Menu

June Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

7 minutes ago, Soror said:

Not spending a lot expect vehicle expenses which have been a whole lot.

Was going to get my hair highlighted as a pick me up (very rare thing for me to do) but decided against it with swimming in pools planned, not worth the risk. 

They had a meeting at dh's work and they will be getting bonuses. The bonuses written into his contract that he didn't get last year (bosses gave themselves one but no one else). It is supposed to be good, no clue how much. These are coming in August. WE'll see how things look by then and how much. I'm hoping to give my car fund a boost but with all the vehicle and medical expenses who knows how much will be left.

Yay for bonus!  That is really awful that the bosses got one last year.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Well we will either be replacing a toilet this weekend or replacing the flapper.  Obviously the flapper is going to be cheaper, but I would like to replace all the toilets anyhow.  Anyone done this?  We never have so I am trying to figure out how hard this would be. 

Picked up a few things at Aldi.

Got the kids all new cheap croc like sandals at Aldi.  Good for just junky stuff like chicken tending and stuff like that at home.

Neither my husband nor myself has any construction background and yet a non plummer was able to explain over the phone (pre youtube days) how to replace one to us.  I was truly surprised how very easy it is.  Of course you have to make sure you have the right size tubing but beyond that, the biggest hurdle is setting the toilet down on the wax ring without sliding it around.  Then you just tighten down the bolts and connects the water.  Another tip is to spread vaseline inside the tank around the bolt holes before putting the bolts and washers in.  The first one took us about 30 minutes.  I've had to pull them up and replace the wax rings several times (some times because my kids climbed on them and knocked them loose from the seal and some for when we replaced the flooring) but now I can do it in about 15 minutes.  

• Like 2

DH just heard from the car repair shop. We're trying a new one here in town as the one we normally use is full and their prices have been higher the past few times. The price isn't as high as I feared, but it will wipe out the car repair fund, which I was working on building back up after DH's brakes as well as the washing machine fund and a whopping $10 from our emergency money. But, I'm trying to look on the bright side and look at the fact that we have cash to pay for it. No credit needed.

Finally got a hold of health insurance yesterday. They will reprocess the claims and he said it should be $0 out of pocket for January. So, that's good. I also applied for assistance for DD's pricy medical test through the hospital. Hoping they'll come through with a discount, or we'll be somehow stretching the budget to make payments on that amount. 

• Like 3

Sold a bunk bed today.  Glad to get it out of the house.

I have to laugh at this.  We refi our mortgage awhile back skipping a few months of payments.  It was up to us to set up the auto payments again with the company.  Fine.  We have been getting letters from them saying congrats on paying off your loan.  Dh called today to set up the payments and it again says we have no mortgage with them, we payed it all off.  Trying to get that all sorted out.  

Catching up on all the appointments with missed with covid.  Got all the kids on the books for dentist and doc.  Need to get them to the ortho and eye doctor.   And I need to get appointments for myself for eye, gyno, general doctor, plus a mammogram.   I was able to score doc apps for all the kids in my town.  That never happens saves me 3 days of driving 45 mins at least round trip. 

Forgot I have a credit on one of my cards.  I should use that.  

Probably be signing up the kids for more things this weekend.

Oh and this is life changing.  The Walmart (only grocery store in our town) has grocery pickup finally!!!  So exciting.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 4

We were given a whole sheep to fill up our freezer.  I mean, it was a lamb, but I pictured a lamb as little.  This thing was the size of a sheep.

A sheep farmer we know called us up this evening and asked if we wanted a free lamb to butcher ourselves.  Some dogs had gotten at his sheep and chased this one into a fence, and it broke its neck.  He had no more refrigeration room to store the carcass, couldn’t get it to the butcher in time, and didn’t want it to go to waste.  We offered to pay him, but he said no.  He had already skinned and gutted it and removed the head and feet for us.  Doing the rest of the butchering took us past one a.m.  I had no idea how hard butchering is.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Condessa said:

We were given a whole sheep to fill up our freezer.  I mean, it was a lamb, but I pictured a lamb as little.  This thing was the size of a sheep.

A sheep farmer we know called us up this evening and asked if we wanted a free lamb to butcher ourselves.  Some dogs had gotten at his sheep and chased this one into a fence, and it broke its neck.  He had no more refrigeration room to store the carcass, couldn’t get it to the butcher in time, and didn’t want it to go to waste.  We offered to pay him, but he said no.  He had already skinned and gutted it and removed the head and feet for us.  Doing the rest of the butchering took us past one a.m.  I had no idea how hard butchering is.

Ya! I've helped with chicken, beef, and deer butchering it always takes longer than expected. When you have experience it isn't bad but I've not done it enough to be quick and efficient. I love lamb!

8 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Sold a bunk bed today.  Glad to get it out of the house.

I have to laugh at this.  We refi our mortgage awhile back skipping a few months of payments.  It was up to us to set up the auto payments again with the company.  Fine.  We have been getting letters from them saying congrats on paying off your loan.  Dh called today to set up the payments and it again says we have no mortgage with them, we payed it all off.  Trying to get that all sorted out.  

Catching up on all the appointments with missed with covid.  Got all the kids on the books for dentist and doc.  Need to get them to the ortho and eye doctor.   And I need to get appointments for myself for eye, gyno, general doctor, plus a mammogram.   I was able to score doc apps for all the kids in my town.  That never happens saves me 3 days of driving 45 mins at least round trip. 

Forgot I have a credit on one of my cards.  I should use that.  

Probably be signing up the kids for more things this weekend.

Oh and this is life changing.  The Walmart (only grocery store in our town) has grocery pickup finally!!!  So exciting.  

LOL, it is very nice to get all your appointments settled, that is always a PITA. Hopefully, setting up your mortgage isn't too bad.

20 hours ago, historically accurate said:

DH just heard from the car repair shop. We're trying a new one here in town as the one we normally use is full and their prices have been higher the past few times. The price isn't as high as I feared, but it will wipe out the car repair fund, which I was working on building back up after DH's brakes as well as the washing machine fund and a whopping $10 from our emergency money. But, I'm trying to look on the bright side and look at the fact that we have cash to pay for it. No credit needed.

Finally got a hold of health insurance yesterday. They will reprocess the claims and he said it should be $0 out of pocket for January. So, that's good. I also applied for assistance for DD's pricy medical test through the hospital. Hoping they'll come through with a discount, or we'll be somehow stretching the budget to make payments on that amount. 

I hope that assistance goes through. It does royally stink to have to use up funds for other purposes. The old washing machine will have to hold out a bit longer.

20 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay for bonus!  That is really awful that the bosses got one last year.  

Well, that is the way it goes. The people on top always make sure to get theirs and make sure that they keep increasing.

• Like 2

Spending today, our old dog needs a vet visit.  When we went on vacation we boarded the young dog.  She came back with some green discharge from her eyes.  Pink eye?   It wasn't that bad and is clearing up a lot.  Within a few days our old dog got it.  Really came down with it badly yesterday.  I didn't do the right research yesterday when the office was open and only found the info last night.  So headed there today.  Thankful that they are open today and can get her in.  Hopefully she gets some meds that make her feel better soon.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Condessa said:

Oh wow that is nice.  Good for you for doing that.  I could never do anything like that.  I am grossed out by giving kids eye drops and loose teeth.   

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Ya! I've helped with chicken, beef, and deer butchering it always takes longer than expected. When you have experience it isn't bad but I've not done it enough to be quick and efficient. I love lamb!

LOL, it is very nice to get all your appointments settled, that is always a PITA. Hopefully, setting up your mortgage isn't too bad.

I hope that assistance goes through. It does royally stink to have to use up funds for other purposes. The old washing machine will have to hold out a bit longer.

Well, that is the way it goes. The people on top always make sure to get theirs and make sure that they keep increasing.

True that it does happen a lot.  But not all companies are like that.  Dh's didn't do that last year. Everyone got their bonus, not just the top.    I have a lot of respect for the companies that the top people don't do things like that.  

I was able to return a pair of shoes, mail back a shirt that didn't fit, and request a return on a book that never arrived today. 

I sold a textbook - mailed it today, so money should be in account in a week or two. I listed a toy on FB marketplace.

I was notified that I won a sweepstakes yesterday. I won a Thomas Kincaide/Disney limited edition painting. Similar to these: https://insidethemagic.net/2020/10/6-painting-sweepstakes-thomas-kinkade-studios/ I don't have a clue what I'll do with it - probably sell it as the kids have kind of outgrown Disney for their rooms. We'll see when it arrives.

Bought some clothes for oldest DD from Old Navy - purchased myself a pair of work shoes with the order as mine are looking pretty worn. We'll see if they fit.

Youngest DD's summer plans are on hold - they didn't have enough lifeguards to open the pool on Monday, so it's staying closed for now. Fortunately, I haven't purchased her pass yet; I'd be pretty cranky if I had. Of course, it's like 100 degrees here this week. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I was able to return a pair of shoes, mail back a shirt that didn't fit, and request a return on a book that never arrived today. 

I sold a textbook - mailed it today, so money should be in account in a week or two. I listed a toy on FB marketplace.

I was notified that I won a sweepstakes yesterday. I won a Thomas Kincaide/Disney limited edition painting. Similar to these: https://insidethemagic.net/2020/10/6-painting-sweepstakes-thomas-kinkade-studios/ I don't have a clue what I'll do with it - probably sell it as the kids have kind of outgrown Disney for their rooms. We'll see when it arrives.

Bought some clothes for oldest DD from Old Navy - purchased myself a pair of work shoes with the order as mine are looking pretty worn. We'll see if they fit.

Youngest DD's summer plans are on hold - they didn't have enough lifeguards to open the pool on Monday, so it's staying closed for now. Fortunately, I haven't purchased her pass yet; I'd be pretty cranky if I had. Of course, it's like 100 degrees here this week. 

Super productive.  I know it has been that hot since we got home too.  Actually a few days in SD were in the 100s.  Sucks.  I hate this weather.  And we are already in a severe drought.  Does your dd have any other plans? 

Fun to win a sweepstakes! 

• Like 1

I'm so busy working at my parents' house, schooling, and doing the little amount of eBay work we have since we aren't listing new things that I have almost zero time to spend money, ha! 

I am spending a bunch of my dad's money though. But that'll will be way worth it once he sells the place. I'm aiming for it being listed by the end of July. Painting will be done by next weekend, then we lay flooring, replace a sliding door, and spruce up the kitchen. It is all moving along nicely. Dh and I are heading over there now

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Super productive.  I know it has been that hot since we got home too.  Actually a few days in SD were in the 100s.  Sucks.  I hate this weather.  And we are already in a severe drought.  Does your dd have any other plans? 

Fun to win a sweepstakes! 

Nope, DD had to dig deep to figure out she wanted to swim. I think she's all burned out from pandemic stress and just wants to hang out, read, and swim. I hope they open up soon for her (and everyone else in town's) sake.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Nope, DD had to dig deep to figure out she wanted to swim. I think she's all burned out from pandemic stress and just wants to hang out, read, and swim. I hope they open up soon for her (and everyone else in town's) sake.

Oh I hope they open soon too.  Yeah I guess things being closed down for a year would hamper lifeguard class.  A lazy summer sounds nice.  My oldest would  love that too. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

I started new vitamins this past week (I upped my Vitamin D & added a B complex), and I've been feeling downright energetic these past few days. Well, energetic for me, anyway. 

This morning, I packaged up yet another homeschool sale to drop at post office tomorrow. Go, me! DH and I worked out in the garden before the heat hit, filled the vole holes, trimmed some bushes, and weeded a lot. I'm cleaning and doing some cooking ahead today. I'm going to try chickpeas in the air fryer. https://www.myforkinglife.com/crispy-air-fryer-chickpeas/ 

This is the Disney/Thomas Kinkade picture I won - my name was in the article, so I guess that one's mine LOL. 

I've been getting a ton of Crowdtap bigger surveys (30-75 points) lately, so I just cashed in for another $5 Amazon card this morning. Those go in my gift fund. I went ahead and got my brother his Christmas gift since I had $ in the gift fund, and I wanted to shop, so this helped soothe that shopping bug, and it will be necessary eventually. I really don't have any more gifts to purchase until Christmas time, so hopefully, the funds'll grow big and strong by then. 

I saw they put out the dates of the Child Tax Credit payments. DH and I made a plan for that money. Dates are: the 15th of every month starting in July, except August, which is on the 13th.

Disney-101-Dalmatians-on-the-Run-1-800x400.jpg

Edited by historically accurate
Typo
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I started new vitamins this past week (I upped my Vitamin D & added a B complex), and I've been feeling downright energetic these past few days. Well, energetic for me, anyway. 

This morning, I packaged up yet another homeschool sale to drop at post office tomorrow. Go, me! DH and I worked out in the garden before the heat hit, filled the vole holes, trimmed some bushes, and weeded a lot. I'm cleaning and doing some cooking ahead today. I'm going to try chickpeas in the air fryer. https://www.myforkinglife.com/crispy-air-fryer-chickpeas/ 

This is the Disney/Thomas Kinkade picture I won - my name was in the article, so I guess that one's mine LOL. 

I've been getting a ton of Crowdtap bigger surveys (30-75 points) lately, so I just cashed in for another $5 Amazon card this morning. Those go in my gift fund. I went ahead and got my brother his Christmas gift since I had $ in the gift fund, and I wanted to shop, so this helped soothe that shopping bug, and it will be necessary eventually. I really don't have any more gifts to purchase until Christmas time, so hopefully, the funds'll grow big and strong by then. 

I saw they put out the dates of the Child Tax Credit payments. DH and I made a plan for that money. Dates are: the 15th of every month starting in July, except August, which is on the 13th.

Disney-101-Dalmatians-on-the-Run-1-800x400.jpg

Laughing.  I kind of glanced a bit at the picture before reading and was like where are you right now in the snow???  I would trade it for this heat in a second.  Aww that is cute.  ARe you still selling it?

Good job getting on the Christmas train so early!!!  I want to buy stuff right now too, maybe I should do that?  Nice idea.  I only really shop for kids and dh and the kids can change their minds by then so I don't know.  Hope your fund grows well by then.

How much D are you taking?  I am need more energy.  I am getting 7 or more hours a sleep most nights. This past week I have been napping.  I want to say it was being worn out from vacation.  THat was our first thing post covid activity so it was a lot different than sitting at home.  

Sounds like you are having another super productive day!  Yay.  I was always way more productive when my life was busy.  When mine isn't I just don't do much.   Nice job selling all the homeschool stuff.

So you are taking the CTC?  I hearing some debate on if you should take it now or wait until tax time. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Laughing.  I kind of glanced a bit at the picture before reading and was like where are you right now in the snow???  I would trade it for this heat in a second.  Aww that is cute.  ARe you still selling it?

Good job getting on the Christmas train so early!!!  I want to buy stuff right now too, maybe I should do that?  Nice idea.  I only really shop for kids and dh and the kids can change their minds by then so I don't know.  Hope your fund grows well by then.

How much D are you taking?  I am need more energy.  I am getting 7 or more hours a sleep most nights. This past week I have been napping.  I want to say it was being worn out from vacation.  THat was our first thing post covid activity so it was a lot different than sitting at home.  

Sounds like you are having another super productive day!  Yay.  I was always way more productive when my life was busy.  When mine isn't I just don't do much.   Nice job selling all the homeschool stuff.

So you are taking the CTC?  I hearing some debate on if you should take it now or wait until tax time. 

I'll have to see when it comes in if a kid wants the pic for their room. I don't have a lot of wall space as we are maxed out with bookshelves and cabinets. Middle DD might like it in her room as the colors will go in that room. 

I upped my Vitamin D from 1000iU to 5000iU. I'm noticing a lot of difference these past few days. 

CTC: For any kids age 6-17, you'll receive $500 less at tax time per kid. For kids 5 and under, you'll get $200 less per child. This is because the CTC increased from $2000 to $3000 for ages 6-17 and from $2000 to $3600 for ages 0-5. So, if you take the upfront payments, you'll get 1/2 that during 2021 ($1500 for ages 6-17, $1800 for ages 0-5). Therefore, you will receive $1500 or $1800 at tax time rather than the usual $2000, so $500 or $200 less.

We are going to take the upfront CTC as it makes sense for our situation. We usually get far more than $1000 (we have 2 kids ages 6-17) back at tax time, so we won't even come close to owing, even with me picking up a job this year, due to the college tuition credit and our income level. We may not be eligible for the Earned Income Credit this year because of our income jump, but I'm sure we'll still get a refund. Some people, like self-employed, will have to look at the decrease in tax credits to see if it makes sense for them to take it upfront. Our plan is to pay some debt and use some for medical bills, school stuff, and college expenses. 

• Like 2

My efforts at frugality are being hampered by the fact that I cannot smell food cooking in our house without getting sick right now.  This morning it was still enough to get me after dh cooked dinner last night, even with having the windows opened and the fans going all night long.  This morning sickness is so much worse than my last three pregnancies.  I guess we are going out to eat for ds8’s birthday tomorrow.  Even though all he wants for his birthday dinner is chocolate chip pancakes and bacon.  Argh!

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Condessa said:

My efforts at frugality are being hampered by the fact that I cannot smell food cooking in our house without getting sick right now.  This morning it was still enough to get me after dh cooked dinner last night, even with having the windows opened and the fans going all night long.  This morning sickness is so much worse than my last three pregnancies.  I guess we are going out to eat for ds8’s birthday tomorrow.  Even though all he wants for his birthday dinner is chocolate chip pancakes and bacon.  Argh!

Aww man.  Sending you hugs.  I remember those days.  I had horrible ms with all my kids and had to be on meds and go to the hospital to get hydrated.  I lost 30 lbs with each pg in the start.  I remember random things would just make me even more ill.  I hope you feel better soon.  I am so sorry it is worse than your other pgs.  That is so not fair.  How many weeks are you?    I hope that maybe you are just in the first trimester and the rest gets better for you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Aww man.  Sending you hugs.  I remember those days.  I had horrible ms with all my kids and had to be on meds and go to the hospital to get hydrated.  I lost 30 lbs with each pg in the start.  I remember random things would just make me even more ill.  I hope you feel better soon.  I am so sorry it is worse than your other pgs.  That is so not fair.  How many weeks are you?    I hope that maybe you are just in the first trimester and the rest gets better for you. 

I’m over sixteen weeks now.  My last three I was only sick for the first trimester, but the first one was twenty weeks.  

• Like 1

Dh is paid today so I budgeted the rest of July. Must work on menu planning. I got groceries without really planning, which is not a good idea but I was stressed and ran short of time. I will make an inventory today to use what we have.

FINALLY got the bill from med visits dating back to March. I had been setting aside an estimated amount so it was expected, $540. 

It doesn't look like dd2 is going to camp. We might end up doing another session of swim and tennis which would use the funds I'd set aside for for her camp.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

How is the weekend already?

Got my mammogram this week.  Yeah.  Glad to be using the health insurance this year.

Had a grocery pick up this week, will probably do an extra one this Saturday.  Just smaller

Missed out on a high paying survey while I was on vacation.  😞    Stinks.  It was nice to be unplugged though.

Our old slip and slide got ruined last night.  Bought the last 2 on the shelf.  

Dh and the kids replaced the toilet over the weekend.  We didn't need to do that, it was the the flapper that was having issues, but it is nice to upgrade to the one he picked out. 

• Like 4

I can't believe June is more than halfway over.  We have no expenses planned for the rest of the month that are beyond two more grocery trips and maybe an additional $100 worth of random things that come up.  So, any additional money for the rest of the month will go straight into long term investments.  I just started a pet sitting job where the dog is staying with us, so super easy.  That is roughly $250.  I think the person who is paying me very well is planning a week or two long trip soon.  She implied it for July 4th week and the week before so I'm just assuming.  That'll be a nice chunk  of change if she does take an extended trip.  But even it is just two extra long weekends that's nice too. She is a last minute kind of planner, which works for me given how well she treats me.

• Like 3

We took the younger girls to a movie yesterday. The first time we've been in forever, we don't usually go very much as it is. We went early to hit the matinee price. They bought themselves some candy at dollar tree before and we got them soda to share. 

Dh was called into work (on Father's Day) ugh. He's been working like crazy. He has so many projects and they've not even started the new projects. I'm trying to get him to work less but we've had so many expenses he feels like he should(besides the fact that his boss is breathing down his neck to get all this crap done). I feel like we're doing ok (and we are). 

I've not done the best on groceries this month. I'll have to really plan to finish the month in budget and having 5 Tuesdays is not helping (I shop on Tuesdays). I might end up bumping up the budget, we'll see if I can pull it off. 

Got the EOB pre-authorization for ds' crown, it is $412.50, instead of the $450 they had told me, that will be coming from the med fund. I've got more upcoming bills too from visits this month, counseling, 2 peds, and 2 filling. I think another $500 or so. I added it up for the budget the other day but can't remember off hand. Ya, medical bills! I'll be glad to get ds' other 2 crowns done (hopefully in Jan of next year). I'm not used to such dental bills, it stinks that it doesn't go to my deductible.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

I'm currently drowning in kid clothing purchases. So far, I've gotten 6 tees for oldest, shoes, sandals, and shorts for youngest, compression shorts (and some compression leggings for fall) for middle. I have swimsuits coming for middle to try on (my old one she's been wearing is almost shot). Oldest needs some new underwear before returning to college - I don't want to go bra shopping (yes, you can totally read that as a whine, I find it worse than swimsuit shopping!). Middle needs some new cooling tops as some of her older ones are looking worn. My clothing fund is in the red, and I'm wondering how to cover the still needed purchases before summer is over. *sigh*

I need to contact Christopher and Banks as they have not credited me for a return yet. My mom ordered me some work shirts, but only one fit. 

Washing machine is still hanging in there. 

Medical fees looming: Oldest and I have dentist appointments tomorrow. The other two kids have appts later this month, and I know middle at least needs some work as she chipped her front tooth when her braces were on, and we deferred to fixing it until they came off. Youngest's glasses broke this past week, and as we all needed eye appts because Covid, there will be appointments all around next week, with at least one new pair of glasses, possibly more. I have not heard back from the hospital regarding DD's financial assistance request yet. @Soror, I feel you on the medical bills.

I did get insurance to re-evaluate some January doctor visits, but I am having a heck of a time doing the paying-the-therapist-as-in-network agreement with them (it has to be done every 6 months). So annoying.

We're doing ok on groceries so far, although it's tight since I cut it a little to cover a new medication prescribed for a kid last week. My work schedule allows me to pick up school lunches this week though, so I'll do that. 

Sold several more school books - that money is going toward next year's school purchases, which I still need to nail down.

Park pool still hasn't opened. Saving me money since I was going to buy at least one punch card, but if it goes to July, I may not as it'll only be about 6 weeks open - they usually close early August because lifeguards go back to sports/college.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I'm currently drowning in kid clothing purchases. So far, I've gotten 6 tees for oldest, shoes, sandals, and shorts for youngest, compression shorts (and some compression leggings for fall) for middle. I have swimsuits coming for middle to try on (my old one she's been wearing is almost shot). Oldest needs some new underwear before returning to college - I don't want to go bra shopping (yes, you can totally read that as a whine, I find it worse than swimsuit shopping!). Middle needs some new cooling tops as some of her older ones are looking worn. My clothing fund is in the red, and I'm wondering how to cover the still needed purchases before summer is over. *sigh*

I need to contact Christopher and Banks as they have not credited me for a return yet. My mom ordered me some work shirts, but only one fit. 

Washing machine is still hanging in there. 

Medical fees looming: Oldest and I have dentist appointments tomorrow. The other two kids have appts later this month, and I know middle at least needs some work as she chipped her front tooth when her braces were on, and we deferred to fixing it until they came off. Youngest's glasses broke this past week, and as we all needed eye appts because Covid, there will be appointments all around next week, with at least one new pair of glasses, possibly more. I have not heard back from the hospital regarding DD's financial assistance request yet. @Soror, I feel you on the medical bills.

I did get insurance to re-evaluate some January doctor visits, but I am having a heck of a time doing the paying-the-therapist-as-in-network agreement with them (it has to be done every 6 months). So annoying.

We're doing ok on groceries so far, although it's tight since I cut it a little to cover a new medication prescribed for a kid last week. My work schedule allows me to pick up school lunches this week though, so I'll do that. 

Sold several more school books - that money is going toward next year's school purchases, which I still need to nail down.

Park pool still hasn't opened. Saving me money since I was going to buy at least one punch card, but if it goes to July, I may not as it'll only be about 6 weeks open - they usually close early August because lifeguards go back to sports/college.

Ugh lots and lots of expenses.  It never ends does it?  I feel you on the clothes.  I get everyone all their clothes for the seasons, new sizes, and for their activities and then I think I am set and then someone else needs something.  I am now doing a lot of clothes for Christmas.  But these kids just keep growing.  I had just bought one dd new ballet, jazz, and character shoes for her intensive in May.  Now after a week of wearing them she is saying they are small.  UGH.  And I feel you on the bra shopping.  I want some new ones, but to find what I want I don't want go through the work to do.  I really want some non underwire and comfy bras.   I am done pushing up the ladies. 

I feel you on the medical appts too.  I have the next 6 weeks or so of just catching up on apts for the kids.  And yet I still haven't gotten them to the ortho or eye doctor.  I need to figure out who is covered in our insurance for ortho.  We only went to one prelim apt 2 years ago or so.  Same with the eye doctor.  

The ballet school my kids go to is now back up and running.  In person classes, intensives, and shows.  Here we go again.  It was sad to miss everything while it was shut down.  But man did I love the break.  We saved soooooooo much money and the stress off my back was so amazing.   We are signing up for all the stuff.   🙂

Picked up a grocery order yesterday.  Bought a few plants for the kids to plant.  They had a few of the plants I wanted on discount to do some landscaping, but they looked half dead.  Probably because of the heat we have had.  Boo.  I really wanted them.  

ODD needed some new flat shoes for ballet. Ordered those today. Her pointe shoes still haven't gotten here yet.  Held up at the border.  Hoping that goes well  and they get here.  It was a good savings on their retail price. 

Got ds some new workout shorts.  Everyone got a new t-shirt or two while on vacation. 

• Like 2

Three dentist apts done for today already.  $0 cost because of insurance.

Got sent to a different doc for one.

Got odd's pointe shoes and they are the right ones.  Yeah.  Saved $30 on that pair.   Every dollar counts on shoes that are over $100 a pair and don't last long.

Got the shorts for ds and they work so that is good.  Dh got a new winter coat for $10 and then a bike tire repair kit for one of the bikes.

Got my mammogram info back and it was normal.  Yeah!  I was super worried about it.   It feels good to start getting caught back up on appointments.  However I have so many more to go.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 4

Oldest and I went through a lot of tears yesterday. She lost her merit scholarship, and although she's going to bust her heiney this coming semester, I doubt she'll do well enough to get it back. It's been a hard year for her - pandemic, health issues, starting school far away, virtual schooling making accommodations not really work as well. Ugh. She'll probably have to take out student loans now. We'll sit down this weekend and come up with a plan to get her through. 

She needs $600 of work at the dentist, partly due to those health issues that crept up this year. I am heaving a HUGE sigh as I paid off the dentist at our appointment on Monday after months of payments, and an hour later, they told me that they really, really, REALLY recommend the work get done soon. My insurance will not cover it (of course not!), but the dentist will knock off 20% because he really, really, REALLY would like to stress that she needs it done. 

So, bad day all around. Just keep repeating to myself: It's just money, It's just money, It's just money

On the good side: I'll have a few extra $ in my check coming on Friday from that 5 hour budget meeting. The next check should have a little extra due to a mandatory meeting (2 hour this time) on a day I'm not scheduled. It's possible I'll get paid for the 4th as well, but with a new boss, I am not counting on it until I see it.

Edited by historically accurate
dropped a word
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Oldest and I went through a lot of tears yesterday. She lost her merit scholarship, and although she's going to bust her heiney this coming semester, I doubt she'll do well enough to get it back. It's been a hard year for her - pandemic, health issues, starting school far away, virtual schooling making accommodations not really work as well. Ugh. She'll have to take out student loans now. We'll sit down this weekend and come up with a plan to get her through. 

She needs $600 of work at the dentist, partly due to those health issues that crept up this year. I am heaving a HUGE sigh as I paid off the dentist at our appointment on Monday after months of payments, and an hour later, they told me that they really, really, REALLY recommend the work get done soon. My insurance will not cover it (of course not!), but the dentist will knock off 20% because he really, really, REALLY would like to stress that she needs it done. 

So, bad day all around. Just keep repeating to myself: It's just money, It's just money, It's just money

On the good side: I'll have a few extra $ in my check coming on Friday from that 5 hour budget meeting. The next check should have a little extra due to a mandatory meeting (2 hour this time) on a day I'm not scheduled. It's possible I'll get paid for the 4th as well, but with a new boss, I am not counting on it until I see it.

Oh man I am so sorry for your dd.  That really sucks.  Man I just feel like the school should have given her another chance with that though.  It was such a tough tough tough year.  I can't even imagine going away to school and dealing with all that the first time away from home.  It sucks.  I hope her health is doing better and that this upcoming  year is better in so many ways. 

Super nice of your dentist to nock off some money for your bill. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Oldest and I went through a lot of tears yesterday. She lost her merit scholarship, and although she's going to bust her heiney this coming semester, I doubt she'll do well enough to get it back. It's been a hard year for her - pandemic, health issues, starting school far away, virtual schooling making accommodations not really work as well. Ugh. She'll probably have to take out student loans now. We'll sit down this weekend and come up with a plan to get her through. 

I'm so very sorry 😞 That stinks all around. It was a rough academic year(it was horrible for ds) for so many kids, seems like that she be considered.

Double ugh on the dentist. I so hear you there. Very tired of dental bills. That is wonderful that he is knocking off some of it, that helps a bit. 

It is just money but it is stress too. Stress on top of other big stressors.

21 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Three dentist apts done for today already.  $0 cost because of insurance.

Got sent to a different doc for one.

Got odd's pointe shoes and they are the right ones.  Yeah.  Saved $30 on that pair.   Every dollar counts on shoes that are over $100 a pair and don't last long.

Got the shorts for ds and they work so that is good.  Dh got a new winter coat for $10 and then a bike tire repair kit for one of the bikes.

Got my mammogram info back and it was normal.  Yeah!  I was super worried about it.   It feels good to start getting caught back up on appointments.  However I have so many more to go.  

Ya for getting some appointments knocked out. I know that is a total PITA.

• Like 1

I have been considering some evening classes this weekend to make sure I hit my goal for next month but this am I got a message and someone is buying something I listed on Marketplace ages ago. It looks like I will make it after all (assuming I don't get a bunch of cancellations- they are at the end of the school year so it is a bit hit and miss right now). I might end up with evening classes next month, it is my last month until I hit vaca goal. 

I've lowered my goal after that but things are in the air right now. China is looking at making more restrictions to education and outside tutoring. We are supposed to know more at the end of the month. Last time they shortened the time we could teach it dropped our morning hours by 33%.  I really wanted to keep this job until dh finished school. I wanted to fund a new to me car and then a trip for our 25th. I don't know anything else I could do with comparable pay. Crossing my fingers. I don't want to have to hunt down something else or work more hours for the same pay but may have no choice. I'll be anxious to see dh's salary increase.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Soror said:

I have been considering some evening classes this weekend to make sure I hit my goal for next month but this am I got a message and someone is buying something I listed on Marketplace ages ago. It looks like I will make it after all (assuming I don't get a bunch of cancellations- they are at the end of the school year so it is a bit hit and miss right now). I might end up with evening classes next month, it is my last month until I hit vaca goal. 

I've lowered my goal after that but things are in the air right now. China is looking at making more restrictions to education and outside tutoring. We are supposed to know more at the end of the month. Last time they shortened the time we could teach it dropped our morning hours by 33%.  I really wanted to keep this job until dh finished school. I wanted to fund a new to me car and then a trip for our 25th. I don't know anything else I could do with comparable pay. Crossing my fingers. I don't want to have to hunt down something else or work more hours for the same pay but may have no choice. I'll be anxious to see dh's salary increase.

Fingers crossed on your job.  Ugh.   Is your dh getting a raise now?  

• Like 1

@Soror sorry to hear about the unknowns of your tutoring.  I hope you don't lose out on money. I suggest brainstorming other money making ideas now just in case things go the wrong way.  I make good enough money pet sitting and reselling things.  Reselling is certainly easier to get off the ground but of course there is a learning curve.  There are plenty of youtubers who resell and have tons of tips for people starting out, if that is something that interests you.  For me, once I'm done working on my parents house I plan on ramping up the reselling business.  I've got lofty goals for it!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

@Soror sorry to hear about the unknowns of your tutoring.  I hope you don't lose out on money. I suggest brainstorming other money making ideas now just in case things go the wrong way.  I make good enough money pet sitting and reselling things.  Reselling is certainly easier to get off the ground but of course there is a learning curve.  There are plenty of youtubers who resell and have tons of tips for people starting out, if that is something that interests you.  For me, once I'm done working on my parents house I plan on ramping up the reselling business.  I've got lofty goals for it!

I'm brainstorming! I have done a little reselling but don't care to do that more than that. I don't want to deal with shipping and figuring why I can make big bucks at. I don't live in town, a trip to the PO(and all the resell shops) are nearly 30 minutes. I thought about pet sitting or dog walking but I don't have experience and live in a rural area. I considered subbing 1 day a week but that takes me from the girls. I'd have to do about 2 days a week to make th equivalent of what I do now. I don't care to be an entrepreneur. I've gif to take care of so much at home with dh being so busy I want something to just do not something to market research logistics and all that. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Soror said:

I'm brainstorming! I have done a little reselling but don't care to do that more than that. I don't want to deal with shipping and figuring why I can make big bucks at. I don't live in town, a trip to the PO(and all the resell shops) are nearly 30 minutes. I thought about pet sitting or dog walking but I don't have experience and live in a rural area. I considered subbing 1 day a week but that takes me from the girls. I'd have to do about 2 days a week to make th equivalent of what I do now. I don't care to be an entrepreneur. I've gif to take care of so much at home with dh being so busy I want something to just do not something to market research logistics and all that. 

Yeah you really have to live in the right area for reselling.  I mean you can buy things online and then resell them, but most people start with garage sales and thrift stores.  And some people seem to have great thrift stores and the key is going a lot.  We don't have a thrift store in town and the nearest one would be an hour away.  Yeah living rural and pet sitting doesn't work well unless you want to board them at your home.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yeah you really have to live in the right area for reselling.  I mean you can buy things online and then resell them, but most people start with garage sales and thrift stores.  And some people seem to have great thrift stores and the key is going a lot.  We don't have a thrift store in town and the nearest one would be an hour away.  Yeah living rural and pet sitting doesn't work well unless you want to board them at your home.

Ya, I had a friend that did it for years but she lived in town. She got out of it when she got busier and eBay kept upping fees. I have another friend that has had a dogsitters / dog walking business. Pretty much full time for several years but she was really hurt last year with so many people home and not traveling. I don't want something so variable. I want to know what I'm making. Vipkid is even a bit more variable than I'd like but I try to keep goals able to be met with some down time

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Soror said:

this makes a lot of sense.  that is certainly going to limit your options but it certainly is something I can relate with.  2020 was the first year in most of our marriage that I didn't feel so overwhelmed holding up the household things while dh worked ridiculous hours that I could actually get back to my true nature of being an entrepreneur.  For me it is something that gives me great fulfillment.

How about tutoring people locally?  or are there other online tutoring sites that you could do along side of what your doing now, is it VIPkids you do I can't remember.

• Like 2

Oldest got a job! She's going to be doing something computer-wise that I don't really understand - something about machine learning. Today was her second "interview"; she said it was really a brainstorming session on where the project needs to go. The manager was going to see how much he could pay her and he'll get back to her next week at the latest.

She's doing better emotion-wise on the scholarship front. Going to write out some points to talk to the financial aid office and seeing about getting work study in the spring (she's focused on pulling up her grades in the fall in the hopes of re-instating it, so we nixed the idea of work study in the fall). She and I will sit down Saturday and chug through all the numbers to see how much she's short if the scholarship turns out to be completely gone. 

I'll have my first amount in the washing machine fund tomorrow with my paycheck. There is one on FB Marketplace that looks good and I may be able to get for that amount. I still have to talk to DH about it.

Set up Oldest's next appointment with the dentist. We'll end up doing the payment plan again - it'll be pretty close to what we were paying before. I don't know what Middle's tooth repair is going to cost yet though. 

I picked up school lunches this week, and the lady gave me loads extra - my fridge is packed out. So, groceries will be minimal for the coming week. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Oldest got a job! She's going to be doing something computer-wise that I don't really understand - something about machine learning. Today was her second "interview"; she said it was really a brainstorming session on where the project needs to go. The manager was going to see how much he could pay her and he'll get back to her next week at the latest.

She's doing better emotion-wise on the scholarship front. Going to write out some points to talk to the financial aid office and seeing about getting work study in the spring (she's focused on pulling up her grades in the fall in the hopes of re-instating it, so we nixed the idea of work study in the fall). She and I will sit down Saturday and chug through all the numbers to see how much she's short if the scholarship turns out to be completely gone. 

I'll have my first amount in the washing machine fund tomorrow with my paycheck. There is one on FB Marketplace that looks good and I may be able to get for that amount. I still have to talk to DH about it.

Set up Oldest's next appointment with the dentist. We'll end up doing the payment plan again - it'll be pretty close to what we were paying before. I don't know what Middle's tooth repair is going to cost yet though. 

I picked up school lunches this week, and the lady gave me loads extra - my fridge is packed out. So, groceries will be minimal for the coming week. 

Yay for your oldest!!  Is is for summer only or can she do it while she is back at school?

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Fingers crossed on your job.  Ugh.   Is your dh getting a raise now?  

I *think* he's supposed to be getting one. He just did his review. He says he thinks August, same time as the bonus. 

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

this makes a lot of sense.  that is certainly going to limit your options but it certainly is something I can relate with.  2020 was the first year in most of our marriage that I didn't feel so overwhelmed holding up the household things while dh worked ridiculous hours that I could actually get back to my true nature of being an entrepreneur.  For me it is something that gives me great fulfillment.

How about tutoring people locally?  or are there other online tutoring sites that you could do along side of what your doing now, is it VIPkids you do I can't remember.

I've never wanted to be an entrepreneur. I don't know if I'd want to tutor. I've considered some other tutor sites for other places. None of them pay as much but it might be worthwhile if things really get cut back with VIPKID. 

27 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Congrats to your daughter. All the fingers crossed for her to get her grades up. That will be great if you can get the washer for that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I *think* he's supposed to be getting one. He just did his review. He says he thinks August, same time as the bonus. 

I've never wanted to be an entrepreneur. I don't know if I'd want to tutor. I've considered some other tutor sites for other places. None of them pay as much but it might be worthwhile if things really get cut back with VIPKID. 

Congrats to your daughter. All the fingers crossed for her to get her grades up. That will be great if you can get the washer for that. 

Fingers crossed for your dh on both fronts.

Is it affecting just VIPkid or all the other tutor sites that teach English? 

13 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Fingers crossed for your dh on both fronts.

Is it affecting just VIPkid or all the other tutor sites that teach English? 

It would be any place that is teaching in China. Some are saying it is just for brick and mortar schools over there but we don't know for sure. I'm certain there is a lot of negotiation going on right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soror said:

It would be any place that is teaching in China. Some are saying it is just for brick and mortar schools over there but we don't know for sure. I'm certain there is a lot of negotiation going on right now.

I was thinking it would be the case.  Ugh.  Fingers crossed for the best outcome.  I hope they are able to tell you soon.

• Like 1