Menu

Insomnia following COVID vaccine

klmama

I’d guess it has little to do with the vaccine and more to do with a growth spurt, possibly combined with higher than usual histamine due to seasonal allergies. 

It’s normal for teen sleeping patterns to shift dramatically with no warning. You can speak to your pediatrician to confirm, but my guess is if it isn’t interfering in daily life there’s not much to do but accept it & push for proper sleep hygiene. 

Edited by Katy

Yes, it lasted a few days after my 1st dose, and just one day after my 2nd. I often have a hard time falling back to sleep if I am woken up, but this was more extreme. I can't really offer any advice other than waiting it out. Sorry your teen is dealing with that. 

Edited by amiesmom
Spelling

9 minutes ago, klmama said:

My teen got the COVID vaccine two weeks ago, and since then has struggled with severe insomnia.  Has anyone else dealt with this?  Did you/they get better?  How?

I know adults it happened to. It was a few days of very limited sleep at night (abt 2 hours) and no sleep during day.

after about a week, night time sleep was back to normal. 

They had tried napping during day, which didn’t work at first, but after a few days, they were able to nap.

14 minutes ago, Katy said:

I’d guess it has little to do with the vaccine and more to do with a growth spurt, possibly combined with higher than usual histamine due to seasonal allergies. 

It’s normal for teen sleeping patterns to shift dramatically with no warning. You can speak to your pediatrician to confirm, but my guess is if it isn’t interfering in daily life there’s not much to do but accept it & push for proper sleep hygiene. 

This is severely interfering with daily life.  This dc has good sleep hygiene, is no longer growing, and has no allergies.  

• Sad 3

I don’t know anything about it post vaccine. But it was a problem for some people after the illness itself. I suggested to one person I knew with it increasing various supplements of things that might have been depleted and can affect sleep such as magnesium (threonate specifically), zinc, vitamin D, (there are lists online of micronutrients that affect sleep )  and also to perhaps use some melatonin (eta time release type) and that all seemed to help — but I’m not sure “depletion” would follow vaccine like it would an illness with sweats and so forth where zinc and magnesium might be sweated out and used up as body fights the infection. 

Edited by Pen
Adding specific details
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, amiesmom said:

I often have a hard time falling back to sleep if I am woken up, but this was more extreme. 

Yes, falling asleep again is a big part of the problem.  Dc has had sleep troubles for a while, but this is definitely more extreme.  

I have a teen with sleep troubles (predating the vaccine), and melatonin is helpful. She was still waking in the night, so I had her combine it with an l-Theanine tablet, and that worked so well for her. There are some melatonin gummies made by Olly that have l-theanine in them as well, but I think she got a stronger effect by taking a separate l-theanine (I expect the dosage is lower in the gummy). Magnesium can be super helpful as well, if you’d rather start there. 

• Like 2

I had trouble for a bit and ended up taking melatonin for the first time ever. I posted about it in the personal vaccine story thread.  It’s worked itself out now and I don’t need the melatonin anymore.

39 minutes ago, klmama said:

Dc already takes timed-release melatonin; maybe we should increase the amount. Thanks for the tip on l-theanine and magnesium.  

Not sure about L-theanine — it might be helpful too perhaps

In case it was my comment though, what I meant was Magnesium L Threonate (sometimes also called things like NeuroMag) was the specific form of magnesium that seemed to help taken at or an hour or so before bedtime (amount as per on bottle).  And it is a form that does not tend to cause loose stools. 

an Epsom salts bath before bed maybe could also help both the magnesium and maybe the warm bath too. 

56 minutes ago, Pen said:

Epsom salts bath before bed maybe could also help both the magnesium and maybe the warm bath too. 

Thanks.  I think dc would be willing to try that.  At this point, dc would try anything! 

• Like 1

I think I had some issues with that as well. My first shot was back in January when I was getting over a couple months' insomnia and I think the shot made it worse when the insomnia was just getting better. But things did settle down again. 

I have found that sublingual melatonin seems to work better for me, and at times I've taken that along with a slow-release pill to help fall asleep/stay asleep. I think the worries over not falling asleep make it much worse, so hopefully after a night or two of good sleep things will get better. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, klmama said:

Thanks.  I think dc would be willing to try that.  At this point, dc would try anything! 

I was thinking of a weighted blanket. Might that help? 

I know you said they have good sleep hygienic...but room dark as possible, no screens, no exercise or heavy meals close to bed time...no caffeine

my family has a tendency to have the opposite reactions to chemical stuff that is supposed to help with sleep. But maybe if your kid is different, you can ask your pediatrician for a small prescription for something, since theyre already taking melatonin.

• Like 1

I have had insomnia since my first dose. At first I did not connect it with the vaccine and related it to other stressful events in my life. But, by coincidence, it started for me along with other symptoms of the vaccine. I had a harder time with the first dose of Pfizer than most others in my family and it seems that insomnia is one of the issues.

I have been out in the blazing midday sun and also drinking chamomile tea before bed. Would that help your son?

• Like 1