Menu

June Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

Not a lot going on.

Landed some good apts that work with our schedule so well.  So I am happy about that.

A house in our neighborhood sold for a crazy amount.  About 180k more than what they bought it for in 2010 - 2012.  I am so scared what this is going to do to our taxes.  I so hate being an adult.    I just want to be on vacation and not dealing with the realities of being an adult.  Anyone else???

• Like 2

Anyone still here?

Spent about another $30 bucks on plants for the veggie and fruit garden.   Fun for the kids.  We are close to getting some peppers and tomatoes.

Picked up grocery order.  

Fail-left eggs in the car over night.   😞 

3 Dentist apts today.   Only $55 out of pocket for my new night guard, everything else was covered.  We always make good use of our dental insurance when we go.  It frugally killed me last year to not go and use what we were paying for.

4th kid getting sent to ortho.  We have that next month.  It would be expensive to have them all in at the same time, but it would be nice to not have 4 sets of apts.  I am sure it isn't going to work that way.

Had to spend $1 to put air in the tires because both free pumps in our town were broken.   ARGH

Decided what we are going to do with the CTC $.

Looking and deciding what vacation to go on for the rest of the summer.  I would like to do a few more.   I can't believe it is almost July.  😞    I don't want school to start.

Started Christmas shopping for the kids a bit.  Buying things and putting it away.  Actually had a few months ago.  I don't do toys or big gifts since my older 4 will change their minds a million times.  

Our pool that we got last year is leaking in a ton of places.  BOOOO   We bought one of those blow up Intex ones for more than retail.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

Medical: Hospital lowered amount due for Oldest's testing done back in May. So, we owe a little over $400 instead of a little over $1000. I'm good with that. We all went to the eye doctor today. Youngest's broken glasses were still under warranty, but there was a $15 copay for replacing them. The other 3 of us got exams. Less than $50 for all 4 of us - I could use bifocals, but I'll probably hold out for another year. 

Groceries: Did my monthly run to Sam's Club (I save all of the extra from groceries during the weekly trips and go to Sams with it the last weekend of the month). I ended up $3 over my budget for the month. But I was well under in gas, so I covered it with that.

Youngest has a drop-off activity tomorrow - I'm planning on running in to ReStore during that time and seeing if they have any washing machines. Still haven't found quite the one I'm looking for.

Clothing: Middle now has two swimsuits that fit. I have to return the other two tomorrow. She also needs some plain tees for her volunteer job, which I'll just pick up at Walmart for a couple bucks.

School: Did some calculations on Oldest's school plan and she put in an appeal for her scholarship this weekend. She starts her new job on Thursday. We'll look at getting her books in July. Purchased some curriculum that went on sale this morning. I think I'm about ready for the new school year, although I'm a little nervous about how it's going to go with me working mornings. 

Found out I do get paid for 4th of July, so an extra day's pay on that check. Yay!

• Like 3

I'm still here!! Just didn't really use the comp all weekend so just now seeing your post from Friday.  I do not relate to your stress over the realities of being an adult.  But that is likely because I have a very laid back nature and very few things frazzle me.  But I can completely relate to your wanting a vacation.  Not because I'm stressed but because I want a change of scenery.  

Today I spent over $200 on dance stuff dd needed for intensives, ugh.  I'm really not enjoying the expense of dance.  It is easily one of our top budget items at this point.  But the girls enjoy it very much so for now we continue.  

Most of our other spending is at a bare minimum at the moment.  We buy groceries weekly, gas every few weeks, and gifts for summer birthdays but other than that and regular bills we aren't spending money.  We ate out once this month, maybe twice I don't remember for sure because I didn't eat the food.  

Dh and my birthdays are in July so I imagine we'll spend a bit more than in July to celebrate them.  we'll see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Medical: Hospital lowered amount due for Oldest's testing done back in May. So, we owe a little over $400 instead of a little over $1000. I'm good with that. We all went to the eye doctor today. Youngest's broken glasses were still under warranty, but there was a $15 copay for replacing them. The other 3 of us got exams. Less than $50 for all 4 of us - I could use bifocals, but I'll probably hold out for another year. 

Groceries: Did my monthly run to Sam's Club (I save all of the extra from groceries during the weekly trips and go to Sams with it the last weekend of the month). I ended up $3 over my budget for the month. But I was well under in gas, so I covered it with that.

Youngest has a drop-off activity tomorrow - I'm planning on running in to ReStore during that time and seeing if they have any washing machines. Still haven't found quite the one I'm looking for.

Clothing: Middle now has two swimsuits that fit. I have to return the other two tomorrow. She also needs some plain tees for her volunteer job, which I'll just pick up at Walmart for a couple bucks.

School: Did some calculations on Oldest's school plan and she put in an appeal for her scholarship this weekend. She starts her new job on Thursday. We'll look at getting her books in July. Purchased some curriculum that went on sale this morning. I think I'm about ready for the new school year, although I'm a little nervous about how it's going to go with me working mornings. 

Found out I do get paid for 4th of July, so an extra day's pay on that check. Yay!

yay for the extra pay!  You don't have to work that day right?

Ha I was just talking to dh that next place I need to look is getting into the eye doctor for all kids and myself.  I know we get glasses every year and someone (means none of my kids will cop up to it) scratched mine.  Plus I want bigger frames anyway.  I hope that is the last of the doctors.  I have a few more other ones that are on my list I haven't called and figured out.  Doctor apts are my entire summer it feels. 

And I was just looking at some curriculum yesterday.  I have most everything, but I always like to get a few more books. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I'm still here!! Just didn't really use the comp all weekend so just now seeing your post from Friday.  I do not relate to your stress over the realities of being an adult.  But that is likely because I have a very laid back nature and very few things frazzle me.  But I can completely relate to your wanting a vacation.  Not because I'm stressed but because I want a change of scenery.  

Today I spent over $200 on dance stuff dd needed for intensives, ugh.  I'm really not enjoying the expense of dance.  It is easily one of our top budget items at this point.  But the girls enjoy it very much so for now we continue.  

Most of our other spending is at a bare minimum at the moment.  We buy groceries weekly, gas every few weeks, and gifts for summer birthdays but other than that and regular bills we aren't spending money.  We ate out once this month, maybe twice I don't remember for sure because I didn't eat the food.  

Dh and my birthdays are in July so I imagine we'll spend a bit more than in July to celebrate them.  we'll see.

Yeah I am not a laid back person.  I stress out.  Dh is laid back and it drives me nuts.   Share some stress with me.

Are you guys going on vacation this summer?  The change of scenery was SOOOOOOOO nice after Covid and not going anywhere.

Yeah watch out for dance it can grow so fast.  Do you just have 2 kids in dance?  How long have they danced?   We have been in dance for 13 years or so at this point.  But we were in rec dance until  4 years ago.  But since we switched to a ballet school it grew like crazy.  All 5 kids in just the ballet school (they have always danced at more than one place) was more than our mortgage.  Just the monthly fee.  Plus commuting (which was insane for us) leos, tights, shoes, intensives, privates, auditions, shows..............      Dance is our biggest line item in our budget.   It grows every year as they go up in levels, go through shoes faster, and more kids want to do intensives.  I swore I would never be a parent like this and here I am.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

yay for the extra pay!  You don't have to work that day right?

Ha I was just talking to dh that next place I need to look is getting into the eye doctor for all kids and myself.  I know we get glasses every year and someone (means none of my kids will cop up to it) scratched mine.  Plus I want bigger frames anyway.  I hope that is the last of the doctors.  I have a few more other ones that are on my list I haven't called and figured out.  Doctor apts are my entire summer it feels. 

And I was just looking at some curriculum yesterday.  I have most everything, but I always like to get a few more books. 

Yep, no work, but paid. Love that!

I am very sick of doctor appointments as well. At least we're mostly caught up now - just our normal amount of doctors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yeah I am not a laid back person.  I stress out.  Dh is laid back and it drives me nuts.   Share some stress with me.

Are you guys going on vacation this summer?  The change of scenery was SOOOOOOOO nice after Covid and not going anywhere.

Yeah watch out for dance it can grow so fast.  Do you just have 2 kids in dance?  How long have they danced?   We have been in dance for 13 years or so at this point.  But we were in rec dance until  4 years ago.  But since we switched to a ballet school it grew like crazy.  All 5 kids in just the ballet school (they have always danced at more than one place) was more than our mortgage.  Just the monthly fee.  Plus commuting (which was insane for us) leos, tights, shoes, intensives, privates, auditions, shows..............      Dance is our biggest line item in our budget.   It grows every year as they go up in levels, go through shoes faster, and more kids want to do intensives.  I swore I would never be a parent like this and here I am.   

We are going camping for three nights with some of my siblings and their families at the end of July. Nothing else planned yet but I do want to squeeze in at least 2 nights at the beach.

My oldest was in rec for a few years, she just finished up her first year at the dance school. This was my 6 year olds first year in dance entirely and we just decided to start her at the school for convenience sake. None of my boys have any interest. So at most we'll likely only have 3 in dance. 

• Like 3

I'm still here. Tired of extra expenses. Dh is paid tomorrow so I worked on August budget this am. 

I went over on groceries about $60. I went shopping when hungry. I have to be more focused on planning. If I would have worked at it I could have done better but we've been so busy this month it has been neglected.

Dh's check this week isn't that great but his checks for the next 2 months will be very good. I hope to get some put aside in vehicle and medical funds that are getting totally hammered right now.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Soror said:

I'm still here. Tired of extra expenses. Dh is paid tomorrow so I worked on August budget this am. 

I went over on groceries about $60. I went shopping when hungry. I have to be more focused on planning. If I would have worked at it I could have done better but we've been so busy this month it has been neglected.

Dh's check this week isn't that great but his checks for the next 2 months will be very good. I hope to get some put aside in vehicle and medical funds that are getting totally hammered right now.

Here's hoping all of those expenses slow down for you! It's tough when they all seem to come at once.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Here's hoping all of those expenses slow down for you! It's tough when they all seem to come at once.

Thanks, you too!

It is very good dh is making more because we've not had this many expenses in a long time. Usually we'll have a random medical bill here and there. A bad year off and on but this year it has been consistent and unrelenting. Ds having a $260 per month med and then $200-$800 worth of appointments on top of that. I'm very anxious for the new year and switching to the HSA plan since it looks like both of those expenses are here to stay. I need to refigure where we are on the deductible. The medical system in America is broken. If you are unlucky enough to need medical care you are screwed unless you are a very lucky one and have really good insurance. We have decent insurance but high deductible like many people and of course dental is entirely  separate. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Soror said:

Thanks, you too!

It is very good dh is making more because we've not had this many expenses in a long time. Usually we'll have a random medical bill here and there. A bad year off and on but this year it has been consistent and unrelenting. Ds having a $260 per month med and then $200-$800 worth of appointments on top of that. I'm very anxious for the new year and switching to the HSA plan since it looks like both of those expenses are here to stay. I need to refigure where we are on the deductible. The medical system in America is broken. If you are unlucky enough to need medical care you are screwed unless you are a very lucky one and have really good insurance. We have decent insurance but high deductible like many people and of course dental is entirely  separate. 

Yes it is. It really sucks.  That is a lot of extra monthly expenses.  I am sorry.   Being an adult is really hard and it just never seems to stop.  It is one thing or another.  Kid, house, pets, cars, medical.  But yeah the medical system here is disgusting.  I hate it.  I try not to think how much better it is in other countries and how horrible ours is here.  We get totally scammed and taken advantage of.  We pay enough for health insurance that we shouldn't be gutted for doctor apts, medicines, and tests.   Completely sickening.  

The HSA will save you money?   I hope that sometime your medical expenses slow down.  

• Like 1

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Dh got the money back for his class and books, finally.  Took a while since he had to resubmit everything a few times because it wasn't filled out right.

Dh's grandma is dying so he is headed to see her.   A full day road trip.  Sigh.

Glad to hear he got his reimbursement. Awfully sad to hear about his grandma. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Glad to hear he got his reimbursement. Awfully sad to hear about his grandma. 

He is moving up the trip because it isn't looking good.  I don't even know if she will make it for him to get there.  It is his last grandparent, so that is a bit harder.  At least his work is giving him free days to go.  Just sucks as he just got home from a work trip.  I hate when he is gone.

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Dh got the money back for his class and books, finally.  Took a while since he had to resubmit everything a few times because it wasn't filled out right.

Dh's grandma is dying so he is headed to see her.   A full day road trip.  Sigh.

I'm sorry for your dh and family.

I got $10 for opening a Venmo account. I had started to think that it wasn't going to go through, so I mentally shrugged and moved on. I had an email a few weeks ago saying that opening one would deposit $10 in the account. But it was there this morning. 

I completely forgot to pick up school lunches on Monday, but there is a 2 day pickup tomorrow morning, so I'll hit that one. 

Dropping the swimsuits that didn't fit in the mail today on my way home from work. My mom had me order some jeans and a shirt from Christopher and Banks yesterday - they were half off - she'll pay. Just a couple more clothing purchases this summer. 

Oldest is going away for the 4th with a friend; they're going to meet up with her new boss (her friend has worked with him in the past) and go tech shopping for whatever it is she needs. She's pretty happy with her salary, which although slightly lower than she was hoping, is reasonable and her boss has asked for her school schedule so he could set up her work times around tests and such. 

I think I'm ready to start July's budget. Fingers crossed, it should be a better than average month for us. Starting the month off right with DH having overtime due to working last Saturday and holiday pay on the 5th for both of us. Then, we get the CTC for the youngest two on the 15th. 

@Soror I completely understand about the drowning in medical bills. About 31/2 years ago, middle's health went completely haywire. Since then, it's been non-stop, and oldest is now showing many symptoms of the assumed syndrome. Just makes me want to put my head down, close my eyes, and block it all out (or run to Aruba for 3 weeks!). Some days my fears for their future are overwhelming, even if they can be medically stable, how will they afford the bills? But other days, I believe they'll figure it out just like we have. Our medical system is so screwy here - hard to stay stable if you can't afford the medications/therapies to do so. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

I got $10 for opening a Venmo account. I had started to think that it wasn't going to go through, so I mentally shrugged and moved on. I had an email a few weeks ago saying that opening one would deposit $10 in the account. But it was there this morning. 

I completely forgot to pick up school lunches on Monday, but there is a 2 day pickup tomorrow morning, so I'll hit that one. 

Dropping the swimsuits that didn't fit in the mail today on my way home from work. My mom had me order some jeans and a shirt from Christopher and Banks yesterday - they were half off - she'll pay. Just a couple more clothing purchases this summer. 

Oldest is going away for the 4th with a friend; they're going to meet up with her new boss (her friend has worked with him in the past) and go tech shopping for whatever it is she needs. She's pretty happy with her salary, which although slightly lower than she was hoping, is reasonable and her boss has asked for her school schedule so he could set up her work times around tests and such. 

I think I'm ready to start July's budget. Fingers crossed, it should be a better than average month for us. Starting the month off right with DH having overtime due to working last Saturday and holiday pay on the 5th for both of us. Then, we get the CTC for the youngest two on the 15th. 

@Soror I completely understand about the drowning in medical bills. About 31/2 years ago, middle's health went completely haywire. Since then, it's been non-stop, and oldest is now showing many symptoms of the assumed syndrome. Just makes me want to put my head down, close my eyes, and block it all out (or run to Aruba for 3 weeks!). Some days my fears for their future are overwhelming, even if they can be medically stable, how will they afford the bills? But other days, I believe they'll figure it out just like we have. Our medical system is so screwy here - hard to stay stable if you can't afford the medications/therapies to do so. 

Oh is your oldest going to be able to keep the job when school starts back?  That would be great.    Sending good thoughts that she gets her scholarship back.

Sending some hugs medical bills for your girls.  I wish our country would change so that people don't have to worry about the bills when taking care of their health.