Menu

Clean up the school room/area/materials challenge?

Y'all....I could use some motivation. Our school year isn't done yet, but I need some uh, accountability, in finishing up portfolios and cleaning up the school room. My oldest is graduated, my middles are headed back to brick and mortar, and I need to lighten the load and let go of some things.  Youngest may continue at home for the rest of her school journey, but I'd love to adjust our school room to fit her personality and interests. To do that, I need to rearrange. To rearrange, I need to donate a bunch of stuff I have sentimental (or $$$) ties to.  I just need to do it.  I also need to see what I might need to order for fall. I've already discovered that I have 17 dozen pencils and only one eraser.  The 2020 school year was a doozy and I need to burn some sage and have only good energy vibes left in here, iykwim.

Anyone want to join in and help hold me accountable? 

• Like 5

Ok: goals for today:

1. Haul all of the stuff I already have thinned downstairs in preparation for listing on the donate page

2. Straighten the high school bookcase and dust it well, make book/supply ordering list as needed

Tomorrow:

1. Go through science lab supplies, and make sure everything is stored properly. Wash all beakers/tubes/glasswear and re-gather stuff from bedrooms and elsewhere. (College aged kid had to raid for supplies for an engineering lab.)

• Like 4

Ok, I am in.  We had a dr. appt today, so am just now getting to school, but I have a  big list for the course of the first two weeks of June.  My odd graduated last year, and her school shelf set up is still there from the 2019-2020 year.  I could really use that space.  I did haul a big tub of books to a used book sale and sold ten items only, but did better in a consignment sale, so I will do another consignment sale in August and hopefully sell a bunch there again.  Plus our homeschool group will do a book sale day when we start back up, so I am ok, with just boxing things up for sale for now. 

But to dos: 

1.  Clean off college girls' homeschool shelf, decide what to file, what to toss, what books to sell and what to move to mdd's school shelf for the year, or what to store.  But take it all down. 

2.  Write up dd16's records in her Well Trained Day planner.  We write day to day what she has done.  I want to fill out the end of month summaries to record how many volunteer hours, field trips, and special projects she did each month for our records as we are getting closer to writing out those scholarship applications and college essays next  year. 

3.  Get paperwork filled out for ACT for accomodations, and get a letter from her therapy center before the June deadline. 

4. clean off dd7's school desk.  File papers, collect and store used workbooks, etc. Decide what of hers that I can sell now that she is outgrowing preschooly things and add to the sale bucket!

5. Register for the next consignment sale. 

6.  Get the parent taught driver's ed final set up and select a test date for dd16 over the summer. 

7.  Order dd16's chemistry set and audio book for next year. 

8. Order dd16's spelling from IEW for next year. 

9. Buy dd7's phonics for next year. 

***** Ok that is an all summer big projects list.  But I will be doing the cleaning stuffs and the most time critical to do's in the next two weeks.  Planning and ordering can sit on the back burner. Just getting it off of my mind. 

• Like 3

High school bookcase is done. It was mostly a tidy and straighten job, but I was able to free up about 8" on the bookshelf, which allowed me to finally relocate all office supplies into the same place.  It also looks like fall school supply buying should be minimal, so that helps me free up more budget dollars for laser printer toner. 🙂

I was able to free up the area by the printer, so I no longer have to lean over a couple of boxes to reach it.  Those archive boxes have moved over by where a bookcase used to be. (I donated the bookcase and a bookcase's worth of books.)

Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.

I'm really dreading going through all of the science lab stuff. I am stocked for grades 3-12, and it is a lot.  I did find my platform scale and calibration weights and my bigger beakers.  Everything is slowly getting gathered in. 

My admin list looks a lot like yours, 2_girls!

• Like 3

This thought exercise would just make me cry, endlessly. I have made two major cross country moves in the last 5 years. I did major purges each time (hundreds of books) and I am running pretty lean in my homeschool. 

My main issue is that I live with people with ADD/ADHD. I am tidying up after they have run amuck in the schoolroom. This isn’t a matter of them destroying the place—it’s that items left the chemistry lab and didn’t get returned or office supplies were used up and not put on the reorder list. I am essentially re-inventorying the place for fall and working on portfolios from this past year as we finish up and can put stuff away from everyone’s work station. 2020 was a doozy in that I had 4 extra people home during the day messing with my stuff. 😉 

My secondary issue is that my Youngest is just a completely differently different child than my others. The stuff I have on the shelf for third grade-FLL, WWE, etc. isn’t going to work for her. I need to empty those shelves and just start over with her needs in mind and it’s exhausting to contemplate. I am saving that shelf sort and purge for Friday.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

Funny about the chocolate!!  And I understand the ADHD issues.  We live in a small, small house that has never really been purged- 20 years of living here, 15 of homeschooling all levels, three kids living here, one with ADHD, one young one, and a dh with ADHD.  I constantly look for stuff that they rearrange.  And shut the cabinet doors and put up the cooking oil they got out and didn't return, and call them back to finish the kitchen that they thought they tidied, etc. etc. For reference, we just dug up a flower bed that we haven't touched since we moved in, 20 years ago that was beautifully landscaped at the time, and that I have fought the weeds in for the last ten years or so...  It is just one project after another and survival as far as house stuff here.  

So adding to my to do list: Clean off the desk in my room so that I can use it for my crafts and teacher books instead of storing boxes of unused books!!  If I can clean off enough other places so that I can store the boxes of books from that desk, clean out the board books in dd7's room so that I can move the chapter books onto her shelf and out of my room, I can move the desk books there, and I can have my craft stuff in one place instead of repacking it into a storage tub everyday after I use it.  

• Like 1

I just emptied an IKEA roller cart (Raskog) of school things and have shuffled it downstairs to function as my new/first ever bar cart. I've taken up a Friday evening cocktail hour during the pandemic, and now I can have a dedicated spot for that. It should be easy to roll out onto the deck when we have guests.  The stuff that had been in the cart have gone into one of the Trofast workboxes (older dd now stores her stuff in her desk, and she's off to public school next year, so it will just be math tutorial & science labs for her with me).  I labeled all of those workboxes, so everything has a dedicated and labeled spot---hopefully it will help my ADD family members get stuff back to the right spot.

I have a second Raskog cart (my boys each had one for their school stuff a couple of houses ago) that I'm hoping to turn into a tea station for me.  I have my eye on a Bodum gooseneck electric kettle.  I could make tea and pour-over coffee up here. 🙂 I'm still working on finding places for the things currently in that cart, and I need to free up some more shelf space to make it work. I'm down to only three bookcases for school things!

I've gotten through my flammables shelf and my oxidizers, just need to move on to my corrosives.  Middle ds has chem next year.  My girls are doing life science next year, and I know I have a few slides I need to replace that didn't survive the last move and I'll need to order more agar and stuff.  Hopefully I can get through that today, I have a grocery order to pick up this afternoon.

Friday: the remaining bookcases & the elementary school stuff tidy and clean-out, set aside stuff for fall

this weekend: list all on giveaway site

Tuesday next week: all of the IEP and SPED paperwork & that kid's portfolio

Wednesday next week: other child's portfolio & work station

Thursday next week: another child's portfolio & work station

Friday next week: filing cabinet & all of the west wall of the schoolroom stuff

Monday following week (6/7): my desk, back up all files, emergency grab & go tech bag-wildfires

Tuesday following week: old electronics wipe & recycling, assess free thumb drives & earbuds for everyone situation, price new laptop, order laser printer cartridges & cardstock 

Wednesday following week: art supplies & math manipulatives--put sharpener blades in Dick Blick order

Thursday following week: PE equipment--order new yoga mat, schedule bike repair dd

Friday following week: schedule dr visits & call district for coordination with fresh paperwork for epipen carry for fall

Monday 6/14: create nice IRL Zoom background view--wash curtains, bring in plants, patch and paint where blinds were taken down, price new blinds

Tuesday: pre-load what does work for fall for Youngest into workboxes, rough sketch plans for the rest

Wednesday: scrub chairs & table--try to get off paint flecks, condition leather my chair

Thursday: return equipment to charter school for ds

Friday: leave kids and dh behind, lay on beach all afternoon, be home for supper

Monday 6/21: clean upstairs carpets with carpet cleaner

Daily check in:

I am finding so many programs that were just duds for us, it's a bit disheartening. Breaking the barrier Spanish, Visual Latin, Moving Beyond the Page, Apologia Science...I'm looking at you. 

I'm also stacking up readers to go drop at our Little Free Library.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

• Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 7:30 PM, WTM said:

Nothing like moving to help you figure out how to winnow mercilessly.

How about you do a thought exercise where you pretend you're moving?

I keep telling people I need to either (1) move house or (2) have a baby so I go through the nesting and all the cleaning/purging/organizing that goes with it! I’m definitely too old for a baby, and I have no interest in moving, so I guess I’ll have to buckle down and find other motivation to clean out our basement playroom and storage area. Youngest is 12 so we should be able to get rid of most toys, right?! I really need to purge 15 years worth of homeschool curriculum and book hoarding! I guess I’ll just advertise for free on local boards; I don’t find attempts to sell at all worth the time/trouble!

• Like 2

Okay, I have been steadily working.  The literature shelves are half decent again, school supplies organized, and the language shelves need a bit of work, but they're getting better. 

Unfortunately, work halted due to the appearance of two large spiders who did not like me disturbing their web in the corner.  When I gather my courage again I'll send in the eviction papers and moving truck....err...cup...to take them out to the woods where they belong.

• Like 3

We've been done with school for 3 weeks now and I still have a ways to go. Every time I walk in my bedroom it feels very overwhelming (I just brought all the stuff in there and dumped it). I'm trying the approach of, "just make it better"-if I can get one book moved that is better. That's been motivating and I'm slowly seeing progress. We're doing 2 more weeks of summer break, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to vacuum in here again soon! I've got 2/3 of the art cabinet sorted and 3/4 of the bookshelf. I need to find a place for preschool stuff (no more bookshelf room...), a new home for a LEGO set that we're keeping away from ds1, and sort through a pile of kids clothes we were given. I also still need to finish planning school for next year so I can move all trillion of the books on my dresser into their home in the school room. One step of "better" at a time...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Unfortunately, work halted due to the appearance of two large spiders who did not like me disturbing their web in the corner.  When I gather my courage again I'll send in the eviction papers and moving truck....err...cup...to take them out to the woods where they belong.

Eeps!!!  It would take me awhile to get back in there. I've been thinking I haven't seen a spider in our house in awhile...it's probably due to happen soon...😬

I have been cleaning out our school stuff and simultaneously planning for next year as well! I think it's fun, but its taking a long time...I'm not sure what I will get to today.

Incedentally,  I have had pretty good luck selling on homeschool classifieds. It is easy and free if your not listing too many items at once. A year subscription to list more items is cheap too. 

• Like 3

On 5/27/2021 at 3:58 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Monday 6/14: create nice IRL Zoom background view-

Ooo, that's smart! My ds just sets his backgrounds to be something weird (a kitten, aquarium, whatever). He sits/reclines in a big moon shaped chair that happens to be solid green, so the computer has no trouble isolating him from the background. So your decor changes sound fine, but they aren't the only way. 

16 hours ago, fourisenough said:

so I guess I’ll have to buckle down and find other motivation to clean out our basement playroom and storage area.

Yup, lol And I can tell op what *not* to do. Don't say you have to go fast and just haul the stuff out of the room and put it in another room. :biggrin:  I do manage to keep a clean office for ds, but it comes at the expense of the other places stuff overflows to... 

So yeah, I'm at the really let's just move this stuff out point. But ironically, my (ahem) collection may still be useful. He's actually just now to where he will read a level 3 reader for pleasure level, easy reading. His tested reading level is higher but this is an independent level. So all those books I've been sitting on for how many years may actually get used! 

On 5/26/2021 at 7:46 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

My secondary issue is that my Youngest is just a completely differently different child than my others. The stuff I have on the shelf for third grade-FLL, WWE, etc. isn’t going to work for her. I need to empty those shelves and just start over with her needs in mind and it’s exhausting to contemplate. I am saving that shelf sort and purge for Friday.

I know. I have all my dd's stuff and it's so hard to predict what *might* come into reach for ds. It's probably easy to predict what won't, sigh. The ceiling will be lower, like maybe her junior high will be his high school if he's lucky. They're just very different.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:58 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

that I'm hoping to turn into a tea station for me.  I have my eye on a Bodum gooseneck electric kettle.

This!! I JUST moved a table into my sunroom to do this!! I hadn't thought of a rolling cart. I looked for a little something then realized I had this small one (antique) that would work. I took my electric tea pot from the kitchen to put it in and ds had a cow, saying that was for HIS OATMEAL. So there you go. I will check out your option and see. My current is purple, which looks nice in my bright yellow sun room if I do say so. And I thought a tea station there could be just the thing. I should get my butt in gear and get it done. I've been so stressed with my dad that I haven't set up the station to drink tea and lower my stress. Hahaha. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LauraClark said:

Eeps!!!  It would take me awhile to get back in there. I've been thinking I haven't seen a spider in our house in awhile...it's probably due to happen soon...😬

I did HBOT for three months and now I have not only cobwebs but this mysterious brown dot stuff and particulate that I don't even WANT to know where it came from. So much cleaning, sigh. I just keep working, bit by bit. On the plus side, when your head works better, it's easier to get your chickens in order! 

Well, I have had two examples that I may just be lazy this week, lol.  Example no. 1:  I have wanted to try a chip drop for free mulch for a while now.  Dh was against it because it will be so much that we have to use (lots of projects around the yard and/or getting rid of it when we are done.) But last year we hauled two truck loads from somebody's else's chip drop to our house, plus two truck loads to a garden dd16 built at another location.  So I figured we might as well get the drop here, since we use that much anyway.  Never having done it and not knowing the average wait time, I signed up for one as one of my computer to do's on Monday morning, thinking in the next couple of weeks sometimes I would have a giant pile of mulch dropped off, during the two weeks I have designated for house work.  The truck showed up within the hour while I was still doing school with dd7 on our last week of school.  So all bets were off.  The pile was huge, and dh and I immediately began digging up the front overgrown weedy flower bed that I have been wanting him to dig up for the last two years.  We had that bed dug up in an hour, and then dh had to go to work, and the girls and I ended up laying down the bed liner, digging up the brick border, and putting it back and mulching it ourselves.  All in all another couple of hours.  Then I worked for days hauling mulch all around the house and yard to all of the places I envisioned it.  Projects that we had been putting off forever took just a few days. 

Then I found a box of dress up clothes under dd7's bed that the new kitten had decided was as good as a litter box, and I had to really deep clean her room, tossed bags of things, cleaned every surface, washed all bedding and toys, etc.  And I did that in one day.  My spring cleaning doesn't take that long if I would just do it, lol! 

So I am keeping that in mind.  Tomorrow's job is to clean off dd7's desk and toss and file and separate things for a book sale.  Her area is easier and more fun than high school stuff and records, so I start with her area!  Monday is Memorial Day and we have plans, so I won't do a lot, but Tuesday I start the to do list hard and swiftly!  I hope. 🙂

• Like 1

Yeah, I know there are backgrounds for Zoom and Google Meets, but I've been on a lot of FaceTime calls lately through my laptop and the current view is not flattering. 🙂  The blurry distortion around the edge of the filters kinda drives me nuts too. Like, what are you hiding? Are you a secret hoarder? 🤣

• Haha 1

At least don't do like some of the people I see and have a fireplace mantle at the level of your head with an object sticking STRAIGHT UP like it's growing out of your head. Always blows my mind that people want to look like strange aliens with things coming vertically out of their heads. Just saying.

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2021 at 6:03 PM, JessinTX said:

Oh I'm in! I need to do this. I've had making a list of things to do in the schoolroom this summer on my to do list all week. So I guess that's first. 

Is it a bad sign when I'm making lists of lists I need to make? 

If so, I am right there with you!!  Making lists of the lists we need to make is step one to getting it done for me!!  I am planning a giant whiteboard broken down into lists of things I need to do to the house, for church, for scouts, for school paperwork, and for school planning and checking off parts of each daily!!  Todays physical school area to do: 15 min on dd7's desk!   Then 15 minutes of cleaning floors- starting with my room because I had a spider this morning and I want to clean out any dark hiding spots behind furniture for webs.  15 min of driver's ed planning which should be making an appointment for dd16's  driving test and finding the teacher's book to schedule her AAA parent taught test date online which has to come before the driving test. 15 minutes of sending a text for church curriculum ordering if the lady doesn't answer my email.  no scout work today.  Then an hour or more of Latin answer key writing tonight when dh is on kid duty. Dinner is take out on Tuesdays, so I am off the hook there! I had to work my part time job this morning, then took dd7 to the library, so we are just getting started on to dos after lunch before the teens get home from work today.  

I didn't get stuff listed this weekend.

I still need to get the new IEP from the coordinator before I can put all of that away, but the rest is all gathered and collated.

Ds began shoveling out his room today, and I got a lot of things back, including my platform scale, holepunch, and tape dispenser. I also got one of the USB headsets with a microphone back. 

I'm helping dd start shoveling on her room today instead.  A lot of things got dumped March 2020, and not dealt with.  We're slowly gathering school things back together for when she heads back to brick and mortar in the fall.

• Like 1

I got everything pulled from college dd's high school homeschool shelf.  I got things into a few notebooks of things to keep (artwork, papers she wrote, a state history scrapbook we made throughout school years...) threw away all of the papers and emptied all of the comp books and such.  I still have her actual records folder to go through- the one where I threw everything important and that we would just dig through when we needed something... awards, college letters, ACTs and SAT paperwork and scores, transcripts, etc. I need to declutter down to the necessities and figure out the long term storage of this stuff.  I got dd7's desk cleaned out and a basket of summer learning stuffs and to do posters made for her.  I got her 2nd grade books all out neatly on the shelf that formerly held dd18's stuff.   So two things on my list done. 

• Like 2

Nice work, everyone! Thanks to some cool, rainy weather over the long weekend, I made significant progress in our basement playroom/storage space. DD12 and I pulled most things out, cleaned thoroughly, and re-arranged the furniture after washing and replacing the slipcovers on couch & chair. We eliminated a couple of bags of ‘stuff’ (that I’ve already trashed or dropped off for donation) and she created a new craft/work space.

Unfortunately, I didn’t touch the huge, overstuffed bookcase of homeschool stuff nor the 10 or so bankers’ boxes of books. I really need to downsize the collection, but haven’t found the motivation to begin! At least the room is decluttered and clean, which will reduce my aversion to that room, anyway!!

We are scheduled to finish our school year by Saturday morning, so beginning next week, I will at least have much more time on my hands!

• Like 2

Yesterday I stacked a couple of piles together. It probably didn't accomplish anything, but it looks less cluttered.  I'm nearly done with school planning for our first 6 weeks (we start June 14) and then I can move it all off my dresser and out in the school room!  DH is done with school Friday (he's a ps teacher) and then hopefully he can help clean up all the clutter. I like to pretend it's mostly his, but I'm always surprised that it turns out to be mostly mine. 😬

• Like 2

Joining in. We leave for a cross country move at the end of this month. DH, DD, and I all have ADHD. DD and DH are both pack rats, though I am not. Trying to purge as much as possible before movers arrive in less than four weeks. They are gone camping this week, so I’m trying to motivate myself to get as much done as possible with them out of the way. 

My list includes a bit more than school things. 🙂

- I’ve winnowed the school shelves and offered things out to some local friends. I need to list the rest on local groups, eBay, or donate to Goodwill. 

- Same as above with DD’s bookshelves

- Same with the shelves of board games, plus testing the components from an old game system to see if they work before selling/giving away

- Go back through school shelves. There is still too much there to excuse for one kid.

- Need to sort clothes. (Need to admit I will never again wear the smallest size I have in my closet.) could probably sell, but should just donate to get it gone.

- Need to clean out my car and list it to sell. We are only driving one car across the country.

- Need to find a place to recycle the old electronics and do so

- Need to *stop*buying*stuff* until after the move

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 12:58 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Friday: the remaining bookcases & the elementary school stuff tidy and clean-out, set aside stuff for fall

this weekend: list all on giveaway site

Wednesday next week: other child's portfolio & work station

Thursday next week: another child's portfolio & work station

Monday following week (6/7): my desk, back up all files, emergency grab & go tech bag-wildfires

Tuesday following week: old electronics wipe & recycling, assess free thumb drives & earbuds for everyone situation, price new laptop, order laser printer cartridges & cardstock 

Wednesday following week: art supplies & math manipulatives--put sharpener blades in Dick Blick order

Thursday following week: PE equipment--order new yoga mat, schedule bike repair dd

Friday following week: schedule dr visits & call district for coordination with fresh paperwork for epipen carry for fall

Monday 6/14: create nice IRL Zoom background view--wash curtains, bring in plants, patch and paint where blinds were taken down, price new blinds

Tuesday: pre-load what does work for fall for Youngest into workboxes, rough sketch plans for the rest

Wednesday: scrub chairs & table--try to get off paint flecks, condition leather my chair

Friday: leave kids and dh behind, lay on beach all afternoon, be home for supper

Updated for today. I listed the homeschool stuff to giveaway, and cleaned the girls' workstations. I'm going to work on portfolios tonight.

On 6/2/2021 at 12:30 PM, Jackie said:

Joining in. We leave for a cross country move at the end of this month. DH, DD, and I all have ADHD. DD and DH are both pack rats, though I am not. Trying to purge as much as possible before movers arrive in less than four weeks. They are gone camping this week, so I’m trying to motivate myself to get as much done as possible with them out of the way. 

- I’ve winnowed the school shelves and offered things out to some local friends. I need to list the rest on local groups, eBay, or donate to Goodwill. 

- Same with the shelves of board games, plus testing the components from an old game system to see if they work before selling/giving away

- Go back through school shelves. There is still too much there to excuse for one kid.

- Need to sort clothes. (Need to admit I will never again wear the smallest size I have in my closet.) could probably sell, but should just donate to get it gone.

- Need to clean out my car and list it to sell. We are only driving one car across the country.

Clothes are sorted. 

Some friends are coming today and tomorrow to go through the pile of school stuff, books, and games. I have a taker for the video game system, giving it away for free in exchange for not having to test it out first so I don’t distract myself with MarioKart.

• Like 1

We are moving in the fall and I know I need to start purging but I just don’t want to. DS has a lot of toys and books. I need to cut my kitchenware in half. I have a lot of free to me and hand me down curriculum that I hate to part with because he’s only 6 and “I might use it!” 

I want to be a minimalist but I want 12 different types math manipulatives too. 

• Haha 2

We just moved again at the New Year (move #18 for me) so we don’t have much curricula, books, or supplies to purge.

What I do need to get a handle on is whittling down completed materials & putting together DS’ portfolios. We kept schooling straight through last summer due to the pandemic, so now I have two grades worth of material to sort through 😬

• Like 1

I didn't get anything done on the school cleanup front today. Ds needed more school support than anticipated today.  I did end up helping older dd through a clothing purge.  We got everything she'd outgrown pulled out of her closet and sorted away into bins for her younger sister.

I am hoping to catch up a bit this weekend, but younger ds still has two more weeks of school to go so we'll see.  I had planned this so I would be nearby and available but hands off as he studies for finals and writes essays, and it looks like I am needed to be hands on.

After relocating the spiders I've been slowly doing 10 things at a time.  Every time I walk into the room, I organize/put away ten things.

Result?  After a week or so the room is nearly done! 😁I have a bag of supplies that just came back that needs to be gone through, and a bag of trash that needs to go.  Last on the list is a stack of "random": things that don't fit anywhere else: foam sheets, papers, cards...they're in a basket for now but need to be ruthlessly cut.  But it's looking like a suitable place again!

• Like 2

I did the stuff for today, 6/7.

I have one more pickup on the free stuff I offered, and then I will cross-offer it on another board.

I am still waiting for the SPeD coordinator to send over ds’s completed IEP....so still stalled on all of that.

The emergency evacuation school bag got packed. This is good. We had a wildfire pop up about 10 miles from us. I am less worried about fire and more worried about smoke—the smoke is what did us in last September. We decided we would travel with laptops and math only if we are only gone for a few weeks. If everything burns, we have bigger problems to deal with. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I am so behind.  That is all I am saying on this. 🙂

You are not alone. I added one more book to my box of stuff to pass on. Friday there’s a “Swap ‘Til You Drop” that coincides with Park Day so hopefully some progress will be made then…

ETA: I was super excited to find Killgallon materials on my local Freebie group, though! We already have SC for Elem & Middle, but now I have Story Grammar for Elem, Getting Started with SC for Middle, Grammar for Middle, & SC for High School as well. 

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
  • Like 3

I sold a load of furniture. The house feels empty. But it’s less to move and it won’t all fit in the new place anyway. 

Purged the art supplies and re gifted a bunch of library craft kits we never got to. 

I had five math books for next year, finally narrowed it down to a main and a supplement. Trimmed down the math manipulatives. It was painful. 😆

Went through the containers of preschool age laminated stuff and tossed it all. If I have another child I probably won’t even do all that totschool malarkey. 

Finally completed our photo yearbook! 

Still need to purge the board books, puzzles, & my curriculum freebie hordes. I need to organize my digital curriculum PDFs and back them up too. 

On 6/2/2021 at 12:30 PM, Jackie said:

Electronics recycling done yesterday. Goodwill drop off done today. That’s the ENTIRE LIST!

So, now I need a new list:

- Sell or give away the chemistry set. We aren’t using it, and we’ll buy a new kit when DD actually takes chem.

- clear off my desk

- go through the filing box and see what can be trashed

- buy a Rubbermaid to turn into a large car traveling cage for the pet rats for the cross country trip

- Go back through some sections of DD’s bedroom with her to clear out

- a last “tour” of the apartment with a more ruthless eye towards stuff to purge

- make sure all library books are located and returned

- drink the wine and beer in the house because we’re not going to move it 😉

My high schooler finally finished his MLA-documented poetry essay. Y'all!! I didn't think either of us was going to survive that. I had a hard cider each afternoon as we went through how to do the notation.  I'm working on finishing up portfolios today.

Here's the update:

Wednesday next week: other child's portfolio & work station

Thursday next week: another child's portfolio & work station