Menu

Why do I live here?

mom2scouts

We're planning an outdoor homeschool graduation ceremony and party for Saturday. Last weekend was 80 degrees and sunny. Today is 70 degrees and sunny. Saturday's forecast is for 50 degrees and rain all day. 😟 Our house is small, but we may need to move indoors. I'm sad for DS that we can't have a nice day or at least a little sun after all the losses he's had as a high school student during Covid.

DH and I both grew up in this general part of the state and have always lived in this area, but the older we get the more we hate the weather here. It's one of the cloudiest places and the weather can be anything. We had snow on Mother's Day and then 80 degrees a week later. We're getting closer and closer to seriously looking at moving further south after our last child leaves home.

Please pray that, even if it's cold and cloudy, the rain holds off so we can be outside!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

We're planning an outdoor homeschool graduation ceremony and party for Saturday. Last weekend was 80 degrees and sunny. Today is 70 degrees and sunny. Saturday's forecast is for 50 degrees and rain all day. 😟 Our house is small, but we may need to move indoors. I'm sad for DS that we can't have a nice day or at least a little sun after all the losses he's had as a high school student during Covid.

DH and I both grew up in this general part of the state and have always lived in this area, but the older we get the more we hate the weather here. It's one of the cloudiest places and the weather can be anything. We had snow on Mother's Day and then 80 degrees a week later. We're getting closer and closer to seriously looking at moving further south after our last child leaves home.

Please pray that, even if it's cold and cloudy, the rain holds off so we can be outside!

I live in the same area and we can't wait to get out of here.  We've been stuck here due to family obligations, but the weather is really wearing on us.  We're right in the snowbelt and hate the snow now that the kids are grown and they aren't here to enjoy it anymore. I do think wide temperature fluctuations are common in spring/fall in many areas, though.  It's the snow that we are just done with.

Good luck on Saturday.  I hope the rain clears out in time.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I live in the same area and we can't wait to get out of here.  We've been stuck here due to family obligations, but the weather is really wearing on us.  We're right in the snowbelt and hate the snow now that the kids are grown and they aren't here to enjoy it anymore. I do think wide temperature fluctuations are common in spring/fall in many areas, though.  It's the snow that we are just done with.

Good luck on Saturday.  I hope the rain clears out in time.  

One of my kids moved to Florida a few years ago. He LOVES the sunshine and warm weather there and says he'll never move back. He's coming for his brother's graduation and was not happy when he heard the weather forecast.

I wouldn't even mind the snow or temperature variations so much if we at least had more sunshine!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Hope the weather holds up and preferably turns sunny. Your forecast rain can come to California instead, we are in drought conditions here.

We could use it here too, although I know CA generally has way worse droughts than us. We are more in the dry season than a true drought, I think. Either way, even my native, "drought tolerant" plants are shriveling up and dying. 

• Like 2

You sound like you live close to me.   This is great sleeping weather, but yeah I feel like it stinks about 6 months out of the year.  I am not a cold lover and I would move to Arizona in a heartbeat.  Mind you I have never been there in summer.  But I feel like you just stay inside like I do almost all of winter.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

One of my kids moved to Florida a few years ago. He LOVES the sunshine and warm weather there and says he'll never move back. He's coming for his brother's graduation and was not happy when he heard the weather forecast.

I wouldn't even mind the snow or temperature variations so much if we at least had more sunshine!

Same here.  Dd went to TX for college and loves it there so much.  She's going back for a month in the middle of the summer (TX heat in July - not for me) just to get a break from being here.  

When my adult sons came home for the holidays, it was cloudy every. single. day. they were home.  They never saw the sun!  It was ridiculous.  

• Like 1

Funny you mention this, OP.  Just this morning, I was doing a quiz thing on picking the place you should retire to.   I wanted 80s in July and 30-40s in January.  That’s not too much to ask!   Today it was in the nineties here.  😱

On my way to pickup groceries, I saw a helicopter with a water bag under it.  I guess they were practicing for wildfires which is seeming highly possible right now because of how dry it is.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hope the weather is nice for your party.

I love living where there is *variety* in the weather. Cloudy days, sunny days, overcast days, cool, warm, cold, hot. I just love it!

I've lived in AZ, and San Diego and haaaaated the weather. The sameness of the days was depressing. Ugh. It was so boring! Not to mention very uncomfortable for someone who can't handle heat above 75 and gets an itchy rash from the sun.

It's 55 here right now and DH and I just got back from a glorious walk in the beautiful weather. DH does hate the cold (-40)  so as a compromise, we will prrobably become snowbirds when he retires.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 5

I think we're in the same area, and dd15 just qualified to run in the Regional track meet Saturday. Meets early in the season are often freezing, but how is it possible to have such crappy weather late May??

I've been thinking more lately of moving for retirement. What clinched it was when I realized that I'm seeing about 75% fewer sunrises and sunsets living here because it's so often cloudy.

I really hope the weather shifts for ds's party, @mom2scouts. How about a sprinkle in the morning and clearing in time for the festivities! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

I love living where there is *variety* in the weather. Cloudy days, sunny days, overcast days, cool, warm, cold, hot. I just love it!

I've lived in AZ, and San Diego and haaaaated the weather. The sameness of the days was depressing. Ugh. It was so boring! Not to mention very uncomfortable for someone who can't handle heat above 75 and gets an itchy rash from the sun.

It's 55 here right now and DH and I just got back from a glorious walk in the beautiful weather. DH does hate the cold (-40)  so as a compromise, we will prrobably become snowbirds when he retires.

I don't really mind variety in the weather. I probably wouldn't like living somewhere that's always warm and there's no change in the seasons. It's just that the swings are often so big that it's hard to plan anything outdoors and, the biggest thing for me, it's always so cloudy here. Last year, over 200 days were cloudy and we sometimes go months without seeing the sun and that really starts to get depressing after awhile. There's really a lot of things to like about where I live, but I crave sunshine.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I don't really mind variety in the weather. I probably wouldn't like living somewhere that's always warm and there's no change in the seasons. It's just that the swings are often so big that it's hard to plan anything outdoors and, the biggest thing for me, it's always so cloudy here. Last year, over 200 days were cloudy and we sometimes go months without seeing the sun and that really starts to get depressing after awhile. There's really a lot of things to like about where I live, but I crave sunshine.

Yep, that really gets to me too.  I like a day or two like that.  It makes it great to sleep, but after it gets me down more than a day or two. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fraidycat said:

You have described everything that I love about San Diego. The weather is within 10 degrees +/- of 75 degrees for 90% of the year. It is perfection. No need to mess with perfection! I love the sun! 3 days of gray and my DH and I are about to murder each other.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

You have described everything that I love about San Diego. The weather is within 10 degrees +/- of 75 degrees for 90% of the year. It is perfection. No need to mess with perfection! I love the sun! 3 days of gray and my DH and I are about to murder each other.

5 years. It was hell. Mostly 10-20 degrees OVER 75. 75 is my max. 😂 Beautiful city, awful weather. But, you live on a boat, right? The weather would be better on the coast. We were inland/east. National City, Mira Mesa, and Eastlake. Hot. 🥵 I hid indoors in the a/c for your 90%, and enjoyed the other 10. 😎

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I love sameness of days. I like to keep a simple wardrobe and fewer climate variations make that possible. I always tell my husband that if I really wanted to see snow I could book a ski trip. 

I lived in Northern California and also in two monsoon climates (winter dry, summer wet).  I really didn't like the predictability.  I love our changing weather in Scotland: bad things rarely stay for long and there's endless variety.  I remember my BIL coming off the Old Course in St Andrews completely happy at having played a round on the famous course but, dressed for summer in Texas, having experienced: sun, horizontal sleet, rainbows, sun, hale, sun. 

I've never seen as many rainbows as I have since we moved here.

We've had a cool, wet spring, with frosts well into May.  My tomato plants are still sitting on a window sill waiting to be planted out.  But today the sun is shining, the grass is incredibly green and the weather feels like a gift in a way that a sunny day in N California never did.

• Like 6

I live in Ohio and you are describing our weather.

90 degrees and 50 degrees in 24 hours? Check.  Snow and 70 degrees in one week? Check.  Gloom throughout most of the winter? Check. 

Last week it was in the 90s and we were all dying and now that the pool will be open it is 70 something.

It's mad. 

That said, I do love the seasons and my brother who moved to FL always says how much he misses the seasons here.

I hope your party goes well despite unpredictable weather!

• Like 3

It's cold and rainy today, so I don't have much hope for tomorrow. Either we freeze outside or somehow try to squeeze everyone into the house. At least I know most of the people are vaccinated, but I don't know how we'll fit into a room. Last weekend was 80 and sunny and the forecast for next weekend is 76 and sunny so why did I have to pick this weekend?😟

• Sad 3

Sounds like life near the Great Lakes!  I live near Buffalo, NY.  Less than a week ago we hit almost 90*, right now it is 39* with a high of 47* expected.  We only average 3 days more sun than Seattle, average half an inch more rain, and average 84.8 inches of snow compared to their 4.6!  And we’re the 3rd windiest city in the US, above Chicago!   

I love where I live in many ways, but the weather unpredictability is not one of the things I love!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I've never seen as many rainbows as I have since we moved here.

We've had a cool, wet spring, with frosts well into May.  My tomato plants are still sitting on a window sill waiting to be planted out.  But today the sun is shining, the grass is incredibly green and the weather feels like a gift in a way that a sunny day in N California never did.

I have a bunch of (terrible) photos of rainbows from my honeymoon in Scotland! They were amazing - you really could see BOTH ends...it was mindblowing. I found Scotland to be the prettiest place I'd ever seen (admittedly I've not been a ton of places). We would round a corner and see another gorgeous vista and start complaining that it wasn't even realistic, how pretty things were, lol. 

We were there in October and we found the weather changed throughout the day, sunny to overcast to rainy to sunny very quickly - I loved that! Florida is similar actually - whatever the weather, wait an hour and it will likely change. Or it used to be....last few years it seems to stay overcast much longer than when i was growing up - which I do NOT like. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, *Jessica* said:

Sounds like life near the Great Lakes!  I live near Buffalo, NY.  Less than a week ago we hit almost 90*, right now it is 39* with a high of 47* expected.  We only average 3 days more sun than Seattle, average half an inch more rain, and average 84.8 inches of snow compared to their 4.6!  And we’re the 3rd windiest city in the US, above Chicago!   

I love where I live in many ways, but the weather unpredictability is not one of the things I love!  

My husband's cousins tried to convince us we should move to Ohio, near Dayton. They even sent us a promotional video for their city. I watched it, then replied that even in the promotional video there wasn't a single clip of a sunny day, lol. Big NOPE. 

I get stabby without sunshine. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I love sameness of days. I like to keep a simple wardrobe and fewer climate variations make that possible. I always tell my husband that if I really wanted to see snow I could book a ski trip. 

I would love to live with weather like this. My winter wardrobe is out of hand. I live where it can be 4 seasons in one week except for the blazing hot humidity of July and August and the cold of winter (I hate winter). I'd even take consistency in the seasons, but no, the other day it was mid 80s and today the high is going to be 55. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

It's cold and rainy today, so I don't have much hope for tomorrow. Either we freeze outside or somehow try to squeeze everyone into the house. At least I know most of the people are vaccinated, but I don't know how we'll fit into a room. Last weekend was 80 and sunny and the forecast for next weekend is 76 and sunny so why did I have to pick this weekend?😟

Is it too late to set up a tent with side walls outside? 

Maybe the people who don’t get cold easier can gather out there and spread the guests out a bit

• Like 1

We are keeping two homes for retirement. Ours here in Michigan so we can enjoy the Great Lakes from May - October. And then after the fall color, head to Northern Alabama for the rest of the gloomy fall and all of winter. We do like to ski, so at some point each year will head back north for a week at Schuss Mountain. Winter is so hard on older folks here. I think we will be healthier there as we age.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, fraidycat said:

5 years. It was hell. Mostly 10-20 degrees OVER 75. 75 is my max. 😂 Beautiful city, awful weather. But, you live on a boat, right? The weather would be better on the coast. We were inland/east. National City, Mira Mesa, and Eastlake. Hot. 🥵 I hid indoors in the a/c for your 90%, and enjoyed the other 10. 😎

Yes, we live in our RV at a campground in Pacific Beach or on the sailboat at the Hyatt in Mission Bay. The weather is very different in coastal SD vs inland even 5 miles because of the marine layer. It is a very rare day that it ever gets over 85-90 on the water, and many homes in the coastal communities don't even have AC because the Pacific here is COLD. So, ocean breezes are very cool. We don't have humidity or bugs, so you can just leave the patio doors open and cool the whole place down. 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

You don't fancy LLLLLOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE in the air?

This may be worse than love bug season when I lived in Georgia.  At least the love bugs were quiet.

At this point in my life I appreciate real seasons and that built-in rest that a (reasonable) winter season can give you, eve if I hate the lack of light.  I don't want to live in constant sunshine if it means water is in short supply.  I can't get my brain around that being a sound idea. Right now I'm paying about $100/month for water and sewage.  I really don't want that number to go up any more.  I like to garden, but I'm too lazy for constant watering, so I need nature to do some of that for me.  I tend to run out of big planting energy by June and I need things to mostly be automatic for the summer.  

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tina said:

Can you use the garage for overflow in case of rain?  Guys might hang out there.  We always end up with tables in our garage for these type of things.

No, my husband is a scrapper and the garage is full of stuff he still needs to sort. It's a frequent area of contention between us. Trust me, nobody wants to hang out in our garage.

• Haha 1

@mom2scouts  still hoping for the best for you tomorrow.  No matter what it will be cold, damp, and breezy/windy.  But rain chances are below 50% for much of the day and I think it will be much lighter than we've had today.  Still, absolutely nothing like it was last weekend.  I'm really sorry.  I hate planning anything outdoors for this reason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Yes, we live in our RV at a campground in Pacific Beach or on the sailboat at the Hyatt in Mission Bay. The weather is very different in coastal SD vs inland even 5 miles because of the marine layer. It is a very rare day that it ever gets over 85-90 on the water, and many homes in the coastal communities don't even have AC because the Pacific here is COLD. So, ocean breezes are very cool. We don't have humidity or bugs, so you can just leave the patio doors open and cool the whole place down. 

I might like living in this San Diego. 😎

As far as sunshine goes, I looked it up. Even though it gets dang cold here, it's still sunny most of the time. We average around 319 days per year with at least some measurable sunshine.
For comparison, I looked at Orlando, FL where Katie might get stabby without her sun, LOL - where they get 236 sunny days. 🤷🏻‍♀️

All stats are from the same website, but measurements seem to be a little different from U.S. to Canada cities. I used currentresults.com.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

@mom2scouts  still hoping for the best for you tomorrow.  No matter what it will be cold, damp, and breezy/windy.  But rain chances are below 50% for much of the day and I think it will be much lighter than we've had today.  Still, absolutely nothing like it was last weekend.  I'm really sorry.  I hate planning anything outdoors for this reason.

I rarely plan anything outdoors because this is usually what happens, but its been so nice that I didn't think it could get this cold again. Someday maybe I'll learn! The next two weekends dd has recital stuff and last week we had something that kept us out late on Friday and the week before was a family birthday party. I already wasn't thrilled about a holiday weekend where lots of people already have plans and can't come, but I had to pick a date and I guess I picked wrong. I have more things to do this month than the entire past 14 months combined!

We're moving all of the furniture out of the way and planning for an indoor event. DIL almost wasn't going to come to an indoor event until I convinced her that all known guests have had the vaccine. Older DS's flight keeps getting delayed and I told him it's probably because of a snowstorm. LOL. Well, no matter what, DS will graduate and we'll have some kind of celebration even if it's not what we hoped for.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, *Jessica* said:

I grew up in Buffalo and now I live in TN. I had no idea how oppressive the weather was until I got away. I even remember summers being awful with heat and humidity and no air conditioning. I don’t love the heat here but mostly we can stay in AC or water. The only time it was really bad was kids playing sports in it but we are past that stage now. 

The sunshine makes such a difference. We still get cold days and we get ice more than snow in the winter which isn’t fun. But so many sunny days sprinkled in with the bad ones. It’s such a quality of life difference.

Until we have tornadoes. Then I want to move.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

As far as sunshine goes, I looked it up. Even though it gets dang cold here, it's still sunny most of the time. We average around 319 days per year with at least some measurable sunshine.
For comparison, I looked at Orlando, FL where Katie might get stabby without her sun, LOL - where they get 236 sunny days. 🤷🏻‍♀️

All stats are from the same website, but measurements seem to be a little different from U.S. to Canada cities. I used currentresults.com.

Ok, so...first choice is I win the lottery and move to San Diego on the water (although not sure I like a cold ocean....hmmm), but what are of the country do you get more sun that me? I may move in with you...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, so...first choice is I win the lottery and move to San Diego on the water (although not sure I like a cold ocean....hmmm), but what are of the country do you get more sun that me? I may move in with you...

Saskatchewan, Canada. The Land of Living Skies. I looooove the skies here, so pretty!

It might take you a bit to acclimate to the winter. 😎

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Wait just a minute. You're telling me that I could move to Canada and still get almost twice as much sunshine as I do here?😲 I might not mind the cold so much if we had more sunny days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom2scouts said:

Wait just a minute. You're telling me that I could move to Canada and still get almost twice as much sunshine as I do here?😲 I might not mind the cold so much if we had more sunny days.

In the prairies, at least. AB, SK, MB. Closer to the great lakes and coasts, it's probably cloudier. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Calgary is apparently the sunniest city in Canada with an average of 333 sunny days.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-sunniest-cities-in-canada.html

ETA: According to this article, you can get lots of sun in some Ontario and B.C. cities, too.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2