Menu

CIM (Cleveland Institute of Music) and Case Western

Roadrunner

They have a dual degree program. Normally I wouldn’t want one of those, but THE TEACHER is at CIM, and this kid wants a double major. 
I know this is a long shot, but does anybody know anything about this program or what is a general vibe at CIM? It seems so perfect at glance for my kid. Almost too perfect. 

Edited by Roadrunner

• Roadrunner changed the title to CIM (Cleveland Institute of Music) and Case Western
3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

They have a dual degree program. Normally I wouldn’t want one of those, but THE TEACHER is at CIM, and this kid wants a double major. 
I know this is a long shot, but does anybody know anything about this program or what is a general vibe at CIM? It seems so perfect at glance for my kid. Almost too perfect. 

I know nothing about this program, but I have been on the CWR campus and have friends who have lived/ live in Cleveland. It's an interesting campus. I would say that lake effect snow is a real thing to keep in mind. :-) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

I know nothing about this program, but I have been on the CWR campus and have friends who have lived/ live in Cleveland. It's an interesting campus. I would say that lake effect snow is a real thing to keep in mind. 🙂

Please explain this CA girl 😂

What do you mean by “interesting campus”? 

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

Please explain this CA girl 😂

What do you mean by “interesting campus”? 

The difference is snowfall across the city of Cleveland can differ by many inches depending on how the weather system comes off the lake. So (spit-balling here...) the east suburbs can get 6 inches and the west suburbs can get 10-12 inches. In one storm. They are used to dealing with that much snow, but it is a real consideration for someone who is used to mostly-temperate weather. Sub-zero temps and wind chills can happen there, too, with some regularity. (I say buy a good coat and boots if the fit is otherwise good).

I think CWR is interesting because there is a pretty good art museum right there with the campus. And then there is this building:

peter b. lewis building at DuckDuckGo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

The difference is snowfall across the city of Cleveland can differ by many inches depending on how the weather system comes off the lake. So (spit-balling here...) the east suburbs can get 6 inches and the west suburbs can get 10-12 inches. In one storm. They are used to dealing with that much snow, but it is a real consideration for someone who is used to mostly-temperate weather. Sub-zero temps and wind chills can happen there, too, with some regularity. (I say buy a good coat and boots if the fit is otherwise good).

I think CWR is interesting because there is a pretty good art museum right there with the campus. And then there is this building:

peter b. lewis building at DuckDuckGo

What do you think of CWR in general from academic perspective? How would you place them in relation to Purdue or Rose Hulman? 

I think they are similarly rigorous to Rose and to some schools/majors at Purdue, although I think they are more selective in their admissions. They "feel" more east coast leaning than some Ohio schools.

They don't offer a lot of merit aid.  

I haven't dug in too much- my dd won't look at it even though NASA Glenn is in Cleveland. One of her adult brothers spends a lot of time in Cleveland for biomedical training stuff and keeps calling it "The Mistake on the Lake." Sigh. 

ETA: I really hope you get replies with more info than I can provide!

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

I know nothing about this program, but I have been on the CWR campus and have friends who have lived/ live in Cleveland. It's an interesting campus. I would say that lake effect snow is a real thing to keep in mind. 🙂

DH and I met at CWRU many years ago.  He's a computer engineer.  We live about an hour away from there now and I had hoped one of my kids would attend, but none wanted to.  I grew up in FL and had never seen snow before my freshman year at CWRU.  The weather is definitely something to keep in mind.  Winters are so long.  It's a great school, though.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

I haven't dug in too much- my dd won't look at it even though NASA Glenn is in Cleveland. One of her adult brothers spends a lot of time in Cleveland for biomedical training stuff and keeps calling it "The Mistake on the Lake." Sigh. 

Cleveland is such a fabulous city with so much to do!  It has everything.  Sports, fantastic museums, Playhouse Square, the Cleveland Orchestra....it's amazing.  

• Like 1

I don't know anything in particular about CIM, my kid didn't apply there. But my kid did apply to a number of dual degree programs with one of the degrees being music.  And I what  I will say is a fair number of music teachers/departments we met with gave off the vibe either directly or indirectly they didn't love dual degree programs. I definitely got the feel some music teachers if given the choice of similar students, one coming in dual degree and one coming in straight music focused they would pick the straight music student.   That doesn't mean students aren't doing dual degree or can't do dual degree.  I think if you're an unusual musician with  a more unique profile for the institution and/or less competitive audition process for your instrument that can make a difference too.  I'd just say ask some pretty direct questions about how many kids come in doing dual degree and how many complete.  Ask teachers about it directly during sample lessons and gauge their enthusiasm.   A fair number of students we talked to who were doing dual degree added it on after arriving on a campus. 

My kid's college process revealed some surprises about which colleges/teachers were really happy to have a dual degree student.  We definitely got this vibe at some schools that very enthusiastically advertised dual degree options. I think it can even be hit or miss with different teachers in the same department.   And yes, my kid is a rising college junior still doing dual degree (vocal performance/computer science).   

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are a well-respected school, and are strong in the sciences/STEM and humanities. I have actually heard they have decent merit, though maybe you have to be a top candidate to be eligible. Have you looked at Eastman/Rochester? Very similar school to CWU, even with regards to weather, lol. The nice thing about Rochester is its open curriculum, so lots of students find it easy to double major, and I think it's particularly well suited for homeschooled grads. My D loved her year there before they shafted her on her need-based aid and she had to transfer. 😕

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

They are a well-respected school, and are strong in the sciences/STEM and humanities. I have actually heard they have decent merit, though maybe you have to be a top candidate to be eligible. Have you looked at Eastman/Rochester? Very similar school to CWU, even with regards to weather, lol. The nice thing about Rochester is its open curriculum, so lots of students find it easy to double major, and I think it's particularly well suited for homeschooled grads. My D loved her year there before they shafted her on her need-based aid and she had to transfer. 😕

CIM so far is the only conservatory on the list since the teacher we want is there.   He will apply to universities though where he can double major or major/minor.  I am trying to avoid  dual degree programs, but this one is on the list only because of the teacher. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

CIM so far is the only conservatory on the list since the teacher we want is there.   He will apply to universities though where he can double major or major/minor.  I am trying to avoid  dual degree programs, but this one is on the list only because of the teacher. 

Oh if you know the teacher  you are  interested in that is huge and my blurb won't apply!  One thing I would say about the whole music process is teacher fit is way  more important than name or prestige of particular institutions.  Having a relationship with a teacher ahead of time is a big dal.  After deep diving and comparing teachers directly, the music program rankings didn't make much sense to me  at all.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Oh if you know the teacher  you are  interested in that is huge and my blurb won't apply!  One thing I would say about the whole music process is teacher fit is way  more important than name or prestige of particular institutions.  Having a relationship with a teacher ahead of time is a big dal.  After deep diving and comparing teachers directly, the music program rankings didn't make much sense to me  at all.  

Yes, it’s all about the teacher. 

We are planning on a bunch of summer festivals to widen his exposure to other teachers as well. I am somewhat glad I am starting this process early in his high school. 

• Like 2

My dh went to CWRU for his MBA when we were first married, and we lived up the hill in Cleveland Heights.  It is just a *wonderful* area. So much to do, and so beautiful. For a downtown school it has a surprising amount of park nearby and MLK Ave was done up when we were there 25 years ago and is lovely. The train is right in the middle of campus, so you can easily get downtown or even out to the burbs on the West side. At least when we were there, one of the best things about the area was that there were no box stores. Because the city was already so dense when the interstate system was built, there was no way to build a highway through the middle of the east side of Cleveland. This means no highway, no parking, no box stores, and thus all the little stores were still in existence.  I wonder if that is still true today. It made for a lovely community.

As for the winters and snow, I never had any trouble and I grew up in Georgia. Just get a big coat and boots! 

• Like 3

I have a kid who graduated from CWRU. It's an excellent school and he went right into an amazing, high paying job. Case is known as an engineering school and music is the most common minor! Also, CIM has a wonderful reputation and is literally right next to the home of the Cleveland Orchestra and in the University Circle area (art museum, botanical gardens, natural history museum, and more). 

Cleveland weather is very similar to Chicago weather. It gets cold and snowy and there is some lake effect, but they are used to dealing with that. It's definitely a campus you should visit, maybe once in the summer and again in the winter if possible.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a really good herpetologist there. Like some of the other engineering focused schools we looked at, though, it would have put L at the mercy of one faculty member choosing to stay there vs moving on, because there just wasn't a lot of depth in the program. I do think it's a nice school, and CIM has a great reputation as well.

One thing to look at on dual degrees between two schools-make very sure you're not stuck having to pay tuition to both separately, as opposed to a reciprocity agreement where you can take classes at both, but pay tuition to your primary campus only. Otherwise, it can get very complicated-and sometimes cause trouble with financial aid if you end up below a full time load at each school separately. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know about the program that you mentioned, but a neighbor of mine went to the Columbia/Juilliard dual degree program last year. She had to be accepted into both in order to do that program. Her parents say that she is able to manage her course load well and that her experience there is good. So, that is something that you can look into as well (along with the Oberlin/Caltech program).

On 5/30/2021 at 3:44 PM, Roadrunner said:

Oops, sorry, I missed that bit of information. 

15 hours ago, Harpymom said:

It's all about the teacher, and hopefully your DS will also love the school!  My DD did a sample lesson at CIM with "the teacher" even though she wasn't applying there because "the teacher" teaches at Oberlin as well. My quirky DD felt very out of place there (she fit right in at Oberlin) and we marveled at the difference between the recital posters at each of them - the CIM posters were very professional, all the same and probably made by the department, the Oberlin ones were... you know, quirky. DD's impression of CIM is that the CIM students are trained to sound like the Cleveland Orchestra: perfect, with that one particular sound.  

This is gold. He will fit right in. 🙂 He is most definitely not quirky at all. 
I don’t mean to say he is one dimensional, but certainly an old fashioned tradition would be a better place than a new age vibe for this kid. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 4