Jump to content

Menu

June Frugalistas 2021


Recommended Posts

Grilling at home. Some yard work. Sewing 2 sets of linen napkins for wedding gifts-fabric on sale. 

Signed up for reward card that gives 60,000 miles after you make a single purchase. We’re traveling cross country more to see new grand baby 😊

I perfected a new blouse that I sewed (fabric from thrift store) so I can see more of that pattern in my near future. 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This weekend will be spent lounging out by our pool and working on my parents' house so no big spending.

We do have a tons of birthdays to shop for before mid June. I think 7 in total, unless we're celebrating summer bdays also, then we have 8. This is all dh's side of the family. Half of it is for nieces and nephews but the other half is adults and I wish we could just be done with adult gifts. But all the gifts are budgeted for and the money is in the sinking fund.

Other than the gifts, June is looking to be a low spend month. Most of June will be spent focused on my parents' house. But that is their money I'll be spending 😀

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DH plans to break in the grill this weekend if it ever warms up here - I'm currently frozen even cuddled up under a blanket.

I found out I get paid for Monday since the library is closed, so I'll get an extra 4 hours pay next week. Then, I have a meeting with my new boss on Saturday, so an extra couple hours the following week as well. I can't get school meals next week though since I will be working during pickup time. 

Halfway to saving for a new washing machine - mine is past its prime and dying - so loud, so very, very loud. I did find one that looks really good on Marketplace this afternoon - I just sent off a request to look at it as the amount I have saved will just barely cover that used one. 

We're going to buy youngest a pool pass to the park pool for the summer next week - she plans to do that all summer rather than a summer camp. She's old enough to be there by herself every afternoon. We should get her a phone that works though - hers only runs on wifi. Middle dd has a phone line all by herself (other family members used up our 5 family lines over the years) so we'll probably add her to that set. 

MIL passed some huge fabric drawers on to DD - when oldest goes back to college, we'll rearrange her room and use them as a desk base for crafts/art. I will have to sell the second bed in there though. 

I ordered groceries and my monthly Sam's Club order for pickup for tomorrow this afternoon. Doing well staying in that budget - I did have to up my gas bill though. My electric bill has been fairly low the last two months. It's a nice change, but I have no idea why.

I do know that I have some big medical bills out there that just haven't made their way to me yet, so I am not looking forward to those. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, historically accurate said:

DH plans to break in the grill this weekend if it ever warms up here - I'm currently frozen even cuddled up under a blanket.

I found out I get paid for Monday since the library is closed, so I'll get an extra 4 hours pay next week. Then, I have a meeting with my new boss on Saturday, so an extra couple hours the following week as well. I can't get school meals next week though since I will be working during pickup time. 

Halfway to saving for a new washing machine - mine is past its prime and dying - so loud, so very, very loud. I did find one that looks really good on Marketplace this afternoon - I just sent off a request to look at it as the amount I have saved will just barely cover that used one. 

We're going to buy youngest a pool pass to the park pool for the summer next week - she plans to do that all summer rather than a summer camp. She's old enough to be there by herself every afternoon. We should get her a phone that works though - hers only runs on wifi. Middle dd has a phone line all by herself (other family members used up our 5 family lines over the years) so we'll probably add her to that set. 

MIL passed some huge fabric drawers on to DD - when oldest goes back to college, we'll rearrange her room and use them as a desk base for crafts/art. I will have to sell the second bed in there though. 

I ordered groceries and my monthly Sam's Club order for pickup for tomorrow this afternoon. Doing well staying in that budget - I did have to up my gas bill though. My electric bill has been fairly low the last two months. It's a nice change, but I have no idea why.

I do know that I have some big medical bills out there that just haven't made their way to me yet, so I am not looking forward to those. 

I've got medical bills still out too. Some from March that haven't even been filed yet. It is driving me crazy.

Ya, for finding a 'new' washer. I hope the one you've found will work out.

22 hours ago, hjffkj said:

This weekend will be spent lounging out by our pool and working on my parents' house so no big spending.

We do have a tons of birthdays to shop for before mid June. I think 7 in total, unless we're celebrating summer bdays also, then we have 8. This is all dh's side of the family. Half of it is for nieces and nephews but the other half is adults and I wish we could just be done with adult gifts. But all the gifts are budgeted for and the money is in the sinking fund.

Other than the gifts, June is looking to be a low spend month. Most of June will be spent focused on my parents' house. But that is their money I'll be spending 😀

Spending other peoples money is always nice 🙂

22 hours ago, mum said:

Grilling at home. Some yard work. Sewing 2 sets of linen napkins for wedding gifts-fabric on sale. 

Signed up for reward card that gives 60,000 miles after you make a single purchase. We’re traveling cross country more to see new grand baby 😊

I perfected a new blouse that I sewed (fabric from thrift store) so I can see more of that pattern in my near future. 

 

It is nice you are talented with sewing, that is a great way to make some really nice gifts for less.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We are back from vaca.

We spent more than I'd originally hoped but less than I'd upped the budget to so I've got some money left. I'll probably put that in the 'Things I forgot' category for June as things come up.

This month we have:

-dd2 and dd3 are doing summer swim lessons (just $15 each). dd1 might do tennis camp?

-dd1 and dd2 have Black Belt camp- I think I have enough set aside unless she raises the prices dramatically. That is next weekend, she was supposed to confirm the cost 2 weeks ago but she'll have to tell me next week if she wants to get paid before hand.

- might buy a season pass to the outdoor pool

-vaca fund up to 80%- woot

-cash flow some medical bills

-Continue adding to the electronics, medical, and vehicle repair funds-they are currently at 50% funded (Ibudgeted for June last month) the house fund is filled.

- might shop for a bathroom vanity for downstairs. I have the money set aside so I need to be shopping so I can hopefully find a good deal. Dh won't have time to do it until maybe July, so no big rush there.

I need to talk to dh to see if there are any other big or small expenses coming up that I'm forgetting. I think the house, yard, and vehicles shouldn't need anything more than minor maintenance (maybe an oil change for my van since we just drove so many miles). He just did major maintenance in the spring. Assuming we don't have any random repairs pop up.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, new expense for June. Ds totaled his car (he is perfectly fine- driving to fast in an empty parking lot). Trying to decide what to do. I don't think it would be worth going through insurance with the deductible and worth of the car. We are car shopping, not sure which fund this will be taken from just yet and how much to spend. Dh thinks we can get some out of the car for parts.

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Soror said:

So, new expense for June. Ds totaled his car (he is perfectly fine- driving to fast in an empty parking lot). Trying to decide what to do. I don't think it would be worth going through insurance with the deductible and worth of the car. We are car shopping, not sure which fund this will be taken from just yet and how much to spend. Dh thinks we can get some out of the car for parts.

Oh, no!  Glad he’s okay!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m trying to figure out whether or not it’s worth it to get pool passes in our new/second neighborhood.   It’s hard when I don’t know other people’s definitions of “crowded”.

My development has 2 pools, one near my house and one about 3 miles away.  We live near the smaller one, and it’s awesome because most people go to the big one.  But, because of that, ours is the one that tends to get closed with no announcements due to lifeguard shortages.  The other one is usually much more crowded than I like.  These pools are included in my high dues.

In our new development, dues are low but the pool isn’t included. And I can’t find the price for pool passes anywhere! (Office is closed for the holiday weekend.) I have no idea how crowded it gets, but the cost does include swim lessons and a swim team. My boys could definitely use lessons!  That one is about 4 miles from our current house.

New place is around 1300 properties with no vacation rentals. Current place is about 3300 properties, including vacation rentals. So the other one *might be a lot more tame.  I don’t know!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are trying to make car related decisions.  Dh had a vehicle allowance with his previous job and we took out a car loan that we can’t afford now.  We are weighing up selling his car and using a beater we have here that won’t be super reliable (actually we have two so probably we can keep one going.). Or selling both beaters and the caravan and paying out the loan.  I’m leaning toward the latter because I think we’ll feel less stressed knowing there’s a reliable car but... the van and the old cars are at the stage of not losing or even appreciating in value whereas dhs car definitely isn’t.  

aside from that trying to trim the grocery budget and the element in the oven just died so it looks like a week of adventures in air fryer or convection cooker baking.  Also looking at possibly getting rid of the land line and ADSL and just going to mobile data.  I’m holding out on that because I’ve applied for a couple of work for home things that will need decent internet but if nothing changes in the next month they will have to go. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Still shopping for a car for ds. Torn on how much to spend. It sucks. We all really liked his car. It didn't cost us that much but it looked great,  nice to drive,  and rode well. I think we'll be hitting my poor sinking funds to buy it. Sigh. Good to have the money there stinks when it has to be used for something else.

In another turn of bad luck my van which rarely needs anything needs maintenance. Dh is very paranoid and cautious and was going to have me drive ds' car until the part came in but then after ds wrecked that wasn't an option so he paid $40 more to get it locally so he could go ahead and change the part. I think it would be fine to drive but as I said dh is very cautious about such things (drives me nuts at times). We just drove it 1600 miles and it did fine. So, that took up the extra we didn't spend on vaca.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made $450 pet sitting for one family this weekend. Still struggling to figure out what to do with all this pet sitting money that is coming in. eBay money is going towards whatever vacation in the future the kids decide on. I may just start putting it into its own savings account and use it for a down payment on a rental property purchase in a few years. That has always been a goal of mine

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paid for dd's dance intensives.  Even though it was already fit in the budget it certainly was a tough thing to pay for.  It is just so expensive.  I miss the days where the kids only did kung-fu because that was free

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And we found ds a car and went to the city last night to get it.

I cleaned up the massacre on my budget this am.

-had a massive spike in the gas bill driving dh's truck 5 hrs round trip to the city - plus filling up the 'new' vehicle

-the boys ate out as they'd been working on the van all day and then we were gone until 10

- stopped at a Memorial day sale and got ds some pants (that are actually long enough) and tshirt on clearance. Dd1 got a pair of shorts and 2 tshirts on sale. 

Some how I still had extra in the vaca fund I'd not noticed (not sure how I screwed that up- it covered those expenses.

Car cost is coming from

- vehicle repair fund- nearly wiped it out

- dh's shop fund (this should be replenished when we sell the old car- since we likely aren't building until next year we have time) if the sell doesn't quite cover it dh will have OT in July to cover it

-taxes, registration, etc coming from my house fund- should still have enough for a dishwasher and the bathroom vanity I hope to get this summer

The car is not nearly as nice but has been well maintained and is nice and clean- and the price was right. Hopefully, it is a good car. 

AND I've got to call health insurance today because they are screwing up bills again with the same dang provider. I'm escalating out of the gate this time.

Got to call car insurance to switch coverage, might end up with a small refund here.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t read this if you’re judgy about generic ink/toner, lol. (And I don’t judge that judginess... I have my own lines in other areas.)

A few days ago, my printer decided to tell me it had no toner.  My toner always lasts a LONG time, so that was weird. And my printer usually specifies a color, but it didn’t.  My initial reaction was to think that I was mistaken about when I had changed it last, so I ordered new toner from EZ Ink.  They were on sale, so I ordered 2 sets. That did not help.

The online chat for the printer company was like, “Yeah... you need to pay the equivalent of a new printer for proper toner or go pound sand.”  I don’t want to pay $280 for toner!!!

So I called my toner people and they said they got confirmation that the printer company updated their software to block their chips.  Would I like them to send me replacements with new chips that work?  YES, PLEASE!

So that’s my current frugal win.  A few minor inconveniences over a few days, but savings of $240.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Don’t read this if you’re judgy about generic ink/toner, lol. (And I don’t judge that judginess... I have my own lines in other areas.)

A few days ago, my printer decided to tell me it had no toner.  My toner always lasts a LONG time, so that was weird. And my printer usually specifies a color, but it didn’t.  My initial reaction was to think that I was mistaken about when I had changed it last, so I ordered new toner from EZ Ink.  They were on sale, so I ordered 2 sets. That did not help.

The online chat for the printer company was like, “Yeah... you need to pay the equivalent of a new printer for proper toner or go pound sand.”  I don’t want to pay $280 for toner!!!

So I called my toner people and they said they got confirmation that the printer company updated their software to block their chips.  Would I like them to send me replacements with new chips that work?  YES, PLEASE!

So that’s my current frugal win.  A few minor inconveniences over a few days, but savings of $240.

I DESPISE all the tricks and gadgetry that printer manufacturers use to try to force us to buy more ink.  I know my printer will claim low toner after x number of sheets.  However, it never worries about if that sheet is a single line of text or a full page picture a page is a page.  I can easily get another 500-1000 pages out of a cartridge after it starts complaining because all we print is text and even then, 99.9% of printing is for home use and I don't care if there is faded lines etc.  But even then it reaches a point where it stops because it "claims" it's protecting the printer.  Yah no, you are trying to bully me into buying more toner.  Good job on getting a workaround to their strong arm tactics!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No new issues with ds' teeth but he is leaning towards crowns sooner rather than later. I need to discuss this with the dentist tomorrow. We have a $1500 benefit per year and he had a root canal in January. IIRC the crowns were 800-900 each (he would need 3) and insurance pays 50% to deductible. 

Auto insurance switched over. It will be a significant savings as the car is older and we switched to liability. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

DD1 has decided she wants to do tennis camp and dd2 church camp. Tennis camp is cheap (just a daily class really) but need a racket and balls too. Church camp is $100 that I wasn't planning on. And looks like BB camp is going to be $20 each more expensive, urg

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Called dental insurance and ds has enough benefits left for a crown this year and a bit left over. He is scheduled for his first (of 2) appointments for that next month. We are going to hope that the other 2 root canals do ok and hold until January, just six more months, please! This crown will be a flat $450 for us.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just spent 30 minutes with my 8 year old showing him ALL our financial accounts and calculating our net worth because he was very curious.  It was quite the eye-opening conversation because he really has an advanced grasp on money. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ebay is being weird, but it's in my favor, so I'm not looking too closely at it. I refunded a guy, and they took $40 less than I expected out of my account three days ago. Today, I got an email saying I had "fees" of $13 due and they would be taking that. But, I'm still ahead like $28. I am clueless. 

I ate at home today. I really, really, really didn't want to cook, but I looked at what was in the eating out budget and cooked some convenience foods from the freezer. 

Tomorrow I'm getting the girls their pool passes for our neighborhood pool. It's free for them, but really small and the old people in the park don't like kids in general and teens in particular, so we don't use it too often. Youngest is getting a pool pass to the park pool for the summer; I have the money for that, I just haven't done it yet. 

I'm kind of just trucking along. We've had a couple of doctor appointments this week which reminded me I have to call and hound our insurance for a couple of appointments they've done wrong. I hate calling them, but one of my DD's doctors calls me the "Aetna Whisperer" since I can sometimes get them to do things correctly and she has yet to succeed with them. So, I'll give it a go tomorrow. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Ebay is being weird, but it's in my favor, so I'm not looking too closely at it. I refunded a guy, and they took $40 less than I expected out of my account three days ago. Today, I got an email saying I had "fees" of $13 due and they would be taking that. But, I'm still ahead like $28. I am clueless. 

I ate at home today. I really, really, really didn't want to cook, but I looked at what was in the eating out budget and cooked some convenience foods from the freezer. 

Tomorrow I'm getting the girls their pool passes for our neighborhood pool. It's free for them, but really small and the old people in the park don't like kids in general and teens in particular, so we don't use it too often. Youngest is getting a pool pass to the park pool for the summer; I have the money for that, I just haven't done it yet. 

I'm kind of just trucking along. We've had a couple of doctor appointments this week which reminded me I have to call and hound our insurance for a couple of appointments they've done wrong. I hate calling them, but one of my DD's doctors calls me the "Aetna Whisperer" since I can sometimes get them to do things correctly and she has yet to succeed with them. So, I'll give it a go tomorrow. 

Girl, I got to call the insurance too. I've been putting it off because I havent' had a lot of time this week but I'm doing it today. I'm going straight to escalation this time as it is the same provider they screwed up last time. It is such a PITA.

I got ds' car licensed, ya! Dd3 had a filling yesterday but they said they'll send me the bill. No bill for ds' dentist visit yesterday as they just looked at it and said he needed a crown.

I don't think we'll be doing the pool pass this year with all the other expenses. We'll be hitting the lake instead.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 15 yo has not been able to ride a bike for a couple of years because of her medical condition, and it's just not safe. One of our neighbors gifted her a trike! I can't believe it - it looks like new. Similar to this one, but bright red. https://www.seventhavenue.com/p/adult-tricycle-773639.html?source=bing&code=PLA_Campaign-Computer&medium=inhaus&link=mi-s-default-689810&cm_mmc=bing-_-PLA_Campaign-Computer-_-All+Products-_-mi-s-default-689810&cm_mmca1=ABG&msclkid=2f2ec492c3ce1690a5a0a42bb77caf6a  She is so excited she was literally shaking when she came inside to tell me. Dh was with her and accepted it on her behalf. She'll be writing a thank you letter and youngest will make some delicious cookies for him. 

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As of today, our only debt is the mortgage!!!


Next goal:

Max IRAs and put $1200 into the kids’ 529 accounts (this is our minimum to get our state’s full tax credit) by the end of the year.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Condessa said:

As of today, our only debt is the mortgage!!!


Next goal:

Max IRAs and put $1200 into the kids’ 529 accounts (this is our minimum to get our state’s full tax credit) by the end of the year.

Ya!!! Congrats!

10 hours ago, historically accurate said:

My 15 yo has not been able to ride a bike for a couple of years because of her medical condition, and it's just not safe. One of our neighbors gifted her a trike! I can't believe it - it looks like new. Similar to this one, but bright red. https://www.seventhavenue.com/p/adult-tricycle-773639.html?source=bing&code=PLA_Campaign-Computer&medium=inhaus&link=mi-s-default-689810&cm_mmc=bing-_-PLA_Campaign-Computer-_-All+Products-_-mi-s-default-689810&cm_mmca1=ABG&msclkid=2f2ec492c3ce1690a5a0a42bb77caf6a  She is so excited she was literally shaking when she came inside to tell me. Dh was with her and accepted it on her behalf. She'll be writing a thank you letter and youngest will make some delicious cookies for him. 

 

 

That is wonderful!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Condessa said:

As of today, our only debt is the mortgage!!!


Next goal:

Max IRAs and put $1200 into the kids’ 529 accounts (this is our minimum to get our state’s full tax credit) by the end of the year.

It is certainly an amazing feeling to only have the mortgage as your debt.  We've been there for about 7 years minus the times we've chosen to go the 0% cc route and pay it off instead of dipping into our emergency fund but never going above the cash we had on hand.

 

Good luck with the next goals

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DD was already out with DH on a bike ride this morning! She's stable on it! If she gets dizzy (which she did one time in the 30ish minute ride), she can just stop peddling and wait it out. On a two wheeled bike, she usually feels dizzy thoughout (because of the slight leaning over maybe?) and keeping upright when dizzy didn't work. Yay!! We had been looking at the low recumbent bikes for her, but honestly, it probably would've never made it to the top of the needs/wants list long enough to save for it. 

Getting an extra day of work this morning in since I got paid on Monday for the holiday. That money will go to my new washing machine. I'm still keeping an eye on marketplace, but we'll have enough for a lower-priced new one in a week or two. So, we'll see what shakes out (hopefully, not the tub to my current washer LOL).

Middle DD got into a virtual summer class off of the waitlist yesterday. My mom offered to pay for it, so she'll be doing forensics this summer.

I have a list of things that need some money spent, hoping this weekend I can sit down and come up with a plan: Oldest needs a few new clothes before going back to college. She'd also like an interview suit. Youngest needs sandals like yesterday (it's hitting 92 degrees today). We should get her a period swimsuit as well. Middle needs a swimming suit, although it's possible she'll fit into one of my old ones. I've got to dig those out and see what they look like. 

Still working on medical bills - I'll need to call again next week since I had to leave a message yesterday after waiting 1 hour on hold. Ugh! I sincerely doubt I'll be getting a call back if it's like last time. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

DD was already out with DH on a bike ride this morning! She's stable on it! If she gets dizzy (which she did one time in the 30ish minute ride), she can just stop peddling and wait it out. On a two wheeled bike, she usually feels dizzy thoughout (because of the slight leaning over maybe?) and keeping upright when dizzy didn't work. Yay!! We had been looking at the low recumbent bikes for her, but honestly, it probably would've never made it to the top of the needs/wants list long enough to save for it. 

Getting an extra day of work this morning in since I got paid on Monday for the holiday. That money will go to my new washing machine. I'm still keeping an eye on marketplace, but we'll have enough for a lower-priced new one in a week or two. So, we'll see what shakes out (hopefully, not the tub to my current washer LOL).

Middle DD got into a virtual summer class off of the waitlist yesterday. My mom offered to pay for it, so she'll be doing forensics this summer.

I have a list of things that need some money spent, hoping this weekend I can sit down and come up with a plan: Oldest needs a few new clothes before going back to college. She'd also like an interview suit. Youngest needs sandals like yesterday (it's hitting 92 degrees today). We should get her a period swimsuit as well. Middle needs a swimming suit, although it's possible she'll fit into one of my old ones. I've got to dig those out and see what they look like. 

Still working on medical bills - I'll need to call again next week since I had to leave a message yesterday after waiting 1 hour on hold. Ugh! I sincerely doubt I'll be getting a call back if it's like last time. 

Fingers crossed your washer lasts until you get the funds saved for the new one. It just has to hold out a bit longer.

I'm sorry you had to be on hold forever and still didn't get resolution. Have you tried escalating the claim? I had good luck with that when they kept screwing it up. I was going to do that today but it was already taken care of so I didn't have to bring out my grumpy mom voice.

Ya! The bike is working out!

___________________

I finally called health insurance as well. My procrastination paid off as she said the claims had just been approved, ya! I have to pay them because we've not met deductible but I knew those were coming and had budgeted when we had the visits (guesstimated off of previous visits). Hopefully, she gets me a bill soon. I'd rather just pay it and have it cleared. Paid a different bill from another provider. I got that before I left on vaca but didn't get around to doing it.

FINALLY got the cost for the girl's black belt camp it is $30 over the expected cost, vs the $40 that I was told it might be. I'll be sending a check for that today when I drop them off. I drained all the other fun categories for the month to finish funding the increase in costs for camp and the church camp dd2 decided she wanted to do. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 7:55 PM, Condessa said:

As of today, our only debt is the mortgage!!!


Next goal:

Max IRAs and put $1200 into the kids’ 529 accounts (this is our minimum to get our state’s full tax credit) by the end of the year.

Congrats!!!

We hit that goal a few years ago, it really is such a relief.    On to the next goals!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 7:34 PM, historically accurate said:

My 15 yo has not been able to ride a bike for a couple of years because of her medical condition, and it's just not safe. One of our neighbors gifted her a trike! I can't believe it - it looks like new. Similar to this one, but bright red. https://www.seventhavenue.com/p/adult-tricycle-773639.html?source=bing&code=PLA_Campaign-Computer&medium=inhaus&link=mi-s-default-689810&cm_mmc=bing-_-PLA_Campaign-Computer-_-All+Products-_-mi-s-default-689810&cm_mmca1=ABG&msclkid=2f2ec492c3ce1690a5a0a42bb77caf6a  She is so excited she was literally shaking when she came inside to tell me. Dh was with her and accepted it on her behalf. She'll be writing a thank you letter and youngest will make some delicious cookies for him. 

 

 

AWWWW.  That is the nicest thing!  I am so happy she go that.  Just in time for summer!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2021 at 8:08 PM, hjffkj said:

Paid for dd's dance intensives.  Even though it was already fit in the budget it certainly was a tough thing to pay for.  It is just so expensive.  I miss the days where the kids only did kung-fu because that was free

Sing it sister!  Dance is so expensive and it just gets more and more expensive every year.  Moving up in levels, more hours, shoes (I shudder on point shoes), tights, leos, privates, intensives, auditions.....  It never ends.     We paid for intensives back in January so our summer is going to be low dance spending.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just got back from vacation.  Had an amazing time.  We are all ready to move to South Dakota.  Just stunning there and the places we stayed were so crazy cool.  I wish we would have gone all these years.  Looking at maybe another trip there this summer.  I spent pretty much what I thought we would.  

Back to real life in the morning.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2021 at 6:35 AM, Soror said:

So, new expense for June. Ds totaled his car (he is perfectly fine- driving to fast in an empty parking lot). Trying to decide what to do. I don't think it would be worth going through insurance with the deductible and worth of the car. We are car shopping, not sure which fund this will be taken from just yet and how much to spend. Dh thinks we can get some out of the car for parts.

Oh I am so sorry.  I am so happy he is ok.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grocery pick up today.

PIcked up one dog from the kennel yesterday.  We had family come and stay with our older dog, so saved money there.

Bought ODD new pairs of pointe shoes.   Hoping that the order goes well with that.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Grocery pick up today.

PIcked up one dog from the kennel yesterday.  We had family come and stay with our older dog, so saved money there.

Bought ODD new pairs of pointe shoes.   Hoping that the order goes well with that.  

Welcome back! Glad you had a good time.

____________________

Vaca fund to 80% Woot! Woot! Check was still a bit light this month with vaca but I had extra cash back due to more spending.

Doing menu and grocery list today.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soror, Way to go on your Vaca fund! How exciting - 100% is within reach!!

Mommyto5, Welcome back! 

 

Some of my ebay/marketplace items sold this week - yay! An extra $60ish bucks or so. 

My budget meeting with the new director gained me 5(!!!!) hours of pay on Saturday - it was supposed to be a 2 hour meeting, but OMG, it was 5!! Good thing DH was available to do the appointments I was supposed to do then. 

DH is off on Thursday (using up his PTO before year end), so he's picking up summer meals at a park that day since the school doesn't resume their meals until next week. Middle DD should finally get her braces off then - they've been teasing her with "maybe next time, maybe next time" for a few months. It's finally here.

My cousin, who I haven't seen in years, is in town for the next few days. Of course, I am insanely busy this week - it's like pre-pandemic busy this week, but I am squeezing in some time on Wednesday to see her!

I got most of DD's birthday gift on rebate (a whole bunch of different sized canvases) and the second piece on sale (acrylic paints in the colors she's almost out of). Yay!! Her birthday isn't till July, but it was a good deal, and what was in my gift fund covered it, which was a really nice feeling. 

I found a washing machine on FB marketplace that looks nice, hoping to find some time to go look at it today. Also found a cute little cabinet for the girls' bathroom this morning - their vanity doesn't have any drawers and they really need more/better storage in there for when all 3 are here. I don't know if I have time to squeeze in a trip to the other side of the city though. 

The Orkin man came back last night and said that we can fill the vole holes up as they had taken the bait in several of the bait boxes. This way if we fill the holes he knows exactly which ones are still active. So, we'll have to buy dirt this week. 

Middle DD is ok with a couple of my old swimsuits. They're not her favorite, but they'll suffice for the season. So, I don't have to purchase her a suit this year. My brother gave us a Walmart gift card that he was given by his landlord (I usually pick up his grocery order with mine), so I will use that to go clothes shopping with oldest (she needs some tees) and possibly sandals for youngest. My mom mailed me a new purse (she used a couple of times and didn't like) and a work shirt that she bought when she had to use up Bealls Bucks (like Kohl's cash).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Welcome back! Glad you had a good time.

____________________

Vaca fund to 80% Woot! Woot! Check was still a bit light this month with vaca but I had extra cash back due to more spending.

Doing menu and grocery list today.

That is so awesome about the vacation fund.  Did you nail down where you are going and for how long?

Don't know if you are still travel hacking, but this card has the best bonus it ever has had.

Chase Sapphire Card Collection | Chase.com

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

so what does 100,000 bonus points equate to in  dollars?

How much are Chase points worth? | Million Mile Secrets

If you are redeeming them on a Chase Sapphire card then about $1250.    You can get a lot more value using them however.  Dh and I opened our own CSR cards when the bonus was 100k points.   

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh! My car broke down last night from visiting my cousin. I was able to get it home with no towing, but ugh.

Washing machine purchase is on hold until we find out the cost to repair the car. I'm going to work on the budget to shove more stuff around to find $ for the car this afternoon. 

I have a couple of returns to mail back. I don't know if it will get done with only the one car today. Maybe this weekend?

 

 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Ugh! My car broke down last night from visiting my cousin. I was able to get it home with no towing, but ugh.

Washing machine purchase is on hold until we find out the cost to repair the car. I'm going to work on the budget to shove more stuff around to find $ for the car this afternoon. 

I have a couple of returns to mail back. I don't know if it will get done with only the one car today. Maybe this weekend?

 

 

Ugh.  I am sorry about your car.  I hope it is an easy and cheap fix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well we will either be replacing a toilet this weekend or replacing the flapper.  Obviously the flapper is going to be cheaper, but I would like to replace all the toilets anyhow.  Anyone done this?  We never have so I am trying to figure out how hard this would be. 

 

Picked up a few things at Aldi.

Got the kids all new cheap croc like sandals at Aldi.  Good for just junky stuff like chicken tending and stuff like that at home.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 8:16 AM, historically accurate said:

Ugh! My car broke down last night from visiting my cousin. I was able to get it home with no towing, but ugh.

Washing machine purchase is on hold until we find out the cost to repair the car. I'm going to work on the budget to shove more stuff around to find $ for the car this afternoon. 

I have a couple of returns to mail back. I don't know if it will get done with only the one car today. Maybe this weekend?

 

 

What's the word?   I hope it isn't too bad 😞

19 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Well we will either be replacing a toilet this weekend or replacing the flapper.  Obviously the flapper is going to be cheaper, but I would like to replace all the toilets anyhow.  Anyone done this?  We never have so I am trying to figure out how hard this would be. 

 

Picked up a few things at Aldi.

Got the kids all new cheap croc like sandals at Aldi.  Good for just junky stuff like chicken tending and stuff like that at home.

Dh has installed and replaced. Looked like it was a pain in the butt but he hates plumbing.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:19 AM, mommyoffive said:

That is so awesome about the vacation fund.  Did you nail down where you are going and for how long?

Don't know if you are still travel hacking, but this card has the best bonus it ever has had.

Chase Sapphire Card Collection | Chase.com

I seen that, we did those when we went to Europe, great bonus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Soror said:

What's the word?   I hope it isn't too bad 😞

Dh has installed and replaced. Looked like it was a pain in the butt but he hates plumbing.

I seen that, we did those when we went to Europe, great bonus.

Oh bummer that you already did them.  Did you and your dh each have your own separate accounts?  If only your dh opened an account last time then you could this time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not spending a lot expect vehicle expenses which have been a whole lot.

Was going to get my hair highlighted as a pick me up (very rare thing for me to do) but decided against it with swimming in pools planned, not worth the risk. 

They had a meeting at dh's work and they will be getting bonuses. The bonuses written into his contract that he didn't get last year (bosses gave themselves one but no one else). It is supposed to be good, no clue how much. These are coming in August. WE'll see how things look by then and how much. I'm hoping to give my car fund a boost but with all the vehicle and medical expenses who knows how much will be left.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...