Menu

I have taken a summer school position

DawnM

I got an email yesterday asking if I would consider working with Elem. students for 24 days in the summer.   Summer school goes for 6 weeks, only 4 days per week, with a week break in-between (so 3 weeks and 3 weeks with a break in between.)

I was going to say no, but then realized I don 't have the elem. experience I would like to have and this is an easy way to get it without fully committing, and allow me to see if I even like it.

So, an extra 1.5 paychecks for the year and some elem. experience in a new, fresh environment.   

Now to find some Elem. counseling curriculum to use.

• Like 33

Go for it and enjoy! 

For teachers trying to get their foot in the door, this summer may be a chance that won't come around again. Districts in our region are having a hard time staffing summer school because their teachers desperately need to recharge this summer and didn't apply. My district couldn't staff elementary summer school and is doing MS and HS partly online. Also there are math and reading intervention jobs opening up for fall because a lot of money is being pumped in to get kids caught up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pippen said:

Go for it and enjoy! 

For teachers trying to get their foot in the door, this summer may be a chance that won't come around again. Districts in our region are having a hard time staffing summer school because their teachers desperately need to recharge this summer and didn't apply. My district couldn't staff elementary summer school and is doing MS and HS partly online. Also there are math and reading intervention jobs opening up for fall because a lot of money is being pumped in to get kids caught up.

Yes!! I considered teaching summer school, but I really need a break. We have to be back Aug 2, so we only get 2 months off as it is. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pippen said:

Go for it and enjoy! 

I have heard both sides.....some have jumped on it for extra $$ and others have said NO WAY.

I feel like a change of pace will be a welcomed experience AND I still will get about 5 full weeks off, so I can work with that.   And I am hoping that maybe something different will open up for me for next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pippen said:

Go for it and enjoy! 

Exactly.  We have the same thing here. Many opening.

Dawn, this is a great opportunity for you.  Summer school is often laid back and a lot more fun....and less paperwork.

• Like 1

Right there with you! I'm credentialed, but my school year job is a high school educational assistant supporting math classes. We actually have too many math teachers so I don't have much hope of being able to teach until someone decides to retire at this school. But I'm teaching the summer credit recovery classes. It's lucrative for me since I'll be paid as a teacher instead of an EA.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Right there with you! I'm credentialed, but my school year job is a high school educational assistant supporting math classes. We actually have too many math teachers so I don't have much hope of being able to teach until someone decides to retire at this school. But I'm teaching the summer credit recovery classes. It's lucrative for me since I'll be paid as a teacher instead of an EA.

Wow, I am surprised.   You could come here, we need more math people.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 11:16 AM, Ottakee said:

Exactly.  We have the same thing here. Many opening.

Dawn, this is a great opportunity for you.  Summer school is often laid back and a lot more fun....and less paperwork.

I am hoping it will be a lot less!  No 504s to do or testing and since there are no grades/tests, I am hoping I don't have to deal with 504 stuff at all, but I assume there will be some I need to review for accommodations. 

I am starting to look up some fun classroom lessons for Elem counselors that will allow me to visit classes and get to know some kids.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

I'm a bit confused -- what is "summer school" where you are? What is the function of summer school for elementary students? 

For us, summer school is only for high school students -- mostly those who have failed a class, or maybe a few other situations. I'm having trouble imagining what sort of elementary school student would need summer school or what they are expected to get out of it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bolt. said:

I'm a bit confused -- what is "summer school" where you are? What is the function of summer school for elementary students? 

For us, summer school is only for high school students -- mostly those who have failed a class, or maybe a few other situations. I'm having trouble imagining what sort of elementary school student would need summer school or what they are expected to get out of it.

In the case of special ed students for whom such a long break would result in regression, most districts around here offer ESY (Extended School Year.) My son will attend ESY this year for four weeks in July-early August. 

There is also regular summer school offered to students in all grades who are at risk of falling behind academically. They have to be referred by a teacher but there is no charge to parents. It's usually more laid back and just a half day for 4-6 weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the reasons that I like elementary summer school was that it was more relaxed than the regular school year. One the other hand, I discovered that i needed the summer break to relax and get ready for the coming school year. The school year following the summer i worked was extremely difficult for me mentally and emotionally. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DawnM said:

I got an email yesterday asking if I would consider working with Elem. students for 24 days in the summer.   Summer school goes for 6 weeks, only 4 days per week, with a week break in-between (so 3 weeks and 3 weeks with a break in between.)

I was going to say no, but then realized I don 't have the elem. experience I would like to have and this is an easy way to get it without fully committing, and allow me to see if I even like it.

So, an extra 1.5 paychecks for the year and some elem. experience in a new, fresh environment.   

Now to find some Elem. counseling curriculum to use.

Sounds really fun and a perfect starter-experience to see if you like it. And then there's the money. Always good.

Have fun!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pippen said:

Go for it and enjoy! 

Our district is having a really hard time getting summer school teachers at all levels. They're paying big bonuses on top of the regular summer school pay and still can't get enough. The teachers who usually do it are like, "nope, need a break." 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bolt. said:

This year they are having "closing the gaps" summer school for all levels. To help kids that fell behind because of the lockdown/virtual school. Every year they have some sort of reading classes available in the summer to help kids that need more systemized help in learning to read.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bolt. said:

Here, it's offered to elementary students who are below grade level in reading or math.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

Have you used Super Flex before? It's a good one!

I have not.   I will take a look.

I did find a free SEL (Social Emotional Learning) program online that is new called the Choose Love Movement with lessons for K-12, formed by an initiative for Jesse Lewis, one of the boys who died in Sandy Hook.

https://chooselovemovement.org

• Like 1