, as well.  Too thick?  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kassia said:

My roommate in college had never worn a tampon because she was told they were for sluts!  Same with wearing a tank top.  So strange.

How awesome that you had such a close relationship with your dad that he could discuss tampons with you!  🙂  

I feel I have to clarify my "like" here. It is for the second half of your comment about the great relationship with her dad.

Your poor roomate. 😢 

I do feel the need to "stick up" for period underwear. At least from the company 4period on Amazon. They are fantastic and do absorb a lot, in my experience.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

Awkward tmi, but I can’t wear tampons because they don’t work. Like, the blood just goes around the tampon and never gets absorbed.  Some pads, as well.  Too thick?  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

The older I get, the less-effective I find them to be. (Maybe combo of heavier cycle/clotting and...roomier internal anatomy?) 😳😳

I'm thinking of making the transition to cups, maybe. Oldest DD is thinking of taking the plunge with me. Fun times ahead, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ailaena said:

Some expand differently than others. Might be worth trying some different brands? Regular tampax only expand side to side, vs 360 degree expansion that some have. 

• Like 2

My younger daughter started her period when she was 9 and definitely not ready for tampons.  She still doesn't want to use them at almost 14.  She has period underwear and period swimsuits and both work very well for her despite fairly heavy flow.   She's never had a problem with leaks wearing either one.  She does usually wear swim shorts over the period swimsuit because that's her preferred style and period swimwear seems to only come in briefs. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wheres Toto said:

My younger daughter started her period when she was 9 and definitely not ready for tampons.  She still doesn't want to use them at almost 14.  She has period underwear and period swimsuits and both work very well for her despite fairly heavy flow.   She's never had a problem with leaks wearing either one.  She does usually wear swim shorts over the period swimsuit because that's her preferred style and period swimwear seems to only come in briefs. 

Which brand of period swimsuit does she have? DD11 could start at any time, and as we live in Florida...I'd like to order her one. 

24 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Which brand of period swimsuit does she have? DD11 could start at any time, and as we live in Florida...I'd like to order her one. 

I'm not sure.  I just looked for a tag and didn't see one.  She sometimes wears her period underwear as a bathing suit (with swimsuit shorts over it) and those she has Hesta, Neione and Bambody.   I thought her bathing suit was Thinx but I don't see suits on their website. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I'm not sure.  I just looked for a tag and didn't see one.  She sometimes wears her period underwear as a bathing suit (with swimsuit shorts over it) and those she has Hesta, Neione and Bambody.   I thought her bathing suit was Thinx but I don't see suits on their website. 

Was it RubyLove? 

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

The older I get, the less-effective I find them to be. (Maybe combo of heavier cycle/clotting and...roomier internal anatomy?) 😳😳

I'm thinking of making the transition to cups, maybe. Oldest DD is thinking of taking the plunge with me. Fun times ahead, lol. 

I love my Lunette! I have a very heavy flow thr first two days (and nights), and the cup makes life livable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Was it RubyLove? 

Maybe?   We bought her underwear through Amazon but I know the swimsuit was directly from a site, and I know it was a site that had smaller sizing for tweens/teens.  

ETA:  It was almost 5 years ago so it was when they were still a fairly new thing.

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, stripe said:

Same

I'm intrigued by the idea of period swimwear, but I'm failing to understand the physics of how it could possibly work.

I've looked at some reviews and merchant websites.  All talk about an absorbant layer.  Wouldn't this be saturated with pool water almost immediately?

(I know that swim diapers don't absorb urine.  They catch solids, and the urine passes into the pool.  I can't see how period swimwear would work any differently?)

• Like 3

Another thing is that I am kind of under the impression that there actually is less bleeding while in the water. I was looking at some period swimwear’s webpage and it even referenced this, and linked to this article, which says,

“Something else worth noting is that when you’re actually in the water, the pressure from the water can have the effect of stopping your period from flowing.“

Which makes me feel like this may be doing less than it claims to, between this and the limited flow in a few hours that may just disperse in the water and therefore it seems to be working.

• Like 1