Menu

What is the Derek Owens of Biology or Chemistry?

5 hours ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

Is there anything for biology or chemistry like Derek Owens? Thinkwell seems to only be AP level.

Videos and assignments, you mean? Have you looked at FundaFunda biology? (I wish they’d change the name. I don’t want to put “Funda Funda Academy” on my kid’s transcript, so I may have to do it differently than I did my oldest’s, but the biology class was good.)

• Like 3

Yeah, I don’t like the “Learning should be FUN” in multicolored fonts business, but some derivation of “Funda” is means learning in several African languages, one of which I assume the founder speaks as she is an immigrant from South Africa.  I think you could just list the name of the instructor as it’s not accredited.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, stripe said:

Yeah, I don’t like the “Learning should be FUN” in multicolored fonts business, but some derivation of “Funda” is means learning in several African languages, one of which I assume the founder speaks as she is an immigrant from South Africa.  I think you could just list the name of the instructor as it’s not accredited.

That is good to know. I had wondered if there was a meaning I wasn’t getting. For some reason it always makes me think of Fundy, Fundy homeschoolers 😊. Which isn’t how I want to advertise my highschooler’s science studies 😉

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

No teacher, but videos with notes for physics and chemistry: Chemistry & Physics | Georgia Public Broadcasting (gpb.org)

Connie (Clover Valley) does have asynchronous parent-graded option: Quick link summary for courses and options – Clover Valley Chemistry

I haven't looked at the FundaFunda, but we were doing a second round of biology by that time, so went with ModernStates' CLEP prep course along with a book. 

Edited by MamaSprout

10 hours ago, KSera said:

Videos and assignments, you mean? Have you looked at FundaFunda biology? (I wish they’d change the name. I don’t want to put “Funda Funda Academy” on my kid’s transcript, so I may have to do it differently than I did my oldest’s, but the biology class was good.)

You don't even have to list the instructor if you don't want. I think transcripts are cleaner without all the providers - and colleges don't care much or know who any of them are anyway.

Seconding that I think FundaFunda might come closest, though it's got a different feel for sure.

Clover Valley chemistry is a great option! Connie is an amazing teacher and she's wonderfully organized. My oldest took her chemistry class last year and it was a great experience. Lab included which I was quite happy with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

You don't even have to list the instructor if you don't want. I think transcripts are cleaner without all the providers - and colleges don't care much or know who any of them are anyway.

Yeah. With my oldest, I just wanted to indicate in some way that those classes were taken with an outside provider. It gave a more complete picture of how we homeschooled to show that not all classes were taken at home. She didn’t have as many outsourced as my current high schooler, though. I have a couple years still to stew on how I want to do it this time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Yeah. With my oldest, I just wanted to indicate in some way that those classes were taken with an outside provider. It gave a more complete picture of how we homeschooled to show that not all classes were taken at home. She didn’t have as many outsourced as my current high schooler, though. I have a couple years still to stew on how I want to do it this time. 

Just to share our experience, not outsourcing classes has not impacted my kids negatively at all.  My last 2 homeschool graduates had 2-3 total outsourced classes all the way through high school.  My current rising college sophomore took German through German Online and Connie's chem class (the latter I didn't note as taken by an outside source on her transcript).  My just graduated college dd took private Russian lessons and 1 DE spring of sr yr (so no grade when she applied and was accepted).  Both were accepted to college with no problem and with scholarships.  My older dd was awarded her large public OOS U's top competitive scholarship (only 20 OOS students receive the award).  The mantra to outsource in order to validate homeschooling is not a factually accurate narrative.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

Just to share our experience, not outsourcing classes has not impacted my kids negatively at all.  My last 2 homeschool graduates had 2-3 total outsourced classes all the way through high school.  My current rising college sophomore took German through German Online and Connie's chem class (the latter I didn't note as taken by an outside source on her transcript).  My just graduated college dd took private Russian lessons and 1 DE spring of sr yr (so no grade when she applied and was accepted).  Both were accepted to college with no problem and with scholarships.  My older dd was awarded her large public OOS U's top competitive scholarship (only 20 OOS students receive the award).  The mantra to outsource in order to validate homeschooling is not a factually accurate narrative.

Oh, I totally know outsourcing is not necessary. I just felt, as I said, that it gave a more accurate, complete picture of what her schooling had been like to note those classes taken with someone else. I know I didn’t have to do it that way, and I don’t expect it would have made a difference in where she was accepted.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:18 AM, ShepCarlin said:

Clover Valley chemistry is a great option! Connie is an amazing teacher and she's wonderfully organized. My oldest took her chemistry class last year and it was a great experience. Lab included which I was quite happy with.

I 2nd or 3rd Clover Valley Chemistry!  My boys just finished her regular chemistry and learned so much!  She now has a Chemistry with Honors Option and her Advanced Honors Chemistry.  Wonderful teacher and the whole year flowed really well for this class!

https://clovervalleychemistry.com/

I guess one of the reasons I wouldn't call Clover Valley (which is an excellent, excellent course) the Derek Owens of chemistry is that either you're doing it with firm deadlines and live help sessions OR you're doing it without any teacher support at all other than the parent. To me, the key elements of Derek Owens are that it's totally asynchronous and has teacher grading with solid step by step feedback.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

This is not secular science. I wouldn't relate this to Derek Owens or the other recs at all.

https://www.collegeprepscience.com

Also, in addition to what SeaConquest shared, even if you are okay with it  being Christian, it has this caveat on all of the self-paced year long courses "This class is designed for students who will likely not be college science majors or who may not attend college."

• Like 4

I was thinking about this more... you know what else sort of is? UC Scout. I don't love UC Scout, but if you have to hand off the subject, don't need/want a live class, but do want an organized course with grading... that's what it is. The format with the lectures and notes isn't the same and you have to start and end at a certain time - inside the course time is asynchronous though. But that's also all true of FundaFunda.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

https://www.collegeprepscience.com

Also, in addition to what SeaConquest shared, even if you are okay with it  being Christian, it has this caveat on all of the self-paced year long courses "This class is designed for students who will likely not be college science majors or who may not attend college."

What a misleading name for their website, then. Eesh. 

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, stripe said:

I think FundaFunda has deadlines, not just a start and end date.

It does. It is a great asynchronous class, and the teacher is very nice and willing to work with students to make them successful. It isn't completely open-ended like DO, but probably the next best thing. I would encourage you to contact her if you have questions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stripe said:

That was our experience with it.  Each week the work was posted on Saturday but it was due the following Thursday.  Hopefully some of the other teachers work it differently where the next week's work is posted the day the current week's work is due.

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

I was thinking about this more... you know what else sort of is? UC Scout. I don't love UC Scout, but if you have to hand off the subject, don't need/want a live class, but do want an organized course with grading... that's what it is. The format with the lectures and notes isn't the same and you have to start and end at a certain time - inside the course time is asynchronous though. But that's also all true of FundaFunda.

Can you explain a little more about this? It seems like there are three tiers: Basic, plus, and a live course.  It doesn't look like the basic includes grading? Or did I miss something?  Also I wasn't sure if homeschoolers could purchase  plus since we are not schools?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

It does. It is a great asynchronous class, and the teacher is very nice and willing to work with students to make them successful. It isn't completely open-ended like DO, but probably the next best thing. I would encourage you to contact her if you have questions.

My kids have taken FF classes, and that’s how they’ve been, but I didn’t want to over generalize.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

I actually wish DO had an option with deadlines. I love his classes, but my kids always tend to get behind, because they don’t have the pressure of a deadline, so it can tend to slide in favor of their classes that do. They’ve taken several of his classes, and it’s been rare for a dc to finish within the school year and not have to continue the course over Summer to finish. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KSera said:

I actually wish DO had an option with deadlines. I love his classes, but my kids always tend to get behind, because they don’t have the pressure of a deadline, so it can tend to slide in favor of their classes that do. They’ve taken several of his classes, and it’s been rare for a dc to finish within the school year and not have to continue the course over Summer to finish. 

Yep. My kid's still working on Pre-Calc. He'll be done soon... ish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Can you explain a little more about this? It seems like there are three tiers: Basic, plus, and a live course.  It doesn't look like the basic includes grading? Or did I miss something?  Also I wasn't sure if homeschoolers could purchase  plus since we are not schools?

Homeschoolers can purchase. The basic and the plus are just the content and the parent has to oversee it and grade it. The plus comes with some ability for the parent/teacher to use the gradebook on the system, I think? The "on demand" is the option that comes with an actual teacher who is available to grade and give feedback. Who you get as a teacher is luck of the draw. But it provides outside grading and feedback as well as support while the course is still asynchronous - as long as you finish within the final deadline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

No kidding!!! Third year in a row that ds is finishing up math a few weeks after the end of the semester! Even with two years of pep talks and supposedly weekly meetings to check in on progress.

I guess I can back off slightly knowing that this issue is not unique to us. 😜

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 9:54 PM, KSera said:

My dd just did this class this year and it was really good. I hadn't thought about the transcript aspect yet lol but I get what you mean about that!

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, SeaConquest said:

What a misleading name for their website, then. Eesh. 

But I thought they had science classes for kids who were not heading for a science major, then other science classes that were considered college prep? The website isn't the easiest to navigate. 

Under the description for College Prep Biology ....

"Note: If a student is not going to college or is not going to be a science major in college, you may want to consider our less rigorous, but solid, "Standard Biology for Non-Majors" class. See details and description on this page"

6 minutes ago, MagistraKennedy said:

But I thought they had science classes for kids who were not heading for a science major, then other science classes that were considered college prep? The website isn't the easiest to navigate. 

Under the description for College Prep Biology ....

"Note: If a student is not going to college or is not going to be a science major in college, you may want to consider our less rigorous, but solid, "Standard Biology for Non-Majors" class. See details and description on this page"

True. I had pointed out that the self paced courses are not college prep because that was the discussion of the thread. The classes you are referring to are live/synchronous. 

As an additional PSA. Those that don’t know the prior history with Greg Landry might want to read some old threads here. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 12:11 PM, KSera said:

The open-endness of DO is both a blessing and curse. It does allow us to work around other time contraints (especially my daughter's Irish dance competitions). The first year with pre-Calc she stayed pretty much on schedule. But this year was a heavy dance year and I allowed her to prioritize her British Lit class, the teacher of which had strict deadlines. If we are lucky, both Calculus and Physics will be done by the end of August. Since the British Lit class wrapped up, I have been able to keep her pretty close to the weekly plan on the DO syllabus. 

On 6/2/2021 at 2:00 PM, SeaConquest said:

This is not secular science. I wouldn't relate this to Derek Owens or the other recs at all.

Oh dear, I must have misread. I did not realize she was asking for a secular option. I didn't read what you read between the lines at all. It was just a suggestion. You have your opinion. I have mine. Go away.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, mamamoose said:

Oh dear, I must have misread. I did not realize she was asking for a secular option. I didn't read what you read between the lines at all. It was just a suggestion. You have your opinion. I have mine. Go away.

This question asked for the Derek Owens of science, which says "standard science that will prepare you for a STEM major in college" to me. Hence the comment. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mamamoose said:

Additionally, if your kiddo is college bound in the sciences, a self paced student led class just isn't going to cut it these days.

Not our experience at all—my kids had multiple acceptances to highly selective colleges with scholarships and the both had some self paced student led classes ( including science and all math classes) on their transcript. I have friends online and irl with the same.

• Like 5

Just now, freesia said:

Not our experience at all—my kids had multiple acceptances to highly selective colleges with scholarships and the both had some self paced student led classes ( including science and all math classes) on their transcript. I have friends online and irl with the same.

I believe our experience is similar to yours, but I wasn't sure what she meant by student-led in connection to an asynchronous class.  Is deciding whether to do the work necessary in order to complete the course student led? Is a student teaching the course?  "Led" implies to me that the student has some sort of ownership over the course content.  I don't see asynchronous classes as student led, just self-paced.

From our experience asynchronous classes where students have to be responsible for independently pacing themselves to accomplish objectives are actually a great transition to college classes where students are responsible for their paying attention to syllabi deadlines and submitting work in a timely manner vs. having someone tell them what to do when bc attending class/submitting homework in a college situation is voluntary.  Only grades will reflect the choices made.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mamamoose said:

Why should I go away, exactly?

All the recommendations prior to yours seemed to have "read between the lines" in the same way that I did. When someone asked for the Derek Owens of something, we all seemed to have assumed that the OP was asking for a rigorous, secular, self-paced science course that is run by an established provider with an excellent reputation. You recommended a course that is not rigorous, not secular, and run by a man that has personally defrauded numerous members of this community for tens of thousands of dollars. Perhaps, this isn't just a difference of opinion. 

• Like 4

Self-paced has zero to do with the quality of a course.

I do think that some subjects really benefit from interaction with others - especially literature and to a lesser extent some of the social sciences and some science courses like environmental science if it's done well guided by a solid teacher. But even then, it's not a must in order to have a rigorous education or to demonstrate to colleges that you had a rigorous education. Colleges can't tell the difference most of time anyway. If they focus on any aspect of the curriculum, it's the resources. And a good textbook is a good textbook whether you did it in a traditional class or on your own.

• Like 5

On 6/4/2021 at 2:37 AM, stripe said:

It actually reads as having both.  Some subjects are self paced but most you enrol for the semester or both semesters.  I signed ds12 up for one semester of middle school Latin in the hope it will keep us both accountable and the owner said it is one of the few courses they also offer a self paced version for.