Menu

I think I want to learn Koine Greek...

WildflowerMom

I love this program and have used it generously to refresh my Bible College level of Greek learning.

https://www.biblicallanguagecenter.com/

(I have: Living Koine Greek, Complete Introduction Set (Parts 1, 2a & 2b) in paper form, which I bought over 10 years ago.)

If your goal is to *read* the New Testament, like, just sit down and read it -- that will be a lot of work. I'm the kind of person who can work through a passage with a dictionary (or digital resources) and come up with a full understanding of a verse with a few minutes of work. I also work very well with an interlinear translated Bible, I consider that a 'Bible College' level of learning, and I'm content with it. The people who could just up-and-read the NT text were my seminary professors... so... I admire that, but I don't want to take things quite that far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Hey Andrew for 5 years with the kids. Black is highly recommend by someone I respect, and there are online lessons somewhere. I've always wanted to do this workbook but I don't really have the English grammar background for it. Before you do anything I would download an app for the alphabet and MASTER it. Seriously. And read this to see what you're getting into, and this to get your feet wet.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Slache said:

I've been using Hey Andrew for 5 years with the kids. Black is highly recommend by someone I respect, and there are online lessons somewhere. I've always wanted to do this workbook but I don't really have the English grammar background for it. Before you do anything I would download an app for the alphabet and MASTER it. Seriously. And read this to see what you're getting into, and this to get your feet wet.

Thanks Slache, this is very helpful! 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 9:40 AM, WildflowerMom said:

Good resources for a 40+ year-old with brain fog?    
My goal is to read the New Testament in its original language. 

Am I crazy for wanting to do this?   Be honest...  

I second bolt's recommendation and also suggest you look into other "living Greek" type programs, of which there are now several online - eg, Polis, TelepaideiaSeumas Macdonald's courses. If you really want to read the NT, not laboriously translate it, I think this approach is the best way to get there, but it will take some work, and the structure and support of a well-designed course can really help you stay motivated. I've taken two Polis courses - one in person and one online. After completing the Polis Level 1 course in person, I was able to read the first couple of chapters of John with minimal support - and it really felt like reading, not converting to English in my head. At the end of the second course, we were reading bits of the Septuagint. 

• Thanks 1

This thread makes me smile, and think of my relative.  He wanted to read for himself as well.  He ended up doing his own translation (Septuagint) and publishing it.  Maybe you will do the same!  Then someday far in the future a thread like this will make your distant relatives smile, too.

I don’t know if my relative’s is still in print.  Possibly, as there is a church that uses it exclusively, but I’m fuzzy on those details.  My aunt has one of the first published, very old, and I have one of the more recent publishings.

• Like 1

DH and I learned using Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek, then there's another book we did after that but I'm blanking on the name (same series, but I think the author is different). It was great and very accessible. The best thing for ME, though, was that we did it with a group of people who all wanted to learn. There were 5 of us total, and we met weekly for 2 years. Even if you can get just one friend who's also interested to learn alongside you, that accountability is very helpful, along with the chance to discuss the different ways you approached translations.

• Thanks 1