Menu

Reading glasses?

ktgrok

Ok, I admit it, I need them. It is no longer a matter of "if I squint hard it is fine". Especially at night. I have avoided them for years by reading exclusively on my kindle or the kindle app, to be able to increase font size, but that doesn't work on say, the dosage/directions on a bottle of medication. Sigh. 

I bought a few pairs over the last few years - ones from walmart or wherever. But after a short amount of time they seem cloudy - like the lenses don't stay very clear. I tried cleaning them, but still an issue. So then, I either see things as cloudy but big or too small to read by clear. 

Are there reading glasses brands that are OTC, not super expensive, but are actually decent quality? Or do you just replace them frequently? Am I crazy thinking the lenses are not staying clear?

Everyone I know who wears reading glasses swears that the ones at the Dollar Tree are as good as any others, and you can buy multiple pairs for the price of one at WalMart.  So maybe try those so at least you aren’t spending lots of money at least?

I get the 3-pack at Costco. I probably have 8 pairs lying around somewhere to increase the chance that I'll always be able to find a pair. I've had pairs where the lenses have gotten scratched (I learned that I need to keep the pair in my purse in a case), but they're cheap enough that I can buy a new set from time to time without breaking the bank. And lenses get cloudy but I can usually clean them well enough to still be usable.

• Like 2

I got a pair of the blue light Peepers. But one of the screws came out (not unusual). Company sent me several for free. Replaced screw, with a month temple piece broke. After paying $25 for the pair and they lasted less than six months with no abuse? Not paying that again. 

I don't like the cheap dollar tree glasses. To me, the lenses are not as good as the higher priced ones. I get mine at Drug Emporium now - a pair usually runs about $10 - but I like the spring temples which are a little more pricey. I have a pair for the main living part of the house, one for my bathroom, one for my purse, and one in the car. When I lose one pair (they are all different colors), I track the lost pair down immediately. When I had multiple pairs, I had trouble finding any single one when I needed it!

I haven't had a problem with any of these getting scratches (car pair is in a fabric/foam holder, purse pair is in a fabric pocket for glasses), nor have I had a problem with the lenses getting cloudy. I do have a microfiber glass wipe that I use regularly to clean them. 

Non-dimestore glasses are all huge ripoffs due to a near monopoly in the spectacle industry (that should provoke an anti-trust action IMO), but as we have "vision" coverage I get new reading glasses for about $30 every other year.

I'm also in the 5% of people who insists on "glass" lenses. It involves a huge discussion and "pushback" every single time, including the provider openly questioning is these are still available combined with heavy pressure to go plastic. I dig in.

Glass is far (far) superior optically. Glass gives a "snap" to images that plastic lacks and the color rendition is correct. And glass is more scratch resistant.

The downside is glass is heavier. 

My 2 cents.

Bill

12 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Non-dimestore glasses are all huge ripoffs due to a near monopoly in the spectacle industry (that should provoke an anti-trust action IMO), but as we have "vision" coverage I get new reading glasses for about $30 every other year.

I'm also in the 5% of people who insists on "glass" lenses. It involves a huge discussion and "pushback" every single time, including the provider openly questioning is these are still available combined with heavy pressure to go plastic. I dig in.

Glass is far (far) superior optically. Glass gives a "snap" to images that plastic lacks and the color rendition is correct. And glass is more scratch resistant.

The downside is glass is heavier. 

My 2 cents.

Bill

I do have insurance, but for one pair a year, and as I haven't replaced my regular glasses in um...forever...I need to use that coverage for those. I had been using it for contacts, but now I get Hubble contacts for $30 a month and so I will use the insurance money for new glasses. Next year I could use it for reading glasses....

You can buy higher quality reading glasses at places like Zenni. I get mine made by prescription because I think the quality is better and they have the blue light filter on them (the filter that doesn't flash blue on the lens).  I don't like drug store reading glasses; my eyes get tired faster in them. 

1 hour ago, SKL said:

I don't have this particular problem with any reading glasses.  What are you cleaning them with?  Dish soap and water seem to work best for me.

Nothing, really. I Will just set them on the counter, forget about them, a month later need to read a medicne bottle, and they are not as clear. I clean with water and whatever, but same. My regular glasses, from Target or somewhere, that are prescription, I've had for many years without this problem. It has to be something about the type of material.