Menu

Freezer food for an expectant couple to eat before the baby

Drama Llama

My SIL’s baby is due in a month! So exciting!  

They just bought a new house and are going to leave their other kids with their grandfather for a few weeks so they can nest and have a little babymoon.

I’d like to send some meals for them, because neither of them  loves to cook, and she’s tired. 

Thoughts on what to send?  

A neighbor of mine, who was also a close friend, made me baked spaghetti throughout my entire twin pregnancy.  For the first half of the pregnancy, it was about the only food I could keep down.  She brought me a full casserole dish at least once a week.  After my twins were born, I sent her a thank you from my babies for taking good care of them.  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

Do they like Indian food ?

I usually make flat breads that can be easily frozen and give a variety of options as far as usage is concerned. 

One of my eternal favorite foods during pregnancy was something called Kichidi. It can be made in various ways, the version I like has rice, lentils and vegetables. Hearty, comforting, surprisingly light and nutritionally dense. 

I usually also make what is called a "dry fry" of goat or chicken. It can be included as a side dish or in wraps.

Chicken soup.

Chicken curry.

Bread. 

Recipes?

I was thinking of sending dal and she could eat it over rice, but kichidi if I can make and freeze the whole thing might be better.

She's not liking things that are spicy or acidic right now.  

At the late stages of pregnancy, I always appreciated mild food because it just felt like my kids had their feet in my stomach using it for a punching bag. So not too spicy/hot was the key.

Chicken shwarma and rice can be frozen and is tasty with lentil soup which also freezes well.

I love turkey and wild rice soup with leeks, celery, and mushrooms.

• Thanks 1

Fruit slushies!  Blend lemonade or limeade with frozen fruit and then freeze in quart size freezer bags. To serve, set out at room temperature until partially thawed, squish the bag a bit, and pour into a glass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meals AND babysitters for WEEKS? With all my heart and soul I want to BE this woman. This would be better than being a celebrity. I think when I had my kids, a baby moon meant something different, nobody had heard of push presents, and Pinterest wasn’t a thing. I demand a do-over! (I’m lying.  I do NOT demand a do-over.)

Pioneer Woman’s meatloaf freezes well. I’ve divided into three loaves before because the recipe is insanely large. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Meals AND babysitters for WEEKS? With all my heart and soul I want to BE this woman. This would be better than being a celebrity. I think when I had my kids, a baby moon meant something different, nobody had heard of push presents, and Pinterest wasn’t a thing. I demand a do-over! (I’m lying.  I do NOT demand a do-over.)

Pioneer Woman’s meatloaf freezes well. I’ve divided into three loaves before because the recipe is insanely large. 

What did baby moon mean then?  I think of it as a trip that you take when you're pregnant to get away and relax.  Not that i've ever done such a thing, but I have this vague idea that people richer than me do.  But, there's a pandemic, so instead of them going somewhere, we're taking the kids.  

They've been parenting 3 kids, homeschooling, and working from home since the fall, so I'm glad they'll get a little rest. 

3 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

What did baby moon mean then?  I think of it as a trip that you take when you're pregnant to get away and relax.  Not that i've ever done such a thing, but I have this vague idea that people richer than me do.  But, there's a pandemic, so instead of them going somewhere, we're taking the kids.  

They've been parenting 3 kids, homeschooling, and working from home since the fall, so I'm glad they'll get a little rest. 

It was that time you holed up with just your spouse and baby to bond for a few weeks before you allowed visitors. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

It was that time you holed up with just your spouse and baby to bond for a few weeks before you allowed visitors. 

That sounds delightful and like it was designed by someone who hasn’t met DH’s family.  They are all about the togetherness.  

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

My SIL’s baby is due in a month! So exciting!  

They just bought a new house and are going to leave their other kids with their grandfather for a few weeks so they can nest and have a little babymoon.

I’d like to send some meals for them, because neither of them  loves to cook, and she’s tired. 

Thoughts on what to send?  

So are the kids going to grandpa BEFORE or AFTER the baby is born?

i thought a babymoon was for AFTER the baby was born, to spend time bonding with the new baby at home with limited interruptions and outside “influences” LOL

i guess it has changed to taking a vacation before the baby is born. 

• Like 1

Just now, pinball said:

So are the kids going to grandpa BEFORE or AFTER the baby is born?

i thought a babymoon was for AFTER the baby was born, to spend time bonding with the new baby at home with limited interruptions and outside “influences” LOL

i guess it has changed to taking a vacation before the baby is born. 

They've been living with Gpa, and are moving into the new house.  Parents are moving first, and the kids will stay with Gpa a few extra weeks.  Then kids will move in, hopefully timed shortly before baby is born, but will come back to us each day for swim team and to spend the day with their cousins.

Kids are kinda selective eaters, so when they go back, we'll stock the freezer again with the stuff they like to eat, and one handed things for a nursing mom to eat, and such.  So, this is just food for Mom and Dad to eat by their lonesomes.