Menu

Pretty sure I just earned another degree

DawnM

15 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I had to put together an IKEA bed.

Congratulate me.

that is all.

My daughter and I still laugh about the time a few years ago when she was moving and the guys left the us putting the Ikea bed together.  We both like written directions; those picture directions just didn't work for either of us!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Why are the Ikea beds so much harder than nearly all other Ikea items? I'm serious. Everything else it's like, pop, bang, allen wrench here there everywhere, and you have furniture. The beds are an ordeal.

Last summer, our 2 younger kids got IKEA beds. The one with a headboard was a real pain to put together, the other without a headboard was just click and go. DD had the headboard one and had problems making her bed because the slats would fall off. She's buying another one after she moves and it will be the click and go. It was so much easier to set up!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

Last summer, our 2 younger kids got IKEA beds. The one with a headboard was a real pain to put together, the other without a headboard was just click and go. DD had the headboard one and had problems making her bed because the slats would fall off. She's buying another one after she moves and it will be the click and go. It was so much easier to set up!

We got our youngest the Kura bed.   He is so excited to have a loft and play fort underneath, but man was it a pain to put together.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DawnM said:

I had to put together an IKEA bed.

My husband with a PhD in electrical engineering cannot understand IKEA instructions. We joke he only understands nanoparticles. He is also bad at cooking instant noodles 🤦🏻‍♀️

Edited by Arcadia
Grammar
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, JanOH said:

We both like written directions; those picture directions just didn't work for either of us!

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/customer-service/services/assembly/
“TaskRabbit Assembly Service

Our products are designed to be assembled by you. That way, you’ll save the most money. However, we've partnered with TaskRabbit to connect you with a network of independent ‘Taskers’ who can provide assembly services, same day. Taskers can provide services as soon as the next day for your IKEA purchases made online and in stores. “

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/customer-service/services/assembly/
“TaskRabbit Assembly Service

Our products are designed to be assembled by you. That way, you’ll save the most money. However, we've partnered with TaskRabbit to connect you with a network of independent ‘Taskers’ who can provide assembly services, same day. Taskers can provide services as soon as the next day for your IKEA purchases made online and in stores. “

I'm way to stubborn to actually hire someone else to do it.  I'll just struggle and then complain 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I love assembling Ikea furniture.  The pictures make perfect sense to me and it's a job I can do that STAYS done.  I'm that friend that will come assemble your Flukka for you. 😆

You are not well.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I love assembling Ikea furniture.  The pictures make perfect sense to me and it's a job I can do that STAYS done.  I'm that friend that will come assemble your Flukka for you. 😆

Chapter 4, page 89 to 181 mechanical aptitude and spatial relations test questions and answers 

https://booklearning3.tripod.com/Mechanical_Spatial.pdf

• Like 1

If you earned a degree, I totally flunked out based on a Hemnes dresser several years ago. Malm 3 drawer—I got a solid C. Hemnes nightstands—A+. But that Hemnes dresser was worth way more credit hours, and I failed miserably. Totally offset the A+ on the low credit hours night stands. 

I had to call in the mechanical/civil engineer husband to fix the dresser. No degree for me! 😂

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My degree is in civil engineering and I play with my kids’ Legos more than they do 😂

Ok sorry not sorry. I have created some lego masterpieces back in the day, and that in no way equates to the horror of the Hemnes dresser. If I had creative freedom with the Hemnes dresser as one has with Legos, I would have earned that degree. I could have created a work of art. 😂 But alas there is no creative license with IKEA. 

I’m picturing that half assembled dresser rn in an art museum exhibit.  It was worthy. To be contemplated. The universal struggle of the human race in the unfinished Hemnes dresser.

eta my dh civil/ME was never in to Lego! Weird. 

Edited by popmom
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Chapter 4, page 89 to 181 mechanical aptitude and spatial relations test questions and answers 

https://booklearning3.tripod.com/Mechanical_Spatial.pdf

I'm absolutely going to read this.  I squinted and read part of it on my phone.  I can't move it to my tablet yet because if I take it off airplane mode the library will take my overdue book back and I'm not finished yet.  😆 There are definite limits to my mechanical prowess.  I'm comfortable with tools and building basic things . . . even pulleys make sense, but once you get into gears, springs, and motors there's a learning curve I've never had good reason to hurdle.  I LOVE watching people build stuff on youtube.  It's probably more of a basic carpentry interest than any real mechanical engineering aptitude.  I'm very motivated by practical application but the price of wood lately has me firmly in the planning-only stage for any projects I want to do.

8 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I also love it. I call it grown up Legos ☺️

I used to watch videos of Love Sac's "sactional" furniture all the time.  It's the legos of furniture and I love the idea of not having to choose a single configuration for life.  I also love to watch any kind of convertible furniture in action, like the shelves that turn into a table or benches that convert to picnic tables.  

• Like 3

I searched the forum to see if anyone had the Hemnes dresser. I guess I won’t be buying that.

I have successfully assembled two of their bunk beds, Billy bookcases, a desk and (the worst) their filing cabinet, along with a few other things. I usually don’t mind assembling stuff, but I had to take a break and let my VERY YOUNG child finish the filing cabinet for me. At least I have trained him well.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Me too.

• Like 1